Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello!

First post!

Hi gents (& ladies….maybe)

Looks like I am now the proud owner of a white Renault 11 turbo, registration E*** KDU after a successful eBay bid....not sure if I should post registration numbers?

I haven’t actually seen the car yet although it is not too far from me…….has anyone come across this car before, and/or would anyone be kind enough to point me in the direction of a buyers guide so that I know the kind of jobs that I should be considering first.

I have some experience with Renault 5’s mark 2’s…..and also Volvo 480 turbos with the 1.7 Renault engine. Other than that I am an absolute new starter to Renault 11 turbos....

Cheers

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hello!

And old 11....do like the 9/11....hope its nice and solid mate

Get some pictures up.

Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveL485 View Post
    And old 11....do like the 9/11....hope its nice and solid mate

Get some pictures up.
    Thanks fella, here she is - pics from the advert

Would very much like to think she is solid but not in my possession yet..................

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the club, cool car.

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the club mate, saw this on ebay, possibly saw it for sale a good few months ago now although the guy who wrote the advert sounded pretty strange! lol Get some pictures up, looks a good car, got a phase 1 11 turbo myself

Post Thanks / Like

Great cars always wanted one ,maybe one day look forward to seeing more pics

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers lads thanks for comments....more pics to follow and a write up of what needs doing with the car. Nothing I hope haha [that’s a joke, right there]

I used to own a Renault 5 with the C3J engine (non-turbo, fuel injection) and put over 100k miles on it in 4 years. In fact there's one in the garden with the rear torsion bar not set at a silly height, so if my new raft is a bit poorly around the back end I assume there would be a fair amount of similar bits between the 5 and the 11.

Plus I have a couple of Volvo 480's with the B18FT also on SORN so plenty of parts laid about to be had. One of the 480’s is in just about roadworthy condition but the other has been partially stripped for bits.

I guess I should be looking for rusty bits first, after naming the old girl first of course. Will report back. One of my work colleagues has already mooted “the raft o’sh!te”…..not a Renault fan I s’pose

The seller seems OK to me, Mr Raider, so far anyway…... Minimal information though so ownership could turn into a bit of nightmare of course, as these things do

Post Thanks / Like

Looks a nice car in the pics mate! I've got a bit of a soft spot for 11's. Is that Mr Raider in Swanley, Kent per chance?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fat roofer View Post
    Looks a nice car in the pics mate! I've got a bit of a soft spot for 11's. Is that Mr Raider in Swanley, Kent per chance?
    Cheers fella

Oh dear I've been here for 2 minutes and already I have confused things....in my post above I didn't mean the seller was Mr Raider - I was trying to respond to a comment by Mr Raider about the seller, who is a guy from Gatesheed

I'll get me coat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jamesy12345 View Post

Cheers fella

Oh dear I've been here for 2 minutes and already I have confused things....in my post above I didn't mean the seller was Mr Raider - I was trying to respond to a comment by Mr Raider about the seller, who is a guy from Gatesheed

I'll get me coat
    No worries, im in Norwich lol

It wasnt this one by any chance was it?

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=33713

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Raider View Post
    No worries, im in Norwich lol

It wasnt this one by any chance was it?

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=33713
    Cheers

Maybe it was that one, the advert has been pulled from that link

Here is the original advert I got it from

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1988-RENAU...#ht_144wt_1201

It does mention a de-cat exhaust so could be the same.

I thought it was just that common marketing ploy to convince would-be buyers that the product on sale has something special that others don't

NEW! BREAD WITH YEAST!!

and

FORKS! NOW AVAILABLE WITH....SPOONS!!

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers

Maybe it was that one, the advert has been pulled from that link

Here is the original advert I got it from

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1988-RENAU...#ht_144wt_1201

It does mention a de-cat exhaust so could be the same.

I thought it was just that common marketing ploy to convince would-be buyers that the product on sale has something special that others don't

NEW! BREAD WITH YEAST!!

and

FORKS! NOW AVAILABLE WITH....SPOONS!!

