Post Thanks / Like

Legal advice...speeding

Just after a heads up with what to expect...

Got gunned at 59 in a 30 today on the bike, rolled off the throttle before the 30 and let it coast down into the 30, obviously was going quite quick in the national limit so by time I was in the 30 was too late.

I know that 1mph more is instant ban, but I take it I could still be in for some hefty points/fine/ban general rape as not only a motorist but also a 'biker'

I've been reported for excessive speed I believe.... Do I sit and wait my fete?

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Legal advice...speeding

3points/£60 fine... Could be asked to take a speed awareness course

Any other convictions? Feel free to pm me

Edit : how long u had your bike licence for?

Post Thanks / Like

Was 29mph over a 30 limit, 3 points in march 09 for 40 in a 30 at 9pm at night

Had bike licence just over a year too, I don't think the police officer liked bikes to be fair he was so angry he was spitting, and when I asked what was gonna happen he said he was gonna try and get me banned

Post Thanks / Like

Police will always try and have u banned/scare tactics at side of the road...you could well loose your licence tho as your on a 2 year probation period on your bike licence ...

I don't know if they can ban u on ur bike but still allow you to drive your car ( will read up tomorrow)...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure the 2 year probation is for new licence holders, I'm pretty sure bikes are just an extra entitlement. Only thing I signed was a producer for my licence, although I've just seen that there is no reg number on there!

Post Thanks / Like

I wil look into the laws for you tomorrow, have shot loads of update books, (although am sure google will answer your question)...

No reg number eh.. A decent lawer could get u off on a technicality... Depending on the judges mood..

Post Thanks / Like

Lucky you didnt double i doubt you will get banned mate just show remorse and that you have learnt from it

Post Thanks / Like

I hopefully passed the attitude test, said I was silly etc, which I was.

Could just do without a ban or a horrific fine, we will see I guess, I tried googling about licence but wasn't too clear

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like a £60 fine and 3 points they may revoke the bike licence for 6 months but shouldnt touch the car part but dont quote me, as stated they may offer a safety course with no points just i think its a £130 course but id rather pay that then have the points anyday as far as i know too you only get offered the course once if you get caught speeding again its points straight away mate

Post Thanks / Like

Mark your right about no propation period as your over 25....

So you should only get 3 points £60 fine or offered a speed awareness course... But cos its going to court you can get upto 6 points, £1000 fine and a 6 month ban... But very very unlikely...

Edit: a good will jesture to the judge would be enrol yourself on a Advance Rider Course.... A worthwhile course anyway....

Post Thanks / Like

Have a look on pepipoo.com

Some good advice on this sort of stuff there

Post Thanks / Like

Should have put it on the back wheel and made off.

I though the safety courses were if you was a few mph over. Yours is closer to dangerous driving.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you're more likely looking at 6 points and a £200-£250 fine. I was caught doing 79 in a 50 back in 07 on a dual carriageway. It may be different as I was travelling faster, but the extra speeds are the same. Mine went to court and I appointed someone to act on my behalf, it cost me £250 and my insurance company didn't seem to care so my premium never went up, was very lucky as I got 3 points following month

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

On drivingban.co.uk there is loads of info:

You were 96.66% over the legal limit, with less than 2 years on your licence. Equivalent of you doing 137.6 mph in a 70 limit.

Max points- 6

Ban- Yes up to 28 days

Summons- yes

Fine- up to £1000

Because you've had your licence less than 2 years you may lose your licence too.

This is info from the website chap, not from me. Have a look on the website, they have a calculator to work out roughly what you will have to pay etc.

Post Thanks / Like

From professional experience I would say points and biggish fine......
    You would be lucky if they offered a speed awareness course. But if they do I have no doubt you would take it

Don't think you will get banned

Post Thanks / Like

If he verbally reported you just sit and wait to see if anything comes through the post. Most of the time when I do this I can't be arsed with the paperwork so let it go leaving the person ****ting himself lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by g10far View Post
    I think you're more likely looking at 6 points and a £200-£250 fine
    ^ This.

Post Thanks / Like

As above, does depend a lot on the person who caught you, it's obviously quite excessive, so max 6 points and a decent fine I would have thought. Could have been a lot worse if you had been on the throttle for just a few seconds longer

makes me realize how decent the copper that caught me out a few years ago was, I got caught doing 66 in a 30 and that was average speed over 100 meters and I wasn't even on the gas, when he first got his radar on me it said 82mph I'm not proud of it and his words were "anywhere else at any other time and you would no longer have a license" it was at 5am on a Sunday morning going through an industrial estate. This was before the twice the limit law also, 3 points and £60. My life would have been so different now if he had of thrown the book at me, as I now teach people to drive for a living. Gotta get some positive out of all the mistakes I made.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

i have done silly things in the past also mr b, chances are you will get either a short ban and hefty fine (depending on what amount they feel fit to give) or at best a 6 points and the stanard fine to go with it, do the usal ...my job , house, loans etc depends on me having a licence, and dress smart and show remorse for the actions you have taken,do not smile either while in the court, been there and done it, 82 in a 30mph zone when i was 19 years old in my old black 5gtt, was very easy though undercover cid in a vauxhall carlton usal letter in the post 2 1/2 months later

but i can honestly say ive never speeded in towns and village areas again the quiet coastal b roads are a different matter

never see any plod with speed traps there

got to have some boooosstttt
    Last edited by HAndy; 15-04-2013 at 17:20.

