• rallyday - castle combe

1 2.27%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Non-member Matt@CodeRedMotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Possible events, have your say

Quote Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
    No fee, no website. It's not for free. And do you mean pay someone to run it? We don't really have anyone to run it now. I do my best to keep it ticking over, as do a few others. Scoff helps when he can, especially when it's gone critical and a meltdown is about to happen that no-one else can prevent.
    So I'm guessing a Facebook page where people can exchange information, buy and sell bits etc is good for a club and its forum

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think this has anything to do with a day at the drag strip being a Nat Day, this is just a debate about why drag strip events are always forgot about over track days from what I see

Post Thanks / Like

They aren't .
    We have had a track based Nat day for the past few years ,before that it was all Pod or Brunt ?
    What do the Track boys do for the rest of the year ? They tag along to other events .
    It does boil down to NAT Day being one or the other because

THE CLUB CAN NO LONGER AFFORD TO DO BOTH AS THERE IS NOT ENOUGH SUPPORT FROM THE MEMBERSHIP

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Before anyone jumps on my back I was one of the committee that Ian referred to as wanting a Friday POD day last year but I was in the minority. I loved the POD days but had to concede that the numbers just DON'T stack up....

Look at Malory a few years back, it would of been a disaster if non members hadn't bought tickets - but members complained there were too many non Renos on track.

The test and tune day that miller arranged was on the face of it a low risk option with only 40 tickets purchased - but again the RTOC members only managed 9 tickets.

As Alex says there may not even be a ND14 if we carry on in this vein. Who's going to arrange it? Due to the way the members make demands on the committee there's not going to be any left shortly, Millar, Stu, Dawn, Clee and now Steve.... The new guys are getting a baptism of fire too!

Dave, Phil, Ted - perhaps the way forward is to speak to POD see what your options are, test and tune / rwyb tag along, exclusive day or a.n.other? Then put a thread up gauging interest from the members and put a justification forward to the committee. If it can be justified as a small loss / break even then the club may be able to support you in terms of buying tickets upfront, advertising etc...

Perhaps that's the best way to handle all events in future.

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You can't call it one sided when we had a vote!

No one said you HAVE to tag along with another event but financially I can't see any other way you could do it these days?

Yes it's been said we can't book Pod over a weekend - I hear that. Is there no movement on this at all? Even if it was ND? Still way too small I guess? We used to have ND there and it always seemed popular.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    You obviously did - 'Yourself' was meant in the generic term. You'll also note I said elsewhere 'why doesn't someone organise...', be it that someone be anyone from the Committee, the Events guys, or any rtoc members.

Whoever organises it, means zilch really - It'll still be a club event; just one that might or might not be funded from the coffers.

I'm so glad I've wasted christ knows how many minutes typing all these posts, trying to explain the fecking obvious...
    Well I am very sorry to have waisted your precious time...

I'm pretty sure I said further up lets not get into a keyboard warrior match?? But still you continue! There was no need to mention about organising one, as to me that's just obvious, no? (That's why I said it was pointless).

And low and behold I said to Phil let's just organise our own and Ian had stepped up and said it'll do nothing to promote the club! (Which btw was my other point abut the pointless post you made)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm having no part in this anymore

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ashy View Post

Dave, Phil, Ted - perhaps the way forward is to speak to POD see what your options are, test and tune / rwyb tag along, exclusive day or a.n.other? Then put a thread up gauging interest from the members and put a justification forward to the committee. If it can be justified as a small loss / break even then the club may be able to support you in terms of buying tickets upfront, advertising etc...

Perhaps that's the best way to handle all events in future.
    Marky, maybe you could help with the above?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clee View Post
    They aren't .
    We have had a track based Nat day for the past few years ,before that it was all Pod or Brunt ?
    What do the Track boys do for the rest of the year ? They tag along to other events .
    It does boil down to NAT Day being one or the other because

THE CLUB CAN NO LONGER AFFORD TO DO BOTH AS THERE IS NOT ENOUGH SUPPORT FROM THE MEMBERSHIP
    If national day was at a certain place where there was enough space and REAL help/manpower, there surely is the opportunity to have a track layout in the morning and a drag lane in the afternoon? Or am I just on drugs again.....

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Markey Mark (BD) View Post
    I'm having no part in this anymore
    Yep I'm out too....

It's all sorted what's happening now so ill do what I always do and go to my own events, simples.

