Post Thanks / Like

age old oil question sorry

As it says on the tin, i know its an age old question but im going to ask it again.
    my engine car has covered about 88k the new engine has covered about 44k of those miles. it needs an oil change and unsure of the best to go for, previous cars got mobil 1 fully sythetic 0-40w if i remember rightly, it was pretty thin but there were tweeked up engines, this engine is bog standard so i was in a dilemma
    Mobil's website recommends:
    Mobil 1 New Life™ 0W-40 fully syn
    Mobil Super™ 2000 X1 10W-40 part syn
    or Castrol said:
    EDGE 5W-40 Fully syn
    EDGE 0w-40 Fully syn
    or Magnatec 10W-40 Fully syn

question is has anyone used them previously or can anyone recommend a decent oil for a standard engine. any ideas are welcome

cheers

Lee

Post Thanks / Like

Re: age old oil question sorry

EDGE 5W-40 Fully syn or 10w-40 fully syn

Post Thanks / Like

10w/40 part synth for a standard engine/standard boost
    Remember its an old engine design, so not greatly affected by oil types as most modern engines are.

Committee Member
    Events
    Post Thanks / Like

I run 20/50 in my car

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

IMO 10-40 is too thin.

15w50 fully synth is what I use in the 21, 9 and Fuego.

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Any decent 10W 40 semi synthetic will be fine

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I used Mobil1 0w40 in the 5GTT and a cold engine was MUCH better. Felt like it was already warmed up. Turbo spun up, engine was smooth, unlike previous 10W40's.

O is thicker than 40 or about the same.

Oil gets thinner as it warms, even 0W40.

But the nice thing about these 0 oils is the lack of need of viscosity enhancers meaning:
    they remain similar thickness over the temperature range,
    can operate at higher temperatures without becoming too thin, as may happen briefly in a turbocharger,
    and could last longer as it's the viscosity enhancers that break down and the oil becomes too thin when hot.

The only reason the cold end goes up to 15 in the 15W50 is the addition of viscosity enhancers to get the hot end up to 50. You don't want that 15. 0 moves around the engine easier and protects more during the first 10 minutes when most engine wear occurs.

That's what the people that seem to know exactly what they're talking about say anyway.

And I would have to agree if my cold engine was so much better. And the Fiat 1.1 engine I have now seems to be better from cold too now that I have 0W40 in it.

As far as the hot end goes, I put a sump temp gauge in the 5 and it never went above 112°C, IIRC, apparently that's fine for a 40 oil. I didn't often get above 90°C. You only need a thicker one if you go hotter. Perhaps it might help if you're trying to work around excessive wear in your engine, I don't know.

Also Costco were selling the Mobil 1 cheaper then the Castrol Edge.

Post Thanks / Like

1040 synth

Post Thanks / Like

sorry to hijack, but i have some spare 10w40 from a old oil change think it was on a e30. but it says 1990 onwards. could it still be used in a 25 year old 5 or does 90 onwards mean strictly 90 onwards.

Post Thanks / Like

ok i plumped for valvoline semi syn 10w-40.
    lets see how we go
    cheers for the advice people

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
    I used Mobil1 0w40 in the 5GTT and a cold engine was MUCH better. Felt like it was already warmed up. Turbo spun up, engine was smooth, unlike previous 10W40's.

O is thicker than 40 or about the same.

Oil gets thinner as it warms, even 0W40.

But the nice thing about these 0 oils is the lack of need of viscosity enhancers meaning:
    they remain similar thickness over the temperature range,
    can operate at higher temperatures without becoming too thin, as may happen briefly in a turbocharger,
    and could last longer as it's the viscosity enhancers that break down and the oil becomes too thin when hot.

The only reason the cold end goes up to 15 in the 15W50 is the addition of viscosity enhancers to get the hot end up to 50. You don't want that 15. 0 moves around the engine easier and protects more during the first 10 minutes when most engine wear occurs.

That's what the people that seem to know exactly what they're talking about say anyway.

And I would have to agree if my cold engine was so much better. And the Fiat 1.1 engine I have now seems to be better from cold too now that I have 0W40 in it.

As far as the hot end goes, I put a sump temp gauge in the 5 and it never went above 112°C, IIRC, apparently that's fine for a 40 oil. I didn't often get above 90°C. You only need a thicker one if you go hotter. Perhaps it might help if you're trying to work around excessive wear in your engine, I don't know.

Also Costco were selling the Mobil 1 cheaper then the Castrol Edge.

That's a good post

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've used 10/40 Mobil semi synthetic for a year now and it's great on the engine. Did an oil change the other day and you can really feel the difference when putting the new oil in. Smoother revving and seems to be less 'clunky' at start up.

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
    That's a good post
    Thanks

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

I have always used full synth in range 5-15w50.
    I owned this car 19 years now. Former owner (my dad) used to use samekind of oils.

Mobil 1 Peak Life 5W-50 in engine right now.
    Engine 250k. Normal and higher boost. Haven't opened engine until last year when i just changed Rocker Cover Gasket (was original old one and breathers got blocked getting some oils leaked out during winter) and little adjusted tappets. Have changed oils and filter every 7-10k km. Maybe i'm just luckyone but its seems this oil is worked just fine for me.