• rallyday - castle combe

1 2.27%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Possible events, have your say

A year or so ago.

Personally I wanted to carry on with Friday Pod days because I knew it was popular with a core of the club.

No one wanted to organise it and anyway the losses had become too high.

The committee had a vote on it, a poll IIRC, and about four people at the time wanted a Pod day, AS WELL as track, and the others no, just track.

Then I phoned Miller and he had what seemed like a solution, to see if we could book 40 out of the 100 limit on a test and tune day. They don't have limited runs do they? That's the whole point of it being limited to 100 runners.

So, no risk to the club if it rains. Minimal losses. No need to organise anything (so we thought!)

There was a Sunday one in September. Pod said Yes to 40 tickets.

All seemed good.

But Pod made a mess. The didn't reserve the 40 places, apparently they thought we wouldn't turn up, or something, and didn't want to lose money. Which wasn't far off!

No mention of the VW day.

And so we expected the people who are so vocal in this thread and other previous thread would be happy and go there. Apart from 9, they didn't.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    If people are that worried about missing out on Pod, why doesn't someone organise an rtoc get-together at one of this year's many rwyb days? (like we used to have regularly years back).
    Central command, in the form of Rach, used to make that happen. A lot of people think it happens on it's own.

Run what ya brung's are a bit crap these days aren't they? With endless queues and crap track and not getting many runs in?

But maybe now this year with some new keen committee members those events will happen again.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

If people are that worried about missing out on Pod, why doesn't someone organise an rtoc get-together at one of this year's many rwyb days? (like we used to have regularly years back).
    Perhaps that's what will happen.. But the same could be said for all events??? If you want to go you go, least that way the club will never lose on an event.. We also may as well drop the joining fee and have no committee just someone to run the web site?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
    Central command, in the form of Rach, used to make that happen. A lot of people think it happens on it's own.

Maybe now this year with some new keen committee members those things will happen again.

Ps, I organised a few as well

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Reed View Post
    drop the joining fee
    No fee, no website. It's not for free. And do you mean pay someone to run it? We don't really have anyone to run it now. I do my best to keep it ticking over, as do a few others. Scoff helps when he can, especially when it's gone critical and a meltdown is about to happen that no-one else can prevent.

Post Thanks / Like

Ps, I organised a few as well
    Well done to you Why did you stop?

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps that's what will happen.. But the same could be said for all events??? If you want to go you go, least that way the club will never lose on an event.. We also may as well drop the joining fee and have no committee just someone to run the web site?
    took the words right out of my mouth

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I still dont think it would be too bad if we joined forces with another small car club for the pod day, rwyb days are ok but sitting in the fire up road for hours on end is not fun.

Post Thanks / Like

The difference being, it doesn't cost anything to latch onto one of the rwyb days, apart from the normal entry/running fee.

To hire the place exclusively will cost loads, in the same way Blyton does, except, as has been repeatedly said, the coffers aren't money-laden enough to cover the costs of 2 such events in a year.

If Blyton/ND is a done deal, which it is, then there won't be an exclusive rtoc-only day at Pod this year. End of. Hence saying that if people want an event/meet-up there, then simply organise a get-together on the back of one the rwyb events.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

No fee, no website. It's not for free. And do you mean pay someone to run it? We don't really have anyone to run it now. I do my best to keep it ticking over, as do a few others. Scoff helps when he can, especially when it's gone critical and a meltdown is about to happen that no-one else can prevent.
    That's why I said someone to run the web site as I know it's not free.. And when I said drop the joining fee I meant to a fiver or similar.. Besides it was a bombastic response to the previous answer, not a must do or solution

Post Thanks / Like

Ha, I wasn't after recognition! It stopped because people, in the majority, got bored of going to Pod, trackdays were the new kid on the block, hence my attention turned to them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by philr5t View Post
    took the words right out of my mouth
    drop the joining fee and how does the club generate income do you realise no one gets payed on the commitee? does the website run its self or should you pay someone to run it but you have dropped the joining fee what will you pay them with. come on lads your just being ridiculous at end of the day it should of probably been posted up "THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE MAIN EVENT THIS YEAR WHAT DO YOU WANT IT TO BE" but it wasn't and here we are lets get over it and move on

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

The difference being, it doesn't cost anything to latch onto one of the rwyb days, apart from the normal entry/running fee.

