Post Thanks / Like

turbo boffins needed!!!

i have a gt2860 on my b18ft and it seems to be burning a bit of oil and i have oil in the turbo inlet and i have a bit of oil staining where the turbo meets the exh mani and downpipe due to lack of gaskets(i have gaskets to go in). I have checked the cylinder comps and there all over 150psi. There is no breather pipework and there is just a cone filter on turbo inlet.
    theres next to no play in the comp wheel and it boosts well.I dont get any smoke on idle, i dont know if it smokes when being boosted but it does smell of burning oil.
    I dont have oil restrictor in the turbo oil feed as when i did it didnt want to boost, could this be my problem that too much oil is going through the turbo? do i need a restrictor maybe with a bigger hole?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: turbo boffins needed!!!

I have a restrictor that stopped it boosting last time that has a 1mm hole I'm thinking of drilling this out a bit. What's the minimum size hole I will need to get enough oil to the turbo?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

you need to have a breather in place on the engine , either catch tank or revert to o.e set up if you can,

if your turbo is roller bearing type then you need the restrictor in place as they are not so oil dependant as the journal type, and going to big or not having any restrictor, will put to much pressure on the seals, which will then blow past them. and cause you problems.

that said I drilled mine out to 1.5mm

Post Thanks / Like

The breather pot is just venting, I will drill spare restrictor to 1.5mm and try that then just go up in small incriments if it dosent boost properly I guess. Cheers fella.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see why it would not boost properly with the correct restricted
    In place sounds odd, how big is the oil return on the turbo? Are there any kinks in it or under 90 degree bends in it?

Post Thanks / Like

Oil return is standard b18ft banjo's think 16mm. No kinks in return or feed. I thought it was weird but that was all I swapped over and I had no boost so I pulled over and put the old one back on and the boost came back, with a warm engine also
    1mm seems like a tiny hole to get oil through Im using 10/50w if I remember correctly maybe too thick for 1mm hole?

Post Thanks / Like

Restrictor should be 0,9 for ball bearing cores and 1,5 for thrust bearing cores.

Shouldn't have anything to do with boosting or not. Maybe you've hit or turned something else when fitting the other restrictor...

A ballbearing turbo will even boost without oil, how long is the question though..

Post Thanks / Like

This was a while ago before the megasquirt went on. That was the only thing I touched and as soon as I swapped it back I had the boost back so I'm sure it was due the turbo not getting oil. But I agree with you a bb turbo should be able to run dry as ball bearings don't normally have oil going to them.

Post Thanks / Like

At the moment it is just an adaptor going to turbo something like a 3mm hole in it il try this 1mm one and see if it does it again.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

my comments were only aimed at the oil side of things, and not the boosting issue

I would pull the turbo off and have a look for any faults with the turbo. ie cracks in the turbine housing around the waste gate , play in and out , and up/down /left /right motion , this may indicate housing/ wheels catching maybe.

have you pressure tested your boost system?

you could also have a massive boost leak somewhere, and the turbo is screaming its nuts of trying to compensate? and not getting the compressed air into the engine.
    dumpvalves, turbo/manifold flanges are all likely places, is your actuator working correctly,

I ran my turbo with a 3mm restrictor in it a while back, and showed no difference in spool or oil pressure drop, can you spin the wheel freely by hand? maybe the bearings cartridge system has failed, you never did confirm if its roller or journal bearing ?
    Last edited by HAndy; 14-06-2013 at 17:23.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry there is some confusion as I don't explain things well
    At the moment there are no boosting issues I get full boost by 4k as allways. The only problem there is is that it is burning oil and I have oil in the inlet.
    I was thinking this could be due to not having the correct size restrictor, but when I put the correct size restrictor in a year or so ago I lost all boost until I put the old adaptor back in the boost came straight back
    I was sold it as a gt2860 but all I can find on it is
    Tl1196j
    14411-54(3 numbers missing due to damaged plate)
    465997-1
    Is there anything I can look for to tell the difference between roller and journal bearings? I know the core's look different but I don't know what I'm looking for

Post Thanks / Like

The question is how much oil pressure does the b18 make??

I use a rb unit with no restrictor - 50-55lb oil pressure at the turbo with no probs.

