Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Clio 172 Calipers....what do they fit?

So, I have interchanged some 1994 Renault 19 TD front calipers with the ones on the front of my 1981 Fuego, they fit and work OK. (The calipers look different and the bolts are quite long through the width of the body on the original ones, the 19 ones have the shorter bolts that we're used to).

Are the 172 front calipers anywhere near a fit for the same hub arrangement? The 172 has the same basic front end setup of years past....5, 9, 11, 19, lower spec 21's. The stud fittings match so discs will slap straight on....what about the calipers? Do they fit straight on a five? If so they'll go on the Fuego too, and thats an easy 280mm upgrade.

Yes, i have a 172 here but if you can answer for me it saves me taking off the hanger lol

Also, would you believe a Clio V6 330mm front disc is a perfect fit for a 21 Turbo if you open out the torx retainer hole by a mere couple of mm?

Non-member Matt@CodeRedMotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clio 172 Calipers....what do they fit?

172 calipers will not fit a standard R5gtt hub.
    But, you can use 172hubs on an R5gtt if you machine the strut to hub fixing, then you can use the discs and calipers etc.....
    I have recently stripped off the front hubs to my extra van and looking at them, I'm fairly sure the 172 calipers could be mounted on them...... I'll check to make sure next time I'm up the workshop and I'll add to my 'random rumblings' thread.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@CodeRedMotorsports View Post
    172 calipers will not fit a standard R5gtt hub.
    I don't suppose you know why do you? Bolt spacing?

Fuego hubs are very different to 5/9/11/Clio hubs...best pic I can find right now is below but a hub change is a 100% no-no

Non-member Matt@CodeRedMotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll find out the spacing a for you.
    Ah, I see what you mean by no option on chaining hubs.....