Post Thanks / Like

Joining wires correctly

One of my pet hates is crap wiring which other people think is ok, like crimping 2 wires together, or even worse stripping wires and twisting them around then taping up (which I've seen too many alarms done like this by "reputable" people)

So I'm going to show you how it should be done.

what you need

Auto wire stripper
    Soldering iron
    Solder
    Heat shrink tubing
    Lighter

The first joint is a butt joint.

Join 2 wire ends together say when you extend a cable or are repairing a broken wire
    it helps if you fan the strands out lay them on top of each other and then twist them together making sure there are no loose strands

First off strip about 1.5 cm from both ends, now slide on your heat shrink (I've forgotten this so many times and only copped it when the soldering is complete.
    It helps if you fan the strands out lay them on top of each other and then twist them together making sure there are no loose strands.

Now the fun bit fire up your soldering iron and let it get up to temp, (I find it easier to let the wires rest on the soldering iron and hold the iron in one hand and the solder in the other )

When the iron is up to temp heat up the bare wires once they're hot enough apply the solder and let it flow through the wires.

Now to heat wrap it! now i messed up and didn't move the tubing far enough away while i was soldering Not to worry plenty more of where that came from

So I put another bit on and wave the flame of the lighter around it you don't need to touch it with the flame

One safe join that is stronger than the cable it self!!!

Now to "tap" a wire that you cant/don't want to cut

Grab you wire stripper and strip about 1 cm in the middle of the wire your tapping and put a hole in the middle of the strands and 3-4 cm from the wire your putting on

Now feed the wire through the hole you made and tightly wrap it around your "source" wire

Now solder that up and wrap it if you can get the heatwrap onto it or make sure no loose strands are poking out and go over it with electrical tape

Last edited by robx1r; 30-09-2013 at 16:57.

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Joining wires correctly

That's brilliant, I really like that. Thanks for taking the time to do it

Ian, can you add this as an article?

Post Thanks / Like

Nice guide. I always join wires badly.

Post Thanks / Like

he tried to but my links didnt work right, i did this nearly 10 years ago look at my sexy ghost like knee in one of the pictures, i was wearing shorts

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that great guide

Post Thanks / Like