Post Thanks / Like

New discs and pads bedding in?

I've been reading my 'Subaru Performance Handbook' brake section and it has a note stating:

"Avoid fitting new discs and pads at the same time, because with use, discs form a heat hardened surface allowing them to bed in new soft pads and vice versa for old pads and new discs"

I always fit new pads when I change the discs so that you start off with two 'flat' contact surfaces.

What's the best way to do it?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New discs and pads bedding in?

that sounds like a load of poo poo.! there nothing wrong with fitting both parts new. if there were a cause for concern manufacturers of parts and probably vehicle manufacturers would state a warning notice.

Post Thanks / Like

Surely Subaru fit new discs and pads at the factory? thus contradicting their own advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tiff_lee View Post
    Surely Subaru fit new discs and pads at the factory? thus contradicting their own advice.
    The book was written in collaboration with MRT, it's not a Subaru official book.

I think as long as the pads are bedded in properly then, it doesn't matter if both parts are new?

The thing about new cars is, by the time the buyer gets them they've already got some mileage on them.

Post Thanks / Like

maybe in the high bucks world of Subaru ownership the old disks aren't all worn and rusty, in the real world fitting new pads to worn out grooved disks would be silliness itself.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Cooke View Post
    maybe in the high bucks world of Subaru ownership the old disks aren't all worn and rusty, in the real world fitting new pads to worn out grooved disks would be silliness itself.
    That's my logic Andy. I wanted to make sure that I haven't been doing wrong for all these years.

Trader
    Big Jim Racing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tiff_lee View Post
    It certainly used to be the case that manufacturers fitted an abrasive pad that was replaced at the first service, to help with the bedding in.

That said, how many times have new discs and pads been fitted together? Bed them in properly and there is no problem.

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

some jap cars have amazing brakes disks, most cars get 2 sets of pads per set of disks, some jap ones can take 3 or 4..

one guys honda accord estate was on the factory disks at 80k or so he was saying..