Post Thanks / Like

Depends what type of day it is ,funday or hardcore track/strip .
    The whole point regards Pod is it's a full prep track etc and you get loads of runs .
    There is a way and we've done it with RAOC with only 10 or so members chipping in ....It probably won't please the ' Professional Racers ' in either camp though but tbh they are in the minority and perhaps a less intimidating event would bring more of the less vocal members in

Bruntingthorpe ......We split the day ....Drag, 2 mile top speed runs etc 0-60 in the morning then full track in the afternoon .We have struggled to fill this of late so not happened but .......RAOC have MSA recognition ( something I suggested we apply for ages ago ) and I'm sure Between the two clubs a Bigger better Renault Turbo event could be organised .
    I'd be quite happy to try and pull that together for 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Nice one clee, I personally don't have a problem with joining up with other renault based clubs if it gauruntees a good event, plus nice to see something other than just renault 5 gtts.
    Last edited by Matt@CodeRedMotorsports; 10-02-2013 at 11:15. Reason: My iPhone makes my spelling bad.

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Reed View Post
    Yep I'm out too....

It's all sorted what's happening now so ill do what I always do and go to my own events, simples.
    Funny that, the committee get battered from all angles every year about these events, after spending large amounts of their own time to organise, and are just expected to take it without getting p!ssed off.

You guys get a constructive response to your questions and because its not what you want to hear you throw your toys out the pram.

Grow up FFS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Reed View Post
    Well I am very sorry to have waisted your precious time...

I'm pretty sure I said further up lets not get into a keyboard warrior match?? But still you continue! There was no need to mention about organising one, as to me that's just obvious, no? (That's why I said it was pointless).

And low and behold I said to Phil let's just organise our own and Ian had stepped up and said it'll do nothing to promote the club! (Which btw was my other point abut the pointless post you made)

It's a discussion, not a kb warrior match. Have I posted anything argumentative to say otherwise? Maybe calling people's posts 'pointless' when they're simply trying to help might not help matters eh?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@CodeRedMotorsports View Post
    Nice one clee, I personally don't have a problem with joining up with other renault based clubs if it garuntees a good event, plus nice to see something other than just renault 5 gtts.
    It wouldn't be RAOC event ,it's just they have all the legals in place to do it and I'm sure would help and get a wider audience .Renault would also more than likely step up to help .They do for a few RAOC attendances already ,Bromely,La Vie etc
    Public liabilty insurance etc + MSA so can record times etc and run the day .We would have to look into marshaling and loads of other logistics .

Post Thanks / Like

It's like the Show & Shine bollox all over again. Sad days

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

It wouldn't be RAOC event ,it's just they have all the legals in place to do it and I'm sure would help and get a wider audience .Renault would also more than likely step up to help .They do for a few RAOC attendances already ,Bromely,La Vie etc
    Public liabilty insurance etc + MSA so can record times etc and run the day .We would have to look into marshaling and loads of other logistics .
    Well worth looking into mate, a solution to keep everyone happy would be awesome!

Post Thanks / Like

Same **** different thread .Lot of talk but no-one saying anything .Should would could ....
    That's the way of forums though .All get together round a table and it'd be sorted out in half a day

Post Thanks / Like

Same **** different thread .Lot of talk but no-one saying anything .Should would could ....
    That's the way of forums though .All get together round a table and it'd be sorted out in half a day
    Maybe 2014 ND/rtoc events should be the main topic for discussion at this year's AGM? (assuming there is one).

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't read all of his thread, but did someone mention going to the dieppe factory at one point?

Post Thanks / Like

On a plus side to all this we all most have 40 votes for the other events

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems that several people have had the same idea at the same time.

What we do is treat a FRIDAY POD DAY as a RTOC group buy.

People pay up front in full for, say, £100. If we have enough buyers we can go ahead and book the day at no risk to the club.

In the unlikely occurrence that a lot more tickets sell that is needed to meet the cost, then a partial refund could be done.

No refund if it rains.

Does that sound fair and reasonable and give you all what you want

People who will pay maybe £100 for a Friday Pod day enter you names here:
    Taken from the above few posts is it correct to assume:
    Dave
    Mark
    Phil
    Ted

Nottswoody
    GT Josh?
    soapymech?
    SteveL?

So we need another 42.

Post Thanks / Like

CLee, isn't Brunters quite expensive, £16k or something?

Did RAOC book only part of it?

Can't the same idea be exploited for this years Blyton day? Have the RAOC as part of the event, legally it would be an RAOC event, and then people can have timed laps?

Post Thanks / Like

It seems that several people have had the same idea at the same time.
    Nice try, if you mean me 'Matt' I don't do drag racing. I like corners.
    In fact there is only one think I dislike more than drag racing, and that's watching it.

Edited

I used to get some fun from the braking and the left turn at the end of the strip.
    Last edited by Matt@CodeRedMotorsports; 10-02-2013 at 12:56.

Post Thanks / Like

CLee, isn't Brunters quite expensive, £16k or something?

Did RAOC book only part of it?

Can't the same idea be exploited for this years Blyton day? Have the RAOC as part of the event, legally it would be an RAOC event, and then people can have timed laps?
    God no !! ...well at least I assume not .

