Post Thanks / Like

Anyone know the 2.2dci engine ?

Just bought a 2004 Espace but it has an oil leak from the top of the engine somewhere & a strange ticking/tapping noise from somewhere on idle, this goes with a blip of the throttle & returns again after a second, thought it quietened down after it had run for a while though, doesn't sound like a cam or bottom end rattle, nor release bearing
    The car has no MOT so could only drive it round the yard in 1st & 2nd but no lights on dash & pulled OK I thought. I will investigate further on Monday when I have more time, just wondered if anyone knew these engines at all as thinking cam cover gasket might need doing..
    I have read the reviews online it seemed a bargain.. or maybe not
    Last edited by 5teve L; 16-03-2013 at 16:52.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone know the 2.2dci engine ?

did you see how much it would be to tax it before you bought it?- thats what put me off buying one!
    ticking noise- are you sure its not an exhaust manifold leaking? - give all the nuts a tweak to see if they are tight?

Post Thanks / Like

Sparkie is the 2.2 the common rail

Post Thanks / Like

yes all 'dci' renaults are common rail..... it's the dti and DT that aren't.
    what are you thinking the noise is???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    yes all 'dci' renaults are common rail..... it's the dti and DT that aren't.
    what are you thinking the noise is???
    Noise not to sure without hearing it top oil leak is normaly the rocker gasket you should be able to fill the holes where the injectors are with water if the level drops the gasket is gone

Non-member Matt@CodeRedMotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Inlet manifold is plastic and is prone to splitting, that's where the oil comes from sometimes, as the boost will push the oil through the gap.
    Run it up on idle and spray brake cleaner over the seam of where the two halves of the manifold are joined and see if it speeds up.
    Alternatively, clean as much oil away and get someone to give it some beans while checking the manifold with a torch.
    Worth a try and free to do.

Post Thanks / Like

injectors are prone to leaking too.... sounds like an annoying ticking noise, if its bad enough you should be able to feel some compression being forced out of one of them, itll also build up an oily carbon residue around the leaking injector.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Could be something as simple as low oil, especially if there is a leak evident.

Cure the leak, change the oil and see f its still there

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    did you see how much it would be to tax it before you bought it?- thats what put me off buying one!
    ticking noise- are you sure its not an exhaust manifold leaking? - give all the nuts a tweak to see if they are tight?
    It's got tax till Nov, but I did look , it may be a fixer to sell or trade against a Touran or Zafira TBH.

Just thought it would get us about till later in the year.

Matt, I saw about the inlet manifolds splitting, may look into that. It's prob got a leaky cam cover/inlet.

Tony, any way of checking the injectors out ?

Andy, will be doing a service on it when repairing the top end leak.

Post Thanks / Like

Just put some spray oil around the injectors and it will blow it back at you when its running if its really bad then there will be loads of carbon around the problem injector

Post Thanks / Like

Had a good look over the car today. Looks like the injector on no3 it leaking as when i cover it with a cloth i can't hear the noise. The strange rattle it there on start up till it gets warm then it goes, so feck knows what that is . Oil leak is pretty bad & sprays everywhere on the drivers side, more to the rear though so will prob replace the gaskets & i think i read somewhere it has some sort of blank that pops off when the inlet pressurises (due to the gasket going usually more than the actual inlet manifd cracking)
    Is the inlet manifold & injector work diy or best left to the pro's ??

Ta

Post Thanks / Like

Fixed all on the fail list.. fingers crossed it will at least have mot later ! Then it's just a small case of the oil leak

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know the best way to bleed off the high pressure fuel lines so I can remove the injectors ?? Seems Renault in their infinite wisdom decided to make the inlet part of the cam cover so all the injectors need to come out to replace a poxy gasket

ta

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Just undo them high pressure but very little volume... plus the pressure doesn't stay there for long. A little fuel will come out just dont put your face near it but it shouldnt squirt more than a couple of inches. Try to keep the injectors in order too IE cylinder 1 injector 1 cylinder 2 injector 2. and dont worry about re-newing pipes they'l be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Walker View Post
    Just undo them high pressure but very little volume... plus the pressure doesn't stay there for long. A little fuel will come out just dont put your face near it but it shouldnt squirt more than a couple of inches. Try to keep the injectors in order too IE cylinder 1 injector 1 cylinder 2 injector 2. and dont worry about re-newing pipes they'l be fine.
    Thanks Tony I look forward to getting covered in diesel then

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know if these engines have a chain driven oil pump ? Just thinking that could be my annoying rattle as it is intermittent like a timing chain...

Can't find a haynes manual

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5teve L View Post
    Does anyone know if these engines have a chain driven oil pump ? Just thinking that could be my annoying rattle as it is intermittent like a timing chain...

Can't find a haynes manual
    Anyone any info on the above, got it running ok after replacing injector seals & inlet manifold gasket, but still got an intermittent rattle like a loose timing chain ??