Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

A few newby questions

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Bare with me here guys, just got a few questions to get me started.

Firstly my coolant level is very low. What should I be topping it up with or should I just replace the lot? If so will just any coolant do or something specific?
    Also I havent heard the fan kick in yet. What temp should it start up?

My oil level is also very low. Same question as above, should I just top it up or replace it all. If so with what?

My interior fan doesnt work and I think the bearings gone in it. Where is the best place to get one from? Or can it be repaired?

My speedo doesnt work. Ive checked the back of the clocks and everything seems okay there, where else should I be looking. What would be the most obvious cause?

And I think thats all for now

Thanks in advance

Ryan

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: A few newby questions

Depends on how long the car has not had a change, or knowing how much anti-freeze is in the car.

If you are not sure best thing is to drain it completely and flush it through with a hose to get rid of any crap in the system. Fill up with red anti-freeze. Make sure you bleed this properly by undoing the bleed nipples and by either holding up the expansion tank or blowing into it till a flow of water is coming out of each nipple.

Oil level likewise with coolant, use 10w40 semi, doesn't matter which really as change it regular is better for these cars.

Interior fan can be a number of issues but if it does sound like bearing is gone just pull out the fan from within the engine bay and put another one in.

Check all the way along the speedo connector wire, runs across back of engine bay, down passenger strut then over gearbox into back of it, it runs close to turbo and can melt the wire stopping it from working. Else try another set of clocks to see if that is the case.

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Just buy the cheapest blue coolant - that'll be fine. It might be worth flushing the system out to make sure it's 100%. The fan should kick in just before the 3rd line.

If the heater fan is totally dead it could be the resister in the heater box. If its just nosey it'll be the bearings. Pull the fan out and check for 12v between the contacts.

Oil wise 10w40 semi is fine. Changed it regularly with the filter.

Speedo, checked the connection near the N/S suspension turret. Unplug it a few times and ckean the terminals.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi everyone,

So im sorted with the coolant and oil.

Got the speedo sorted, it was just a dodgy connection exactly where you said!

So when I got the car the boost hose from turbo to intercooler was split. I got some second hand silicone hoses with the intention of replaceing both as the other one has been butchered to fit the dump valve.
    The only thing is the new hose is doesnt have the fitting for the anti-perc fan. Do I need a different hose or can you do without the anti-perc fan connection?

Also the car has been leaking in water, so I stripped out the seats and carpet etc. It was coming through the heater fan! Is there supposed to be a cover over the fan to stop the water getting in? Does anyone have a picture of it?

Ive attached a pic of my new and old hoses and my fan. Hopefully!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

You can do away with the anti perc fan all together if you want. And there is supposed to be basket type thing over the motor and also some large plastic scuttle covers over the battery and the O/S scuttle cover to stop the water gettng in

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by THERMT View Post

Hi everyone,

So im sorted with the coolant and oil.

Got the speedo sorted, it was just a dodgy connection exactly where you said!

So when I got the car the boost hose from turbo to intercooler was split. I got some second hand silicone hoses with the intention of replaceing both as the other one has been butchered to fit the dump valve.
    The only thing is the new hose is doesnt have the fitting for the anti-perc fan. Do I need a different hose or can you do without the anti-perc fan connection?

Also the car has been leaking in water, so I stripped out the seats and carpet etc. It was coming through the heater fan! Is there supposed to be a cover over the fan to stop the water getting in? Does anyone have a picture of it?

Ive attached a pic of my new and old hoses and my fan. Hopefully!
    Yes there should be as kris said a little like plastic basket cover over the fan but thats more to protect anything going into fan have you got antifreeze in car it could be heater matrix leaking is it antifreeze leaking into car mate also you dont have to use antiperc fan but thats up to you mate

Non-member Matt@CodeRedMotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Check the plastic cover over the scuttle.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Its definatley not anti freeze. Okay thanks guys.
    Will mike sell these covers?

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

He should have those covers, picked them up on eBay for £15 delivered new, every now and then, not sure what sort of price from renault but more than likely around that sort of money maybe a few quid less.

Covering the fan will just be second hand

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you losing water from the header tank? If so, it's prob your heater matrix inside the car leaking

Non-member Matt@CodeRedMotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by THERMT View Post

Its definatley not anti freeze. Okay thanks guys.
    Will mike sell these covers?

Trader
    GT Turbo Spares co.uk
    South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes keep them in stock