Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Faulty fuel pump???????

Hi everyone, i have a little starting problem with the 5 turbo. For about 2 weeks it has decided not to start so took the plunge today to investigate what the problem was and all symptoms point towards the fuel pump under the car, i took the fuel pump of the car and put it on my work bench and powered it up from a spare battery but instead of running smooth it was making a clunking sound so would just like to verify with a few people if you guys agree that its a faulty fuel pump.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Faulty fuel pump???????

You could put a bit of pipe on it and then run some fuel through it and see what it flows like but if its makeing a horrible noise then i would just go buy a new one and change fuel filter while i was at it

Post Thanks / Like

should buzz/hum

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah i thought it should just make a buzzing noise but just clunks and sounds seized.

Post Thanks / Like

it should buzz constantly.......before u put a new one in,access the pickup filter in the tank and make sure its clean ect

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by michael tierney View Post
    it should buzz constantly.......before u put a new one in,access the pickup filter in the tank and make sure its clean ect
    ill probably change the filters as well to be honest but the clunk noise was still being made when the fuel pump was on the bench which leads me to believe its faulty as surly it would run smooth if disconnected?
    Thanks for replies guys