Post Thanks / Like

Fuel, Spark but no...

Hello.

I have my newly built f7p which i have done myself, i've fitted an adaptronic kit from scoff (cheers top man)

But i tried to start her up, i have a spark and fuel, the engine tries to fire up it coughs but no more.

Could i have buggered up the timing or something?

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fuel, Spark but no...

You got leads in correct order. Unplug injectors and crank over with them unplugged may have flooded it
    Last edited by James5; 15-04-2013 at 23:27.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
    Hello.

I have my newly built f7p which i have done myself, i've fitted an adaptronic kit from scoff (cheers top man)

But i tried to start her up, i have a spark and fuel, the engine tries to fire up it coughs but no more.

Could i have buggered up the timing or something?

are you getting a signal from the tdc pick up of the gearbox, i dont know if the adaptronic has a led on it to show its picking up the signal. if that is all ok check the plugs , if there wet and covered in crap, it wont start either, take them out give them a really good clean , maybe heat them up or replace with new, take out some of the fuel out of that part of the basic map, ie run it lean just to get it to fire up, is the ecu programed for the trigger pattern your using on the flywheel also.

if its all good then it may be the timing needs advancing /retarding, usally pops and bangs when cranking over if timing is out

is the throttle position sensor aligned on ecu also?

i dont really know much about the adaptronic , but there are quite a few on here that do, im sure someone will join in and give a bit more in depth advice
    Last edited by HAndy; 15-04-2013 at 22:51.

Post Thanks / Like

The plugs are new and are nice and wet with fuel. All i know about the map is its the f7p kit that comes with map for the spec i have at the mo so it 'should' run

The plugs should be correct as i asked scoff

As for the popping and banging i get none of that, it turns over really fast while cranking tho.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're getting a spark then tdc will be working. May be worth checking the signal strength you get from it tho.

Post Thanks / Like

How would I do that?

Post Thanks / Like

Using a multi meter on the signal wire to the tdc I'm not sure if you earth it or go to both tdc wires hopefuly someone will clear that up.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Check that the CAS1 LED is flashing on the ECU when cranking Gary. That shows us the ECU is seeing the crank sensor. A better test is to connect the laptop, run WARI, hit F2 so you can see the live data and check to see that you are getting somewhere between 200 and 300 rpm while cranking. It should be fairly stable, not jumping around. Also the fuel pump should be running from the moment you start to crank the engine.

If the RPM is OK then check you have correct fuel pressure. Also check for a regular spark and check to see if the plugs are getting a reasonable amount of fuel to them (IE not bone dry and not coming out soaking wet)

Plug leads ABCD should go to cylinders 1234.

What fuel injectors are they ? Were they the Astra VXR injectors or am I thinking of someone else ? If they're something different to those I've used before then you might need to tweek the amount of cranking fuel and master trim value if it's running too lean or too rich.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Right cheers Scoff, i tried WARI but did not know how it worked help?

I also tried unplugging the injectors and cranking and she ran for 2 seconds, replugged and did nothing but stink of fuel, unplugged again and ran for a second so i know its over-fueling but how do i sort this so i can start her?

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Oh and it is me with the VXR injectors.