1 2.27%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Possible events, have your say

Quote Originally Posted by car.crash View Post
    Explain how we made a loss at pod.
    We bought let's say 30 tickets. Sold about 5 to members and the rest were sold on the gate at full value. That's what Chris said to me on the day as I was stunned we got our money back.

Dont quote me on this (You will as Its on the boards haha), but I think we did make a loss, how much I dont honestly know, I am not sure if Chris Miller has let Ian S know exactly how much we took in or even if the money has been put in our accounts - Ian S will know that.

Chris Miller posted this...

7 were sold through the shop @ £60 each
    2 we sold in person by Clee @ £60 each
    4 entry tickets were sold on the day for £10 each
    The rest (31) was sold on the day by Glen and his good lady

I am counting the money now and will pay it in this week.

So a total loss of around £680 Much better than any other year of about £2500.

Ok so not a huge loss... BUT we only sold 9 tickets to RTOC members... 9 out for 40 tickets we brought....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    like last year? how many people realisticly do you think will turn up mark
    To be honest bud that's one year out of how many, one bad year and suddenly it's all doom and gloom frog of the pod day finished. The two previous years were on a Friday and we had a fair few turn up. What about if we could arrange a day at the pod like the old mag features rtoc v cliosport etc? There has to be members on here that are on more than one forum.

S**t just saw Marky marks post.
    Last edited by rs250nut; 09-02-2013 at 20:00.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

How about have 2 events (money/interest permitting)

One at the beginning of summer some and one in the autumn as a closing of the events season maybe?

That way there is enough space between the two, and people have enough time to get permission from the powers that be indoors.

Get people who would be interested in sponsoring the day/ have stands there (I.e gt turbo spares, cgb, euro car parts etc etc) charge them a fee and that would probably pay for the day so the club at worst would break even.

Sponsoring is great and is a tax relief to companies too. I'll donate some money to the club through my business for an event. Who ever sorts this- PM me.

Post Thanks / Like

Pod day will be around 6 grand or more. Gt turbo spares will probably make a few hundred quid in spares then subtract his fuel and time costs. Cgb will be roughly the same.
    Charge them anything and expect them not to arrive let alone hitting them for thousands.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
    How about have 2 events (money/interest permitting)

One at the beginning of summer some and one in the autumn as a closing of the events season maybe?

That way there is enough space between the two, and people have enough time to get permission from the powers that be indoors.

Get people who would be interested in sponsoring the day/ have stands there (I.e gt turbo spares, cgb, euro car parts etc etc) charge them a fee and that would probably pay for the day so the club at worst would break even.

Sponsoring is great and is a tax relief to companies too. I'll donate some money to the club through my business for an event. Who ever sorts this- PM me.
    You can't charge mike to turn up, fair idea... But this mans saved many a member and a charge would be a tad insulting in my eyes. Remember he is a member to.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Time will cost nothing if you're going to be there anyway fella- same for the fuel.

And does it have to be Santa pod? I'm sure there are cheaper avenues to go down.

Advertising wise- I wouldn't expect to claw 100% of the money invested from one day at an event. No company would. I'd comfortably get sponsorship from a couple of businesses for rtoc.

Anyway- even if sponsorship only paid a percentage of the amount, its better than what the club had prior to it.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a nice idea but who will sponsor it. What's in it for them?
    Also time does cost money. Mikes spares don't sort themselves from his various locations and climb into his trailer on their own and back out at pod, then back in at home time and then back out to be restocked.
    Fuelling a juicy transit and a trailer is a hell of a lot more than a diesel car.
    Don't take these people and their time for granted.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JRP View Post
    You can't charge mike to turn up, fair idea... But this mans saved many a member and a charge would be a tad insulting in my eyes. Remember he is a member to.
    Sponsoring is a tax relief mate- so it wouldn't cost him anything cos he'd get it deducted in his tax year.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd sponsor some money- and ask for a ad on the site on the banner for an amount of time with my company website on it etc.

Im sure other companies would do the same too. I don't have a list of companies lined up, this was a suggestion to whoever does this on the committee.

Although I know a company who would sponsor too. So that's 2 for a start.