To hire the place exclusively will cost loads, in the same way Blyton does, except, as has been repeatedly said, the coffers aren't money-laden enough to cover the costs of 2 such events in a year.

If Blyton/ND is a done deal, which it is, then there won't be an exclusive rtoc-only day at Pod this year. End of. Hence saying that if people want an event/meet-up there, then simply organise a get-together on the back of one the rwyb events.
    My point exactly, it also doesn't cost anything to latch onto someone else's track day either....... And so your point is what?

I also fully understand that Blyton is a done deal, I haven't said otherwise
    Last edited by Dave Reed; 10-02-2013 at 00:36.

Post Thanks / Like

if the poll was still running for frog of pod how manys votes would it have now before the committe took it down

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    drop the joining fee and how does the club generate income do you realise no one gets payed on the commitee? does the website run its self or should you pay someone to run it but you have dropped the joining fee what will you pay them with. come on lads your just being ridiculous at end of the day it should of probably been posted up "THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE MAIN EVENT THIS YEAR WHAT DO YOU WANT IT TO BE" but it wasn't and here we are lets get over it and move on
    Chris it was a tongue in cheek remake I made... We all know nothing can be done about it at this stage... (At least we know for next year)

The fact of the matter is that most of the people on here either like track days or oe. I myself like any kind of motor sport, however I build my cars to be a quick as I can afford, unfortunately that often means they wouldn't last a track day lol..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by turbo ted View Post
    if the poll was still running for frog of pod how manys votes would it have now before the committe took it down
    I think you and i both know it would be winning but can you think of any possible way we can sort this mate?

Post Thanks / Like

Chris it was a tongue in cheek remake I made... We all know nothing can be done about it at this stage... (At least we know for next year)

The fact of the matter is that most of the people on here either like track days or oe. I myself like any kind of motor sport, however I build my cars to be a quick as I can afford, unfortunately that often means they wouldn't last a track day lol..
    i see its very difficult to gauge when its in text form.. so what can we do dave to try and patch things up for everyone

Post Thanks / Like

And so your point is what?
    Touché.

I'm well aware the same can be said for latching onto trackdays. I'm offering a solution as to how to have an rtoc event as such at Pod, that doesn't cost (the club) extra, albeit it won't be as exclusive as some would like.

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Members have been spoilt with two heavily subsidised events over the years.

We seem to be arguing about a non issue.

As has been said we can't have a weekend slot at POD anymore, we lost it when we stopped going in 2005.

Look at the numbers, only 9 tickets sold to members at last years tag on event.

We are only a small club, we can't do everything, if we don't make a return on the main event then ND will end up being every two years!

Another thread, started for all the right reasons with the best intentions, explodes in our faces. And people wonder why no one puts themselves out for the club anymore....

Post Thanks / Like

I will gladly make phone calls on Monday to try and help organise a day at pod different to last years meet and I also remember dave reed mentioning a few pages ago a day at north Weald did anyone from the commitee look into it at all what the costs would be as I will happily ring them to on Monday

Post Thanks / Like

It's irrelevant unless at least 70 people buy a track ticket.

70 at £70 = £4900.

Will they?

If someone can make them then we might be able do it if Pod agree. But no-one can make sure that many tickets sell. Seems we last lost about £2500 to please only 50 people.

At the track day more was lost but more people were pleased especially as we paid for their RR as well.

If only 50 people buy tickets to this years Blyton day then the RTOC will lose a lot more than if only 50 tickets sell at the Pod. I guess that's worth thinking about.

Unless it rains at the Pod and we make a near total loss. People still lap in the wet.

Post Thanks / Like

I will gladly make phone calls on Monday to try and help organise a day at pod different to last years meet and I also remember dave reed mentioning a few pages ago a day at north Weald did anyone from the commitee look into it at all what the costs would be as I will happily ring them to on Monday
    Good on ya, Phil

Post Thanks / Like

yes mate i spoke to pod today and the north weald i was going to do we have a show we are sorting at pod aswell the retro show people seemed pleased.

Post Thanks / Like

If the club has a stand at the North Weald thing then I can bring the whole of the Ilford membership with me. (That's only me though And I have a Fiat and it doesn't even have a turbo. Halcyon days with 5 or 6 5GTT's meeting outside my house are in a bygone era )

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

i see its very difficult to gauge when its in text form.. so what can we do dave to try and patch things up for everyone
    I don't think you need to do anything Chris, you and your fellow helpers have done what you all thought was best and what brings in more numbers etc (or whatever the reasons).. And quite frankly it's tough lol... We're all grown men/women.. I think people are just expressing that they feel they've been a little cheated (possibly) but no one runs something at a loss, as it won't last forever..

