Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

"Thats interesting"

Tell me something interesting

I'll start.

-If you were a batter and I pitched a baseball at you at 90% of the speed of light, we would be disintegrated, everything within roughly a mile would be leveled flat, and a firestorm would engulf the surrounding city.
    As the ball is moving through the air at 600 million miles per hour it causes fusion on the surface of the ball, and the thermonuclear reaction annihilates everything close by.

-If I had one mole of moles, it would cover the surface of the earth to eighty kilometers deep (the edge of space).

This Banana has three Bananas in it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: "Thats interesting"

Very funny!

Mind you though, as the earth rotates at approximately 22000mph, would the baseball not burn up in our atmosphere at anything faster than that let alone at 182000mps?!

Post Thanks / Like

an Elephant's balls are actually held within it's body.... i.e not hanging.

Post Thanks / Like

82 people who read this thread............

Didn't share anything that they felt was worthy of "thats interesting"

96.35% of members to be precise.

Post Thanks / Like

Excel 2003 has 256 columns, a to iv and 65536 rows.

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andybond View Post
    Excel 2003 has 256 columns, a to iv and 65536 rows.
    Or 2 to the power 16 rows and 2 to the power of 8 columns.

Did you know 85% of statistics are made up on the spot

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
    Or 2 to the power 16 rows and 2 to the power of 8 columns.

Did you know 85% of statistics are made up on the spot
    1,048,576 rows by 16,384 columns in 2013

Post Thanks / Like

The automatic popup bread toaster was patented before the bread slicing machine. 1919 and 1928. That’s right, people sliced their own bread for the toaster for almost a decade before sliced bread was sold.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

The best before date on any packet of crisps will always be a Saturday

Post Thanks / Like

1 bar of pressure represented as psi - 14.7psi which is exactly the best value of stoich ie 14.7:1.

Coincidence?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Most people who read the word yawn or yawning will then feel the urge to yawn.

Post Thanks / Like

Ever stuck two fingers up at some one, and Then wondered where it actually originated from?
    The famous V sign originates from the bow and arrow times. When the English were captured by the French, they would cut the two fingers of so they could no longer fire the bow's with precision. During conflict, the English would show the V' sign to the French to show they still had there fingers intact!.

Trader
    GT Turbo Spares co.uk
    South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by m5tt View Post
    Ever stuck two fingers up at some one, and Then wondered where it actually originated from?
    The famous V sign originates from the bow and arrow times. When the English were captured by the French, they would cut the two fingers of so they could no longer fire the bow's with precision. During conflict, the English would show the V' sign to the French to show they still had there fingers intact!.
    Correct

It is difficult to distinguish male and female hyenas by observation (from their genitalia) as they both appear the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TNT ANDY View Post
    1 bar of pressure represented as psi - 14.7psi which is exactly the best value of stoich ie 14.7:1.

Coincidence?
    No, really, is it?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andy M View Post
    The best before date on any packet of crisps will always be a Saturday
    I believe this was true in the majority but there are exceptions.

-Space.
    Getting to space is easy (relatively), staying there is very hard. Gravity in low Earth orbit is about 90% as strong as we feel on the surface.
    To avoid falling back into the atmosphere, you have to go sideways really, really fast.
    The speed you need to stay in orbit is about 8 kilometers per second. Only a fraction of a rocket's energy is used to lift up out of the atmosphere, the vast majority of it is used to gain orbital speed.

The ISS (International Space Station) moves so quickly that if you fired a rifle bullet from one end of a football field, the International Space Station could cross the whole length of the field before the bullet travelled 10 yards.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

A strand of human hair three inches in diameter would be strong enough to restrain a 747 at full thrust

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rob1980 View Post
    Very funny!

Mind you though, as the earth rotates at approximately 22000mph, would the baseball not burn up in our atmosphere at anything faster than that let alone at 182000mps?!
    Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: (well...you asked!)

