Post Thanks / Like

The Belgian Way of Motorway Driving

I've been thinking about this over the last few days, a few of us in the club have ventured over to Germany and with this it brings us to having to drive through Belgium to get there. Now over the years on every trip we always encounter the Belgians with their powers of persuasion in how they expect you to get the hell out the way on the motorway, flashing headlights within say 20-30 seconds of being right off your rear bumper. I used to think this was quite rude and arrogant BUT thinking about it, it makes sense. What i mean is especially in this country there are so many drivers who like the middle lane on 3 lane motorways or at least on sections of say the M25 with 4 lanes who like to scatter themselves all over the place

So, with this in mind over the last couple of days with motorway driving (M25- M11) and dual carriageway (A12) i thought i'd adopt some Belgian subtleties in my driving. So you're clearly behind a car doing (X)mph and is slower and is stopping me from going faster, they're maybe unaware they have a car behind them to which they should be checking their rear view mirror or they're being plain rude. So after sitting politely behind them for about a minute i decide to get closer, just to make them acknowledge the fact i am there and that they really should be pulling over. It works, they do move out the way, it's crazy that these people just sit on the outside lane for the sheer hell of it when there's no need to. It's my choice if i wish to go faster, i've had it where you're approaching a car much quicker than they are so i continue at my speed as thats what i wish to do right up until the point i'm close enough for them to realise i'm there. I don't want to be stuck behind these morons for minutes and minutes at a time, if they don't move within the minute then something has to happen.

I don't flash my lights like the Belgians do but to be fair i think its a good idea as it's politely (hopefully) saying look i'm going quicker than you can you pull over and let me be on my way people shouldnt have a problem with that. I know maybe the Belgians might have a different mindset to what us British do in the way of driving but it seems to work. Maybe people on here already do this, it's just these people who sit in the middle lane or the outside lane who feel the need to be completely oblivious to everything and everyone around them

Anway, is this a bad thing or a bad way to be? Too much time on my hands to be typing this

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Belgian Way of Motorway Driving

Lmao ricardo you must be smoking some good sh!t... lol

Post Thanks / Like

firstly you need to be aware of the issue that people have with being overtaken, and secondly if it's clear that someone is substantially over the limit somepeople don't move over as a sort of protest to the danger your putting others under by travelling at speed.

Personally i don't agree with either and instead to try and be a little more polite on the roads, for example move over for someone who is clearly going faster than me.

I agree with the flashing of the lights as this is "to warn others of your presence" tailgating however should be avoided as it appears aggressive and provokes a negative response.

So for me flash your lights as an acceptable distance and this will be fine. If they still don't move over because they haven't seen you then they want there eyes testing!! If they don't move over out of protest then unfortunately there isn't a lot you can do.

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GTphil View Post
    firstly you need to be aware of the issue that people have with being overtaken, and secondly if it's clear that someone is substantially over the limit somepeople don't move over as a sort of protest to the danger your putting others under by travelling at speed.

Personally i don't agree with either and instead to try and be a little more polite on the roads, for example move over for someone who is clearly going faster than me.

I agree with the flashing of the lights as this is "to warn others of your presence" tailgating however should be avoided as it appears aggressive and provokes a negative response.

So for me flash your lights as an acceptable distance and this will be fine. If they still don't move over because they haven't seen you then they want there eyes testing!! If they don't move over out of protest then unfortunately there isn't a lot you can do.
    Can tell what you do for a living...

I flash occasionally, and as I go past I simply put my hand up to say thanks , christen motoring and all that...

Also I move over to left as soon as safe to do so and make a point of it... Normally they follow suit

Post Thanks / Like

Phil, agreeing with your points, i will point out that i don't practically tailgate (bumpercar style) people into getting them to move out my way. I certainly don't drive beyond the british motorway speed limits..... I'm just interested in reading in what people have to say on the matter of maybe incompetent drivers. It's just sad that the british mentality is to feel threatened or taking threatening steps to justify their lack of driving awareness

Post Thanks / Like

I adapted this style years ago, close the gap and flash the main beam, hacky look when going past haha.

Non-member old skool turbo power's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

they also do the same in Greece mate,if you blasting up behind them flash them and they move outa the way,on main roads normally in the night time,dont know if that makes a difference haha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brigsy View Post
    I adapted this style years ago, close the gap and flash the main beam, hacky look when going past haha.

You know they're hacked when you see the bloke looking in the rear mirror view then seconds later the passenger turns the head round for a gawp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Phil, agreeing with your points, i will point out that i don't practically tailgate (bumpercar style) people into getting them to move out my way. I certainly don't drive beyond the british motorway speed limits..... I'm just interested in reading in what people have to say on the matter of maybe incompetent drivers. It's just sad that the british mentality is to feel threatened or taking threatening steps to justify their lack of driving awareness
    Fair points, other factors to the situation such as volume of traffic and weather conditions need to also be taken into consideration.