Ah saw that on the facebook site last week, remember that comment lol

Post Thanks / Like

Ah saw that on the facebook site last week, remember that comment lol

I always thought facebook was for women talking rubbish and guys trying to pull them, but my opinion is starting to change now that younger generations of car fiddlers are coming through

I’m still an old fart though not on facebook, but will get our lass to have a look, she’s on a Volvo one also for me

It must look odd when someone like my good lady with pictures of cats and vegetarian gibberish on their ‘wall’ (?), makes comments like “yes mate the 440 front arches can be used to repair the rears on your 480……” or similar

Post Thanks / Like

Oh dear, it always happens doesn't it......wait for your dream car to come along and another appears just after it

I haven't even collected this 11 yet and another car has came along that I am powerless to resist - a rather nice Renault 5 of 1984 vintage, which I am very much hoping will soon be in my possession.

Assuming the deal goes well and I don't get struck by lighting or something, the 11 will probably be going back up on eBay to be replaced by the 5. Thinking about it, if I do get struck by lighting probably my wordly assets, a Renault 11 and push bike, will go on eBay regardless......anyway, where was I.......just a heads up.

The 5 should be appearing on a forum page near you 17 bloody years waiting to get my grubby little hands on one lol

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

A most sincere welcome brother James.
    I see you're from ol Durham town or there about, there's a few of us around here and we meet up every time the moon reaches its fifth quarter! There's a few of us around anywa...
    I have recently purchased a b18ft five of which I know little about engine wise and I saw you're post on the Volvo forum about ECU's? So maybe pick you're brain when my garage is finished being built and I get to work on it!?

Post Thanks / Like

A white 11t for sale you say. Hmmm...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks V man! Yes no worries if I can help with anything will do so! A B18FT engine in a 5, good stuff!! I've got loads of spares so just ask if you are looking for something. I sourced some uprated ECUs from one of the chaps on the 480 forum, the rumour is that you can get up to 250 Nm pretty easily

I would love to join a local meet if there is a regular one. Phases of the moon no probs for me. And if there isn't one, we could make one!

Yes Mart probably will go back up for sale. My eyes are too big for my....er..wallet/garage space/common sense.

Will get it back to the chateau then I'll get some more photos and details posted up. Meanwhile will continue the quest to get hold of the 5.....mwahahahaha. ha.

Last edited by jamesy12345; 05-10-2013 at 10:21. Reason: 'the' quest.....hangover affecting ability to type

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool fella - welcome along.

Post Thanks / Like

BTW - Why not pop along to the next local meet @ Snetterton.

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=34924

Just round the corner from you

I all seriousness we do have members coming from all places, Dorest being the furthest (good work Jesus) and possibly an international FB member. So put it in your diary and if you fancy meeting up with some, not so local members then you are more than welcome along.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks fella, the 11 does look nice....I picked up an old brochure with mine on the front....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1711167251...#ht_280wt_1399

Post Thanks / Like

Great find.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TNT ANDY View Post
    BTW - Why not pop along to the next local meet @ Snetterton.

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=34924

Just round the corner from you

I all seriousness we do have members coming from all places, Dorest being the furthest (good work Jesus) and possibly an international FB member. So put it in your diary and if you fancy meeting up with some, not so local members then you are more than welcome along.
    haha yeah would love to, but maybe not until I am sure the car would make it down there))) plus I work overseas quite a bit - not around for the 1st

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Hello!

Welcome matey. Where abouts in durham you squat? I spotted a five under a cover in trimdon village so was waiting for it to pop up on here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Cole View Post
    Welcome matey. Where abouts in durham you squat? I spotted a five under a cover in trimdon village so was waiting for it to pop up on here.
    Thanks! That's not me mate, I'm in Hart Village near 'Artlepool and but the garage is in Wheatley Hill at my sis' house AKA Beverley Hills

edit: an F4R.....in a 5...?? A turbo one???

edit edit: ah yes, just reading your profile page....excuse me a moment

Last edited by jamesy12345; 05-10-2013 at 11:16.

Post Thanks / Like

Ha. Not far from me then boss.

