Post Thanks / Like

EFIing a 5

back in december i bought a adaptronic e420 with a view to fitting EFI to my 5 and to see if cost could be kept to a minimum. my first manifold ( from the skoda) turned out that when fitted to the car would require a new downpipe to be made.
    following a quote for a new downpipe i bought a manifold from micheal t.
    after getting all the parts i needed together and some advice from the boards the instalation started.

first off was to cut a section from the back of the glovebox and to connect the ecu to the existing fuel pump relay socket along with a new 4 way fuse block and reley for the fuel pump.

next was to remove the old carb and inlet manifold and all other bits i would not now need and to fit the new manifold. along with the new fuel pipes and to thread all the wire i would need through the bulkhead and into the engine bay.

new fuel lines were brought up to the engine bay and the fuel pump changed over. injectors were then fitted and plumbed in.

after some soldering crimping connecting things back up the electrics were tested out and all was well. with the car ready for its first test. so that full sequential injection could be used a new sensor had to be fitted and set up on the old dizzy arm. after a lot of marking out and drilling /tapping holes all was ready.

the improvement over the carb is amazing and the increase in power worth the cost scraped fingers and fustrations that i have come across while carrying out the conversion. the car feels like new and still handels well with the extra power gained.

so now all is done i would like to thank the members on her who have helped out with parts and bits needed. others who have had a chat over there conversions and most of all chris at EFI parts
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by royz; 28-06-2013 at 19:55.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: EFIing a 5

Brilliant - glad you're happy with it - now get some vids and pictures up. Did Scoff map it? What did it make?
    #

Post Thanks / Like

for some reson im having problem uploding pics here but have some at http://www.flickr.com/photos/27833955@N05/

scoff did the mapping and helpful advise along the way. it made 170 @ 21psi but boost is now set to 18psi. as im happy with that for now. the turbo is a bit laggy due to what i have fitted so next on the list wil be a 285 cam. i know im doing things backwards but my turbo went on me last year and i got a offer i could not refuse.
    Last edited by royz; 28-06-2013 at 20:41.

Post Thanks / Like

Top darts, something I'm defiantly interested in doing myself

Post Thanks / Like

good job, whats the skoda manifold off?

Post Thanks / Like

Great stuff mate no more carb freeze or loads of crank starting for you anymore well done mate enjoy it you'll never look back

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Really good work there Roy, well done. What was the cost including mapping? Are you heading to ND?

Post Thanks / Like

gt phil its worth doingbest thing ive done to my 5

adey the skoda manifold was off a fabia 1.4 if i remember correctley. lot of work to make it fit drilling some new holes and grinding bits down but then the added work to sort out the exhaust. it also has slightley smaller bores.

phil still smiling now after the drive back. it felt like that first time you go out in a 5 all over again.

alex i have not added everthing up but proberly around £1200. i did all the instalation work myself a bit here and a bit there just took my time and kept checking things as i went along. hopefullt going to ND just need to sort out some things this week. ill be in touch about meeting up friday morning when you pass through.

Post Thanks / Like

Happy days mate glad u got it all sorted

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

£1200 is really good mate! Hopefully see you at ND in it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adey aka Ewok View Post
    good job, whats the skoda manifold off?
    1.4 MPi 8v - the old skoda engine