First things first, check the breather system for blockages and restrictions

Secondly check your oil return to sump is decent and flows well, no kinks or pipes going up.

From what you have said, i would say your turbo probably needs a rebuild. When oil comes out the housings it is a faulty rear seal.

As for the boosting issue, no idea. If it has been starved of oil it has probably caused wear.

Roller bearing will spin totally different compared to a journal bearing.

Post Thanks / Like

I will check all of these things tomorrow when I take it off. I really hope it dosnt need a rebuild otherwise it'll be going in the bin. I know it makes 40psi oil pressure at 2k I have seen it go to 60psi but I'm not watching that at those revs

Post Thanks / Like

I have fitted the gaskets and put the oil restrictor in and I'm going to test it when I get the chance but got family probs at the mo so this is as far as I got.
    Anyway took somp pix of the blower hoping that someone can defo say its rollerbearing or not.
    Just to add checked the wheels with the turbo off there is no play in and out but there is side to side play but the turbo was dry.

Post Thanks / Like

That is a journal bearing turbo by the looks of it mate. Rb units have 6 bolts holding the exhaust housing on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brigsy View Post
    That is a journal bearing turbo by the looks of it mate. Rb units have 6 bolts holding the exhaust housing on.
    Don't say that

Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone double confirm this before I drill out the restrictor?

Post Thanks / Like

My Roller Bearing turbo on Bonnie has 6-bolt rear housing, think Brigsy is right mate

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely right...

This is deffo not a gt2860

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tutuur View Post
    Absolutely right...

This is deffo not a gt2860
    Can a gt2860 not be either journal or ball bearing then?

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers anyway guys, Il drill this restrictor to 1.5mm and see if it makes any difference.

Post Thanks / Like

No, that's the 2560. It's the sylvia t28 turbocharger which is ball bearinged on the newer s15 silvia's.

Post Thanks / Like

Now I'm confused as it has a .86 rear and a 60front or does that mean nothing?

Post Thanks / Like

It means that the one you have is a Pulsar gtir turbocharger..

Post Thanks / Like

I thought they had a different bolt pattern on the inlet of the compressor side and there fore would not just bolt straight on.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats a journal bearing, and by putting the restrictor in I think you'll have mullered it's bearings and/or seals. I wouldn't run any restrictor at all with a journal bearing turbo. 1mm / 0.9mm with a GTxxxxR.

Post Thanks / Like

So I can't damage the seals by forceing too much oil through the turbo?
    Either way I have a journal bearing turbo when I bought a ballbearing turbo I'm still not sure if the turbo is to blame but I'm loosing oil somewhere I have a tiny bit of oil in the boost pipe and inlet and on number 2 and 3 cyl bit of oil on the plugs.
    No oil leaks from the engine I have no drips on the drive etc...

Post Thanks / Like

Well this turned up today and I'm more than happy with it just a shame I've had to go through some **** tofinally get a rollerbearing.

Needs rotating and my pipe run to be altered slightly, main prob is this the compact 5bolt pattern so is different to mine but nothing that the welder wont sort out

Post Thanks / Like

I'm guessing I can't swap a .64 journal bearing turbine housing with the .64 on the rollerbearing?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

First post!

This probably isn't relevant now that it's been established your turbo isn't a GT2860RS. However, the GT series turbos have a restrictor built in. It a small piece which also serves as a retaining pin for the ball bearing cartridge.

It's basically this:
    http://us1.webpublications.com.au/st...111628_6lo.jpg

This is fitted inside the hole where you'd attach your oil feed hose. The oil feed adapter screws in right above it.

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers for the info and welcome to the club. The new turbo came with a .9mm feed adaptor so I may just use that or I have a 1.5mm one I could also use suppose it dosnt matter if the turbo has its own one built in anyway

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

I skimmed through the thread and missed the part where you have acquired the new BB turbo

I'm pretty sure all Garrett BB units use the same ball bearing cartridge assembly, which requires pinning so that it's orientated correctly. If you look into the oil feed hole you should see what looks like a small, round domed screw head with a hole in it. This would be your restrictor. Screwing in an adapter above this which has a restrictor shouldn't cause any problems though.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok didn't realise that was the restrictor just thought that was a conical type seal for the feed adaptor to go to. You learn something new everyday