Yeah there's a few of us in durham that have f4rt lumps. The white one in my profile is now in bits and the engine in a black ph1 which im currently trying to finish with the ndo gearbox. Might finish it one day!

Post Thanks / Like

Ha. Not far from me then boss.

Yeah there's a few of us in durham that have f4rt lumps. The white one in my profile is now in bits and the engine in a black ph1 which im currently trying to finish with the ndo gearbox. Might finish it one day!
    Cool. I feel a meeting coming on....

I have a Volvo T5 and take it down to York Raceway every so often, to see if the latest fiddling with it has made it faster or slower. Just under 15.3 secs is my best time so far (a bit rubbish looking at the RTOC quarter mile board) but it's getting there even though carting about 1400 kgs. Some head work, a less restrictive exhaust manifold, cams from a naturally aspirated motor and a bigger intercooler are next on the never ending list, plus hopefully a gearbox with a different final drive - it'll do 150 mph at 5200 rpm in 4th. Daft long gearing.

Did you get any quarter mile runs in with yours before pulling it to bits? I see an F4Rt on the leader board right up at the top

Post Thanks / Like

No mate although it was very quick! I have the white five in bits to weld up and re assemble. Probably going to sell on once done the black five im hoping for big power!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool. I feel a meeting coming on....
    Guys let me know when you are meeting up. I'm in Ingleby Barwick just outside Middlesbrough would be good to meet up with some members.

I work abroad too so its a nightmare trying to get to meets etc....

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

No mate although it was very quick! I have the white five in bits to weld up and re assemble. Probably going to sell on once done the black five im hoping for big power!
    I bet it was quick Matt, I saw Scoff's video . My T5 is up to 310 ft lbs but about twice the weight lol

Quote Originally Posted by Higgy82 View Post
    Guys let me know when you are meeting up. I'm in Ingleby Barwick just outside Middlesbrough would be good to meet up with some members.

I work abroad too so its a nightmare trying to get to meets etc....

Cheers
    Hey there's quite a few members in these here parts

Certainly will Higgy but I need to get mobile in something Renault based. You don't want me turning up in a Volvo.....altough maybe the one with the B18FT lump will do.

I checked the events section of the forum but can't see anything in this neck of the woods. I'd be up for a curry night (luv curry!) or maybe a trek down to York Raceway...

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey there's quite a few members in these here parts

Certainly will Higgy but I need to get mobile in something Renault based. You don't want me turning up in a Volvo.....altough maybe the one with the B18FT lump will do.

I checked the events section of the forum but can't see anything in this neck of the woods. I'd be up for a curry night (luv curry!) or maybe a trek down to York Raceway...
    Sounds good mate, just keep me posted. My Raiders SORN at the min as I was going to strip it down over winter and hopefully have it re-built for the summer but tempted to re tax it . A curry sounds good mate just PM me and ill let you know if im home!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Higgy82 View Post
    Sounds good mate, just keep me posted. My Raiders SORN at the min as I was going to strip it down over winter and hopefully have it re-built for the summer but tempted to re tax it . A curry sounds good mate just PM me and ill let you know if im home!
    OK fella will do

Right, some info about the condition of the 11, from the seller:

Hole in the boot floor about the size of a 50p, needs welding
    Boot trim where the back panel sits has a hole that needs welding
    One of the sills has been recently welded and painted, other side may need looking at
    Horn doesn't work and the a front light may need a new bulb
    CD player needs replacing
    Sunroof needs resealing
    Carb may need setting up/refurbishment - no idea whether emissions OK

Hope I can still get an MOT with a broken CD player and leaky sunroof the only one I'm a little worried about is the unknown sill.....

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldntt mind a look at this when you get it. Not seen an 11 in years.

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldntt mind a look at this when you get it. Not seen an 11 in years.
    Can do no probs! As soon as I get hold of it will post up

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Can do no probs! As soon as I get hold of it will post up
    Inner front arches are the worst for rot. Check em.

That and the sills where the sideskirts catch, and hold on to, damp and wet mud.

