Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

turbo to manifold gasket

what gasket do you guys use on the standard manifold ?

I recently changed my standard T2 to a T25 but I have a leak from between turbo and manifold. I removed the turbo and both faces are straight. I've used a copper gasket I had cut on water-jet when I serviced my old T2. It used to seal very good, but now I have a leak coming from the upper side of the flange. I've noticed it had taken shape to the surface of the old T2, so maybe I need to cut a new one. Haven't managed to buy one, the only ones I'm finding are the standard rectangular flange type.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: turbo to manifold gasket

maybe retighten turbo nuts while its a bit hot? with glove maybe lol
    Copper should be soft enough to re-seal?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't fit the gaskets there or on the elbow, sometimes leaks slightly when cold but when warm expands and all is air tight.

Post Thanks / Like

I've always seen leakages without using gaskets and with the very common stainless ones. I'm going to try a different type of gasket Thursday / Friday to see if this works. They are an e-bay special, quite cheap and are a metal / asbestalux hybrid, so there's pleanty of give in them.

I'll post some pics up in a min.

Might just do it.

Also I have invested in some binx or earo - nuts and new Studs for the entire exhaust / turbo assembly.

hopefully this will stop it leaking.

I'll let you know.
    Last edited by TNT ANDY; 06-03-2013 at 06:42.

East Midlands Regional Rep Os8472's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TNT ANDY View Post
    I've always seen leakages without using gaskets and with the very common stainless ones. I'm going to try a different type of gasket Thursday / Friday to see if this works. They are an e-bay special, quite cheap and are a metal / asbestalux hybrid, so there's pleanty of give in them.

Might just do it.

Also I have invested in some binx or earo - nuts and new Studs for the entire exhaust / turbo assembly.

I'll let you know.

Everyone slags off those gaskets Andy but I use them and never had a problem with them.

Everyone says if they break up they'll go through the turbo, yes but I'd prefer a fibre board going through than a piece of a metal gasket

Post Thanks / Like

£2.99 exchust paste.. Sorted

Post Thanks / Like

Might just do it.

I'll let you know.
    Ive used those gaskets a few times and the give the best seal ever......... For a day or until a good boosting then the middle blows out and your back to blowing like five dollar hooker.

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Logg View Post
    Ive used those gaskets a few times and the give the best seal ever......... For a day or until a good boosting then the middle blows out and your back to blowing like five dollar hooker.
    I remember seeing your car @ POD Andrew and you had to remove it due to blowing

Post Thanks / Like

Yep that's the one Jim my lad also Marc had the same issue too on the same day.

The sellers response to Marc was well they work fine on 500hp skylines. Don't think the seller was demon Motorsport though.

If you want to try them Andy I've three sat at home I can post to you. But you'll be just making more work for yourself.

I've just used two steel gaskets last week and now there's only a slight blow can only pick it up with the stethoscope and have gained 2 psi in boost. How long they'll last I don't know as I manage to kill the metal ones too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nottswoody View Post
    £2.99 exchust paste.. Sorted
    Dont work.

Post Thanks / Like

I have just got the flat steel gasket is it worth checking both turbo and manifold faces a true and straight we use flat steel gaskets on the great big holst turbos on wagons dont really have problems are you useing locking nuts

Post Thanks / Like

Dont work.
    Really it's been working on my daily for 15months at 1.5bar no issues so far its like concrete.. I used it because it was a new t25 face onto an old manifold.. Nothing else cured it till the paste.. Still on my car today

Post Thanks / Like

I have one of those ebay special gaskets on my manifold. £2.99 delivered or something like that. have had it on for over 1000 miles + with decent boost going through it and its been sound so far ...........tempting fate here

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

problem is the b18ft manifold has a circular port rather than rectangular so neither these gaskets nor the steel ones are any good...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nottswoody View Post
    Really it's been working on my daily for 15months at 1.5bar no issues so far its like concrete.. I used it because it was a new t25 face onto an old manifold.. Nothing else cured it till the paste.. Still on my car today
    Woody me owd fruit, sorry I should have said it dont work on my car lol. I've done it a few times now and it's always blown the fooker out.

This is my next option, thsks G for your post, it's still worth a try.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

those £2.99 gaskets are not worth the postage to send them
    they do blow and will blow sooner or later, if you cant get the flange faces to seal then you need to address the problem ,rather than cover over it. ie skim the face of the flanges in question ,and not overtighten the studs/distort faces. or maybe buy the multi layer steel gaskets, which will have a bit more give in them, that said the single steel gaskets in question have a raised crush ring on them anyway so pretty much should be spot on, unless people are re using them on a distored face and moving the gasket from its original position an the flange faces

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Os8472 View Post
    Everyone slags off those gaskets Andy but I use them and never had a problem with them.

Everyone says if they break up they'll go through the turbo, yes but I'd prefer a fibre board going through than a piece of a metal gasket

the steel gaskets dont break up, full stop.
    and as somebody else has already pointed out, as the system gets hot the expasion between the joints will have sealed any noticable gaps anyway unless you have some serious distortion issues, external wastegates leak, but nobody worrys about them though

if you can hear it blowing chances are its somewhere else

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    I have just got the flat steel gasket is it worth checking both turbo and manifold faces a true and straight we use flat steel gaskets on the great big holst turbos on wagons dont really have problems are you useing locking nuts
    I am this time around.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HAndy View Post
    the steel gaskets dont break up, full stop.
    and as somebody else has already pointed out, as the system gets hot the expasion between the joints will have sealed any noticable gaps anyway unless you have some serious distortion issues, external wastegates leak, but nobody worrys about them though

if you can hear it blowing chances are its somewhere else
    I hear you Andy - I'm giving these a go, If they turn to chocolate then they are an easy part to replace, I've tried everything else so this is the next natural step for me. I'll keep you posted.