Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Head gasket change????

Hi, I'm after some advice on changing my own head gasket.
    Im fairly mechanically minded but apart from the obvious like labelling all the pipes up etc are there any specific tips for these engines which will help with the swap.
    The only thing im aware of which is fairly critical is when the head is off to not move the crank at all otherwise the cylinder liners will push out.

Any advice would be much appreciated guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Head gasket change????

The most complicated part..... ie not bolting something on off is the tappets adjustment once its back together. Also make sure your headbolt holes are blasted out(not full of water/oil) bolts dont like to compress oil/water and if they do they head wont torque down properely.

Other than that its a pretty easy job unlike an ohc engine.

Good luck you'll be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Keep both surfaces very clean, new bolts, torque down to 75 nm if installing updated bolts. Also check for warping on the head. If memory serves me well, anything more than 0.05 of an inch may need a skim. Follow the good book and you'll be fine.

If you get to a part that you get stuck on, leave it and ask the question, don't panic, take your time.

Post Thanks / Like

another basic tip is when u have al lthe head bolts out dont lift the head straight off twist it then lift other wise may disturb a liner

Post Thanks / Like

ooo
    oo

Another great one.

Cut the tops off 2 of the old head bolts and cut slots in them.

When re-fitting the new head, have these 2 in the 2 front outer most holes and use these to guide the head on. This will allow you to drop the head down and avoid it slipping off when you go for the bolts. Put the rest of the head bolts in finger tight, then remove these 2 studs and put the final 2 head bolts in.

Torque down to 40nm, then 60nm, then 75nm.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TNT ANDY View Post
    ooo
    oo

Another great one.

When re-fitting the new head, have these 2 in the 2 front outer most holes and use these to guide the head on. This will allow you to drop the head down and avoid it slipping off when you go for the bolts. Put the rest of the head bolts in finger tight, then remove these 2 studs and put the final 2 head bolts in.

Good tip

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TNT ANDY View Post
    ooo
    oo

Another great one.

I do this too.

But I'm pretty sure when I tried with the dizzy still in place it would catch on it.