Post Thanks / Like

Radiator Air Lock

I've been blowing into my expansion tank for about 10 minutes and the top hose from the radiator is still hissing air.
    Really wish i had a valve built into an expansion cap top about now.

The top hose gets hot, but the radiator isn't hot, just on the left hand side a little.

Should it really take this long to get rid of, or is there something else amiss. I don't want to spend another 10minutes giving it face only to find out my efforts are futile.

Anyone?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Radiator Air Lock

Personally I just disconnect the header tank and tie it up high to the corner of the bonnet. No blowing needed and normally within a few seconds no more air. If the rads not getting hot I would also check the operation of the thermostat.

Post Thanks / Like

top hose at the rad end does get hot.
    the thermostat is fine

i'm worried it's either the water pump not pumping water round the engine, or a blockage in the radiator.

i can test the rad by disconnecting the bottom hose and running water through the top hose... but how do i know if my water pump is borked?

i just don't know why the top hose would continually just let out air and never any water.
    also, when the engines cooling it sounds like i can hear air escaping from the radiator area.

EDIT:
    Right , so disconnected the bottom rad hose and a bit of water fell out. I put my finger into the radiator outlet and the water was stone cold.
    I then gave the top hose a squeeze and that pushed water out of the radiator outlet.

What's the best way to test my water pump is ok?
    Also, where's the article gone about changing the water pump?

Post Thanks / Like

I've taken the pump off as there's crystalised **** everywhere.
    If the problem isn't actually the pump then at least thats one possibility taken care of.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guybrush View Post
    I've been blowing into my expansion tank for about 10 minutes and the top hose from the radiator is still hissing air.Anyone?
    *sigh*

did you remember to clamp the small hose that connects to the top of the expansion tank?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    *sigh*

did you remember to clamp the small hose that connects to the top of the expansion tank?
    The water pump was broken. The air in the pipe was getting hot but there water pump was not flowing any water down the top hose. Hence nothing but air coming out. I think my radiator has a leak which is where the air is getting in, but I'll only find that out in due course once the new water pump has been fitted.

I'm still curious about the best was of testing that the water pump is pumping water round..?

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

With the engine running you should see a steady flow of water returning to the header tank from the small top pipe.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    *sigh*

For my own curiosity, does that pipe feed back in to the system allowing air to pass around through it to the bleed then? Similar system on a 21 but that top pipe goes in to a stat housing and you don't need to clamp it off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveL485 View Post

For my own curiosity, does that pipe feed back in to the system allowing air to pass around through it to the bleed then? Similar system on a 21 but that top pipe goes in to a stat housing and you don't need to clamp it off.
    Yes.

I have removed it on mine ( blanked ) and car runs a shed load cooler ..