Post Thanks / Like

leon cupra r

Anyone had any dealings with the seat Leon cupra r? Looking at getting one with a remap and 260bhp, how do these compare to a 172 handling wise and general funness to drive?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: leon cupra r

Best get yourself vagcom. They love a fault light.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

They drink juice like a fighter jet too

Post Thanks / Like

Ok il look into getting that and seeing what that is. Would you say reliability is not very good then or that there's just a fault light for every electrical fault? Want something quick and reliable but which can still get pretty good mpg like the Leon can. Was thinking about a turbo'd 172 just a lot more effort to turbo it and would prefer a car with a turbo from factory.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kentraider View Post
    They drink juice like a fighter jet too
    I have been told that there quite good on juice 300miles to a tank etc... Which seems all right to me
    Is this from experience then matey?

Post Thanks / Like

My leon was solid and a great car. It never let me down but used to be a drama queen for fault lights. It was pretty nippy and stopped great with some ds2500 pads but good mpg was never somthing I would describe it as.
    Make sure the fans work properly when the aircon is switched on and don't pulse.
    My advise would be to join the cupra.net forum and hang around for a few weeks to get a feel of what to look for.

Oh and check for wet carpets as the door seals piss water in if not repaired.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SCHWARTZ View Post
    I have been told that there quite good on juice 300miles to a tank etc... Which seems all right to me
    Is this from experience then matey?
    Yeah my brother had one ....dont get me wrong great cars and handle great when lowered ....I noticed how juicy it was when I used to borrow it on the sly ha ha ....are u getting rid of ur 5 gary.....
    Last edited by kentraider; 13-08-2013 at 22:13.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had my 55reg cupra r for 3 years now and never had any fault lights or faults of any kind, although vagcom is a good idea, mines just reached 49k tho. I love it to bits, running vredestein ultrac sessenta tyres at the mo and in my option it handles great, also I wouldnt exactly say it drinks! fuel you can easy get into the 30s on long runs, I'm sure if your looking at a hot hatch mpg isn't the main concern anyway lol. Brakes are great imo too.

Post Thanks / Like

I have joined Leon owners club just waiting for my reply email. There is a list on there on what to look for when buying one common faults etc and I remember both of those being there but need to give it a good read first.
    I wonder if I'd be better off turboing a 172 then? Just wanted a car that had a turbo as standard really

Post Thanks / Like

There's mine!

Ya gota love the platinum grey ones!

Post Thanks / Like

I think the 5 is good on fuel but don't trust it to do long runs hence why another car is needed. The van only does 26mpg on the motorway so anything better than that really will do me.

Post Thanks / Like

I have joined Leon owners club just waiting for my reply email. There is a list on there on what to look for when buying one common faults etc and I remember both of those being there but need to give it a good read first.
    I wonder if I'd be better off turboing a 172 then? Just wanted a car that had a turbo as standard really
    Get one mate! Intact but mine! Lol I'm selling it soon as we have a dog now so I'm upgrading to an s4 advant, as you can prob see I couldn't give a monkeys about fuel consumption lol

Post Thanks / Like

Mine. The grey ones fetch a few quid more. Yellow are having lacquer issues now.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks awesome matey and is the colour I'm looking for as well, I like the yellow but they fade and don't want a black car as I won't clean it enough.
    I would be looking at nearer 100k miles prob go for a decent standard one and get it remapped if I go down the Leon route.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by car.crash View Post

Mine. The grey ones fetch a few quid more. Yellow are having lacquer issues now.
    Nice mate, what made you sell?

Post Thanks / Like

They both look wesome. So you say there defo a good car to go for then?

Post Thanks / Like

Got bored of it in all honesty. Great car, but it did everything without any dramas unlike a Renault plus I got pissed off with the mpg.

Probably one of the best cars I've owned though and it had 70k and was absolutely solid inside and out without rattles or what felt like any wear.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andyturbo! View Post
    Get one mate! Intact but mine! Lol I'm selling it soon as we have a dog now so I'm upgrading to an s4 advant, as you can prob see I couldn't give a monkeys about fuel consumption lol
    How much would you be looking for? Any mods etc...?

Post Thanks / Like

They both look wesome. So you say there defo a good car to go for then?
    For the money mate I'd defo say they are mate, plus alot more individual compared to golfs and the like, loads better looking IMO

Post Thanks / Like

How much would you be looking for? Any mods etc...?
    Pm for you mate

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah not a fan of golfs but you can't argue with the build quality so the Leon is best of both worlds

Post Thanks / Like

Vagcom is this a programe to put on your laptop and use a cable or is it a unit in its self? Any suggestions for best place to buy?

Post Thanks / Like

I had a cheap hand held scanner for code reading, but the proper vagcom is much better and can do most things. Can't remember the one they rave about though.

Post Thanks / Like

Il ask on loc when the regester me maybe they will have some links to ie etc...

