Post Thanks / Like

Spraying stuff

Anyone know of any good info on spraying cars, I'm trying to re-spray the back 1/4 of Fluffy, and I suck.

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Spraying stuff

Got an interesting DVD on it, got it from eBay... Very much for the American market? But learnt some basics.... Happy to post out for you to borrow??

Post Thanks / Like

If you suck would it not be better and probably cheaper to pay a pro sprayer?? It's an art and takes a long time to get good results. You will need a decent spray gun, paint,thinners/hardener, air comp.. not going to be cheap. Youtube has plenty of good guides

Post Thanks / Like

Any fool can spray bud. Get the prep right and you can easily right a mistake in the spray... Ie run

Post Thanks / Like

Prep work is the most important mate spraying is the easy part, and the buffing is how you get a good finish, I saw a car once that had drips everywhere and looked ****e but after hours of buffing and doing it in different stages with the right compounds it looked really good

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ScottKinnear View Post
    Any fool can spray bud. Get the prep right and you can easily right a mistake in the spray... Ie run
    totally disagree. Anyone can paint but we can't all paint like picasso.

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers everyone - I have all the gear and as they say, no idea.

Chris - that would be superb if you don't mind fella. Might be good to get some basics down. I'll pm you my address

Rob - Yup I agree fella - I paid someone a couple of years ago to do mine, but tbh, I wasn't happy with the results but I couldn't complain as I only paid the chap £800. Which was all that I could spend. But like everything else I would get such a buzz if I could get this right, This is the one area which really presents a challenge to me and as Fluffy aint a looker, I don't mind having an ok job if I do it myself.

I just get confused with the different processes, I mean I have tried in celly paint and was unhappy, but never knew it was possible to buff right. I used rattle cans last week which went on ****e which I covered in clear to bring it back which didn't work. I then tried colour sanding all this back to be left with really shiny crap paintwork

I have some Celly left over which I'm gonna try again this week in a small gun and see if I can crack this puzzle.

As I see it, give it plenty of paint then colour sand and buff back.

BTW - I wonder why there are no sections on this within the RTOC - if I get it right, I' do an idiots guide.

Post Thanks / Like

I respect anyone that gives things ago. But it usually takes a lots of mistakes to do it right as you will know.
    I would forget the rattle cans. The celly you have will be your best best, it dries quick and is easy to work with and as others have mentioned it's all in the prep work, so take your time there,if it looks no good in primer then keep at it until you're happy before you go any further.
    Good luck. post some pics up when you have finished

Post Thanks / Like

spray plenty of coats too. After you have left it to dry you can use some wet flat paper in soapy water to rub any defects back,use a block to keep it flat, then use a compound to bring the shine back

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robw View Post
    I respect anyone that gives things ago. But it usually takes a lots of mistakes to do it right as you will know.
    I would forget the rattle cans. The celly you have will be your best best, it dries quick and is easy to work with and as others have mentioned it's all in the prep work, so take your time there,if it looks no good in primer then keep at it until you're happy before you go any further.
    Good luck. post some pics up when you have finished
    Cheers rob - will do buddy, I'll take some photo's as I go - I'll start tomorrow.

South West Regional Rep jesus in the seat of a 5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

i was told if you prep in a thong its allways a good start... pics as you go andy please....

Post Thanks / Like

was the rattle can paint Halfords? if it was you'll have to get it off the car totally before using proper paint on the car otherwise it will bubble up like buggery

Post Thanks / Like

andy matey i used to work in a paint shop, if you are using a can as said get the prep right but heres a little tip get a kettle and boil it add alittle cold water to take the edge off, then put the can in the water till rosey warm lol, make sure the nossle is free of water before you spray and then get it on the car, the heat makes it flow nicely out of the can with no splatter, dont over load the paint but get a good flow going, any runs just flat with 1200/1500, if i was closer id do it for yas matey

good luck mick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ScottKinnear View Post
    Defo not, there are people who say they can paint and then there are painters, the trade has had a bad name for a long time with all sorts of w**kers getting involved, the amount of **** I have seen at shows makes me laugh, and some of these people have paid top money. Still gripes me now seeing pony paint work

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jesus in the seat of a 5 View Post
    i was told if you prep in a thong its allways a good start... pics as you go andy please....

