Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

BMW 330D - Power loss

Well, I thought bimmerforums website was good, until I started getting stupid responses about a problem I have.

Well I picked up a E46 330D and was driving home fine, then came to putting some power down just to pass a car and then it sort of died at just over 5k revs, not that it run out of puff it just sort of hesitation as if the fueling wasn't set up right. Then next day car drove fine, went home from work and if I try and put my foot down its as if the its flooding itself, but drive normal its ok until 3k where it just stops again.

Bimmerforums responses were, well its a diesel it does run out of power. So hopefully somebody on here might have had some experience or maybe with another car. I have read it could be down to the MAF sensor playing up, maybe needs a clean, I haven't had a chance to put some diagnostic equipment on yet but hopefully next couple of days I will which might give a better idea but thought if some people have any ideas so can take a look beforehand.

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Re: BMW 330D - Power loss

Egr fault? Get it on the diagnostic. I would also change derv & air filter if it hasn't been done recently.

Over 5k rpm in a derv? Sounds ambitious ha

Post Thanks / Like

400 miles ago had the full inspection 2 at BMW. So I am hoping that sort of thing has changed. Yeah the 5k came up very quickly when I was trying to pass a car

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

A chap was talking to me about turbo diesels when he spotted my astra van, he said he's pull a pipe off and it would remove the flat spots in the rev range...

I thought what a cnut.. Pull a pipe off and add horsepower etc, heard it all before...

It worked read up on it and the old egr set ups are a nightmare for raping power and many owners bypass it all..

Post Thanks / Like

On my Saab 93 1.9tid I recently cleaned the EGR valve and it was sticking causing the car to drive really sluggish off boost. It also made it really laggy to. Ok things to check are egr valves as they are a nightmare on diesels MAFs can play up to or swirl flaps I had never heard of swirl flaps till recently but they can affect the car loads here have a read

http://www.bmwforums.info/general-gu...irl-flaps.html

To me it sounds more like the swirl flaps could be stuck closed its worth a check but let's hope not as its silly money to put right as its a new inlet manifold I believe

Post Thanks / Like

Alot of tuneing companys do egr valve bypass kits. we where forever doin egr valves at my old place and blocked particulate filters there all just a nightmare

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    Alot of tuneing companys do egr valve bypass kits. we where forever doin egr valves at my old place and blocked particulate filters there all just a nightmare
    Egr valves are the devil. Blank it off. Common rail diesel systems are

My connect tdci has had 2 fuel pumps and 2 sets of injectors. I'm toying with putting a RS lump in it as a toy now

Post Thanks / Like

I had read about the swirl flaps which could explain sometimes it works fine like this afternoon. Diagnostic should pic up about maf and egr I would have thought. Will read up about that Dave. Looking at getting it mapped anyway so will chat about that once found this problem out

Post Thanks / Like

was the car owned by a woman or an old man before?

if the car has a VNT turbo, then i bet the vanes are getting coked up, and the car is going into limp home mode as the turbo overboosts?

Post Thanks / Like

Was owned by a elderly couple all it's life. Guessing strip and clean the turbo up if that's the case

Post Thanks / Like

My old 320D on a 53 plate suffered the dreaded swirl flap issue. The engine felt like it had a lung out and would not idle, initially suspected an injector and did the carbon deposit cleaners. When I finally investigated 3 flaps had been eaten by the engine.

If the car is lumpy and when you rev it up it sort of chugs and builds up unevenly then it's possibly the swirl flaps. You will need to check the 330D suffers the same as the 320d e46 up to 2004. Manifolds were modified from that year without flaps but was never a recall. I had to scrap mine for £900 basically parts.

Post Thanks / Like

The flaps would have this issue all the time and idles fine and drives fine if I don't try and accelerate hard. Will look at carbon deposit cleaners.

Post Thanks / Like

revive is the one GSF sell, but reading the blurb on it, i'm not 100% convinced how spraying liquid through the engine is going to remove carbon deposits in the turbo.....

Post Thanks / Like

We have this

http://www.wynns.uk.com/Product.aspx...GRP_PRO_DIESEL

Might give that a go as well as some injector cleaner

Post Thanks / Like

Thought I would just like to add the responses of the BMW site on to this thread to answering the same question.

