Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thinking of giving up

Been a decade of fun, and a rather extensive rebuild of a shell/5 and the engine still out the car but built, all brand new....

I have other things I want to do, I know I'd loose thousands but what's somthing like mine worth?

Surely in bits it's more? I'm not sure if my restoration threads still there?

What's people thoughts? It hasn't moved in 3 years and I have zero motivation.

But for those close or that followed my build you know my 5 is clean.

Confused.com right now

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thinking of giving up

your gonna get a slap if you give up

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by THE MASTER View Post
    your gonna get a slap if you give up

Post Thanks / Like

A Colin slap... That's hard to, it's a Tyson.

I don't have enthusiasm I can't even think about it, I've had untold help from Andy M, who'm I'm in debted to for ever! But I'm feeling somthing with less wheels

Post Thanks / Like

Whack it back together and use it for summer, a running 5 will be worth more and easier to sell if you really want to sell up.

South West Regional Rep jesus in the seat of a 5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

for a man so good at darts and such a fine beard, youre a whimp .

you can get a "born to be wild" moment anytime... as for the gtt... not quite..

Just get a good old jerp meet going and get it finished, then once you've recoverd from the opp , get out in the ole girl.... youll know then why you kept it....

Post Thanks / Like

Phone yourself up & have a word. Get ya ass to the Sangliers event & you'll soon change your mind about selling up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    Phone yourself up & have a word. Get ya ass to the Sangliers event & you'll soon change your mind about selling up.
    Spinal fusion on Tuesday otherwise I'd be there... I'll be 4 months late lol

Post Thanks / Like

John stop being a wimp shoulda come outside at the meet and seen a few 5's go down the strip that woulda got the juices flowing again

Post Thanks / Like

Here's an idea... Me and a few boys could pop round one weekend and put it all back together and get it going.

Then once your back is sorted, you can take it for a drive and you'll change your mind!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JRP View Post
    Spinal fusion on Tuesday otherwise I'd be there... I'll be 4 months late lol
    Get yourself all fixed & feeling better, then decide about the car. Health comes first & all that

South West Regional Rep jesus in the seat of a 5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Just get a good old jerp meet going and get it finished, then once you've recoverd from the opp , get out in the ole girl.... youll know then why you kept it....[/quote]

think im turning into mart....

Post Thanks / Like

Put a cover over it. Come back when the enthusiasm has returned.

Post Thanks / Like

markey mark is going through the same thing i think if you got help to finish it, you would deffo feel better, if you stil feel the same after then get rid mate, youve always got the darts lol, chin up everyone including mike loses the enthusium all the time boss

Post Thanks / Like

Stop being gay John and just pull your finger out I know your backs bad but the amount of time you've been off you should of just tinkered with a few little bits to get your motivation back it will never come back just thinking about it I am more than happy to help out getting it back on the road just so I can laugh at how slow you drive it seriously though John 3-4 evenings max would have it ready for an mot just let me know mate and ill be there don't give up on something you haven't really even tried

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R5MJH View Post
    markey mark is going through the same thing i think if you got help to finish it, you would deffo feel better, if you stil feel the same after then get rid mate, youve always got the darts lol, chin up everyone including mike loses the enthusium all the time boss
    I struggled to the final last night and lost that! Errrgh enough of everything... Get Tuesday out the way and re assess.

I'll be at the fete

Post Thanks / Like

Might go Mega O.E Looks wise so might bin all my cup wheels etc and refurb standard wheels.

I'll accept any help although i can offer only bacon rols (or veggie variant) and tea in massive amounts.

Id like to have the old days feeling of meets at my garage again, think thats missing some what

Post Thanks / Like

Might be the drugs, but I might sell everything and just build the garden railway I've always wanted

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Might be the drugs, but I might sell everything and just build the garden railway I've always wanted
    It's not a bad dream is it....

I know where ur coming from Jon, prefer my home life ATM, you cars that don't get used dont appeal anymore....

But reckon you must be 100% sure before selling ur car... As you would never get one like that again.... (Am happy to store it in a barn for 6 months and then u can decide whether or not to let it go)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Penfold aka The Dealer View Post
    It's not a bad dream is it....

