Post Thanks / Like

Renault extra electrical help

Hi guys I'm having problems...
    I've got a renault extra that I've just bought as a workhorse.
    When I bought it the right side indicators fast flashed so I thought it was just a bulb gone.
    On closer inspection I realise that the side and front bulbs are gone on the drivers side as only the rear cluster is flashing and flashing fast, passenger side all seems fine.
    Changed both "blown" bulbs and no change (they didn't look blown either) so I went straight for the relay, which had melted the plastic and absolutely stank.
    Replaced that with a new one hoping that it was just wear and tear but when I put the new one in the side indicator that wasn't working now is working but it's very very faint and the front is still not working, rear cluster has continued to work fine.
    I then put the hazards on and all bulbs did the same.
    Because the problem wasn't resolved by a new flasher relay I checked new relay and it had started melting the plastic like the old one, and started to smell.
    Something's not right, I only bought the van cheap so don't really want to take it to an auto electrician as the only ones I know are rob dogs and will charge me the price of the van.
    I've tried to check earths but couldn't find any that looked related to lights/indicators only main earths from battery to chassis and on the block etc and they're all tight.
    Has anyone got any advice? Or explanation why a relay would get that hot?
    Thanks

Committee Member
    Events
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Renault extra electrical help

I hate electrics and don't understand them but to me it sounds like a short in the wiring leading up to the relay. Can you strip back some of the outer sleeving to try and trace it?

Someone who knows what they're talking about should be along shortly though

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Likely a direct-to-earth short on the loop from the relay to the front indicators. Look for chafed wiring as you follow the wiring back from the bulbs.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorted it, the front cluster had been wired into the side repeater and the contacts in the front cluster were touching.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

On mine was a bad connection on plug under the headlight.