Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2013 Speed Season

That set up should certainly stop you....so you have the 285mm discs?

I went to Hi spec as not far from me, They told me he could fit a 285mm disc and caliper inside the standard 13" wheel........

I'm running 260mm discs with Wilwood 4 pots and Ferodo DS2500 pads.
    Transformed my car.
    Like you, going into slow corners I was hanging on hoping it would slow down enough for the turn with my old pretty standard set up, not good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RussellT View Post
    Hi Spec Billet 4
    I know that they can work really well, however things I have found out that you really need to know up front are;
    1. You have to change the master cylinder for a bigger one.
    2. The pads they sell you stick in the calipers and have to be filed down to fit.
    3. If because of 1 or 2 above the pads arnt moving freely the pistons seize up.
    4. Be prepared to send the calipers off for an overhaul at intervals.
    When I had Hi Specs a few years ago using Ebc pads, I used a normal sized master cylinder and they worked very well at Mallory park, pads didnt need modifying either.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to file down pads quite often before fitting. even with a really clean calliper carrier sometimes there tight

Post Thanks / Like

A short clip of my last run. Not my best strugling to slow down I miss the apex atthe hairpin then take my eye off the ball heading forthe finish.

The 1st car was my only competition on the day

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=WRhOZlz6yUk

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Spec Billet 4
    I know that they can work really well, however things I have found out that you really need to know up front are;
    1. You have to change the master cylinder for a bigger one.
    2. The pads they sell you stick in the calipers and have to be filed down to fit.
    3. If because of 1 or 2 above the pads arnt moving freely the pistons seize up.
    4. Be prepared to send the calipers off for an overhaul at intervals.
    I have these too, will bear that in mind. Already discovered the pads need the paint trimming off the outer edges

Post Thanks / Like

Epic weekend of 2 hi quality events. Aintree on sat then 3 Sisters yesterday. Despite the ongoing issues of the engine switching itself off and apalling brakes I managed 2 PBs. The AD08 tyres making all the difference.

That was the good news the bad news was that the competition was so hot that I came 4th at Aintree (Tony Hart of Prima racing was 3rd) and 3rd at 3 Sisters just 0.2 sec behind Fred Curell the reigning Midland speed champion.

My engine cut out 3 times at Aintree and just twice at 3 Sisters.

She is back with the pit crew this morning something very odd with the brakes as they can go from reasonable to so poor I cant even lock the wheels in the wet. My theory is that there is some sh1t in the system somewhere blocking the flow of fluid.

I need it sorting for the Nat Day.

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done Russell. The ramdom cutting out must be an annoyance to say the least, electrial I presume? I wonder if the brake issue is related to a failing one-way valve? Does the pedal go really hard when they fail? or straight to the floor?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Epic weekend of 2 hi quality events. Aintree on sat then 3 Sisters yesterday. Despite the ongoing issues of the engine switching itself off and apalling brakes I managed 2 PBs. The AD08 tyres making all the difference.

That was the good news the bad news was that the competition was so hot that I came 4th at Aintree (Tony Hart of Prima racing was 3rd) and 3rd at 3 Sisters just 0.2 sec behind Fred Curell the reigning Midland speed champion.

My engine cut out 3 times at Aintree and just twice at 3 Sisters.

She is back with the pit crew this morning something very odd with the brakes as they can go from reasonable to so poor I cant even lock the wheels in the wet. My theory is that there is some sh1t in the system somewhere blocking the flow of fluid.

I need it sorting for the Nat Day.
    The brake flexi's on the Fuego broke down internally to the point where there was no fluid coming through at all, but I assume yours are reasonably new not a million years old like mine were.

What pads are you using? I had real issues with EBC Green Stuff, once they had a beating from new last ND, it wouldnt even lock a wheel in the wet. Went for reds after that, much better.

