Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Renault 5 Gt Turbo Seat Bolster Left Side Gtt Front

Quote Originally Posted by christophersykes1 View Post
    Hi Mike no I dont have the original renault bolster anymore. A few pictures would be helpful to clarify. The product im selling is not pretending to be an exact replica of the original renault bolster.
    So basically your saying like most replica/pattern parts some adjustments maybe required to make a perfect fit....

End of the day people you buy cheaper parts expect it don't be be perfect, if you want that pay silly money at Renault (if there available)
    Last edited by Penfold aka The Dealer; 21-10-2013 at 11:14.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry but cheaper doesn't necessarily have to result in not as good, or not fit for purpose. Whatever happens, adverts need to inform the customer of what the reality is. The requirement for adjustments was not in the advert. What was in the advert:

"direct replacement for the original foams" and "very easy to fit".

If these things are not true then buyers have a reason to question. You can't advertise things that aren't accurate and then afterwards tell buyers to suck it up because the item was cheaper than the original.

It would appear that Chris is sorting out this situation that has been caused by a bad batch (and we may even see improvements to the product as a result), so maybe best not to muddy waters by suggesting those people who have a legitimate complaint don't have the grounds. Lest this turn into more RTOC gold.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    Sorry but cheaper doesn't necessarily have to result in not as good, or not fit for purpose. Whatever happens, adverts need to inform the customer of what the reality is. The requirement for adjustments was not in the advert. What was in the advert:

If these things are not true then buyers have a reason to question. You can't advertise things that aren't accurate and then afterwards tell buyers to suck it up because the item was cheaper than the original.

It would appear that Chris is sorting out this situation that has been caused by a bad batch (and we may even see improvements to the product as a result), so maybe best not to muddy waters by suggesting those people who have a legitimate complaint don't have the grounds. Lest this turn into more RTOC gold.
    Trev don't get me wrong it I hope these have been sorted.

I have been contacted since my previous comment by 2 members about how poor the 1st batch where....

Who knows they may have seen sorted for the 2nd batch, for me tho it's a case of buyer beware!!

Post Thanks / Like

So you're saying there are people lining up who have been dissatisfied with this product and you've told them all they should have been more careful when buying, even though what turned up was not in line with the advert, and having gone ahead and bought, should now suck it up because they were cheaper than the originals? I shan't be buying anything from you any time soon

Post Thanks / Like

So you're saying there are people lining up who have been dissatisfied with this product and you've told them all they should have been more careful in buying, even though the advert may have been misleading, and then having gone ahead and bought, should now suck it up because they were cheaper than the originals? I shan't be buying anything from you any time soon
    Not at all trev, I am mearly pointing out that the issues with the original bolsters have been pointed out many many times on the forum....

I wouldn't want any group buys for these new ones until a trusted member has got them, fitted them and approaved them

All those who had brought previous ones should have complained/raised the issue with the seller when they realised there were issues.

Not months/years down the line... The seller may have been unaware there was such a problem with them....

Post Thanks / Like

I agree totally regarding a potential club-backed group buy. If the sizing is corrected the product should be tested first.

I had one of these years ago too. It looked exactly like the ones being sold today but I have no idea if it is indeed the same product or whether it's from the same seller. And so my iffy experience has to be discounted.

What I do know is that the construction of the original bolsters is totally different. It includes internal webbing and they are moulded in one-piece fashion. That's not to say these alternatives aren't useful at the advertised price. I think they are. As long as they at least fit well and are advertised properly.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Penfold aka The Dealer View Post
    So basically your saying like most replica/pattern parts some adjustments maybe required to make a perfect fit....

End of the day people you buy cheaper parts expect it don't be be perfect, if you want that pay silly money at Renault (if there available)
    Ill respond to each post individually.

There may be a small amount of adjustment and to clarify they are a foam reproduction of a die injected renault version which is a made of a entirely different material and through a different process. This is an alternative at a cheaper price which attains similar if not same end result.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    Im going to respond to each post as to best polish out issues raised with the aim to resolve and then react towards making the product the best it possibly can be for the end user. As I am responding point by point it may sound as though it is a defence post but I am grateful of criticism and praise and improvement ideas but I must be clear with my view point on the points raised.

Let's clarify one thing I am not claiming to be producing Official Renault parts and do not have by any means the production facilities Renault has but my product aims to provide a cheaper alternative than buying an overpriced replacement part direct from renault.

With all good will in the world you cannot satisfy everyone and an internet page is much like a text message it is written by one and read and interpreted by others. I am not trying to mislead buyers of my product I advertise the product as it is supposed to be used and what result it will obtain.

