Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

the le car 2 turbo

well not really a project as its mot'd taxed and insured meaning ive been able to drive it. a few little things to sort out, mainly a bulb, some indicator lenses and the brakes but all good fun. Picked her up thursday, insured and taxed on the friday and then off to french car show sat followed by the cotswold classic car show on sunday morning. Alot of people know the car but shes now mine

a few pics from over the weekend

i might raise the rear 1 notch as its a touch too low. car drives well though she gets a wobble on, hopefully it just needs the wheels balancing

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: the le car 2 turbo

Awesome!

Post Thanks / Like

I love this car.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I love your car,

Post Thanks / Like

tip with the indicator lenses, you will need the whole assembly as most that are for sale have screws in a different place to the ones that are on that car.....
    just check out the screw placement.......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    tip with the indicator lenses, you will need the whole assembly as most that are for sale have screws in a different place to the ones that are on that car.....
    just check out the screw placement.......
    will do buddy something to look into

Post Thanks / Like

Good to see you yesterday mate, and also the chance to see this in the flesh. Amazing car

Committee Member
    Events
    Post Thanks / Like

Gets the "slammed 66 seal of approval"

Post Thanks / Like

Adrian I can't believe we have been on the boards for ages and I only have just realised who you are now I met you yesterday it was a great day and your car looked sweet sitting there cheers for lending me your boot for the day with my wheel it must have helped as I won the iconic section cheers mate

South West Regional Rep jesus in the seat of a 5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

shes a beut buddy, good to see you in one again... don't leave it so long next time.., keep up sparkies good work with her bud, catch up sooooon...

Post Thanks / Like

cheers all, ill be tapping you up for some bits soon jesus.

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks great Adey, I may have some bits from the old gordin, will check the Garage and let you know

Post Thanks / Like

that would be great, drop me a pm

Post Thanks / Like

Wanna sell it already? Pm me.
    If it had been up 2 weeks later we would be fighting for that.
    Looked very nice at the weekend

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Great car mate, - I was watching this on ebay and dreaming!

Post Thanks / Like

You swapped the wheels about yet?

"We're not gunna make it!!!...oh, that wasnt so bad!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by philr5t View Post
    Adrian I can't believe we have been on the boards for ages and I only have just realised who you are now I met you yesterday it was a great day and your car looked sweet sitting there cheers for lending me your boot for the day with my wheel it must have helped as I won the iconic section cheers mate

Was the spare wheel polished and coated in some sort of jizzy wax? Got it all on my hands

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky View Post

Was the spare wheel polished and coated in some sort of jizzy wax? Got it all on my hands
    its that spray on stuff to make the tyres shine never used it before and won't again as its now all over my harnesses

Post Thanks / Like

pressed metal number plates fitted this morning and replaced the blown side light bulb. also took it for tracking and wheel balancing, wheels look quite straight though the tires are a little out of shape. might be from long periods of standing still.

Post Thanks / Like

I love this car so much

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by djinuk View Post
    I love this car so much
    Agree'd pure sex on skinny wheels

Post Thanks / Like

Not too much happening with this at the mo. Tidied up the bay a little, painted some rusty brackets and tried to get her to idle smooth. Undecided what to do with her next, my old one i converted to run a gtt carb and it gave a great increase in power. Id like to do the same or efi this time but im collecting parts so i can always return her to standard if i needed too. After doing the job before it should be an easy conversion if i went either way but i would try to keep it more oem. properly mounted fuel pump under the car with a modified pick up for the tank. The last one ran a swirl pot setup and 2 pumps mounted in the car, it was a little noisy and probably dangerous.

will try and find a new brake fluid res and header tank to clean it up a little more in there. Another little thing just to make her a little nicer to drive was having the sun roof tinted. In the sun it would beam through and make me squint alot. Its a little touch nothing major just makes it a little nicer in there, god im getting old

Post Thanks / Like

Cool as feck efi gets my vote

Committee Member
    Events
    Post Thanks / Like

Excuse my ignorance but is the engine that far removed from that of the Renault 5 Turbo and Turbo 2? Clearly fuel injection and turbos differ but internally?

Post Thanks / Like

not that different, the turbo had mechanical fuel injection and different turbo, also intercooled and i think made 160-165bhp stock. This has a draw through carb no intercooling and made 110bhp from factory, this has a slight boost increase and at last dyno put down 120bhp. my last one made 150bhp on a gtt carb at about 10psi. Dont think i will look at changing the turbo size as the lag kinda makes it what it is and gives it character. I think its higher compression than the turbo 2 and gtt so full efi should give it some oomph

Post Thanks / Like

Has the Renault 8 been sold

Post Thanks / Like

its undercover on the drive

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Off the top of my head I think the compression ratio is 8.6:1 for the Gordini turbo.

What sort of power/torque can you run before the clutch slips? Am I right in thinking they run a smaller diameter clutch than the gtt?

I'm sure I've heard of gtt carb/intercooler conversions making close to 200bhp at 1 bar of boost, although perhaps that's with a different turbo also?

Post Thanks / Like

my last one was slipping at a bar this one will end up needing a paddle clutch though ive already got the part number for a helix. not sure if the higher compression ratio will limit power in the long run. yeah the gordini came with a 180mm clutch some had a 190 i think but ive not seen a 190mm flywheel.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a brand new header tank and some other bits... youll need to hug me though

Post Thanks / Like

really, feel free to reply to my pm's then and ill do more than hug you lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adey aka Ewok View Post
    really, feel free to reply to my pm's then and ill do more than hug you lol
    cor`... that's what I call a deal... my lover` {west country}...