Post Thanks / Like

Glazed pads could be an issue. Change the cheap and easy stuff first eh

Post Thanks / Like

Capacitor fitted to the coil http://twitter.com/turborussell/stat...330368/photo/1

master cylinder changed by the pit crew and apparently they are working much better now.

fingers crossed

Post Thanks / Like

I'm typing this post at Doncaster North services waiting for the AA to recover me back to Blackpool after my clutch cable snapped in the start line for the last run. Up to then I had been having a titanic struggle with Mr Russell Herring in his Clio cup (mapped by Scoff) . Despite my dodgy brakes (horror story to come) I managed to beat him on Sat with a time of 76.98 around Blyton. I came 3rd just 0.4 sec behind Dave West. Today I was leading Russ with a 76.49 until his final run 76.24 with me stranded in the paddock. So 1 each over the 2 days. Now the horror story. My pit crew tool one of my calipers apart and found a piece of metal lodged in the transfer tube. They reckon it wasn't drilled through properly. I have sent the photo of the piece of metal to hi spec. Good news was with my capacitor fitted I have done ND and 2 events without a single cut out on the track

South West Regional Rep jesus in the seat of a 5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm typing this post at Doncaster North services waiting for the AA to recover me back to Blackpool after my clutch cable snapped in the start line for the last run. Up to then I had been having a titanic struggle with Mr Russell Herring in his Clio cup (mapped by Scoff) . Despite my dodgy brakes (horror story to come) I managed to beat him on Sat with a time of 76.98 around Blyton. I came 3rd just 0.4 sec behind Dave West. Today I was leading Russ with a 76.49 until his final run 76.24 with me stranded in the paddock. So 1 each over the 2 days. Now the horror story. My pit crew tool one of my calipers apart and found a piece of metal lodged in the transfer tube. They reckon it wasn't drilled through properly. I have sent the photo of the piece of metal to hi spec. Good news was with my capacitor fitted I have done ND and 2 events without a single cut out on the track
    well done russ... so good to hear, hopefully ill be back out there soon..

Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday at 3 Sisters Wigan I managed to beat the time I set last year and take a class win, allthough to be fair my main opposition was not enetered.

The good news is that fitting a capacitor between the positive feed to the coil and the cylinder head seems to have stopped, or at least vastly reduced, my mystery cut out. Since it was fitted I have done the national day 2 sprints at Blyton and yesterday at 3 Sisters without any issues at all and the engine seems to be much more happy to rev

Also rather bizarely swapping the rear dampers has improved my brakes. The old ones would compress but not rebound (even in a vice and pulling for all your worth didnt move them) thus lowering the rear and effecting the brake ballance via the adjuster on the rear axle.

Next WE Im at Lowton Park quite a scarry hill climb so wish me luck!

Ive also been asked by the TVR club to be part of their demonstration runs on Blackpool Prom by the Metropole Hotel on the 15th September. Should be a laugh.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear you have your 'cut out' issue nipped in the bud and congrats on the class win. Take them wherever you can!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Great thread, great videos and a throughly good read.

Post Thanks / Like

I survived the trip to Loton Park albeit with 1 trip deep into the undergrowth at the top of the hill. After that start I was very pleased to finish with a new PB of 64.43.
    It was a stunning day at a very tricky hill climb. One single seater went home in bits in fact after helping the driver load the car back onto his trailer I retrieved his rear wing from the bin saying that it might still be usefull.

My engine was superb the handling reasuring its just my annoyingly inconsistent brakes that are holding me up, or not

Post Thanks / Like

Doris and I have survived a frantic weekend of sprinting. Aintree on Saturday and 3 Sisters on Sunday. Both superb events run in mainly dry conditions which was a bonus on Sat as it was forecast to rain.

Despite the continued braking issues I managed two wins with new PB's and even a new class record at 3 Sisters. I especially enjoyed the win at Aintree where I beat Mr Keith Minshaul, who had taken the honours over me at our most recent head to head battles, by almost a full second.

We are getting to the business end of the various championships when we have the traditional shake up in the order as people start to drop scores and others complete enough events for a full set of counting rounds. Prio to this WE I was second overall however Im hoping for a top 5 finish as long as Doris holds together for the final rounds at the fabulous Anglesey trac on 5th 6th Oct.

Doris is back in the pits as Im going back to the standard brakes. Ive had enough of the Hi Spec. Out of the 8 pistons only 2 move as they should and thats despite a new set of seals and a good clean out and lubrication.

Post Thanks / Like

Update on the Hi Spec brakes

The pit crew have found that on one of the circuits off the master cylinder the port with the larger hole was connected to the rear brake. Swapping that over has made an improvement and at the moment the Hi Specs are repreaved but still on notice of the bin.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the pipe sizes make any difference per-ce, but they should be connected diagonally, so the two pipes towards the front of the car will go to diagonally opposite corners of the car.