I find that saying the product is "not fit for purpose" is an unjust comment and admittedly there was a bad batch produced but people responded when they received these items and a refund was issued if they so desired.

Based on the product being a correct cut the item were a direct replacement for the original and were then and still are easy to fit.

I feel the advertisement is accurate and does describe to the buyer what they will be receiving one thing omitted that will change as of the next advertisement is the fact that "some slight modification maybe needed to obtain a perfect for for your vehicle". I have always been fair with people who have bought bolsters and have replaced and refunded them as and when required and haven't told people to "suck it up" which again I feel is an unjust comment.

Thanks for your input
    Chris

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Trev don't get me wrong it I hope these have been sorted.

I have been contacted since my previous comment by 2 members about how poor the 1st batch where....

Who knows they may have seen sorted for the 2nd batch, for me tho it's a case of buyer beware!!
    Hi,

These bolsters have been received by many Renault owners in the vast majority they have been happy and have been repeat customers or recommended them to fellow renault 5 owners.

A company such as Renault them selves in time will have had a recall of their motor vehicles which your life depends on in an emergency and which shows from time to time there are faults in the manufacturing stage of any production. It so happens I presumed we everything was fine with these items and continued to distribute the bad batch as so we have unhappy customers which I refunded and offered replacements to at the time.

The last batch has been modified to ensure a better fit but it is a matter of perception as to the end users view on perfect fit and how much the fabric has stretched to ensure the foam fillers the bolster lining.

Thanks Chris

Thanks Chris

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Not at all trev, I am mearly pointing out that the issues with the original bolsters have been pointed out many many times on the forum....

I wouldn't want any group buys for these new ones until a trusted member has got them, fitted them and approaved them

All those who had brought previous ones should have complained/raised the issue with the seller when they realised there were issues.

Not months/years down the line... The seller may have been unaware there was such a problem with them....
    Hi

I always have been fair with people buying bolsters and have offered replacements and refunds as requested. However as stated I am not opening the flood gates for refunds and returns on every bolster sale I have made. If an issue is raised within 14 days of purchase as stated on my ebay returns policy then the item will be refunded or replaced.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree totally regarding a potential club-backed group buy. If the sizing is corrected the product should be tested first.

I had one of these years ago too. It looked exactly like the ones being sold today but I have no idea if it is indeed the same product or whether it's from the same seller. And so my iffy experience has to be discounted.

What I do know is that the construction of the original bolsters is totally different. It includes internal webbing and they are moulded in one-piece fashion. That's not to say these alternatives aren't useful at the advertised price. I think they are. As long as they at least fit well and are advertised properly.
    Hi,

I am completely negotiable on this and welcome a group buy.

I am not claiming to construct the product in the way in which Renault does. I feel bolsters i sell obtain the end result as the same as the renault product.

This has been an insightful look from the users point of view and as said early I welcome our thoughts in the aim to constantly improve the bolsters for the end user.

I hope I have sounded defensive but to go straight to the point and respond on the comments you have made without waffling I had to respond with my point of view to be as direct as possible.

I am not claiming my product to be perfect but I feel it is a very good reproduction of the bolsters and fills the needs of the end user just the same as the renault product.

Pffffftt my eyes and fingers are sore after that

Thanks again for your input
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Well done Chris.

I think you misunderstood some of the things that I was saying, who I was saying it to and in relation to what specifically but that's ok.

I think it's great to have a viable and affordable alternative to the OE bolsters available, so good on you. I do hope you continue to deal with feedback in the same way and indeed improve the product.

Lastly, I hope that you are sorting Mike out.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

So in short Chris.. Send out a free pair of bolsters to say Mike Or any member willing to give it ago, let him/her fit and come back on here with feedback

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Reed View Post
    So in short Chris.. Send out a free pair of bolsters to say Mike Or any member willing to give it ago, let him/her fit and come back on here with feedback
    As above. If the response is positive, I will definitely buy some.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done Chris.

I think you misunderstood some of the things that I was saying, who I was saying it to and in relation to what specifically but that's ok.

I think it's great to have a viable and affordable alternative to the OE bolsters available, so good on you. I do hope you continue to deal with feedback in the same way and indeed improve the product.

Lastly, I hope that you are sorting Mike out.
    Ye didn't mean to sound shirty like it said it may come across a bit like that because i was trying to address peoples points one by one.

No worries things are being sorted out as we speak

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

The wheels are in motion

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LiamR View Post
    As above. If the response is positive, I will definitely buy some.
    Wheels are in motion

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phase i 16 v turbo View Post
    Interesting!
    Hi Mike i think your message bank is full.

Trader
    GT Turbo Spares co.uk
    South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mike i think your message bank is full.
    Made free space a while ago.