South East Regional Rep soapymech's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

im sure there have to be other car clubs having the same discussion about pod i think we need to find one and split the difference

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic and well done
    Let us know when you get it sorted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soapymech View Post
    im sure there have to be other car clubs having the same discussion about pod i think we need to find one and split the difference
    Thats a good idea and someone mentioned about a club shootout like they used to do it would half the cost

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Also time does cost money. Mikes spares don't sort themselves from his various locations and climb into his trailer on their own and back out at pod, then back in at home time and then back out to be restocked.
    Fuelling a juicy transit and a trailer is a hell of a lot more than a diesel car.
    Don't take these people and their time for granted.
    I'm not suggesting Mike or Bob fill up a van full of spares,nor am I taking mike or their time for granted. I simply wrote a list of businesses that may be intersted in sponsoring the club. Sponsoring an event can be from having your business name on the advert, to having banners up there.

Bit negative if u ask me mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    Thats a good idea and someone mentioned about a club shootout like they used to do it would half the cost
    id say if finance is the problem because of the lack of member numbers then this is something we have to consider. there must be other clubs of a similar size with the same problem?

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The last Pod day I want to was probably ND 2004. We had arranged a good few traders, Ktec and CTM being two with good stands.

But now they won't bother with only 50 people turning up. They won't sell enough / anything.

The reason the Committee didn't book Pod this year or last year on the Friday is because there was no one to do it. The people who did it in previous years are not active now and were not replaced.

There was something like a £2500 loss each year.

And it's a big risk and the small number who do go, tend to not buy until the last minute in case it's raining and they don't go. We always worried about that but always got lucky with the weather. We might have lost another £3000 or so if it had been wet. We never had event insurance to cover that. I don't know if we could get that anyway.

I think we'd need to charge more than before, and sell more tickets.

The Blyton day lost about £5000 it looks like. If we booked and lost the normal at Friday Pod that would come from club savings, not income. If Blyton goes tit's up this year with hardly any tickets sold then...do I need to say it again?

Post Thanks / Like

I think this was done a few years ago when RTOC combined with the VW G40 (old supercharged Polo's) club, or whatever, for a shoot-out possibly at the Shakespeare strip.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
    I think this was done a few years ago when RTOC combined with the VW G40 (old supercharged Polo's) club, or whatever, for a shoot-out possibly at the Shakespeare strip.
    think this might be a job for facebook ian?

Post Thanks / Like

Explain how we made a loss at pod.
    IIRC, and I may not in this case, we paid £60 and they were sold at £30.

https://www.rtoc.org/files/?path=Club...s/Santa%20Pod/

Had it not been for those who had the brass to shift them, there would have been more like £1600 lost.

Just was well we only booked 40 tickets. Normally about 50 people but we erred on the side of caution.

Post Thanks / Like

think this might be a job for facebook ian?
    Errrm. I don't use Facebook. Can't make sense of it. Luckily other p[people here can

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Penfold aka The Dealer View Post
    Blyton was booked back in September.....

The club do not vote for every idea such as Venues/Dates for ND, The club voted to have a Committee, The Committee is there to act on behalf of the club & its members.
    So if that's the case why is it not down to members to have an opinion on weather pod is to happen or not as it seems that there is never an opinion on track days and they are booked every year and I presume that track days never make a loss is that correct

Post Thanks / Like

Track days loose around 5k from what I read.
    Pod last year looks to have lost £600 of Ian is correct that the tickets were sold for £10 less than we paid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by philr5t View Post
    it seems that there is never an opinion on track days
    There was thread on it with plenty of posts before the 2013 day at Blyton was booked.

Post Thanks / Like

Track days loose around 5k from what I read
    Only last year's ND @ Blyton, not all previous track-based ND's.

In fact, iirc, the last one at Mallory we made a profit, and broke even the year before that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    Only last year's ND @ Blyton, not all previous track-based ND's.

In fact, iirc, the last one at Mallory we made a profit, and broke even the year before that.
    Did we pay much more for blyton or did the rolling road cost a lot more than I would predict?
    Numbers seemed high at blyton or at least close to Mallory. Just trying to see how we lost 5k compared to Mallorys profit.