That would not improve things.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fordy View Post
    was the rattle can paint Halfords? if it was you'll have to get it off the car totally before using proper paint on the car otherwise it will bubble up like buggery

Car-plan stuff - I don't know what stuff Halfords bang out, but I'll be sanding back @ 400 and applying a couple of coats of primer 1st.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R5MJH View Post
    andy matey i used to work in a paint shop, if you are using a can as said get the prep right but heres a little tip get a kettle and boil it add alittle cold water to take the edge off, then put the can in the water till rosey warm lol, make sure the nossle is free of water before you spray and then get it on the car, the heat makes it flow nicely out of the can with no splatter, dont over load the paint but get a good flow going, any runs just flat with 1200/1500, if i was closer id do it for yas matey

good luck mick

Hi Mick - cheers for that bud, thanks for the advice chap, I'm gonna have a go with my gun next and I'm set on Celly now after a little more research.

Thong on standby.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rs250nut View Post
    Defo not, there are people who say they can paint and then there are painters, the trade has had a bad name for a long time with all sorts of w**kers getting involved, the amount of **** I have seen at shows makes me laugh, and some of these people have paid top money. Still gripes me now seeing pony paint work

There is a world of difference between the 2, I agree - and I aint paying 3k to have a 2k ****ter painted

It would be so much easier if the 5 was worth £££

But it aint.

Post Thanks / Like

WTF is that all about?

I set the regulator on my compressor @ 50psi, as soon as I start to spray it drops to 20psi no matter how high I turn this regulator up. I'm using a top feed gun (I've tried 2 different sizes, 1 full size and 1 smaller one) and have the same issue. I think I have an issue with my compressor now

The compressor is a 50ltr, 2.5hp unit. This should be more than enough for a spray gun. The main reciever is showing 100 psi, what the smeg is going on here?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TNT ANDY View Post

WTF is that all about?

I set the regulator on my compressor @ 50psi, as soon as I start to spray it drops to 20psi no matter how high I turn this regulator up. I'm using a top feed gun (I've tried 2 different sizes, 1 full size and 1 smaller one) and have the same issue. I think I have an issue with my compressor now

The compressor is a 50ltr, 2.5hp unit. This should be more than enough for a spray gun. The main reciever is showing 100 psi, what the smeg is going on here?
    Your compressor can not keep up, the output cfm is not high enough for what you need!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rs250nut View Post
    Your compressor can not keep up, the output cfm is not high enough for what you need!!!!!
    Really? how many CFM's does a gun need? I would have thought a 50l 2.5hp unit would be fine. I could have bought smaller. Just got a 2hp compressor off a friend. 4cfm. This might be the issue.
    Last edited by TNT ANDY; 17-09-2013 at 07:15.

Post Thanks / Like

Really? how many CFM's does a gun need? I would have thought a 50l 2.5hp unit would be fine. I could have bought smaller. Just got a 2hp compressor off a friend. 4cfm. This might be the issue.
    Might just run this one in tandem with mine lol.

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think when looking you need over 10cfm to spray

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
    I think when looking you need over 10cfm to spray
    I know, I have looked further into this and 8 cfm looks like a minimum.

Post Thanks / Like

Removed the outgoing air pressure regulater and Hey presto, 50 psi and good flow. Got 7 coats on ok, looks like ****, but a good colour sanding session should bring it back ok. I don't think I'll change my day joblol

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Add a little washing up liquid into the bucket before colour sanding and let the wet and dry soak for a while. Also keep checking the sandpaper for clogging and use fresh water regularly to clean away the panel your sanding. Also be careful on any edges as the paint will be thinner here. Get some pics up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nad-5GTT View Post
    Add a little washing up liquid into the bucket before colour sanding and let the wet and dry soak for a while. Also keep checking the sandpaper for clogging and use fresh water regularly to clean away the panel your sanding. Also be careful on any edges as the paint will be thinner here. Get some pics up.

How long should I leave it before starting to sand?

Hours ?
    Days?
    Weeks?

I'm using Cellulose.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd prob leave it a few days. But I will add I'm in no way an expert just an above average diyer so I could be wrong. If you've got orange peel finish then a squeegee is good to have because it will highlight any low spots that need sanding out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nad-5GTT View Post
    I'd prob leave it a few days. But I will add I'm in no way an expert just an above average diyer so I could be wrong. If you've got orange peel finish then a squeegee is good to have because it will highlight any low spots that need sanding out.
    Yeh, I was amazed at how well that works on the vids I've been watching. Thanks for the tips.

Post Thanks / Like

How long should I leave it before starting to sand?

Hours ?
    Days?
    Weeks?

I'm using Cellulose.
    Cellulose dries quick but I would leave it 24 hours. I have though wet flatted before after a few hours with no problems.