Trader
    GT Turbo Spares co.uk
    South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mike no I dont have the original renault bolster anymore. A few pictures would be helpful to clarify. The product im selling is not pretending to be an exact replica of the original renault bolster.
    Here is a picture to show that they need alot of trimming. If you can make the replacement one smaller please and get them sent out that would be great

Thanks Mike

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is a picture to show that they need alot of trimming. If you can make the replacement one smaller please and get them sent out that would be great

Thanks Mike

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
    Yeah mike that's my pic, I was going to post here when I was on pc, there way to big, I cut mine down and to be honest made a right arse, I guess they do the job, but there cheap for a reason,

Trader
    GT Turbo Spares co.uk
    South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

My pictures didn't come out very well as I didn't want to open a new packet to much reflection. Yours show all the areas that need trimming. Nice 1

Trader
    GT Turbo Spares co.uk
    South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Any news on these as I am keen to get mine sent back and have the smaller replacements.

Thanks Mike

Trader
    GT Turbo Spares co.uk
    South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Any news on these as I am keen to get mine sent back and have the smaller replacements.

Thanks Mike
    Still waiting

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sent my 4 bolsters back over 2 weeks ago as they were too big, waiting to hear...

Post Thanks / Like

I feared this would happen

Post Thanks / Like

Shame, I really need 4 of these but I definitely would need them to fit as I'd just mess up any trimming

Post Thanks / Like

What a feckin' joke.

"No worries things are being sorted out as we speak." You mean your one way trip to Acapulco?

Committee Member
    Events
    Post Thanks / Like

anyone tried contacting him through his ebay advert if he still has one running?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slammed 66 View Post
    anyone tried contacting him through his ebay advert if he still has one running?
    I did this when I originally bought one from him on eBay over 6 months ago, I told him they didn't fit and would need a refund, I am normally a very calm person but this person did test my patience some what and I also refrained myself when given him his feedback.

Trader
    GT Turbo Spares co.uk
    South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Any news on these returns?

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hasn't logged in for nearly 1 month now.

Post Thanks / Like

Really need to know whats happening, not received my replacement bolsters for the first lot I was sent or my money

Trader
    GT Turbo Spares co.uk
    South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

He's not replying on ebay either. Not good

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I am sure when these first come out even on the last forum, everyone was saying these was a bad fit and you had to really stretch the material to even the point of nearly tearing it. I don't know if the design has changed and doubt it ever will, as I think this has been discussed many of times before, that's why I got mine made up myself rather than buying these. I could be wrong though.

Trader
    GT Turbo Spares co.uk
    South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

I have it in writing confirming that these were the new batch and a correct fit but not true

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Xmas at Chris's this year, I hear he's got the biggest turkey in england

Post Thanks / Like

Xmas at Chris's this year, I hear he's got the biggest turkey in england
    Lol

so...what are we going to do, has anyone else not received their money back or bolsters that are either incorrect or correct?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Raider View Post
    Lol

so...what are we going to do, has anyone else not received their money back or bolsters that are either incorrect or correct?
    ebay refund?
    small claims court?

put up a post saying not to buy from him?

Post Thanks / Like

Well he has my money, is it just me that he owes? I sent bolsters back as huge, I have a number so going to make a call to try and get this resolved

Post Thanks / Like

Ive got my money back, he did e-mail me however took me a couple of weeks to reply with tracking number for returned bolsters as I dont use that e-mail account regularly

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

First post!

Ive got my money back, he did e-mail me however took me a couple of weeks to reply with tracking number for returned bolsters as I dont use that e-mail account regularly
    i bought a full set few months ago, took a few weeks to come. I had a good bolster out of my chair as a template. chopped around 15-20 mm off alway around front edge. swine to get in, 15 mins preside to fit. they feel good solid and didn't disintragrate, thort £50 for 4 posted was good.... just need a good electic carvin knife!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

First post!

I've just found this thread about these bolsters and this is my first post.
    I needed all 4 bolsters over the summer and was advised by a good member from the West Midlands that they were cheaper than others from somewhere else you may know but were really not nearly so good.
    Of course I bought the cheaper ones from this guy who was oh so oh so interested in my quick payment, albeit for a quick delivery.
    I did not fit them until November assuming the fairly extensive 'Fit for Purpose' description was true ie 'direct easy swap for R5GTT'.
    Well they may have been made for a Trabant but I normally expect this if I'm involved.
    They needed carving not 2 but 3 dimensionally to achieve a almost perfect fit. Fortunately I had the somewhat squashed originals to help but each one took about 2 hours of time, real mess of foam bits, trying to fit the cover then trying to fit to the seat metal. What a complete FU. The cutting is difficult and imprecise and easy to ruin a bolster.
    Plus I could make the same from foam and glue off the local market. They won't last long either. You also have to cut them internally to get them to fit the metal of the seat, and at the correct angle. Real 3D adjustment needed.
    Either buy the more expensive, apparently stronger alternative or better still get a good original, impression it and make an exact stronger material replacement but do not buy these please.
    Talking of making your own exact copies; Does anyone have a GTT2 front grill to sell or for me to borrow to try this out for the benefit of all?
    Ian

Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

I've just found this thread about these bolsters and this is my first post.
    I needed all 4 bolsters over the summer and was advised by a good member from the West Midlands that they were cheaper than others from somewhere else you may know but were really not nearly so good.
    Of course I bought the cheaper ones from this guy who was oh so oh so interested in my quick payment, albeit for a quick delivery.
    I did not fit them until November assuming the fairly extensive 'Fit for Purpose' description was true ie 'direct easy swap for R5GTT'.
    Well they may have been made for a Trabant but I normally expect this if I'm involved.
    They needed carving not 2 but 3 dimensionally to achieve a almost perfect fit. Fortunately I had the somewhat squashed originals to help but each one took about 2 hours of time, real mess of foam bits, trying to fit the cover then trying to fit to the seat metal. What a complete FU. The cutting is difficult and imprecise and easy to ruin a bolster.
    Plus I could make the same from foam and glue off the local market. They won't last long either. You also have to cut them internally to get them to fit the metal of the seat, and at the correct angle. Real 3D adjustment needed.
    Either buy the more expensive, apparently stronger alternative or better still get a good original, impression it and make an exact stronger material replacement but do not buy these please.
    Talking of making your own exact copies; Does anyone have a GTT2 front grill to sell or for me to borrow to try this out for the benefit of all?
    Ian

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Va Va Voom View Post

Does anyone have a GTT2 front grill to sell or for me to borrow to try this out for the benefit of all?
    Ian
    Hello there chap.

Welcome to the club. Sorry to hear your bad experience. I bought some & had no issues. Regards the grille I'm trying to source one to get copied too- no luck yet though

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Tomcat
    glad yours fitted
    mine look great (ish) now after all that work but that's life !
    surely someone has one to borrow even?
    How were you thinking of doing it?
    Ian

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Va Va Voom View Post

Hi Tomcat
    glad yours fitted
    mine look great (ish) now after all that work but that's life !
    surely someone has one to borrow even?
    How were you thinking of doing it?
    Ian
    Well I have a contact on the continent who develops body panels for cars, lorries etc. I've spoken to him and he thinks he can replicate these easily. Plus being that they would be manufactured outside the UK puts build pricing down considerably. I have used panels he has made previously and there is certainly no issues with their quality of workmanship. It would more than likely be either resin or fibreglass copies. As soon as I have a semi decent grille I can get them developed (funded through my company).

How were you thinking about doing it mate?

Post Thanks / Like

I was told that I was sent the wrong ones as the guy was working away, mine were pink in colour, huge and never going to fit, wrong shape too so I sent them back. Decided to get a refund rather than try another set, seemed good for the money. I have seen the CGB ones for about £28 delivered so tempted to try these

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
    Well I have a contact on the continent who develops body panels for cars, lorries etc. I've spoken to him and he thinks he can replicate these easily. Plus being that they would be manufactured outside the UK puts build pricing down considerably. I have used panels he has made previously and there is certainly no issues with their quality of workmanship. It would more than likely be either resin or fibreglass copies. As soon as I have a semi decent grille I can get them developed (funded through my company).

How were you thinking about doing it mate?
    I was just going to ring round and source some local company who might be able to make a one or two off. It might be they make other stuff and nothing to do with cars but could do it at the right price. There are a lot of small firms around to try or ask some people I know. Failing that I could probably make one myself quite easily with some time and thought but need an original to take accurate molds from.
    Failing that use one of those 3D copiers you can make a plastic firing gun from !!! Albeit in about 10 individual sections. But your idea could be a money spinner !

Post Thanks / Like

I was told that I was sent the wrong ones as the guy was working away, mine were pink in colour, huge and never going to fit, wrong shape too so I sent them back. Decided to get a refund rather than try another set, seemed good for the money. I have seen the CGB ones for about £28 delivered so tempted to try these
    Hi Mr Raider!
    Yes mine were the same pink colour but I couldn't be bothered to send them back and I had them sitting around for a couple of months so thought it a bit late for a refund. It was a real job.
    The CGB one's were recommended as I said and apparently much tougher. Let us know but again as above post with a bit of ingenuity and injection moulding I'm sure you could make your own if you have a non shrunk/worn/battered/broken original !