Post Thanks / Like

Any ideas what Turbo this is?

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Hey there, i just changed the head on my 5 and noticed there was a stud missing from the turbo flange,(photo) so on refit ment i put another stud onto it. was not till refitment of the elbow realised it wouldnt fit as a stud has been taken out ot the turbo housing to fit to elbow, so i took the stud off and refited the four stud elbow. Now, im having a one piece down pipe made up by Groky on here, whilst telling him the correct information of the outlet, ie not a std outlet which i was led to belive by the guy i bought the car from, he explained that the turbo that comes with the 5's are ablet to mix and match from others to a hybrid. this is all good, however i dont know what "hybrid" if any i have. i got the spec from inside the compressor cold side was .49 and the exhaust size has .37 stamped onto it. i hope someone out there can help to identify which mix of turbo or even the name of the turbo, ive typed the numpers stamped onto the identification disc on the turbo but to no avill, its just as im away for a rolling road on the 6th and would like the spec of the car to be true as possible to know future problems and or tunning. ill upload some photos to help. cheers for your time to read this. chris
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any ideas what Turbo this is?

hi mate.when i changed the turbo from the t2 to a t25 on my old 5 i had the same thing (stud wise) i had a mate fit it for me that works at janspeed. and CRTURBOS rebuilt the turbo for me. they in my experiance are really good and they could more than likly help if you give them a ring tomorrow. (if someone on hear dosnt before hand)

hears there number. 01425638426

hope that helps.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks a bit like a t25 turbo from a rover tomcat

Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

cheers smithy, ill give that a shot the moro.

Post Thanks / Like

i thought it was a t25 too baas J, however some people who have tried and tested these say they dont boost till quite far on the rev range, this unit currently fitted, whistles and starts to pull before the boost even starts to show on the guage and keeps going till near red line, ive only taken it past 6/6.5k as i like my engine complete and the boost was still there. doesnt go over the redline on the boost guage either. one think i like about this turbo i must admit is the Chatter ( compresor surge for the politicaly correct turbo heads lol ) is amazing, pulls strong and hard if throttle is applied in stages.

Post Thanks / Like

correction. Bass J. my typing. cheers

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

i had a t2 hybrid like this from turbo technics ...boosted hard from low revs ..best bet is to hook up an AFR and see what the afrs are on boost ..then have some fun!

edit -seen you said it boosted further up the rev range ...could be a hybrid t25 with a larger rear ...(i dont kno about sizes LOL)

Post Thanks / Like

mmm, a mystery spec turbo. i like that lol. well ill find out at the rolling road on the 6th as to whats going on with the AFR side of things. and also what pressure the turbo running at

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a std t2 to me tho its hard to tell... It's not a tomcat that's for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

T2/t25 or some early t25s off nissans had that stud pattern.

Post Thanks / Like

if thats a STD T2 then im no wanting a hybrid. this seems more than capabile for what i need the now.

Post Thanks / Like

i guess this is the problem when you start mix and matching parts from other turbos to make a decent unit. unles the owner or builder of a mad scientist can help pass on the information your left with a unkowen turbo that people may make the mistake of either increasing the boost levels over the safe limit on the fact it looks bigger or pulls stronger than your mates scooby so it must be a hard core hybrid to pop there goes my STD T2 that i was running 20 million PSI lol. i think my best bet is to get a genuine hybrid with my EFI conversion in summer. happy days

Post Thanks / Like

cheers ashy and casper

Post Thanks / Like

Mines a t2/t25 with what was a. 47 rear but had a tb22 wheel machined in and that pulls as described.

Post Thanks / Like

ah decent, this is a good start. where does the needle go upto on your STD boost gauge if you still go it fiited, as i know over time these can be unreliable.

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by casper View Post
    T2/t25 or some early t25s off nissans had that stud pattern.
    I was also looking at the oil drain, Deffo t2 as full t25's have a 2 bolt flange arrangement!

Post Thanks / Like

after much research on internet, using the numbers on the turbo, have came up with the turbo on international turbos website as being a TB0235, a standard T2. . just need to get it onto a rolling road to see why it is quicker than more tuned cars. so thank u all for your knowledge of what it may be. least now i gan look forward to the best turbo to go for with efi which is soon on its way. cheers