I know where ur coming from Jon, prefer my home life ATM, you cars that don't get used dont appeal anymore....

But reckon you must be 100% sure before selling ur car... As you would never get one like that again.... (Am happy to store it in a barn for 6 months and then u can decide whether or not to let it go)
    Money from it would be peanuts compared to the input,

But a nice garden railway shed, pipe, slippers basically Fred dibnah

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly mate, never get the money back from these cars, just nice to know you did the project, got it to where you wanted it....

I wouldn't be in a rush to sell it if I was you... But if you have made your mind up... Good luck with the sale )

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Put it this way, I've ruint my life at 26, my backs FUBAR so I will need revision surgery in 20 maybe 15 years. I need an easy hobby. I can't physically do/ Finnish my rebuild. To get it running.

I've always seen poor health as reason of sale and thought yeah ok, but I'm in reality not 19 anymore I'm nearly 27 but have back of a 65/70 year old

Post Thanks / Like

Store it up for 6months or a year... And then decide....

Post Thanks / Like

Fancy a swap??? Its non-turbo but you can get a supercharger for it (if you want to melt your piston and sleave!)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andybond View Post
    Put a cover over it. Come back when the enthusiasm has returned.

plus one..
    just find the enthusiasm within 6months though

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

If you wont pay someone to finish it, sell it.

No point killing yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

Just sell the lot

Post Thanks / Like

My 11 month old baby has a few toy trains and they float so you can use them in the bath.
    I'm sure as he gets older he may want a turbo car so I'm going to offer a swap.
    His rubber trains for your Renault 5.
    Pm me for more details.

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Romil Davda View Post
    Fancy a swap??? Its non-turbo but you can get a supercharger for it (if you want to melt your piston and sleave!)
    Dont think I would want to put a supercharger kit on mine, they are quick enough as it is, fusion 21 keep meaning to sort them out, need a few parts but too busy sorting out loads of other things.

Keep the 5, you will regret selling it like most people who find on this site who keep coming back

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Jerp's matey what's left to do on it to get it back together??

Post Thanks / Like

Romil bring them to the meet, il bring my Kani 2/3 cause some carnage on the 217 if that dosn't sort john out I don't know what will

Post Thanks / Like

if you have something that is suposed to be fun and has become an headache follow my advice, get rid of it so you can concentrate on something else. you can always buy one in running condition if you miss it that much.

cheers

Post Thanks / Like

another way to look at it when did you loose love or the car? was it just a realization or has it grown? when did it all start, maybe its just like having jennifer lawrence as a horny wife but your a unich so over time you hate her for it? i'll fly over and help out if its needed!

Post Thanks / Like

I still love my 5, but I dunno I'm still in hospital, wounds infected an leaking recovery slow stitches popping. All the drugs. All the pain.. I worry I can't deal with the 5 like I used to.

I dunno if I need an easier new direction

Post Thanks / Like

bull, yeah its hardship at times but there is a support network of people around you, and i'm fully sure once you keep the crispy bacon sangwitchs flying people will be there to help

i'm juggling 2 jobs and 2 project cars of my own and 2 others, owning cars is always going to be a bother, but alot less than a woman,

i do get that your worried you wont be able to look after it, but do you honstly know where you'll be with your back in 6 months or a year,

Post Thanks / Like

Easier said than done, but forget about the 5 for a bit I reckon. Focus on getting better and she'll be waiting for you, either way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Walker View Post

Post Thanks / Like

Put the 5 to the back of your mind - pick up an axe and mellow those blue's away chap. Now's not the time for serious deliberation when it comes to the 5.

Here my Zen.

3 string 4 string 6 string, whatever, pick it up and go away with it. Now's a good time for that.

Post Thanks / Like

I still love my 5, but I dunno I'm still in hospital, wounds infected an leaking recovery slow stitches popping. All the drugs. All the pain.. I worry I can't deal with the 5 like I used to.

