Post Thanks / Like

Volvo v70

Hi guys as you know my family is getting bigger so I'm thinking about a v70 to get us all out in.. I know they must be good I've been chased by many any body got one what should I look out for? Seen one with 200200 miles on so they can't be that bad plus I can get it upto speed without the mrs knowing

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Volvo v70

there has to be some forums about, they have falling out of the old todger price bracket and are now fair game for the rest of us.. im all over having a volvo at some point, eat miles, look bad a55 and fit everyones needs

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't get a T5 unless you like spending money on fuel like there's no tomorrow!

They eat tyres, suspension & brakes being a 2 tonne car! Some of the earlier V70s had ABS problems with the control module (dry solder). OEM parts are quite expensive but there is plenty of aftermarket stuff available.

All in all they are good cars but will need looking after.

Post Thanks / Like

I want about an 05 model i also love the idea of thw 300bhp t5r keeping it shouldn't be a prob although I might be breaking the 5 to help pay for it.. But that's a last option see how my bonus dose this year

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

If you go for the T5 then be ready for a realistic 15-17 MPG round town, gets very tiresome after a while. £475 12mth road tax on the 2005 is a bit of a sting too, look for 2000 / 2001 cars and the road tax will be half the cost (and be the same body style too)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andy M View Post
    If you go for the T5 then be ready for a realistic 15-17 MPG round town, gets very tiresome after a while. £475 12mth road tax on the 2005 is a bit of a sting too, look for 2000 / 2001 cars and the road tax will be half the cost (and be the same body style too)
    Cheers that's something I never even looked at and that's a definite changer of minds the tax man gets enough of my cash as is.. Insurance was a good quote on the type r but not good enough to be paying that for parking up. Perhaps I should keep looking at other estates any ideas? I've got a new 63plate Astra at the min on loan as someone ****ted the mrs car but the double buggy doesn't fit in I would sooner chop off my arm than have a Citreon paccaso or that type..

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps stay with the V70 but stay away from the T5. They are a good car for a growing family. Perhaps the diesel D5, you need some torque to pull it along! Don't think they had a DPF until 2004 / 2005. Be sure to look up the road tax too.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just remembered another point on the V70 - the horrendous turning circle!! Made parking the thing in tight car parks a nightmare. Parking sensors are a must.

Post Thanks / Like

Audi a4 estate. Or a guilty pleasure of mine is the nissan staega often referred to as the nissan skyline estate obviously miles per gallon not great

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I chopped in my old T5 for an A4 avant few years ago and was happy with the choice The boot in the A4 is much smaller than it looks though, double buggy was a tight squeeze (some may not even fit). V70 boot is huge!

A6 avant will probably be a better choice if you need space, B6 sports will not have DPF. Stay away from the multitronic autos!

Non-member Matt@CodeRedMotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If you get a volvo, you instantly become a member of a exclusive club called B.O.L.OC.
    Or..... The 'British Outside Lane Owners Club'.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@CodeRedMotorsports View Post
    If you get a volvo, you instantly become a member of a exclusive club called B.O.L.OC.
    Or..... The 'British Outside Lane Owners Club'.
    So true always a w@nker in a Volvo in the outside lane doing 70mph and won't let anyone past!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Volvo V50D Sportwagon and a remap?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rs250nut View Post
    So true always a w@nker in a Volvo in the outside lane doing 70mph and won't let anyone past!!!!!
    That's me! I've got an 'R'-reg S70, I can't say I would go for the new shape they seem expensive to me, and even heavier too. Plus more complex than the early ones.

It's had a remap and a stainless exhaust, supposedly about 285 hp. I have a ported cylinder head and bigger intercooler to go on it, might get near 300 brake. It's supposed to have well over 400 Nms of torque.

Cheap, seems reliable so far, tuneable, no image whatsoever but I like the boxy shape

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=D_rSkShVmE4

http://s1322.photobucket.com/user/ja...50c04.mp4.html

Non-member Matt@CodeRedMotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Mpg?.....
    Is it an automatic?
    If the Aircon is intermittent, Hoover out a little vent near the stereo. There is a little spinny wheel thingy in there that stops turning if its full of dust/fluff.
    Delta link rear end on those, can get lively if the bushes get worn.
    Make sure there's grease on the steering lock damper pads (nylon blocks on the lower arms).
    Also the lower arm inner bushes can wear quite quickly on them.
    It looks like its in good condition!

Post Thanks / Like

I've decided Togo down the ex police car route even the mrs now likes the idea.. 300bhp for £3000 full police service history. Fully refurbed no holes etc from expolice.com there on eBay aswell.. We don't eat up the miles anyway so I'm not bother by mpg it's the miles per smile I like.. Mrs works 2mins away in car so no probs there.. Looking forward to some comfy fast lane hogging

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I got an S60 D5. Big car, very safe for the kids, amazing for towing. That 2.5L D5 lump is superb and I get mid-40's on the MPG.

Parts are EXPENSIVE though and there are plenty of common faults to bum your wallet....front wishbones for example!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nottswoody View Post
    We don't eat up the miles anyway so I'm not bother by mpg it's the miles per smile I like..
    famous last words.....

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've decided Togo down the ex police car route even the mrs now likes the idea.. 300bhp for £3000 full police service history. Fully refurbed no holes etc from expolice.com there on eBay aswell.. We don't eat up the miles anyway so I'm not bother by mpg it's the miles per smile I like.. Mrs works 2mins away in car so no probs there.. Looking forward to some comfy fast lane hogging
    Good luck with it matey! Hopefully the consumption is something you can live with!

70 litre tank / £100 to fill - 240 mile range.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

These guys are good for parts, used them a lot:

http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andy M View Post
    Good luck with it matey! Hopefully the consumption is something you can live with!

70 litre tank / £100 to fill - 240 mile range.
    Yer that's quite thirsty no wonder our taxes are so high with all those coppers thrashing it about..

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yer that's quite thirsty no wonder our taxes are so high with all those coppers thrashing it about..
    If the police ever follow you in a T5 and it's just one car, the chances are they will run out of fuel way before they catch you!!

If you go for it stick with the police spec brake pads, you can get them direct from Volvo if you know the sku (search the web / forums). Very, very dusty but much better with fade than std and cheaper than DS2500 which used be ~£140 for just the fronts!