Perhaps as has been said alternate it each year, I don't personally think numbers would ever be that great with 2 major events every year (in the current financial climate anyway).

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Touché.

I'm well aware the same can be said for latching onto trackdays. I'm offering a solution as to how to have an rtoc event as such at Pod, that doesn't cost (the club) extra, albeit it won't be as exclusive as some would like.
    Haha no touché here fella.... Just pointing out your pointless remark that you can't justify

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

If the club has a stand at the North Weald thing then I can bring the whole of the Ilford membership with me. (That's only me though And I have a Fiat and it doesn't even have a turbo. Halcyon days with 5 or 6 5GTT's meeting outside my house are in a bygone era )
    So my post about north Weald wasn't invisible after all haha (that's a joke btw)..

Post Thanks / Like

It's irrelevant unless at least 70 people buy a track ticket.

70 at £70 = £4900.

Will they?

If someone can make them then we might be able do it if Pod agree. But no-one can make sure that many tickets sell. Seems we last lost about £2500 to please only 50 people.

At the track day more was lost but more people were pleased especially as we paid for their RR as well.

If only 50 people buy tickets to this years Blyton day then the RTOC will lose a lot more than if only 50 tickets sell at the Pod. I guess that's worth thinking about.

Unless it rains at the Pod and we make a near total loss. People still lap in the wet.
    I can see where your coming from Ian but a couple of things I'm not to shaw on is when we talk about the pod weekend is to expensive are you meaning booking Santa pod for the whole weekend or do you mean just for the exclusive track use on the Friday day then the camping Friday night and another thing for next year is there a suitable track out there apart from blyton at a lower cost that the track boys will enjoy to help put the Friday pod day back on for next year rather than spending a small fortune but at the same time being able to fit both events in at different times of the year if that makes sense

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyway onwards n upwards....

Is there no events that we can hire where they have a time attack and drag racing??? Best of both worlds IMO (o and not this year, obviously).

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I can see where your coming from Ian but a couple of things I'm not to shaw on is when we talk about the pod weekend is to expensive are you meaning booking Santa pod for the whole weekend or do you mean just for the exclusive track use on the Friday day then the camping Friday night and another thing for next year is there a suitable track out there apart from blyton at a lower cost that the track boys will enjoy to help put the Friday pod day back on for next year rather than spending a small fortune but at the same time being able to fit both events in at different times of the year if that makes sense
    Phil, I think we'd be better of picking a test n tune day, put the info up and whoever goes, goes?

Post Thanks / Like

Anyway onwards n upwards....

Is there no events that we can hire where they have a time attack and drag racing??? Best of both worlds IMO (o and not this year, obviously).
    if only that would solve everything was it trax that used to have a trackday and a 0-60 test not a 1/4 mile i know but getting closer

Post Thanks / Like

Haha no touché here fella.... Just pointing out your pointless remark that you can't justify
    Which pointless remark was that?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Which pointless remark was that?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mart

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

if only that would solve everything was it trax that used to have a trackday and a 0-60 test not a 1/4 mile i know but getting closer
    It's a shame as it would make for an awesome event I reckon.. Haha a bit closer...

Post Thanks / Like

Valid comment, no?

Some of those old rwyb events/meet-ups yielded a great turn-out for the club, with tuners (Ktec, BB, EP) involved too.

Would be great to have those type of meets there again, but if it's now deemed pointless, then fair enough.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Valid comment, no?

Some of those old rwyb events/meet-ups yielded a great turn-out for the club, with tuners (Ktec, BB, EP) involved too.

Would be great to have those type of meets there again, but if it's now deemed pointless, then fair enough.

I don't want this to turn into a keyboard warrior match, it's not constructive, so we'll leave it at that I think..

Post Thanks / Like

You what?

I'm turning it into nothing, and I'm not sure why/how you think this is an argument or a dig at anyone, unless you've misread my previous posts?

It was a genuine thought/idea regarding a meet-up at a rwyb event at Pod, hence why I didn't understand your pointless remark comment.