Post Thanks / Like

Update on the Hi Spec brakes

The pit crew have found that on one of the circuits off the master cylinder the port with the larger hole was connected to the rear brake. Swapping that over has made an improvement and at the moment the Hi Specs are repreaved but still on notice of the bin.

You keep em on the edge Russ

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Andrew I think that you may well be right we shall see. The TVR owners club have a demo event on Blackpool Prom behind the Metropole Hotel on Sunday I have been asked to bring Doris along so a chance to try them out.

here is a link to the current LDMC championship standings

http://motorclub.genesis-ws.co.uk/im...2013-r12v2.pdf

Looks like Andy Larton is going to win as long as his car holds together over the Angelsey weekend where you get bonus points for attending.

I could do with some other cars in my class otherwise your maximum possible score is restricted so if there are any sprinters out there its a cracking WE.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work Russell, they are a nightmare for reliability as I have found out this season!
    Just arrived home from a 2 day hill climb at manor farm charmouth and managed a 3rd in class (mod prod) here's a picture from a couple of weeks ago at wiscombe
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Thats a great photo it should be added to the "action shots" section of the RTOC photo comp. What wheels are you running they look like 13,s ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tony archer View Post
    Nice work Russell, they are a nightmare for reliability as I have found out this season!
    Just arrived home from a 2 day hill climb at manor farm charmouth and managed a 3rd in class (mod prod) here's a picture from a couple of weeks ago at wiscombe
    nice pic tony....what club are you running from?, ive just joined woolbridge and DEWS for some action next year...

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Russ, they are 15's on avon slicks unbelievable grip, Jesus I'm in woolbridge too, I think I met you at gurston when you needed an exhaust spring, look forward to some events next year then !!!

Post Thanks / Like

have the modprod rules changed? That rear wing wouldn't have been allowed a few years back

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tony archer View Post
    Hi Russ, they are 15's on avon slicks unbelievable grip, Jesus I'm in woolbridge too, I think I met you at gurston when you needed an exhaust spring, look forward to some events next year then !!!
    Ahh i see bud.... i remember now, great!!!!, i havent done too much this year as ive been sooo busy with work etc and ive been trying to complete the car after going efi etc.
    Look forward to catching up buddy............

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

It depends where I am mate had to remove it last year for one event then haven't had it mentioned this year !

Post Thanks / Like

The Chester and Liverpool Speed Championship has finished with me 5th overall in Division 1. 3 maximum scores in the last 4 events pulled me up. The early season was blighted by the electrical gremlin, poor brakes and the dropped valve at the 1st round, oh and the fact that I was up against the Midland speed boys.

All the scores are here a Pug 106 Mod Prod takes the top prize this year.

http://www.speedchampionship.com/wp-...ip-Results.pdf

last 2 rounds of the LDMC Championship this WE at Trac Mon Angelsey.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

The Chester and Liverpool Speed Championship has finished with me 5th overall in Division 1. 3 maximum scores in the last 4 events pulled me up. The early season was blighted by the electrical gremlin, poor brakes and the dropped valve at the 1st round, oh and the fact that I was up against the Midland speed boys.

All the scores are here a Pug 106 Mod Prod takes the top prize this year.

http://www.speedchampionship.com/wp-...ip-Results.pdf

last 2 rounds of the LDMC Championship this WE at Trac Mon Angelsey.
    Good stuff. Wish my Fuego was road legal so I could come and join you for playtime!

Post Thanks / Like

trailer it and enter mod prod judging by your pace at Blyton you could do well until a mega Evo turns up

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

trailer it and enter mod prod judging by your pace at Blyton you could do well until a mega Evo turns up
    Hmmm. Interesting. Information/website link?

Post Thanks / Like

Enter Speed Events ii

Covers all you need to know.

As for my last WE I had some issues such as a ripped CV joint boot spraying grease onto the nearside brake disc and prob NS rear tyre however I managed 2 maximum scores against not the fastest cars in my class and I have finished 3rd in the Longton and District Speed Championship.

Overall very happy, especially considering I had a valve drop at the first event! One of the best seasons ever lovely weather at most events and fitting the Advan Neova tyres has lowered my times every where. I am going back to Renault OE brakes and I need to do some more noise supression as I still have that pescky cut out once in a blue moon, exiting the fast corner onto the long straight at Trac Mon is not a good time for it to happen. On the limit in the corner it would have spun me off.