We pretty much had the run of the track/runway apart from the occasional race team out testing bikes/cars .
    10 of us paid about 90 quid each for the weekday .
    I'll ask Dellboy and sound him out

Post Thanks / Like

i havnt read all of this thread so please dont shoot me down if im repeating someone but if you are trying to combine a track and strip day would it not be easier to hold the event at a track and then have a make shift strip,
    i know it wouldnt be ideal espec for the big boys but roughly speaking a long tape measure, starting lights/flags and some timing gear (which i think you can hire) and you would have a basic strip.
    Also the fact that it would be a "homemade strip" may incourage some members to have a go instead of lining up at the lights of pod with lots of eyes watching your every shift !

then the track lot will have the track as per norm.

If you were to hold it at pod/shakespehere etc i think the room would be restricted and the makeshift track would basically be a solo/sprint/handling circuit through some cones which may get busy/boring for some :/

may help numbers as you will hopefully have the drag lot and the track lot all coming plus gives everyone a chance to see/partake in both if they wish?

Post Thanks / Like

God no !! ...well at least I assume not.......weekday
    Ah, not a weekend. Here why I thought £16k, that was the total spend at the RTOC Brunters day, Brunters itself was about £12k. But extras were needed: see 2006: https://www.rtoc.org/files/?path=Club...Meeting%20day/

Post Thanks / Like

Jesus H feckin Christ !!!
    Someone surely got their pants pulled down on that one .It's an airfield circuit
    No way can that stack up .You only have to look at the Mallory costs to know that

Post Thanks / Like

ouch! thats some expensive tarmac!

the jap clubs (mlr i think) hold an event and then invite the gtr and scooby lot.
    could we not do this but invite other turbo'd renault clubs?21,gta's etc? or maybe just other other renaults.
    could strike up some friendly club score board or such?also might drum up some club intrest and help split the hire costs?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mike r5 gtt View Post

the jap clubs (mlr i think) hold an event and then invite the gtr and scooby lot.
    could we not do this but invite other turbo'd renault clubs?21,gta's etc? or maybe just other other renaults.
    could strike up some friendly club score board or such?also might drum up some club intrest and help split the hire costs?
    I have said this twice in this thread already but I have Martinitous (invisible post syndrome)

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

MLR actually run a sprint series within the club they don,t invite anyone there are 20 allocated places for scoobynet which they pay for if these aren,t filled MLR fill the places,Mlr also run well organised trackdays with free tuition and a tyre support truck and do a drag strip events one is coming up at RAF Marham imo RTOC events fall short of organised events on MLR just doesn,t seem to get the numbers on Rtoc events

Post Thanks / Like

It's been tried in the past. The 21toc and the raoc don't want to know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The new Bill J View Post
    Do they give you a reason why what about cliosport or other french car clubs ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    Do they give you a reason why what about cliosport or other french car clubs ?
    As far as I know, they prefer to stay in their own groups/clubs. clee and DaveL485 are the ones to ask though, as they're members of the other clubs.

We did do some 'joint club' track days a few years back with the Peugeot 306 lot. We didn't seem to get on too well, if the threads on both forums afterwards were anything to go by

Post Thanks / Like

As far as I know, they prefer to stay in their own groups/clubs. clee and DaveL485 are the ones to ask though, as they're members of the other clubs.

We did do some 'joint club' track days a few years back with the Peugeot 306 lot. We didn't seem to get on too well, if the threads on both forums afterwards were anything to go by
    Oh lol what about trying new clubs that we havent before someone mentioned haveing 80s/90s theme

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

TBH looking at this and attending all the National days for the last ten years you will always have minimal numbers,no other clubs are interested you will get a few from cliosport for the cheap track time but attendance is always low either holidays are booked,distance,costs whatever the reasons it will never be everyone turning up thats the way it is always has been IMO

Post Thanks / Like

seems a shame we all have a common interest

i could prob drum up some intrest from the twingo lot but most of them are fans of stickers or detailing as opposed to track time, and we know how show and shines end

Post Thanks / Like

I'm no expert in this as I'm quite a new member to speak of but obviously we can't afford both events, possibly even one of our own. We need to be looking at being involved with other clubs, I think it would be better if there is some variation from just r5's as much as I love them!

Brunters sounds good, I'm a track fan but also like a bit of 1/4 mile. Need to cater for both.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishey View Post
    I'm no expert in this as I'm quite a new member to speak of but obviously we can't afford both events, possibly even one of our own. We need to be looking at being involved with other clubs, I think it would be better if there is some variation from just r5's as much as I love them!

Brunters sounds good, I'm a track fan but also like a bit of 1/4 mile. Need to cater for both.
    Myself and ross are getting us into other shows, hill climb ,track days,drag raceing,static events just to try and mix it up abit it is also excellent advertiseing and hopefully a good laugh

Committee Member
    Events
    Post Thanks / Like

I think a post on the megane forum might be a good call. From what I gather, it's a large club with people who do trackdays and drag events so they might be quite a good group to go with.