The ball is going so fast that everything else is practically stationary. Even the molecules in the air are stationary. Air molecules vibrate back and forth at a few hundred miles per hour, but the ball is moving through them at 600 million miles per hour. This means that as far as the ball is concerned, they’re just hanging there, frozen.
    The ideas of aerodynamics don’t apply here. Normally, air would flow around anything moving through it, but the air molecules in front of this ball don’t have time to be moved out of the way. The ball smacks into them so hard that the atoms in the air molecules actually fuse with the atoms in the ball’s surface. Each collision releases a burst of gamma rays and scattered particles. These gamma rays and debris expand outward in a bubble centred on the pitcher’s mound. They start to tear apart the molecules in the air, ripping the electrons from the nuclei and turning the air in the stadium into an expanding bubble of incandescent plasma. The wall of this bubble approaches the batter at about the speed of light—only slightly ahead of the ball itself.
    The constant fusion at the front of the ball pushes back on it, slowing it down, as if the ball were a rocket flying tail-first while firing its engines. Unfortunately, the ball is going so fast that even the tremendous force from this ongoing thermonuclear explosion barely slows it down at all. It does, however, start to eat away at the surface, blasting tiny particulate fragments of the ball in all directions. These fragments are going so fast that when they hit air molecules, they trigger two or three more rounds of fusion.
    After about 70 nanoseconds the ball arrives at home plate. The batter hasn't even seen the pitcher let go of the ball, since the light carrying that information arrives at about the same time the ball does. Collisions with the air have eaten the ball away almost completely, and it is now a bullet-shaped cloud of expanding plasma (mainly carbon, oxygen, hydrogen, and nitrogen) ramming into the air and triggering more fusion as it goes. The shell of x-rays hits the batter first, and a handful of nanoseconds later the debris cloud hits.
    When it reaches the batter, the centre of the cloud is still moving at an appreciable fraction of the speed of light. It hits the bat first, but then the batter, plate, and catcher are all scooped up and carried backward through the backstop as they disintegrate. The shell of x-rays and superheated plasma expands outward and upward, swallowing the backstop, both teams, the stands, and the surrounding neighbourhood—all in the first microsecond.
    Watching from a hilltop outside the city, the first thing you see is a blinding light, far outshining the sun. This gradually fades over the course of a few seconds, and a growing fireball rises into a mushroom cloud. Then, with a great roar, the blast wave arrives, tearing up trees and shredding houses.
    Everything within roughly a mile of the park is levelled, and a fire-storm engulfs the surrounding city. The baseball diamond is now a sizeable crater.

Post Thanks / Like

Ha ha! Where did you copy and paste that from?? I assume that this is just theory as the speed of light is not acheivable at the moment? Or you have a bl**dy strong arm!

Astro physics is not really my strong point, I am just a Civil Engineer so common physics is all I can relate too!

Post Thanks / Like

It was more to do with the long bow inparticular if my brain remembers correctly...

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

No, really, is it?

I've got a book about pressure relationships and all that really ****e boring stuff, I'll try an dig it out and copy it on to you lol

14.696 psi is standard atmospheric pressure, which is why it's used for air fuel ratio (I think)
    Last edited by TopCat; 02-10-2013 at 12:55.

Post Thanks / Like

In the sub-aqua world of seahorses, it's the male that gives birth, having first been boned by the female's protruding oviduct

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rob1980 View Post
    Or you have a bl**dy strong arm!
    Despite the immense workout my right arm got in my young teenage years, sadly, I cannot pitch a 0.9c baseball

And yes, I did copy and paste it. I only go to geek factor 99 on aged forced induction french rotboxes

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    In the sub-aqua world of seahorses, it's the male that gives birth, having first been boned by the female's protruding oviduct
    Last edited by DaveL485; 02-10-2013 at 13:50.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TopCat View Post

I've got a book about pressure relationships and all that really ****e boring stuff, I'll try an dig it out and copy it on to you lol

14.696 psi is standard atmospheric pressure, which is why it's used for air fuel ratio (I think)
    A stoichiometric mixture has the right amount of air to completely burn the available fuel.

If you change the makeup of the air, or the fuel, the 14.7:1 will alter....so for example NitroMethane stoich is about 1.7:1

I think it's probably just a coincidence. Leading neatly on to Nitro Top Fuel dragsters.

