Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

anyone else lose there motivation.

I just can't seem to find the motivation to find & fix an oil leak on my car, I haven't drove or touched the car since the retro show, ok I've been on holiday then had to find and get a new car because mine was forever going into limp mode, now I've got a project going on in the garden, and the missus has got me to join a gym again because I'm packing on the pounds. I guess what I'm getting at here is by the time I have any spare time I just can't be arsed with lying under a car trying to fix it I just hope I get my mojo back soon soon or the summer will be long gone.

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: anyone else lose there motivation.

You have done loads with your 5 and it's looking fantastic real credit to you and your abilities but I know what it's like do all the work and something else needs doing. I recently sold well gave the car away considering what I paid for the bloody thing. It was down to lack of motivation / spending the time with the family I bought something a little more reliable yet quick and i have no regrets at all at the moment other than fuel costs.
    Last edited by James5; 30-07-2013 at 14:48.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nad-5GTT View Post
    I just can't seem to find the motivation to find & fix an oil leak on my car, I haven't drove or touched the car since the retro show, ok I've been on holiday then had to find and get a new car because mine was forever going into limp mode, now I've got a project going on in the garden, and the missus has got me to join a gym again because I'm packing on the pounds. I guess what I'm getting at here is by the time I have any spare time I just can't be arsed with lying under a car trying to fix it I just hope I get my mojo back soon soon or the summer will be long gone.
    Get an Oil drip tray mate, like I've done!

I've had a leak on my Raider for years and just like you can't be @rsed to pull the engine out to investivate & re-seal it all. It's a mission to try & stop a C1J leaking oil from somewhere i'm convinced!

Mind you i've just recently seen THESE on e-bay and am thinking I may try one next time I get the mojo to try & fix my leak!

Post Thanks / Like

I know just how you feel my car wasn't finished for national day and I had other bits going on so missed the main event of the year. I only have a few bits to do before I put the engine and box back in but lack of time and motivation and like you say soon summer will be over it happens every once in a while but then when the car is on the road it all comes back thinking of buying another 5 again so even if ones off the road the other one will keep me interested

Post Thanks / Like

I got to the point on the Renault 5 where I never wanted to touch another. One job always seemed to multiply into 3 more and it got boring.

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto. Im lucky to have an hour a week! Thinking of selling the lot and buying an intergrale!

Post Thanks / Like

I havent touched my van since sangliers trip at the end of may and the gtt has only been for its mot. Its hard to find time at the moment.

As for your oil leak, you might never fix it. I have tried many times on the van with no luck to seal the sump. Sometimes ignorance is best if its only a minor leak?

Post Thanks / Like

ive got none neil and its not even my car, still got to do loads too

new konis on rear
    another carb
    complete 2 1/2 exhaust and dp
    grill mount intercooler
    oil/filter

alot of us are in the same boat, yet on own car the subaru i never even lift the bonnet except to check the oil/water

its a 5 they always need something doing matey

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Not just you fella, also got an oil leak which is doing my head in, mot showed up a few more jobs that will need looking at/replacing before next years

Post Thanks / Like

Alot of people in the same situation then! Atleast it will be sitting patiently for your in the garage for when your enthusiasm returns.

sadly I dont and wont have any time for my 5 this summer. It needs a new rear bumper, tailgate, rear shocks, top mounts and possibly a respray etc But after buying our first house all of our cash is being poured into it to get it up to scratch..

Im looking forward to winter now so I can perhaps get some tinkering done instead of DIY

Post Thanks / Like

Mines sat dry stored for 3 only thing I've done lately is dent it accidentally.

Btw motivation creeping back slowly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JRP View Post
    Mines sat dry stored for 3 only thing I've done lately is dent it accidentally.

Btw motivation creeping back slowly
    ditto. I desperately want to get it running again

Post Thanks / Like

I am pretty much useless when it comes to building or fixing cars. I just want to own a 5, I hate working on cars.

Therefore, I don't tend to lose motivation as I'm happy to pay others to do the work. However, I do find I run out of money often enough

Post Thanks / Like

"work in progress" is what I keep telling everyone about my car! Get on top of those other bits and bobs, then worry about the car.

Once your bored of the garden and the gym, you will be loving the 5 again... Even more so when you drive it

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is in the garage in a million bits covered in dust under the bonnet is just the block with only three pistons and a gearbox. Everything else is in the boot. Got mostly everything I need bar a few bits, got two holidays to fund and two 2 year olds to look after. Feels like it's never going to be back in one piece, also needs mot'ing and insuring, no chance now for this summer.

Sometimes I can see why people want rid, I'm far to sentimental for that, couldn't ever imagine someone else driving it away.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Try having to sort 3 of your own builds, plus 2 day to day cars to keep running!

That's why the 5 had to go, I had a full 2 weeks of work and managed 4 hrs in the garage

Still it'll be gone Sunday, then my Dads drag car to sort (fit new engine & box). then I can finally get on with the fiesta..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Reed View Post
    Try having to sort 3 of your own builds, plus 2 day to day cars to keep running!