Also the buzz word on this thread appears to be 'pod day'.

Does it have to be the pod? I don't personally know but I would assume that Avon park, York raceway and north weald would be cheaper but at the cost of a less central location and less track prep.
    What I can say though is that at the 'retro show' at the pod you should easily get 10-15 runs in for your £20. I usually do around ten with plenty of the day to spare (I get on the track as soon as its open)

I'm equally happy blatting down the quarter as I am around a track so it personally makes no odds to me.

I think it's fair to say that there are a few long serving committee members who are thoroughly pissed off at the general response they get for their efforts. It's no easy task organising something like national day and I thought the last one was great. Likewise all the other roles that go unappreciated.

Just my thoughts....

Ross

Post Thanks / Like

I would say to that, Retro show it is then

Do those vocal few object to that or will it suffice as the RTOC Pod day this year?

Weekend
    Plenty of runs
    Prep'd track?
    own cosy area
    camping?
    other cars to look at.

no risk to the club finances?
    even if it rains?

I seem to recall that the RTOC FRIDAY Pod day preceded the Retro show one time? Some people stayed over and ran on the Saturday and camped on the sat night??

Post Thanks / Like

Do those vocal few object to that or will it suffice as the RTOC Pod day this year?

Weekend
    Plenty of runs
    Prep'd track?
    own cosy area
    camping?
    other cars to look at.

even if it rains?

I seem to recall that the RTOC FRIDAY Pod day preceded the Retro show one time? Some people stayed over and ran on the Saturday and camped on the sat night??
    I'll be attending Retro Show anyway, if cars done would be running either way so all the better if a few others turn up

Post Thanks / Like

Weekend
    Plenty of runs
    Prep'd track?
    own cosy area
    camping?
    other cars to look at.

even if it rains?

When it joined the retro show that year, and there was that v8 ford pop running ohhh dreamy!! Anyway ... That was a real good turn out on the Friday, great night and Saturday was a blast!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JRP View Post
    When it joined the retro show that year, and there was that v8 ford pop running ohhh dreamy!! Anyway ... That was a real good turn out on the Friday, great night and Saturday was a blast!
    I havent been to this particuler show before but does look good and lots of diffrent cars to see it will be good camping aswell lets hope its dry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Markey Mark (BD) View Post
    I'll be attending Retro Show anyway, if cars done would be running either way so all the better if a few others turn up

or saturday night special on the 4th may

Post Thanks / Like

There's already a list https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthrea...291#post314291

Post Thanks / Like

One thing that is fairly obvious is that there will be no exclusive pod hire this year and in all honesty If the club funds are as low as they are I can't see it happening next year either.

I think combining a track event with a drag strip isn't the way to go, unless the drag strip is a "proper" surface. When I go to pod I don't race the car next to me, I race the clock and my goal is to improve my terminal speed and hence my time, I can't speak for all the people who go to pod but with any other kind of surface the above just isn't going to happen. It's all about building the car/engine myself and extracting as much power out of it as I can, and the drag strip is the definitive way to test this.

I'm perfectly happy to combine the clubs pod day with the retro show, as long as it's not like last years where It was over an hour in the que between runs, no time to make any changes or do any fettling of any kind. Not to mention the fact you don't actually get to watch anything as your queuing up literally all day.

I was under the impression that last year was going to be fairly quiet being a test and tune day and we were unlucky that the massive vw show ended up being on that weekend and that just packed the place out hence the huge que.

Could we not take funds for say the cost of a test and tune day ticket but not actually purchase any from pod then actually decide what date we go for once pod has most of the shows booked up for the year, then we can try to pick as quiet a weekend as possible and get as much track time as possible with a fully prepd track. That way there is no financial risk to the club and we get a fairly quite track. Last years idea was good in principle it just wasn't the best of timing and organization.

I'm not having a dig at anyone and I think all of the committee and events organizers do a great job considering it's in their own time, and what has happened with regards to more people helping out with events can only be a good thing for the club.

Post Thanks / Like

The year we had the Friday before the Retro show was a good day, then we had the camping & the Retro show the next day. If something similar could be arranged for next year maybe ??
    Or are we now destined to 'tag on' to other events/test & tune ?

Post Thanks / Like

Test and tune days suck arse. Nothing for spectators
    Need to have our own event or join onto a proper show. I won't go to test and tune ever again as its boring.

Post Thanks / Like

I can see the reasoning behind it, test an tune is a tenner to just watch and something like the retro event gives people much more to look at. If your not running or after a p.b then yes test an tune probably won't appeal.

All I want to know is as a club are we going to call the retro show our visit to pod this year officially?