Post Thanks / Like

02M Conversion thread

As more and more people take the 02M route i think it is a good idea to sum up what's needed for the conversion.

Following up on Oli's recent gearbox failure and all the gearbox failures in the past i decided not feeling like riding on a ticking timebomb and to go for the conversion too.

Parts needed for the conversion:

- 02M gearbox obviously (with starter)

- 02M gear linkage

- Scoff's flywheel and adaptor plate

- Clutch kit to match the flywheel (Spec, Clutchmasters, Sachs, Southbend etc.)

- 02M axles welded to Clio sport axles which slide in perfectly iirc

- Clio sport stub axles to allow for the Clio sport splines

- Hyd. clutch conversion (don't know which master cylinder, anyone?)

- Something to drive the tacho (was thinking on machining the diff and fit a ring with the gtt slots machined onto it. anyone thought about this?)

- Custom mounts to account for the different gearbox

I already have a S3 dqb gearbox, passat jlu gearbox for the final drive swap/fwd housing and a Quaiffe limited slip diff.

Anything i forgot? Or any tips & tricks from the guys who already done it?

Cheers,
    Arthur

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 02M Conversion thread

Quote Originally Posted by Tutuur View Post
    As more and more people take the 02M route i think it is a good idea to sum up what's needed for the conversion.

Following up on Oli's recent gearbox failure and all the gearbox failures in the past i decided not feeling like riding on a ticking timebomb and to go for the conversion too.

Parts needed for the conversion:

- 02M gearbox obviously (with starter)

- 02M gear linkage

- Scoff's flywheel and adaptor plate

- Clutch kit to match the flywheel (Spec, Clutchmasters, Sachs, Southbend etc.)

- 02M axles welded to Clio sport axles which slide in perfectly iirc

- Clio sport stub axles to allow for the Clio sport splines

- Hyd. clutch conversion (don't know which master cylinder, anyone?)

- Something to drive the tacho (was thinking on machining the diff and fit a ring with the gtt slots machined onto it. anyone thought about this?)

- Custom mounts to account for the different gearbox

I already have a S3 dqb gearbox, passat jlu gearbox for the final drive swap/fwd housing and a Quaiffe limited slip diff.

Anything i forgot? Or any tips & tricks from the guys who already done it?

Cheers,
    Arthur

pretty much covered everything there
    tdc pick up will need machining /fitting into bellhousing somewhere
    and selector forks as coverede in jp's thread

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah selector forks are easy enough to do just make sure you keep them in order and don't weld them up wrong d'oh quick fix with and angle grinder only realised my mistake once fitting them back in and couldn't get one to fit all sorted now

Post Thanks / Like

Also I'm using r5 hubs and drive shafts but the clio route would be stronger might do that later in the year once car comes off the road for winter

Post Thanks / Like

For the clutch I'm using a mk 4 vw golf pedal and cylinder built in and all in all the cost is around £1500-£2000 if using some second hand parts just as a guide. It's not cheap :/ but hopefully a one off cost

Post Thanks / Like

cost is a problem in this hobby anyway! as said i virtually have all the big parts already so most of the costs are covered.

ones i get the gtt ready probably in a few years i could always swap everything over from the 9 so it's a worthwhile upgrade imo.

when doing it i would get the strongest option so am going to use the Clio drivshaft and stub axles, already have the stub axles and a set of driveshafts aren't too hard to find.

i've seen pics in Handy's thread with the (ford?) vr sensor Scoff sells built into the belhousing which looks pretty neat.

would it be the easiest to chop up a golf mk4 clutch pedal to fit into the 9 or retro fit a master cylinder?

mind you i'm still in Afghanistan atm so i can't really do anything or find out anything yet but the plans are growing like mad

Post Thanks / Like

what's the price of the flywheel and plate from Scoff? i can't seem to find it on his website....

Post Thanks / Like

Best to ask scoff can't remember off top of my head the exact price but around £100 for plate and £500 for flywheel some where around there anyway

Post Thanks / Like

Chris, could you shine a light for me?

you mentioned the s3 driveshafts fit exactly over clio sport driveshafts but, i see the driveshafts in JP's thread and they seem to be thinner from the pictures.

also i have found that s3's don't always have the thicker ones on both sides.
    what driveshafts do i need exactly so they fit over the cliosport driveshafts?

and shifter meganism should work of al 02m fitted cars right?

also, has anyone measured the travel of the master cylinder?

thanks alot for helping me out!

Post Thanks / Like

This thread should become a guild

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Chris, could you shine a light for me?

you mentioned the s3 driveshafts fit exactly over clio sport driveshafts but, i see the driveshafts in JP's thread and they seem to be thinner from the pictures.

also i have found that s3's don't always have the thicker ones on both sides.
    what driveshafts do i need exactly so they fit over the cliosport driveshafts?

and shifter meganism should work of al 02m fitted cars right?

also, has anyone measured the travel of the master cylinder?

thanks alot for helping me out!

the shifter will work of all 02m boxes, be aware though , that depending which gearbox you have, that they changed the selector cable connection ends that linked on to the gearbox selector arm, there are 3 types, i fitted a aftermarket /short shift type selector , which came with the 3 types of pins /ball joint

your master cylinder will prob be a retro fit , unless you convert over to cable like james5 has done, although i would still have hydro system personaly, and fit/ weld a stop to footwell area under the clutch pedal, or as jp mentioned, try and fit a golf clutch pedal which has slave cylinder and stop built in

Post Thanks / Like

the cable conversion James uses is only applicable to 02j gearboxes.

i'll have to figure out what diameter the plunger of the oe hyd cylinder is and what travel it normally gets.

think i'll have to find myself a aftermarket master cylinder so i can fit it under the dash somewhere.

clutch is on his way from the US, now i only need shafts and then afaik i have about everything...