That's why the 5 had to go, I had a full 2 weeks of work and managed 4 hrs in the garage

Still it'll be gone Sunday, then my Dads drag car to sort (fit new engine & box). then I can finally get on with the fiesta..

yep know how that feels

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    I am pretty much useless when it comes to building or fixing cars. I just want to own a 5, I hate working on cars.

Therefore, I don't tend to lose motivation as I'm happy to pay others to do the work. However, I do find I run out of money often enough
    Took the words right out of my mouth. Lol

Although touch wood its been a 7months of carefree driving. I also have a bad oil leak.

Post Thanks / Like

i used to worry the **** out of myself with my last 5...to the point of being scared to drive it.spending so much money and time and i used to worry my arse off about bloody everything.
    i had an issue which made me sell it for a ridiculously low price and for a minute after i thought that was fine but all i have did since then is whinge and greet about how i missed it and wanted anohter...soooooo many things got in the way and only until recently when i got my project i realise i actually love it lololol
    its all part and parcel i reckon.theres nothing better if you ask me.keep going ...youll get it....weight comes and goes...garden will get attended too...but good 5s like yours from what i can see are few and far between.take your time.dont rush in...its not going anywhere and when you do have the time enjoy it!

Post Thanks / Like

This thread has just reminded me... must fix an oil leak and change a leaking CV boot.

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

I always lose my motivation!! I wanted my 5 ready for the ND before last ! lol. and its still in bits

Its a case of put it away in the garage and wait for another day. House, job, DIY, kids and general life get in the way, but I will get her finished one day mate.

If you ever need a hand, give me a shout, you cant be too far away.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by car.crash View Post
    I got to the point on the Renault 5 where I never wanted to touch another. One job always seemed to multiply into 3 more and it got boring.
    Yep. 110% agree with what crash said.

Mine is finished nearly, but its a never ending story.

Non-member old skool turbo power's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
    Yep. 110% agree with what crash said.

Mine is finished nearly, but its a never ending story.

ill start off with the brake lines needed replacing...............as you come to start the lines there is a lot more than what you think once you have started,i found out the hard and costely wayno one mentioned hand brake cables my little clio mk1 gives me less hassel now,good little runner cost nothing in petrol also

Post Thanks / Like

I get like that too from time to time but find seeing other GTT turbos or even other 80's cars get me going again.

Pop up to the Surrey meet next week otherwise know as "Renault turbo onwers anonymous" you can share with the support group.

If I'm there I'll take you for a blast up the dual carriageway that should get you back your motivation.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a weeping oil return pipe , oil is flying out of somewhere and covering the bonnet ( think dipstick !) car is far too rich, I think the manifold gasket has gone as smoke coming from round back of engine, need to fit coilovers.

Or just take the R26 out for a blast.

I am working on the five all weekend to get it right.

Post Thanks / Like

Your definately not alone when it comes to motivation.......and it'll be the same for most of us, start one job,leads to another,leads to another

Just try and chill, forget about it, and when you've time.....tinker that's what I end up trying to do

For me, I've got a love - hate thing going on with my car, but if I'm honest, if someone walked upto me with the cash in hand I'd probably sell it: F**king piece of shhhhite

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

At least it's not just me then, I guess sometimes normal life takes over and the cars have too take a back burner thanks for the positive or constructive comments though. Liam R ye I'm only in Sittingbourne bud, if ever I need a hand I'll take you up on the offer .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Logg View Post
    I get like that too from time to time but find seeing other GTT turbos or even other 80's cars get me going again.

Pop up to the Surrey meet next week otherwise know as "Renault turbo onwers anonymous" you can share with the support group.

If I'm there I'll take you for a blast up the dual carriageway that should get you back your motivation.
    Well said that man could not agree more

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    Your definately not alone when it comes to motivation.......and it'll be the same for most of us, start one job,leads to another,leads to another

Just try and chill, forget about it, and when you've time.....tinker that's what I end up trying to do

For me, I've got a love - hate thing going on with my car, but if I'm honest, if someone walked upto me with the cash in hand I'd probably sell it: F**king piece of shhhhite
    yep that definitely sums up my feelings too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Logg View Post

loggs car is a motivator lol, if ya at meet im bringing the camcorder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post

Im the same,if someone offered me the cash i would probably sell but i dont want to sell it enough to do a proper advert.m

South West Regional Rep jesus in the seat of a 5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Good thread..., just recently after sangliers of which however I did enjoy and made me fall in love with the ole lecky blue phase1... I had a "wobble"..., I started getting all... what shall I do with them .. what about this car, what about that one etc etc.... its only cos life is so busy these days.. family life, own business etc, it sometimes gets one down an I wish I was in them more.... of which I plan to be next year., As all have said, once your back in one etc... youll have no doubt. its a starnge thing the 5 buzz but if you ever get it... you never lose it, you just mislay it.., I have a list for every car...sometimes its small, sometimes its big.., just try and remind yourself from time to time of how great it was when you first bought it, drove it and fell in love with it...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jesus in the seat of a 5 View Post
    just try and remind yourself from time to time of how great it was when you first bought it, drove it and fell in love with it...

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got bucket loads of motivation, just lacking on time...

Trader
    GT Turbo Spares co.uk
    South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ashy View Post
    I've got bucket loads of motivation, just lacking on time...