I dunno if I need an easier new direction
    I would say if money isn't tight (or an issue) and you can still keep the 5 somewhere it would be better to wait until your other worries are better before you make a decision.

It would be easy to get rid of the 5, probably a lot harder to find another one that has been cared for. I know for me, if I were to sell up I am sure I would regret it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TNT ANDY View Post
    Put the 5 to the back of your mind - pick up an axe and mellow those blue's away chap. Now's not the time for serious deliberation when it comes to the 5.

Here my Zen.

3 string 4 string 6 string, whatever, pick it up and go away with it. Now's a good time for that.
    My 1 strings at home, my. 3 string cigar box guitar is at home. The 6 strings at home and the ukalaly is at home! Imagine the hospital with me jamming 3 string blues and my Mississippi beat box

Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking 'sea sick Steve' that would certainly brighten more than just your day up.

Get it done.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

just cause ya look like an old man dont mean that you are. get yourself back home with the boys and the mrs and see how you progress after all you are gona have to be running around with them at some stage

just forget about the little five mate. it aint going no where.come back to it fresh next year.

Post Thanks / Like

i know what you are going through at the moment is horrible, what with the pain and the fact that your stuck in hospital and not at home with the family. now is the time to concentrate on getting better and not thinking about what to do with your 5. you have more support from friends on here than you think,so when the time comes to make a discussion on getting it back together with help from us lot or selling it (selling it is the wrong choice you WILL regret it later on) you have our support.
    ps Sandra said get well soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rat1 View Post
    i know what you are going through at the moment is horrible, what with the pain and the fact that your stuck in hospital and not at home with the family. now is the time to concentrate on getting better and not thinking about what to do with your 5. you have more support from friends on here than you think,so when the time comes to make a discussion on getting it back together with help from us lot or selling it (selling it is the wrong choice you WILL regret it later on) you have our support.
    ps Sandra said get well soon.
    I love you ray! Sensible response thank you for the kind words, been a long time since I've seen Sandra too, hope all is well.

your right ray cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SCHWARTZ View Post
    Romil bring them to the meet, il bring my Kani 2/3 cause some carnage on the 217 if that dosn't sort john out I don't know what will
    I'll bring my 21 XTR-3e that thing flys... usually for about 20 mins if I'm lucky, then I usually break things .. rear wishbones at the mo after a nice roll, must fix it

Post Thanks / Like

Don't give up on it, you have many of your mates offering help I would take them up on it, I know it's **** being in hospital but the thought of a finished five must give you a light at the end of the tunnel. Once finished it would only be minimal maintenance .

Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking of selling all the high end parts that have never been used!! All new,

Head
    Pistons forged wossener
    Rods forged
    Liners pc
    All internals lightens and balanced
    New cam 285
    Vernier adjustable
    New never used (drugs doing memory in) the little bullet barrel things the push rods sit in.

And just get a standard low miles engine and drop it in.

Reason being I'm wanting a total o.e 5 in my heart that's where it's at.

So also inter cooler and piping all sorts to shift.

That's I think my plan so a couple grands worth of gear to shift and keep it and be OE brigade!

Dads just been in and wanted to hit me when I said sell it, after all I put in and many others put into it.

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking of selling all the high end parts that have never been used!! All new,

Head
    Pistons forged wossener
    Rods forged
    Liners pc
    All internals lightens and balanced
    New cam 285
    Vernier adjustable
    New never used (drugs doing memory in) the little bullet barrel things the push rods sit in.

And just get a standard low miles engine and drop it in.

Reason being I'm wanting a total o.e 5 in my heart that's where it's at.

So also inter cooler and piping all sorts to shift.

That's I think my plan so a couple grands worth of gear to shift and keep it and be OE brigade!

Dads just been in and wanted to hit me when I said sell it, after all I put in and many others put into it.
    Your Dad's right hope he slaped you when you said it. Those bit's should sell quick

Jon I have a std block you can have FOC needs crank re-grind though and a camshaft.

When I can get up I will help out matey

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post
    Those bit's should sell quick

How much for the cam?

Glad you've seen sense mate.