1. 5.5k revs is (or very near) the redline. you dont wana be driving a diesel car past 4k. - granted I did add 1k onto the revs as this is the first diesel I am owned.
    2. What you need to remember is diesel are excellent low end torque after 3.5-4k rpm diesel looses it's umph and feels like it's hit a brick wall.
    3. you had no power above 4.5k? is it the earlier 184bhp 330d? the limiter starts to kick about there, they wont rev into the red at all. petrol limiters kick in at an exact rpm, diesels kick in more gradually.
    4. You asked the question and it got answered, whether you like the answers or not is your problem. Diesels do lose power at the top end, its how they work.
    Even at my work place they come up with the same sort of issues which was posted on this forum, even telling me to remove the swirl flaps from the manifold.

You just cant fault this forum of getting sensible and correct answers, do wonder why I join any other forum to try and get help about other cars.
    Last edited by Bigfoot; 23-05-2013 at 09:48.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wynns injector cleaner might feck your injectors if they're are over fuelling. I used it and 30 miles later it gave up

Post Thanks / Like

I dont think i would want to join that forum looking at thoses answears

Post Thanks / Like

I dont think i would want to join that forum looking at thoses answears
    exactely my thought, they kept going on about rev limiters and how diesels drive. Maybe I should have introduced myself to actually know how engines work and how to work on cars and not go to local BMW dealership and pay them out a small fortune.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
    exactely my thought, they kept going on about rev limiters and how diesels drive. Maybe I should have introduced myself to actually know how engines work and how to work on cars and not go to local BMW dealership and pay them out a small fortune.
    I think you have hit the nail on the head on here most of the people do the work on there cars themselves with help from there freinds

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you have hit the nail on the head on here most of the people do the work on there cars themselves with help from there freinds
    Sound like they all sniff their dads pants to me.

Post Thanks / Like

As mentioned- egr's are common as muck... either a delete mod or get the egr ultrasonicly cleaned and it'd be good as new!...my closest friend works for this company

http://www.cpcpe.com/page1.html

give them a call tuesday if your still stuck and ask for phil (the boss) mention you know me (nugget) and explain your symptoms and he'll 99% point you in the right direction.

Forgot to mention...they've just purchased a 16k ultrasonic washer for not only cleaning various parts but also when they mostly rebuild m engines

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
    Sound like they all sniff their dads pants to me.
    not a condescending bunch at all then

Don't rev it past 4k or you might break it

Post Thanks / Like

Right still have been driving around like it but seems to be getting worse.

Got some diagnostics on whilst running and came with the following errors.

P0480 - Cooling fan Circuit
    P3505 - Glow System
    P1260 - Delivery fuel Pressure
    P09F6 - Rail pressure control during cranking

The P1260 looks like it points to the under passenger foot well pump which I have now got a replacement and swap over either tomorrow night or Saturday to see what happens, will test first by seeing what kind of pressure is coming out of there first.

Post Thanks / Like

Not read the thread sorry, but has it got the swirl flaps?

I've had new manifolds on my 5 series and turbos

Flaps are a pita

Post Thanks / Like

New fuel pump under passenger footwell and goes like a dream

Post Thanks / Like

If it's pre 2002 or 3 ? then you really need to get those flaps out or fit the better ones BMW supply (although they don't admit they were a problem ), they love to end up in the engine My brothers old car did it & cost him an engine & turbo...

Post Thanks / Like

Read up more on this, this version didn't come with the swirl flaps, automatics did this year and so did the 6 speed versions. Going to clean up the egr valve as these clog up loads on this. Booked in for a re-map on the 17th this month. Then sort out the few rust spots before they get anywhere like you see with this model then maybe change few things like intercooler and de-cat it.

Post Thanks / Like

On my Audi derv burner I was able to get me muscle into the back end of the vnt through the egr port, left it in 2 hours and fitted a egr delete a d smashed out the cat, ran sweet afterwards used to go flat at about 3200rpm. Slapped a map on goes well now, just remember to drive the tits off at least once a week to clear its throat