Post Thanks / Like

base map, help please! lol

does anyone make sense of this?!?

its supposed to be a base map, i have no clue what it all means, i just want the base to be the same as the renix to start but no idea what means what, its all numbers and left to my own devices i'll destroy my car

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: base map, help please! lol

You mapping it with tps as main load rather than map?

Post Thanks / Like

nope its 3bar map, just shows TPS on the graph

basically where my car is there is no wifi, so i want basemap as close to renix as poss, so at least i can drive it out and around for a bit with it no worse than before,

the nodiz isn't even fitted yet, its powered up on my floor with a jump pack just to get the map off and hopefully start to learn how to understand what it all means

any pointers as to what to change initially greatly recieved, i know its on the car yet but i'd like to be able to fit it, use it and get it mapped properly at a later date

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Grab everything below 101 (ie 101 - 250) and knock 2 degrees off. That should put you in the ballpark.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post
    Grab everything below 101 (ie 101 - 250) and knock 2 degrees off. That should put you in the ballpark.
    thank you! hopefully i can get it to a pro (yourself maybe ) when its all up and running properly, but the distance from mine to yours is not only my anual mileage, but also worth 2 rebuilds to get there going on previous form

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting scaling. Is that default?

Post Thanks / Like

yup its the base map for a gtt supplied on the nodiz... i wanted to see if it could be made any better before even trying it

Post Thanks / Like

Not so much the timing values, but the actual 'Y' (tps/map) scaling.

Non-member Matt@CodeRedMotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Would be interesting to compare that to the "safe" map here.....
    http://www.autosportlabs.org/viewtopic.php?t=1113

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markey b View Post
    thank you! hopefully i can get it to a pro (yourself maybe ) when its all up and running properly, but the distance from mine to yours is not only my anual mileage, but also worth 2 rebuilds to get there going on previous form
    It's worth the trip fella

Post Thanks / Like

hopefully these look a little better

Post Thanks / Like

Had the lad whos mapping mine look at the programme today. He reckons he can map these off the top of his head with this its that easy. By next friday it will be running. Good luck marky b.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Red October View Post
    Had the lad whos mapping mine look at the programme today. He reckons he can map these off the top of his head with this its that easy. By next friday it will be running. Good luck marky b.
    yeah changing stuff is easy if you know what your changing lol

only thing im worried about is that im pretty sure a 3bar map only goes up to 21psi... what happens if (when) boost goes off the map?

Post Thanks / Like

Oh right. The reason of the 3bar map sensor was to give the noDiz a wider scope through the rev range. Pretty pointless using a 3 bar unless your trying 18+psi, I may be wrong but thats how I understood it mark.

Post Thanks / Like

i think Markey b has a tendancy to run alot more than 18psi

East Midlands Regional Rep Os8472's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Walker View Post
    i think Markey b has a tendancy to run alot more than 18psi
    Yeah add another 10psi to that figure and your getting close

Post Thanks / Like

yeah changing stuff is easy if you know what your changing lol

only thing im worried about is that im pretty sure a 3bar map only goes up to 21psi... what happens if (when) boost goes off the map?
    3 bar map sensor should read up to 28/29psI

East Midlands Regional Rep Os8472's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Logg View Post
    Still not enough for Mr B

Post Thanks / Like

I love a bit of boost

Post Thanks / Like

I love a bit of boost
    You staying with the Vnt mate ????

Post Thanks / Like

Really? I thought that would depend on the atmospheric pressure but normally taken as 1 bar. A 3 bar MAP would only give you max 2 bar. Then it depends on its scale of the particular sensor you have. I would have thought at least 0.3bar from the limit, hence, 1.7 bar max to be safe. May be even less if you having boost spiking issues................

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by philr5t View Post
    You staying with the Vnt mate ????
    Yes indeed fella, just bought another one for it lol, don't think I could deal with a normal turbo, more lag and less punch would mean a safety but less exciting car to drive lol

Post Thanks / Like

Yes indeed fella, just bought another one for it lol, don't think I could deal with a normal turbo, more lag and less punch would mean a safety but less exciting car to drive lol
    You should be fine with a 3bar map sensor then as my Vnt maxed out at around 25psi and didn't make anymore power

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Cole View Post
    Really? I thought that would depend on the atmospheric pressure but normally taken as 1 bar. A 3 bar MAP would only give you max 2 bar. Then it depends on its scale of the particular sensor you have. I would have thought at least 0.3bar from the limit, hence, 1.7 bar max to be safe. May be even less if you having boost spiking issues................
    It does depend on atmospheric pressure, but lets just say we are at sea level and we have standard atmospheric pressure (atm). 1 atm = 14.696psi or 1013.25 millibars or 101.325kPa. As we go up in altitude, atm will lower for the same temp and humidity.