East Midlands Regional Rep Os8472's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Basically butterbean you were being a bell end lol

Learn from it fella, go like f**k everywhere but make sure you stick to the 30limits

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Os8472 View Post
    Basically butterbean you were being a bell end lol

Learn from it fella, go like f**k everywhere but make sure you stick to the 30limits
    Well that's the general idea, I was slowing for the 30 but I didn't brake as it was clear and I had a bike behind

East Midlands Regional Rep Os8472's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markey b View Post
    Well that's the general idea, I was slowing for the 30 but I didn't brake as it was clear and I had a bike behind
    Still shoulda braked mate, if someone is that close behind you that's their problem not yours

Post Thanks / Like

why did you stop ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan y View Post
    why did you stop ?
    Because he would of been in a whole different world of very very deep sh*t rather than just up to his ankles.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

that said i have done that before in the past(very long time ago) purely by accident,was driving back from a late job in deepest darkest norfolk not really paying that much attention to the speed i was doing, coming through a rural village,and out of nowhere this bloke steps out into the road in front of me, it was october time, i swerved around him, thinking it was some pissed up local staggering back from a pub, didnt click till i was 40 yards past him and i see the police car hidden just of the main road,followed by two hefty blokes running back towards there car, and thought oh ****!!! anyway i panicked, floored it and got out of the village, turned off my main lights and hooked a left down a very small lane ,shoved it behind a hedge of the road and hid up.......... got away with it, watched the car go flying of up the main road was ****in it

what a knob i was, but there you go , young and stupid, have'nt really changed that much , still a knob and still stupid at times just dont speed that much anymore, mainly because im always pissing about "improving " it still and it raley see's the road

Post Thanks / Like

My next door neighbours a traffic cop........ he drives a silver vectra. im pretty certain ive flown passed hundereds of them, makes me wonder if he was ever in one lol

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HAndy View Post
    that said i have done that before in the past(very long time ago) purely by accident,was driving back from a late job in deepest darkest norfolk not really paying that much attention to the speed i was doing, coming through a rural village,and out of nowhere this bloke steps out into the road in front of me, it was october time, i swerved around him, thinking it was some pissed up local staggering back from a pub, didnt click till i was 40 yards past him and i see the police car hidden just of the main road,followed by two hefty blokes running back towards there car, and thought oh ****!!! anyway i panicked, floored it and got out of the village, turned off my main lights and hooked a left down a very small lane ,shoved it behind a hedge of the road and hid up.......... got away with it, watched the car go flying of up the main road was ****in it

what a knob i was, but there you go , young and stupid, have'nt really changed that much , still a knob and still stupid at times just dont speed that much anymore, mainly because im always pissing about "improving " it still and it raley see's the road
    Ha that's hilarious! In a 5?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
    Ha that's hilarious! In a 5?

yep , and that was about 3 months after i first bought it back in 1997

wow funny thing was, i never had any bother when i used to potter about in my 950cc fiesta pop for the first 18 months of passing my test, got into the 5gtt ,and all hell broke lose!!! i blame the boost

Post Thanks / Like

75 in a 40.... a few years ago now.
    went to court, got 6 points and a £220 fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Went up there last night and measured the distance from the sign to where I was actually pulled over... 0.17miles... My dad is retired traffic, he said needs to be 0.2 to hold up, or is this not worth questioning?

Post Thanks / Like

Question everything! If there's loop-holes or strict measurements that can get you out of the points/fines then I'd go with it.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Went up there last night and measured the distance from the sign to where I was actually pulled over... 0.17miles... My dad is retired traffic, he said needs to be 0.2 to hold up, or is this not worth questioning?
    Could be worth it- though they'll probably get pissed off with you trying to dodge it. I reckon your best bet is to show remorse admit you were wrong and plead like hell.

Post Thanks / Like

I've always wondered about this, they used to have to do the speed over a certain distance and it was then the lowest reading used. Not sure how it works with the lasers, after all they give the speed you're doing at a set point.

It also used to be a ban at double the speed limit or 100> mph but they dropped the 100> to around 90 mark to catch people out who sit under 100 to stop them from getting an instant ban. They also changed the double to something like 10% off the double for a ban, in a 30 = 60 - 10% =6 so anything 54> is a ban.

Not sure on exact numbers tbh

Also bear in mind all cases and areas have a different judge so you can't compare your case with someone else's

In all honesty I'd be prepared for a ban and be happy if I kept my licence.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm finding out this eve, he could have got me just inside the limit and I was slowing the whole time. I could have been less over that its made out which is my issue

Post Thanks / Like

Anythings possible Markey, someone i know got caught doing 148 in a 70 with a pillion, the police officer said he would see them in court. This was 3 years ago and no summons.

So lucky not to be someones bitch in prison.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Josie172cup View Post

So lucky not to be someones bitch in prison.
    doesn't happen over here apparently

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HAndy View Post

I did it when I was about 18 in a nova gte. No mot or insurance. Police step out come to my window I look at her through the Glass and floored it. Stopped 200m around the corner down a footpath it was about 1 am. Lights off and went for a walk lol I even started trying to rub finger prints off the car. Went back half hour later and drove home. I was bricking it ha ha what a nob.

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

So Mark what happened then?

Post Thanks / Like

Only sent my nip back this eve to say I was riding... Probably got a couple of months to wait now until my summons :-(