Post Thanks / Like

IDEA??? RTOC Number Plate sir/madam?

I am trying to gauge interest in who and how many number plates we could make up for members and non-members.

My idea is to rent a number plate machine and purchase blank number plates and fixings (screws with plastic caps). There is an outlay for this and may also require a licence. If this takes off, we (RTOC) will be able to make up number plates for members and non-members and have the RTOC logo stamped at the bottom of each plate, with our email address/website/contact details too.

My thoughts are, this will actually make money (plates will cost us about £4 or £5 but these retail for £16.99 in shops!, so I was thinking between £10-£15). Dont want to rip off members whilst also making the club money. And not to mention the publicity this would generate.

Has anyone got any thoughts about this? Would this work? would you buy your number plate from us?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: IDEA??? RTOC Number Plate sir/madam?

There are over 1300 guys on ebay all doing it. Prices start from a fiver a plate. No licence needed if they are show plates.
    Could you not contact one of them and ask if they will do it for you rather than outlay on equipment and space to knock out 50 plates.
    A lot of guys on here have the French pressed plates aswell.

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually selling plates legally is a lot of work and wont be worthwhile for the club. The laws stating what information you need to get off the people first, and what to record on the system when selling a plate

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a good idea. I know for a fact that you will need a licence to make them legaly. I bet that's not cheap :-/

Post Thanks / Like

If you want just show plates

http://www.sandhurstautoprint.co.uk

These are who we deal with for our plates if we can not make them at the branches.

Post Thanks / Like

Good responses guys! I think you are all right, this could be a waste of time and money if it didnt work.... Darn you eBay

I assume a 'show plate' is one without the GB badge?

Post Thanks / Like

Show plates normally have to show this plate is for show only at the bottom, might not be right. Plates to be legal have to have correct spacing, sizes and have a post code at the bottom from where the you got the plate made up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
    Show plates normally have to show this plate is for show only at the bottom, might not be right. Plates to be legal have to have correct spacing, sizes and have a post code at the bottom from where the you got the plate made up.
    You are probably correct, however I have ordered loads of them off ebay and they have never shown this. Other than the makers stamp at the bottom missing they are identical to plates on a new car unless you want a differant font or size.

This is a show plate

Post Thanks / Like

i had some show plates on my scooby and they are a MOT failure, they were identical to a legal plate minus a postcode and a bs number, replaced by "boysies scooby" instead

Any legal plate needs your log book producing before there made, and require all the right spacing and stuff like bigfoot said

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm, would need a license to do this properly then, I'll look into this...

But as an initial costing, £50 for equipment, £40 for the license and say £60 for blank plates (15 plates) = £10 per plate to break even.

Do we have 15 peeps who would buy plates at £10 each? No point in proceeding further if the interest is not there
    • Romil Davda x 2 Plates (13 to go...)

Post Thanks / Like

Romil Davda x 2 Plates (13 to go...)

Westy94.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

When I worked with comercial vehicles we had the gear to make plates. The licence was free, we had to register with some vosa division or other. All plates need to bare the manufacturers details (IE who actually makes the reflective plate) as well as the printers details (us) and the usual BSAU145d. We also had to see the V5 along with ID, and keep a log of the details. I don't think it would be possible to legally produce plates over the web ? Maybe there is some system in place for that now.

It was the software that was the expensive part. "LG Signs" I think it was called. I tried using some normal graphics softwares but none of them could print the high depth black toner on to the acetate as well as LG Signs. And anything less than perfect toner coverage and the reflective backing would show through.

It was also a ballache to actually put them together without trapping dust or getting finger prints on them. There was a knack to it, and being able to align the acetate with the sticky reflective plate.

All in all it was not at all worth while. We packed it in after 12 months. ! So unless we could get the gear and software very cheap I don't think it could take off.

Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks Chris (Scoff)... I think that sums this one up.

Anybody else got a potential money making idea for the club?

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Romil Davda View Post
    Many thanks Chris (Scoff)... I think that sums this one up.

Anybody else got a potential money making idea for the club?
    Do what most people do, lie, bullsh1t and blag... To do anything useful or that might turn a profit you really have to stick to what you know.. Picking up someone else's trade isn't easy..

My friend got a tshirt iron and image cutter, pretty basic but made me some tshirts for a few quid.. You can get fruits of the loom tshirts for near £1, get some simple design and press it on.. He done us out NDay hoodies, they were about £7 before printing on.

Do that, it's pretty straight forward.