Post Thanks / Like

Project Pie In The Sky

Hi all,

Thought I would introduce Jet, My black Phase two no O.E GTT. Ive only owned her for around 6 weeks but have had my fair share of ups and downs already, and have already spent a fair wage of time (and money) change/modifing/fixing things so thought that I may make a thread.

The shell is an Ex- BMS shell and the engine was built by Marky-Mark back in '07.

tec-spec;

T25
    balanced crank and lightened flywheel,
    Piper 285 cam and vernier
    slightly ported head with Piper valve springs
    Side exit
    Huge front mount
    Other usual R5 mods

This is what she looked like the day I picked her up

Not a lot happened at first, showed friends etc but after boosting/pottering around for a couple weeks I decided to take her down to K-tec as its only an hour from me to have a go on the rr

turned out that we couldnt make full power as I still had a standard fuel pump, and we were emptying the carb. Still mighty impressed with the results and hoping for a nudge over 180 bhp at 6.25K now that I have the larger fuel pump fitted.

Had to get rid of the silly boat seat for the passenger and the mrs. was to short for the pedals in the bold in bucked so had to sort out some new front seats

Not to everyone's taste I know but for the short term it sorts out a lot of problems and only set me back £20 so seemed a no brainer, I also managed to source a nice red carpet from fleabay as I have always felt it sets of the interior for the 5.

Spent a little time tidying up the interior fitting odd plastics etc that I had

Then the nice weather came around so spend a good few hours in the sun with some t-cut, polish and my favourite cloth which resulted in;

And believe it or not, as I turned 21 I am now allowed to supervise which means this now happens

Plans for the future include;

Removing the roll cage and go for a more OE interior
    Take the engine out and rebuild,
    Sort out some patches of rust, blemishes
    Rear exit exhaust and standard rear bumper,
    If/When i can afford to, respray in glacier white with a black bonnet

I am a Marine engineer technician so do have a some mechanical knowledge but it will be the first time i will have taken on something quite this big, prepare the forums for lots of 'newbie' questions.

I will hopefully make it up to the ND next year if not in this then in the daily RS
    Last edited by Benjibrady; 20-08-2013 at 15:46.

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Project Pie In The Sky

Looks like a good project... Hope you have had your full licence for a minimum of 3 years to....

Post Thanks / Like

always loved this car.. welcome to the fold

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, really want to get her back to her former glory.

and yeah passed my test when I was 17 so, all is legal

Post Thanks / Like

If she can learn in a gtt then she should find a modern car nice and easy

It's a really nice five this and nice to see another one being used as opposed sat idle in a garage in bits (like mine)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GTphil View Post
    If she can learn in a gtt then she should find a modern car nice and easy

It's a really nice five this and nice to see another one being used as opposed sat idle in a garage in bits (like mine)
    Yeah pretty much gone for the idea that if she can learn to drive this, she should be fine in anything with four wheels.

Yeah I adore this car, she isnt my daily but isnt a show car either, ive already used her for all sorts, moving exhausts, moving house, etc

this sort of shows what i mean

On a more thread related note, managed to get down the car club at work today, and have joined up as a member so now have full access to a workshop. Will be changing the rear wheel bearings in a week or two.

Post Thanks / Like

Small update today nothing too spectacular, have been driving here there and everywhere trying to sort out the issue with my sum and it looks like its rebuild time so am now on the look out for parts required or possibly a new engine

In the mean time fitted shiny new brakes (which now are not shiny at all and look like they have been on the car for 10+years) and a much to manys dislike a 2" rear exit scorpion with a 4" back box, probably a touch over the top but got a good price on it as it had some white over spray (???) so after a hour with some emery cloth and white spirit got it looking good as new.

Finally sorted out using one of the bays at work which makes life so much easier

Also got a replacement standard rear bumper of mike, does need a respray, but so does the whole car, if anyone knows someone that does them competitively

In need of a damn good clean (again)

South West Regional Rep Alastair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi mate!

Ill take you over to see Kev about the respray, are you around over summer?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah man, my leave is a little old, week off, week on, two weeks off, 5 weeks on, 1 week off.

Not that far from me to drive down from home anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Small update today

Other day I started doing this

and a little bit of this

Came out like this

after a bit of flattening

Havent buffed it yet as its not been long enough for the paint to dry underneath but all in all very happy with the result bearing in mind I hadn't touched a sheet of wet 'n' dry until the other day let alone any filler work.

As the bumper wasn't in an embarrassing state anymore I went up to Prescott and joined the club, great day out and some fantastic metal going up the hill.

But the big news is this;

Spec is;
    Standard internals
    Standard injectors
    Garrett T34.48 360 degree bearing
    Tubular manifold
    Heat wrapped down pipe
    Scoff's unlocked ECU

I have no idea of the success of installing this, turbo looks rather large, not sure how applicable it will be, has anyone used/heard of one being used on this sort of set up? Do have a set of orange injectors to go in once the engine is in and running okay. Needless to say Ill have 1001 questions as the engine goes in trying to get it running.