Post Thanks / Like

when we talk about the pod is to expensive .....blyton at a lower cost that the track boys will enjoy to help put the Friday pod day
    Just talking about Friday at the Pod.

We already asked Blyton if they had a 1/4 mile when we first looked at it. Not that they can use at the same time, perhaps day, as lapping. So no then.

Blyton would appear to be the lowest cost for somewhere near the Midlands anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Phil, I think we'd be better of picking a test n tune day, put the info up and whoever goes, goes?
    That doesn't promote the club at all. We need a club presence at events to show other people the club exists.

We need organised and well and repeatedly advertised and talked about events to get more than a couple of people anywhere at the same time.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

You what?

I'm turning it into nothing, and I'm not sure why/how you think this is an argument or a dig at anyone, unless you've misread my previous posts?

It was a genuine thought/idea regarding a meet-up at a rwyb event at Pod, hence why I didn't understand your pointless remark comment.
    That's fine then, perhaps I misread your post as to me it sounded like you were saying you'll have to sort one yourself, which isn't really part of the club??

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

That doesn't promote the club at all. We need a club presence at events to show other people the club exists.

We need organised and well and repeatedly advertised and talked about events to get more than a couple of people anywhere at the same time.
    So there is going to be a rtoc organised pod day then

Post Thanks / Like

That's fine then, perhaps I misread your post as to me it sounded like you were saying you'll have to sort one yourself, which isn't really part of the club??
    You obviously did - 'Yourself' was meant in the generic term. You'll also note I said elsewhere 'why doesn't someone organise...', be it that someone be anyone from the Committee, the Events guys, or any rtoc members.

Whoever organises it, means zilch really - It'll still be a club event; just one that might or might not be funded from the coffers.

I'm so glad I've wasted christ knows how many minutes typing all these posts, trying to explain the fecking obvious...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm saying nothing

Some people are either deaf or just hard of thinking .
    There is not enough support of any of these events to sustain them .If members don't buy the tickets that surely says something .
    All very well saying ' if we build it they will come ' but the stark reality is they don't .
    I would suggest a non refundable deposit for any future BIG events payable a good 6 months in advance
    Then perhaps all the ' me mums friends cats had a funny turn and fallen of her lap so I can't come ,gutted ' type stuff can be avoided

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clee View Post
    I'm saying nothing

Some people are either deaf or just hard of thinking .
    There is not enough support of any of these events to sustain them .If members don't buy the tickets that surely says something .
    All very well saying ' if we build it they will come ' but the stark reality is they don't .
    I would suggest a non refundable deposit for any future BIG events payable a good 6 months in advance
    Then perhaps all the ' me mums friends cats had a funny turn and fallen of her lap so I can't come ,gutted ' type stuff can be avoided
    Fantastic idea. Minimum 50% aswell.

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clee View Post
    You only need to look at the list of names v's turn out for the rr day at scoffs! The RTOC rule of 3 strikes again and that was just £30!

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Impossible!

We can't have a Pod day and a ND as the club doesn't have the funds to take the hit if/when next to no one turns up at Pod.

We had a vote and people were mostly in favour of holding the ND at Blyton again.

Why can't people that want a Pod day organise something locally between them, using the area reps? Perhaps tag along with a test day it something?

Can we alternate ND between Blyton and Pod? Or is Pod too expensive to hire full stop now? The days of having 2 big events a year are gone guys

I tell you one thing, if ND this year doesn't do well then we might not have one at all in 2014.....

Post Thanks / Like

why do drag racers have to tag onto back of another event its all one sided its all track or nothing as far i can see

Post Thanks / Like

why do drag racers have to tag onto back of another event its all one sided its all track or nothing as far i can see
    It does feel it sometimes mate

From all this it doesn't look like a day at a drag strip is going to happen this year, tagging along to either a show or a rwyb are not the best ideas for people wanting to run and do well, for spectating yes they may be better but for us who want to run the track prep isn't the best and the que's are to long

For me i'll be attending a few test and tune days this year, if anyone wants to tag along with me more than welcome to

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Can we alternate ND between Blyton and Pod? Or is Pod too expensive to hire full stop now? The days of having 2 big events a year are gone guys
    For fear of repeating myself again...

WE COULDN'T BOOK POD ON A WEEKEND, EVEN IF WE WANTED TO

so wound members be happy with ND being on a weekday....?