Oh and the rear slam panel.

And the front crossmember.

Take your sunroof apart and if the rubbers are not ripped or damaged, rub them lovingly a few times with vaseline. It can help to refresh/re-expand the rubber and help it to seal better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveL485 View Post
    Inner front arches are the worst for rot. Check em.

That and the sills where the sideskirts catch, and hold on to, damp and wet mud.

Oh and the rear slam panel.

And the front crossmember.

Take your sunroof apart and if the rubbers are not ripped or damaged, rub them lovingly a few times with vaseline. It can help to refresh/re-expand the rubber and help it to seal better.
    Thanks for the info Dave much appreciated

Post Thanks / Like

When you collecting the beast then fella?

Post Thanks / Like

Well, still haven't set a date yet. The guy said he needed it shifting NOW cos the missus was biting his ear about it. I can't collect it personally til the 26th, so went onto Shiply website to get arrange a flatbed to go and get it.

BUT

I also said, let's see the V5C first then.......just waiting for sight of that........

Have paid put a deposit on the car, and also on the Shiply pick up.........

Post Thanks / Like

Ah I see, Shiply are good used them to pick up my phase 1 11 turbo I won on ebay as Im in Norwich & the car was in Devon lol

Post Thanks / Like

Ah I see, Shiply are good used them to pick up my phase 1 11 turbo I won on ebay as Im in Norwich & the car was in Devon lol
    no more pennies changing hands until the V5C is 'found'

Post Thanks / Like

no more pennies changing hands until the V5C is 'found'
    Dont blame ya, thats the absolute minimum of paperwork you want, any old mots, books, service history, invoices would be useful too

Post Thanks / Like

Dont blame ya, thats the absolute minimum of paperwork you want, any old mots, books, service history, invoices would be useful too
    exactly! Hopefully just a busy guy and it will turn out alreet

Post Thanks / Like

for anyone still holding their breath on this, the V5 was water damaged and chucked out with the rubbish.....the guy is going to get a new one

Post Thanks / Like

for anyone still holding their breath on this, the V5 was water damaged and chucked out with the rubbish.....the guy is going to get a new one
    Hmm ok understandable if it was kept under the kitchen sink lol fingers crossed a new one arrives soon, probably be a week or two knowing DVLA. Still looking forward to pics when you get it!!!

Post Thanks / Like

After waiting a couple more weeks for sight of the log book I politely told the guy put the car up his bottom. No V5, no way to check chassis number, engine number, number of owners, current ownders address, etc.

If a missing V5C was mentioned in the advert then fair enough. The guy said I put the winning bid in then he lost the V5: "you would of had the car with the V5 if you took the car when you bought it" meaning I took too long to pick the car up. Fair enough that may be true but the upshot is after putting a deposit down on the 18th of Sept, and asking to see the log book since at least the 8th of October, I still haven't seen any paperwork. I let the guy know I was out of the country too and gave him the option to sell it on if he couldn't wait til I was back.

Shame but at least I now have a Renault 11 Haynes manual and brochure to read haha.

Just waiting for a refund on my deposit and from Shiply too

Heigh ho. Never mind I have something else with 'Renault' and 'Turbo' badges planned for the end of the year. And I'm going to keep my big mouth shut about it til it is parked outside my house . It shall be mine, oh yes, it shall be mine......

Post Thanks / Like

About a month on, still waiting for refund car registration is E314 KDU and the guy is in Gateshead, so careful if you see this up for sale again. Not saying he is a dodgy geezer but my own experience was not good.

No matter, onwards and upwards! Here is the next adventure.....it's not on my drive yet.........but bought & paid for at least! From John Price in Hereford:

Post Thanks / Like

If youve bought that mate I'm very envious!

Will be really cool seeing that local.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow!!! That is lovely mate Congrats

Post Thanks / Like

That my friend is a thing of beauty!!! I really like that colour on it!! Top purchase!

Post Thanks / Like

wow wow , only if I could afford one ,

Post Thanks / Like

That T2's fantastic.

Deposit - Good luck getting that back.