Post Thanks / Like

Smalley update as there has been a fair bit going on over the last fortnight,

Finally pulled my finger out and got to work on the 5 at the start of the month, and, to be honest it has all gotten a little out of hand,

Just after the C1J came out, Al (who I owe a huge thanks to, has been on the end of the phone for the last 6 weeks) bought this

Which, in its heyday, was stunning, really well set up car, but unfortunately time and neglect has meant that it has been broken. Cut a long story short, I ended up having a lot more off it than originally thought, so, the bits and pieces that are going on are,

- gas coil overs with gaz adjustable rear dampers
    -solid enginemounts - including a solid GTX engine mount
    -Clio PAS rack & Pump
    -Swirl pot & high pressure pump
    -Flocked Dash
    -Armtech rev limiter & launch control
    -Gizzmo IBC electronic boost controller
    -Larger 'custom' radiator
    Probably loads more stuff that Ive forgotten about.

Car is coming on quickly, but has slowed down about over the last two days due to a couple difficults getting stuff bolted up.

FLOCKING HELL!

Looking a bit of a mess at the moment, but im hoping it'll look tidy when its done

Have purchased A B18E cam as well, tempted to send it away and see if i can get them to regrind it to 285 to see if it makes any difference

P.s. A big thanks to the aforementioned Al, Haz, Scoff, Schwartz, Markey Mark (and anyone if i have forgotten you - sorry) as you guys have been a massive help
    Last edited by Benjibrady; 18-10-2013 at 21:23.

Post Thanks / Like

She lives!!!!

Finally got her started today, filled her up with oil etc and did a little of wiring and after a little fiddle she burst into live.
    Not running amazingly smoothly, and seems to run better on tick over with the afm metter unplugged :/ going to have to find out what is going on

Not the most recent photo that I have but its nearly complete in this one

Post Thanks / Like

That looks hard as nails. great work

Post Thanks / Like

Has been a little while since this has been updated. But a lot has happened.
    Power steering is all in and wired up. Surprisingly loud but thankfully can't hear it when driving around.
    Currently fitting megasquirt ms1v3 with fords edis4 to run twin coil pack. (Thanks Andy)
    360cc/min t5 orange injectors
    B18e cam
    Markey marks polished intake plenum with a 740 throttle body swapped to the other side.
    Hoping to have it back sorted within the next couple weeks.

If I'm honest I'll be disappointed if it makes anything less than 220bhp at 22psi.

Have started thinking about ways of incorporating some sorted of antilag as 22psi doesn't come until 4k :/ anyone got any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work mate..cars looks good will defo check it out on ND. so wish i had power steering...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys,

Is a mess at the moment :/ ideally I'll strip her again end of next year and get her repainted. Just can't decide which colour.
    If I'm honest power steering is a bit of a gimmic. Wasn't much effort to put in, but I feel like if lost some feedback whilst pressing on. Having said that general drive or parking is much nicer

Post Thanks / Like

Ive only got wee arms so the parking is my issue... lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quick update as I haven't done much with this of late

New cam is in and the belt is just waiting to go on (nice face Aliastair)Orange t5 injectors are ready to go in. After a bit of a balls up that I made with efi parts (sorry Chris) I have the 100mm trigger wheel to go on, a new IAT sensor for the megasquirt loom.

Andy is doing this bit of the work for me as he is a wizard fabricator, and has done an awesome job modifying my exhaust.

All that's left to do now is change the starter motor (massive job with that ridiculous manifold) and weld the trigger wheel to the crank pulley and she should be ready to fire. I was that confident that she's gonna be ready for summer that I purchased my FCS ND ticket and am even debating some track time

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

Try jacking the os up, wheel off and sliding the starter out on top of the driveshaft

Post Thanks / Like

Haz you are a gentleman and a scholar

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a squeeze if you have the larger earlier gtt type. Take out the strut top bolts if you have lowered suspension to be able to pull it down for more room too.

Post Thanks / Like

This feels like a lifetime since I last drove her. Starting to loose the love :/

Anyways a little update.

It was a huge mess. But things are slowly dropping into place, trigger wheel is now sorted, coil pack mounted albeit it needs painting, new oil hose fitted with a new starter motor in place. Marks old inlet plenum is in place, wiring needs finishing and header tank moving and hopefully she'll slide through an mot.

Post Thanks / Like

Been there bud had all the wires and more. Stick with it take a breather regroup and attack I actually found making a list helped me so I didn't miss things.. Have you got a time scale?

Post Thanks / Like

No unfortunately I live 130 miles away from the car (don't ask) so the mates doing the loom for me. Hence I have no control over timings :/

Post Thanks / Like

After let down and let down. I finally made the investment and bought this

First thing was that got sent up to scoff and the loom was made. He did a fantastic job, was very helpful. A couple people including scoff sent me some maps to get me started, so thanks all, chris, james

the car was then delivered up to mikes, who has been an absolute star

Ive banged a set of saab reds in, have a bosch 044 to stick in place a little wiring to do and hopefully she'll run. After what has been a massive head ache, hopefully within a couple months she'll be back on the road.

Post Thanks / Like

It will all be worth it in the end..

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully this time mate. Has been a bloody headache so far.

Post Thanks / Like

If the mrs finds out how much I've spent on bits in the last 24 hours, then she's likely to bounce off the wall