"only a fool breaks the two second rule"

As penfold says the natural driving position should be on the left, you should only be in the outer lanes if your travelling faster than the left lane or overtaking.

so that means you should be moving into the left at every viable opportunity (i.e you won't need to move back out within seconds due to a slower vehicle)

if everybody did this it would aid the flow of traffic overall

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GTphil View Post
    if everybody did this it would aid the flow of traffic overall
    Completely agree, it's such a shame that people when behind the wheel of a car almost seem to forget almost everything they've been taught. Drivers etiquette

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wait until you've got that turbo under the bonnet

Next you'll be posting up how you shouldn't have to stop at cross roads

Post Thanks / Like

Undertake them, and flick them the bird!

Post Thanks / Like

Perform that police fish tale thing on bods that won't move.
    Flashing lights and and trying to overtake on the central reservation is common place in Germany. I've always though as long as their over taking someone in the middle lane it's fine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Reed View Post
    Wait until you've got that turbo under the bonnet

Next you'll be posting up how you shouldn't have to stop at cross roads

Im almost, like almost in the frame for a turbo kit purchase

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not saying I drive agressively.

But if I were minister of transport my road policy would be based around "Death Race"

Post Thanks / Like

Im just interested to see others people opinions on the subject

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveL485 View Post
    I'm not saying I drive agressively.

But if I were minister of transport my road policy would be based around "Death Race"
    even more so for the arses on the m61 at 5 in the morning doing 50 in the middle lane just wish is was legal to knock em off the road or at least into the right lane.

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

they used to tell you off for driving in the middle lane, but I think the coppers can now give you fines..............you know what that means...

FREE MONEY

I expect to see the old bill tugging more middle lane drivers in the future..

Post Thanks / Like

I used to do it on the M4 driving home from Dawn's on Sunday evenings. I wasn't a bully in my actions, I just didn't like people sitting in the outside lane when they're not using it for overtaking when that's exactly what I was trying to do. I don't do it anymore because Dawn moved to London.

Post Thanks / Like

The rules are pretty good. If people followed them this conversation wouldn't exist.

I'd like to see some sort of new rules around lorries in the middle lane busting their balls to overtake other lorries that are on the inside lane and who're averaging 1.5mph less. I think this is the cause of a huge % of congestion, especially at busy times and on carriageways that only have 2 lanes.

I'd introduce a lane restriction that is based on the individual stretch of road and the time of day, where at certain times and in certain places, lorries are only allowed on the inside lane. They are all doing/restricted to around 55mph, give or take a couple of mph.
    Last edited by Trevhib; 26-06-2013 at 10:21.

Post Thanks / Like

The a1m has restrictions for trucks in place already trev, they cant use the outside lane in peak hours. Agreed they should put this in place everywhere that would speed up journeys no end.

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

There's nothing more annoying for me when I'm driving than middle/outside lane coffin dodgers - GET OUT OF MY SODDING WAY FFS! Lorries attempting to overtake eachother are nearly as bad.

I don't think flashing your lights at them is wise, I'd be concerrned about them looking in their mirrors wondering why they're being flashed at only to lose control. It also comes across as agressive. I tend to approach them slowly, then, if they don't move out of my way get a little closer. If they still don't move I undertake then but only when the inside lane is clear (incase they then decide to move over and I have to take evasive!) I don't recommend this way mind......

Post Thanks / Like

Surprised no-ones said it yet so ill throw it in........... get behind and go ttsssshhhhhhhhhhhhhh they nearly all move DV FTW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by royz View Post
    even more so for the arses on the m61 at 5 in the morning doing 50 in the middle lane
    It can be 2-3 in the morning, quiet out on the motorways and there will still be a numpty sitting in the middle lane

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

tail gate and flash me and I'll slam the anchors on yer ass fool

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brigsy View Post
    The a1m has restrictions for trucks in place already trev, they cant use the outside lane in peak hours. Agreed they should put this in place everywhere that would speed up journeys no end.
    Cool, I didn't realise that. Ai, they need to roll that out in all the hot spots.

Post Thanks / Like

With two young kids in the car. im in the first lane doing 75 nowadays.

Post Thanks / Like

u will notice this road then from spa to nurburg...and yeah the Belgian way is best
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faHRUoFhsxU

Post Thanks / Like

When I was learning to drive I was taught to always move into left lane when possible. I don't always adopt that but I definately wouldn't like someone sitting up my arse flashing me while I was driving lolololol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by safehands View Post
    When I was learning to drive I was taught to always move into left lane when possible. I don't always adopt that but I definately wouldn't like someone sitting up my arse flashing me while I was driving lolololol
    Simple, move out the way, you're then going out your way to obstruct someone if there's nothing in front you.

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember listening about this on the radio and one woman rung up saying that she didn't pull over because of the amount of people undertaking her and didn't think it was safe to pull over if people can undertake you maybe there was enough space to pull over then in first place.

Then again I don't mind all the people on the outside two lanes driving along, means the inside lane is free apart from the odd lorry. They say you only need to go into those two lanes for overtaking, well if there are no cars in front of me why do I need to go in the other two lanes.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree totally that if the left lanes are free, folk should move over, that's the rules and in not doing so (when possible), you're breaking them, even if travelling at 70mph.

I think the thing with 'it's my choice to go faster than the speed limit' though, is that's it's not just you you're endangering, it's other people and that's a responsibility that you should not be taking on. Sounds lame but no matter how you frame it, the logic is faultless