Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

One more gt turbo restoration

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Hi guys, just got my car this weekend, not bad considering I bought it at the end of january. I bought it as a result of an argument with my girlfriend. We are renting at the minute but plan to buy our own house so saving money is kind of the aim, but, she keeps a horse and always has and it just isn't economical right now. So, I decided I would like a hobby aswell, and the 5 is going to be that hobby. B****. Jokes, she's not bad really

So anyway, this is my 3rd 5, started with a campus, got a GTL? Was 1.4 with a single choke webber, 68bhp I think. But I have always wanted a turbo in tungsten grey. So I bought a tasty subaru blue R5 that quite obviously needed work, but it wouldn't be fun if they didn't

Haven't had much time from it got here to get a good look round it but I have a list of what it needs body wise. Have a few pics, they aren't great but I should get a few better ones through the week when I move it out of the garage.

Few of the rust, will be needing new arch peices and sills for welding. Also, where the plastic trim is off the arch you can see it was origionally a tungsten

Maybe the best part of the car here, sun roof with no rust

Will post some more up soon. This won't be a quick turn around I don't think, just going to take my time and do it properly, restore it back to how it came out of the factory.

Thought I might show my phones screen saver and back ground courtesy of pascals gtt

Post Thanks / Like

Re: One more gt turbo restoration

Good luck with the project

Looks like the normal rust spots, Ashy on here use to make iner sill repair panels and rear bumper ones he might have some left and here's a link to some outers for half the normal price (£80 a pair rather than a side ) bit of luck they might have some left.

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=30411

Trader
    GT Turbo Spares co.uk
    South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice to see another one being saved.

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks a good project mate, sills all need doing on most 5's these days. Recently got some for mine at a good price, £43.05 aside delivered, Good luck

http://www.nationalspares.com

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

It doesn't seem that bad to be honest, I will get the sills replaced and the bumper bracket plates welded in. I'm considering replacing the whole driver side rear quarter, going to remove the rear windows to check for rust there, chances are that it will be rusted and it might just be easier to do the whole panel. There's a dent in aswell that you can see in the pic.

Checked out those replacement sills so I will be having some of those next month unless I can find the cash in the next few weeks.

Might be selling a few things that i don't want from it like the t25, group a carb, in car boost adjuster, I'm sure theres more bits in bobs but I will list it all in the classifieds later.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi guys, not much to update, apart from i have ordered up some sills and still stripping what i dont want off the car.

Looked through a file full of receipts i got with the car and found an RTOC members letter. Does anybody remember the car? The reg is F218 TTR. Maybe aomeone about here knows something about it?

Post Thanks / Like

Think saw this on ebay about a month ago, did it come with no keys as they got taken from door pocket of other car or something?!

Sills are getting bit thin on the ground, well at decent price as the cgb ones are £60 aside plus vat&delivery, and other sills off ebay are daft money.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea, thats the one. The no keys thing was a pain in the backside, was working trying to get the steering rack off with the mother of all hangovers on the only day thats had sun over here all year just so i could get it up the drive into the garage lol.

Yea, everythings startin to get a bit thin on the ground, don't see many interiors and things up for sale, good panels and fittings seem hard to come by aswell. They definitely seem to be a bit of an investment now if you can hold onto a good one for long enough.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Presents...............

Carpet, steering wheel, centre console.

Pioneer ke2090

Rear arches and both sideskirts.

Parts list is getting smaller. Thats last months pay gone though, roll on payday so I can get some more panels sorted for some welding. On that note, ordered some sills from national spares about 22nd of last month and they haven't come yet. I know people have dealt with them before so I sent them an email and hopefully be here soon.

I got another radio with the pioneer but its a JVC KS-FX650R, to be honest, when I bout the 2 i thought they where both gonna be pioneers but I paid more on postage than I did for both together so I'm not that bothered. Anyone know anything about the JVC, what cars used it?

Post Thanks / Like

Nice collection of spares there, sourcing and paying for them is half the battle lol then just the fitting, welding etc to do. Might be worth giving National Spares a call if you havent had a reply to you e-mail. My sill took about 4 days

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Another quick update, finally got y sills from national spares. ( http://store.nationalspares.co.uk/ ), I have to say they were a great help. The first set they sent got lost in the post and they had absolutely no problem offering yo send a second batch. Would definitely recomend them for any of those rusty projects that need some sills. The metal quality is excellent aswell.

This will be the end of the buying for another month as I'm moving to a better house with a much better garage for the 5. Need to buy a few more bits and peices for the welding which will be sorted this summer, then up to my mates spray shop late summer early autumn. Then build it back up. Sorted.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you got them eventually, mine is still wrapped up lol good luck with the move mate

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I wrapped mine back up, they were never going to get damaged the way they were packaged, great service.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you think my garage roof frame could take the weight of an engine? I dont have the luxury of an engine lift but i do have a jack that would lift the car up enough to tie the engine to the beams. I could then drop the car without the engine. Job done.

Next stage of the project is to rebuild the suspension. So once engines out, i can send the subframe for powder coating, replace wishbones, track rod ends, bushes, bolts, coilovers and whatever else looks like it could break. Will be havin a set of konis. The car currently has coilovers on it atm but it hasnt moved for 2 years or so, so id rather replace them. The old ones would maybe do someone for a cheap track car or something.

Iv already spent a small gortune on parts, and its hard sticking to one area of the build, i keep seeing nice things that i dont need yet and buy them lol.

Anyway, its still moving forward. Sweeet

Ps, example of nice things being bought, have a deposit down with a friend on a set of these with black centres

Ronal cross spokes, 3 peice splits, 13x7 i think

Post Thanks / Like

Be lighter to drop subframe and lift/tilt car up lol

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd be tempted to run some more timbers from wall plate to wall plate either side of the truss then bolt them all together then it would probably hold!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JRP View Post
    Be lighter to drop subframe and lift/tilt car up lol
    I was going to say this, then noticed I'd been beaten to it I was able to lift my car up from the front and wheel it about like a wheel barrow once the engine and suspension etc was unbolted.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Think i might have a go at that tomorrow. Who needs the gym, might start bench pressin the 5 lol