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Pure sex on wheels mate, love to own a motor as cool as that!

Post Thanks / Like

Love that dash!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Really love this car dude, you were parked opposite me at FCS. Mine was the silver 25

Prab

Post Thanks / Like

recieved a few bits from sparkie today (top man) mainly some indicator lenses. alot fresher than the ones i had fitted so i gave them a clean and fitted them up

has anyone hap plastic reflectors re chromed? mine are dulling a fair bit behind the newer lenses and could do with re doing if possible? Next on the to buy list are tinted yellow fogs or fog light covers? not sure what route to go down?

Also had a look at fitting my omp strut brace though it needs drilling to fit and im abit unsure if i should do it?

Post Thanks / Like

more pics done by a friend today, car was dirty but still looks good. Also been slowly working through some niggly issues, gear shift is now super slick and almost silent. greased up all the joints and adjusted the clutch cable. Will be removing the grill tomorrow to move the speedo cable so i can re align it a little better and i also found a split in the driverside bumper bracket, needs a small bead of weld and itll be fixed.

Post Thanks / Like

Great pics.

I love how deep brown the window tints are on the higher spec 5's of this era (doesn't show up on all pics but definitely in the arty shots above)

I'd like to see what this looks like on some Gordini rims. Though I realise that's away from OE.
    Last edited by Trevhib; 14-08-2013 at 11:25.

Post Thanks / Like

im on the hunt for a set actually

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

That is so f*cking cool! Has to be one of my, if not my favourite 5s on here

Post Thanks / Like

little update but not much to show yet. Flywheel is currently in a machine shop getting modified for a 44-1 trigger pattern, this will allow me to run an aftermarket ecu for mapable fuel injection and ignition. Should hopefully release a few ponies from her. Not looking for massive figures but hope to gain alot of mid range and make it a better drive. Its very old school with its delivery at the moment and doesnt get going till about 4k. An old manifold has also had it flanges cut off to donate them selves to the new inlet manifold. Design of that hasnt been finalized yet but its very tight where it needs to go so its going to be more design to fit than designed for big power. The rest of the bits, injetors and tb i hope to get from a clio 172, the loom i have is from my old sc 172 and was adapted to use stock clio 172 parts so if i can keep it with the same parts i dont have to do any re wiring of it. I will upload pics as i get things back from the shop and start to work on the manifold.

Also the you will be able to see the car in a magazine soon

Post Thanks / Like

picked up the flywheel this morning, there were a few issues when trying to come up with a wheel that would work with an aftermarket ecu, the trigger pattern needed to be changed to a custom setup which required a custom writing of the ecu's software. this has been tackled by omex technologies and works on the test rig fine. next was to have the flywheel itself modified to have the trigger pattern on and thats when the fun started, it looks like it will work fine and although the stock casting/machining was slightly out this has been corrected. obviously i wont know for sure until its in and fitted but for now its a piece of the puzzle. next thing is to start building a manifold for it all.

Post Thanks / Like

i have being measuring up again today trying to see how i can squeeze and inlet manifold setup into the bay and im getting stuck. its tighter in here that it is in a gtt, theres a wiper motor in the way and the alternator over hangs the manifold slightly too. i dont want to mess with the shell or the original parts too much as id like to have the option to revert to stock if needed at a later date.

its hard to show what i mean but heres a pic. any ideas? i was looking to try and have 4 swept runners up into a barrel type plenum.

stumped really. wondering if i could go down the tried and tested gtt carb conversion though with a modded inlet manifold so the bonnet closes and run it with mappable ignition. I have also heard that the lancia carb might bolt to the stock manifold so that could be an option also though i have no idea if i can even get hold of one. Has any one here used one on s gtt?

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have any pics of a standard inlet manifold or measurements of the port spacing?

Post Thanks / Like

do you mean off the head face or carb face? yeah got plenty of pics if not it can go outside and grab some, whys that bud?

Post Thanks / Like

Just to see if it could be adapted to efi, have you looked at other car manifolds to see if the staving is similar and you could swap the flange over?

Post Thanks / Like

It's the space restriction that's an issue, I'm going to remove some bits to see if I can under mount the injectors on the stock manifold. I've seen efi done on lhd versions but they have some more space due to not having a steering rack running through and they can modify the bulkhead as the pedals are on the other side.

Post Thanks / Like

still unsure if i can build a manifold in there but i had a spare manifold so cut it up and the flanges faced off so i can use them if needed

i have been looking into some of the oem manifolds on other cars, there are a few that seem to have a very small plenums, i think i can get in and build one just, though injector placement is going to be a big issue. options are to mount them further back up the runners though ive been told that the closer to the valves the better?

Post Thanks / Like

4" scorpion would finish that off a treat

Genuinely though thats a little stunner, pure Old skool cool

Post Thanks / Like

im tempted to throw a sidey on for giggles, trying to get a devil (replica) sidey made for it at the moment.

as i was clearing through some old parts i remembered i was told ph1 gtt fogs are the same as the lecar ones, well the glass defo is.Id already been looking to buy some yellow fogs and it turns out i had some already lol quick clean and on they went