Post Thanks / Like

Ross tec for the authorised cable and vag.com is on their website to download

DG

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

The full fat version of VCDS isn't cheep,it's a couple of hundred quid for the lead at least depending on what type the car needs (will be a guide on Rosstec)

You could just get the lite version (foc) and a moody cable from eBay (£15 or so) which should scan & clear most modules but it will not code them.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok il look into getting that and seeing what that is. Would you say reliability is not very good then or that there's just a fault light for every electrical fault? Want something quick and reliable but which can still get pretty good mpg like the Leon can. Was thinking about a turbo'd 172 just a lot more effort to turbo it and would prefer a car with a turbo from factory.
    I might be a bit biased but i love mine and had no issues:

http://abarthcarsuk.com/abarth-cars/abarth-punto-evo/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Grier View Post
    Ross tec for the authorised cable and vag.com is on their website to download

DG
    I think il do that if I get one as its only the basics il need anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Cole View Post
    I might be a bit biased but i love mine and had no issues:

http://abarthcarsuk.com/abarth-cars/abarth-punto-evo/
    Sorry but just not a fan of any pinto even though they are getting better bit still not my cup of tea

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

If its a car that size that you want personally Id get another Megane R26 - I tested everything before buying one years ago and have since had 2 - love them, handle amazingly, loads of mods available, plenty of potential for more power - mine was up to 285bhp
    Tyres arent cheap, petrol averages about 28mpg but for the money nthing comes close
    I sold my silver one in November and im still completely gutted - bought my 5 to get over the meg but its not the same - I love the 5 but the continual adustments, fixing things and difficulty in getting parts is getting a bit annoying

One for old times

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Gary what about an Mitsi evo?

Post Thanks / Like

I like the r26 just think there a bit out of my price range. James is love an EVO 5 or 6 but again it comes down to money and running costs with an EVO, think I would have to sell it of it needed anything fixing

Post Thanks / Like

leons don't handle well at all

I have the fr version and its a boat but 55mpg everyday I just can get rid of it.

Been round snetterton in a mates cupra r and it handled horrible not much better than my fr, the rear beam axle just doesn't do the car justice, when compared to say an s3 with multilink rear suspension.

personally go for the megane it'll have a better chassis

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

How much you looking at spending if you don't mind me asking? Sure I could find a nice R26 or if not a 225 - 95% same car but second hand are stupidly cheap in comparison

Post Thanks / Like

looks like i could get a 225 for 3k so may look at those as well. Can get an evo 4 for 4k tho

Post Thanks / Like

The Cupra r is not a bad car in my eyes just keep some spare coil packs in the boot seat Cupra.net isn't the best place to look for information they have sponsors revo apr etc and push you on generic maps. Don't be fooled by the '225'bhp the earlier r's were 210bhp engine codes are bam for 225 and amk for 210. Still the same ko4 turbo and everything else. reliability wise my friend has one at 442bhp still stock clutch and dmf eBay gt28 and he literally spanks the living f€ck everywhere he goes and it still wants more. Modding wise it's like any other car it's all about flow in and out the engine. 3" turbo back exhausts can be had for £220 a good flowing 2.5" Fmic £200 including piping. A good turbo inlet pipe from the likes of the forge supersize can add a instant 15bhp and 10lb ft of torque then air filter the black piper cross foam filter are favoured. That setup and a r-tech or badger5 custom map can see you knocking on the doors of 300bhp and the same with torgue. The good thing about these is that they have the me7.5 ecu so with forged rods you can have launch control no lift shift gear based boost maps and 5 changable maps for the journey for example drop the clutch tap brake youll have 10psi boost keep tapping brake to map 5 say 22psi boost this is on a oem ecu no need for omex etc and only at r-tech pretty the place to take your 1.8t. With a generic map the turbo becomes very spiky and egt's start creeping up and afr's are all wrong seen so many driveway mapped cars and makes you wonder how they run. So summary there getting cheaper to buy parts are cheap if you know we're to look. With say £7-800 you could have 300bhp and a car that will hold boost to the redline. Vagcom isn't bad to have I have copy I could send you and the cables are £20 of fleabay. Hope this helps

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

My mate has one and it's 400bhp running td05 18g turbo . Forged rods ,1mm oversized valves blah blah.
    It's an animal to drive and handles like it's on rail tracks.
    Big bang for buck and serious grin factor.
    When I drove it to stealth racing to have the torque limit exceeded removed it pulled all the way to 150 easily and still had another gear to go.
    Vagcom is a must for tuning these. They throw a whole host of codes. It deffo doesn't like WOT box lol .
    If running big bhp lsd helps as does solid lightweight flywheel and 6 puck clutch.
    Jabba started this one and I did everything after the ihi was ditched(ran out of puff @ 6k)
    No rev limit now and pulls all the way to the top of the redline .
    Great fun .

Post Thanks / Like

That's a lot of good info matey. Been looking at evo's now though. Can't argue with 4wd.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a lot of good info matey. Been looking at evo's now though. Can't argue with 4wd.
    Take it that passenger ride at the Surrey meet impressed you?

Post Thanks / Like

Evos are good they drink fuel though. I had a queens silver evo 2 a few months back running 400 atw with a unknown garrett turbo easily fastest Car I've had. had to run another 2 injectors in boost run for it to fuel right. I did 140 miles to pod and back taking it steady and no strip action and it robbed me of £85 lol I've got a 1.8t a4 Quattro now on meth

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R5MJH View Post
    Take it that passenger ride at the Surrey meet impressed you?
    I wanted an EVO before the 5 and I wanted a delta before that and still do but an EVO seems more practical than a delta. The passenger ride did impress me but I think it would be the cornering that I would like to see some more of.
    The fuel issue is my main concern bit I don't commute for work it would be the odd long drive on the weekend so might not be too bad.
    Bumblebee why two more injectors in the boost run? Didn't bigger injectors work?