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a willwood 0.75 master cylinder in my car with 02m arthur. I forget the travel but that is the size of cylinder you want if you're going custom. The MK4 Golf cylinder is what I used on that Clio I sent you pictures of but I think it'll need an elaborate linkage to make it work in an R5/9 pedal box ? Certainly there was no room in the Clio to mount it straight to the pedal. With the willwood you can mount it vertically in the scuttle.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JP Racing View Post
    Best to ask scoff can't remember off top of my head the exact price but around £100 for plate and £500 for flywheel some where around there anyway
    £440 for the flywheels at this moment. Aparantly some of that cost is because of the flywheels height (offset) meaning it must be cut from a large billet. They are about 80mm deep.

Post Thanks / Like

think i'll source a wilwood 0,75 then. also saw some pics of a small arm welded on the clutch pedal so i think that's the route to go.

currently have some wiring and waterbottle in the scuttle though but with some rearranging it'll probably work. could always try to make slots in the arm so i could fiddle with throw a bit.

thanks alot mate! i hope the flywheel arrives in time

Post Thanks / Like

this:

and i guess this is the master cylinder i'm looking for:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brake-Clut...item3cce220631

or original wilwood from same seller for 12 quid more:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wilwood-Br...item35b068748f

Last edited by Tutuur; 11-04-2013 at 15:40.

Post Thanks / Like

So what power can the o2m box take and is not cheaper putting a gear kit in a jc5 box than all the work to fit a o2m box ?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danielmk323 View Post
    So what power can the o2m box take and is not cheaper putting a gear kit in a jc5 box than all the work to fit a o2m box ?
    the 02m has been proven to take 1000hp/900ftlb in the states with a few simple mods/ improvents, mainly selector forks and diff bolts

the jc5 will hold at best 350ftlb -400ftlb max, depending on condition and how the transmission is being used, also your looking at a twin plate clutch once you see over the 350ftlb mark, they are not cheap,and dont last long either, where the 02m o.e clutch will just about take 350 ftlb in standard form, and there are single plate clutches out there that will take almost 600ftlb for sensible money

as regards cost, it really does depend on how much hp/ftlb you want to run, but now you know the limits of the jc5 type box

to convert to 02m your looking around £2000 minium , depending on how cheap you source a box , fabricate brackets +driveshafts, clutch and bearing,flywheel , selector system, but long term i think its still better value than pulling apart jc5's every month of the year
    Last edited by HAndy; 11-04-2013 at 18:09.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HAndy View Post
    the 02m has been proven to take 1000hp/900ftlb in the states with a few simple mods/ improvents, mainly selector forks and diff bolts

the jc5 will hold at best 350ftlb -400ftlb max, depending on condition and how the transmission is being used, also your looking at a twin plate clutch once you see over the 350ftlb mark, they are not cheap,and dont last long either, where the 02m o.e clutch will just about take 350 ftlb in standard form, and there are single plate clutches out there that will take almost 600ftlb for sensible money

as regards cost, it really does depend on how much hp/ftlb you want to run, but now you know the limits of the jc5 type box

to convert to 02m your looking around £2000 minium , depending on how cheap you source a box , fabricate brackets +driveshafts, clutch and bearing,flywheel , selector system, but long term i think its still better value than pulling apart jc5's every month of the year
    You won it chap

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

even managed to convince oli ( 0s84291) aka the ipswich , that it is the way foward with bigger bhp, and he is REALLY tight when it comes to spending on his 5gtt

Post Thanks / Like

do you guys know the size of the nipple on the slave cylinder?

want to order the wilwood master cylinder but the guy also has hoses and fittings so might aswell buy me the whole package at once so i can make a nice braided clutch line

Post Thanks / Like

Andy, JP, Scoff?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Andy, JP, Scoff?

sorry only just read the last post

according to wilwood the non intergral master cylinder is 7/16 -20 inlet
    3/8/-24 outlet

integral is 3/8 -24 outlet same as above item

i get all my brake system items from www.rallydesigns.co.uk

i hope thats what you ment by "nipple"

Post Thanks / Like

lol, yeah that's the dutch word for it. didn't know what it equals in english....

thanks, but i meant the gearbox side

that's the only "nipple" i don;t know the size/thread of

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

lol, yeah that's the dutch word for it. didn't know what it equals in english....

thanks, but i meant the gearbox side

that's the only "nipple" i don;t know the size/thread of

the thread on the clutch slave cylinder connector ie the metal tube is m10x1.0mm

(the bit that connects to that vw plastic block with the o rings either end)

or you could fit one of these
    http://www.awesomegti.com/car/vw/gol...-block-mk5-etc

Post Thanks / Like

that's a nice billet item but i'll keep the standard one for now.

thanks for helping me out, that was what i need to know

East Midlands Regional Rep Os8472's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HAndy View Post
    even managed to convince oli ( 0s84291) aka the ipswich , that it is the way foward with bigger bhp, and he is REALLY tight when it comes to spending on his 5gtt
    Yes I'll be going O2N eventually but not yet

Oh and who's tight ya cheeky fecker, wouldn't even partake of a MaccyD's not to long ago Mr I've got a mortgage now and can't afford to eat