Take a Lingerfelter Twin Turbo Corvette (about a thousand horsepower) and start back about a mile or so, accelerating as fast as you can, reaching your top speed of ~200 MPH. You pass the starting line of a 1/4 mile strip where a Top Fuel dragster is sitting, static, waiting for you. As you cross the starting line, the light turns green.

Within 3 seconds you are deafened by the incredible whine of the dragster, which has caught up to you. He passes and beats you to the end of the 1320-foot quarter mile with ease.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveL485 View Post

Take a Lingerfelter Twin Turbo Corvette (about a thousand horsepower) and start back about a mile or so, accelerating as fast as you can, reaching your top speed of ~200 MPH. You pass the starting line of a 1/4 mile strip where a Top Fuel dragster is sitting, static, waiting for you. As you cross the starting line, the light turns green.

Within 3 seconds you are deafened by the incredible whine of the dragster, which has caught up to you. He passes and beats you to the end of the 1320-foot quarter mile with ease.
    Thats interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

If its at 3 secs then the Lingerfelter would have only travelled 880ft out of the 1320ft strip

Post Thanks / Like

they way you think electricity flows in a car is wrong, in the eyes of science there is the electron flow theory in which it flows from positive to negative.

take the parts of an atom proton (positive) neutron (neutral) and electron (negative)

the definition of electricity is "the flow of electrons from atom to atom"

Post Thanks / Like

The only 15 letter word that can be spelled without repeating a letter is "uncopyrightable"

Post Thanks / Like

The longest word which can be typed on a keyboard on the same row is "typewriter"

Committee Member
    Social Media
    Post Thanks / Like

To know when to mate, a male giraffe will continuously headbutt the female in the bladder until she urinates. The male then tastes the pee and that helps it determine whether the female is ovulating.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeeR5GTT View Post
    To know when to mate, a male giraffe will continuously headbutt the female in the bladder until she urinates. The male then tastes the pee and that helps it determine whether the female is ovulating.
    That's what northerners do too aint it Lee?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

The 1912 Olympics were the last time gold medals were made of solid gold. Now they're made of silver, plated with gold.

Committee Member
    Social Media
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
    That's what northerners do too aint it Lee?
    That's it mate!! we are like wild animals!

Another interesting fact, is every time I mention to our lass about her gettin a job, she wants another baby....

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by casper View Post
    The only 15 letter word that can be spelled without repeating a letter is "uncopyrightable"
    The longest word in the english language with no vowels is Rhythm.

Nothing rhymes with "Orange" or "Silver"

This is the reason I started this thread. Gold!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats interesting.
    Then I shall extend my internet plagiarism, just for you.

Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 11.2 gallons of nitro methane per second; a fully loaded 747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate with 25% less energy being produced.

A stock Dodge Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to merely drive the dragster's supercharger (IIRC, they run about 6psi of boost. Yes, SIX.)

With 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle.

The Nitro flame front temperature measures 7050 degrees F.

Nitro methane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.

Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.

Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After 1/2 way, the engine is dieseling from compression plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow.

If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient force to blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half.

Dragsters reach over 300 MPH before you have completed reading this sentence.

In order to exceed 300 MPH in 4.5 seconds, dragsters must accelerate an average of over 4 G's. In order to reach 200 MPH well before half-track, the launch acceleration approaches 8G's.

Top Fuel engines turn approximately 540 revolutions from light to light. Inc the burnout the engine does 900 revolutions under load. It then needs a full rebuild. That, Mr Bond, sounds like your five

Assuming all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, & for once, NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs an estimated $1,000 per second.

0 to 100 MPH in .8 seconds (the first 60 feet of the run)
    0 to 200 MPH in 2.2 seconds (the first 350 feet of the run)
    6 g-forces at the starting line (nothing accelerates faster on land)
    6 negative g-forces upon deployment of twin ‘chutes at 300 MPH
    An NHRA Top Fuel Dragster accelerates quicker than any other land vehicle on earth quicker than a jet fighter plane . . . quicker than the space shuttle.

The current Top Fuel dragster elapsed time record is 4.420 seconds for the quarter-mile (2004, Doug Kalitta). The top speed record is 337.58 MPH as measured over the last 66'
    of the run (2005, Tony Schumacher).