We don't need to be that accurate, especially as the actual atm is dependent on the conditions of the day, therefore we will say that 1 atm = 1 bar or 14.7psi, this will leave 29.4psi for boost, based on a 3 bar MAP Sensor.

I have a 4 bar MAP Sensor built in to my Megasquirt, so I can run up to 43psi of boost........ probably for about 5 secs before the engine goes pop!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woznaldo View Post
    It does depend on atmospheric pressure, but lets just say we are at sea level and we have standard atmospheric pressure (atm). 1 atm = 14.696psi or 1013.25 millibars or 101.325kPa. As we go up in altitude, atm will lower for the same temp and humidity.

We don't need to be that accurate, especially as the actual atm is dependent on the conditions of the day, therefore we will say that 1 atm = 1 bar or 14.7psi, this will leave 29.4psi for boost, based on a 3 bar MAP Sensor.

I have a 4 bar MAP Sensor built in to my Megasquirt, so I can run up to 43psi of boost........ probably for about 5 secs before the engine goes pop!

Ok, i'll explain what i meant:

1 bar MAP sensor is capable of reading intake pressures below or equal to atmospheric pressure, for this reason a 1 bar MAP sensor is suitable only for naturally aspirated engines (ie not turbo or supercharged), ie inlet pressure pre boost as in vacuume.

2 bar MAP sensor is usually capable of reading intake pressures up to 1 bar of positive pressure above atmospheric. This is equivalent to around 14.7psi of boost or 100kpa of positive pressure. This sensor is suitable for turbocharged or supercharged vehicles running 15psi of boost or less ie, vacuum plus 14.7psi positive pressure.

3 bar MAP sensor is usually capable of reading intake pressures up to 2 bar of positive pressure above atmospheric . This is equivalent to around 29.4psi of boost or 200kpa of positive pressure. This sensor is suitable for reading positive pressures between between 15psi and 30psi of boost. As stated earlier, it does depend on the scaling. Some nasty sensors only read up to 3.8 or so volts.

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Matt you've lost me on that one, you're saying a 3 bar sensor is capable of reading 2 bar positive pressure? But then that's what you are questioning when logg said the same thing above?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ashy View Post
    Matt you've lost me on that one, you're saying a 3 bar sensor is capable of reading 2 bar positive pressure? But then that's what you are questioning when logg said the same thing above?
    No im not im agreeing with logg

The main point im making is some sensors scale differently and dont actually do 2 bar.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ashy View Post
    Sorry Matt, as per Ashy, I only posted my waffle as I thought you didn't think it could read 2 bar (29.4psi) of positive pressure?

Post Thanks / Like

I think what Matt was getting at is that even though a 3 bar map sensor can read 28/29psi- 2 bar positive pressure. due to atmospheric losses and wanting a safety margin you wouldn't run that pressure but probably 26/27psi.

Mark if you was to run more boost than the sensor could read you'd map highest point of the map for your actual max boost level. But that wouldn't be advisable as you'd loose your safety of having a over boost cut and control the map between 29psi to say 34psi. But the Cossie boys seem to do that.

Post Thanks / Like

I love this - why don't map manufacturers just sell 3 bar map sensors as 2 bar map sensors and save the confusion. This is very much a Spinal Tap moment, 'this one goes upto 11'

I know the reasons btw, we don't suffer too much over here in ol Blighty with variance of ATM. It'd just save confusion, that's all I'm saying.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TNT ANDY View Post
    I love this - why don't map manufacturers just sell 3 bar map sensors as 2 bar map sensors and save the confusion. This is very much a Spinal Tap moment, 'this one goes upto 11'

I know the reasons btw, we don't suffer too much over here in ol Blighty with variance of ATM. It'd just save confusion, that's all I'm saying.
    That would be more confusing, to have a "2 bar" map sensor with a range of 3 bars Best to leave it as it is I think

Post Thanks / Like

I think what Matt was getting at is that even though a 3 bar map sensor can read 28/29psi- 2 bar positive pressure. due to atmospheric losses and wanting a safety margin you wouldn't run that pressure but probably 26/27psi.

Mark if you was to run more boost than the sensor could read you'd map highest point of the map for your actual max boost level. But that wouldn't be advisable as you'd loose your safety of having a over boost cut and control the map between 29psi to say 34psi. But the Cossie boys seem to do that.
    Theres some manufacturer info on the web somewhere from Bosch relating to some of their OEM sensors. Im sure there was some graphs showing the relation between voltage and pressure.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the datasheet for the 3 bar weber marelli is on my website somewhere. It's linear up to 29psi, some sensors are log so you need to be carefull.