Also, if you pour a pool of Nitro on the floor and bung a lit match at it, the match will go out. If you hit it with a hammer, though, it'll blow your arm off.

Post Thanks / Like

Then I shall extend my internet plagiarism, just for you.

Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 11.2 gallons of nitro methane per second; a fully loaded 747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate with 25% less energy being produced.

A stock Dodge Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to merely drive the dragster's supercharger (IIRC, they run about 6psi of boost. Yes, SIX.)

With 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle.

The Nitro flame front temperature measures 7050 degrees F.

Nitro methane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.

Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.

Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After 1/2 way, the engine is dieseling from compression plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow.

If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient force to blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half.

Dragsters reach over 300 MPH before you have completed reading this sentence.

In order to exceed 300 MPH in 4.5 seconds, dragsters must accelerate an average of over 4 G's. In order to reach 200 MPH well before half-track, the launch acceleration approaches 8G's.

Top Fuel engines turn approximately 540 revolutions from light to light. Inc the burnout the engine does 900 revolutions under load. It then needs a full rebuild. That, Mr Bond, sounds like your five

Assuming all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, & for once, NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs an estimated $1,000 per second.

0 to 100 MPH in .8 seconds (the first 60 feet of the run)
    0 to 200 MPH in 2.2 seconds (the first 350 feet of the run)
    6 g-forces at the starting line (nothing accelerates faster on land)
    6 negative g-forces upon deployment of twin ‘chutes at 300 MPH
    An NHRA Top Fuel Dragster accelerates quicker than any other land vehicle on earth quicker than a jet fighter plane . . . quicker than the space shuttle.

The current Top Fuel dragster elapsed time record is 4.420 seconds for the quarter-mile (2004, Doug Kalitta). The top speed record is 337.58 MPH as measured over the last 66'
    of the run (2005, Tony Schumacher).

Also, if you pour a pool of Nitro on the floor and bung a lit match at it, the match will go out. If you hit it with a hammer, though, it'll blow your arm off.
    Dave?

You're British right?

Post Thanks / Like

This is an interesting fact...,.When you work it out
    In the uk professional football leagues theres only one team that has this letter in its name.Whats the letter?and whats the team?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

In the uk professional football leagues theres only one team that has this letter in its name.Whats the letter?and whats the team?
    J st Johnstone. Tell me I'm right

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

X for Wrexham? But, could be Exeter city. Both are non league though.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

That's it mate!! we are like wild animals!

Another interesting fact, is every time I mention to our lass about her gettin a job, she wants another baby....
    Hahahahaaaaaaaa!!!! Just made me actually laugh out loud!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nad-5GTT View Post
    J st Johnstone. Tell me I'm right
    You are rightIm not playing anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Dave?

You're British right?
    No - he is from Coventry.

Post Thanks / Like

best place for him

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

You are rightIm not playing anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

we drive on the left in this country. this is due to when we used to ride horses, Jousters used to hold their lance in their right arm and approach each other on the left side.....

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

No - he is from Coventry.
    Tosser

Quote Originally Posted by clee View Post
    best place for him
    Tosser

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing rhymes with "Orange" or "Silver"
    What about a silver salver?

Also I like to arrange an orange.

Rhyming is subjective but I'd say both are more than half rhymes and could easily be worked into a poem. Let's keep this thread factual please
    Last edited by Trevhib; 03-10-2013 at 10:38.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's keep this thread factual please
    OK, I will.

Using a July 2012 estimate of current rate of tweets per day suggests there have been a total of about 345 billion tweets as of October 2013. That means that if you followed every Twitter user, and assuming on a computer's monitor the average tweet is about 2.4 centimetres in depth, your total timeline would be eight million kilometers high if you wanted to display it all at once

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

In 1981 the US Navy named its elite counterterrorism unit "Seal Team Six" to confuse Soviet spies into thinking there must be at least five other teams out there

Post Thanks / Like

What about a silver salver?

Also I like to arrange an orange.

Rhyming is subjective but I'd say both are more than half rhymes and could easily be worked into a poem. Let's keep this thread factual please
    Stretching a bit there Trev but hey ...

Post Thanks / Like

If you wanted to put a silver surfer up Clee, you could have just posted a pic of Mart.