I'm happy to hit a track day but it seems a shame to loose pod unless we have to.

Post Thanks / Like

I might be wrong, but I believe Blyton was cheaper to 'hire' than Mallory.

If so, I guess it's a case of numbers were down last year?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
    There was thread on it with plenty of posts before the 2013 day at Blyton was booked.
    So Ian who's decision was it to book blyton and not pod as if your going by previous figures would you not rather loose £600 at pod rather than 5k a blyton at the moment this to me seems very one sided in the way pod makes a loss so best thing to do is wash your hands with it and the paying members who enjoy it but on the other hand blyton makes a 5 grand loss but I know will book it again this year I am quite p***ed off actually as being a paying member like everyone else I look forward to pod every year as that's what I enjoy most and seeing all the great people I have made mates with over the last 10 years but I don't do track days and get quite bored there but I will still go to them to support the club and meet up with all the lads.
    Don't you think it would have been nice for members to choose where we have national day 2013 rather than the committee if we could only afford one main event ?

Phil

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Does it have to be at pod?? How about Avon park?? I've been to club event here, it's probably cheaper than pod too... Only real downside is there a bit slow a clear ups n the track isn't quite as gd...

I was one of the few who actually bought a ticket for last years pod day and it was a pian in the arse queing due to the shared day, but still had fun...

Also maybe more should be done for the pod days.. I've never seen a rolling road at one (unlike blyton). Also one year I brought a couple of drag mates with me to do some demo runs, only to be told on the day they had to buy tickets to go on track (and yes I did arrange it before).

How about a vs match with a few other 80/90's cars to boost numbers? With some prizes? (Certainly something u can't do at a track event )

Post Thanks / Like

Did we pay much more for blyton or did the rolling road cost a lot more than I would predict?
    https://www.rtoc.org/files/?path=Club...Meeting%20day/

It's all here Marc.

Well the takings aren't as I only just got that data and haven't uploaded the latest doc yet. But you can see the costs.

Yes there was no money taken on the day for the RR.
    The commemorative plates were an expense that seemed a nice thing to do and would have been OK if people had attended in sufficient numbers.
    There was no money taken for the track instructors.

I don't know if there was in the past a fee to enter the show and shine, given that there wer prizes given but these may have been donated.

Post Thanks / Like

£1140 for a mobile RR unit to be present?! Fecking hell, I'm in the wrong game...

Post Thanks / Like

So Ian who's decision was it to book blyton and not pod as if your going by previous figures would you not rather loose £600 at pod rather than 5k a blyton
    Last year's 'pod day' wasn't really an rtoc event, and it certainly didn't feel like one. It was a massive VW event that a few of us 'gatecrashed'. It would have cost the club more than £600 had it been an exclusive day. How much have previous pod days cost the club? As has been said, Santa Pod will not let us hire the place at a weekend. Surely you can't have the club's number one event of the year on a week day? Therefore the only way of having a weekend pod National Day would be to tag onto something else, last last year's fail!

I'd much rather have an exclusive day somewhere, with that exclusive feel about it, or at least an event where we're not totally outnumbered! Whether that be at McDonald's car park, a field in the middle of no where, or anywhere else.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Reed View Post
    I've never seen a rolling road at one (unlike blyton).
    There was a thor dyno at the 2004 Santa Pod National day.

Post Thanks / Like

So Ian who's decision
    It was the members decision who talked it over in the thread opened to discuss ND2013.

Previous Friday Pod days were losing money in a big way. And that's with no extra frills losing even more money.

ND organisation / planning / ticket selling is, and has been, nothing to do with me. It's all down to the ND organiser, Big Steve now, before that, Miller. Although Dawn co-organised the 2012 day and Dawn and CLee organised the 2011 day, as best as I can recall.

I just pay the bills and attempt to keep records when people can find it within themselves to send me the details.

The committee have talked over aspects of ND, mainly where it come to spending / losing money.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm finding it hard to understand why there is even a discussion about Pod at the weekend when RTOC has not that since 2005. People are going on like weekend Pod happens every year. Friday Pod lost a bundle and would have lost a shed load more if it had rained. If you're all so mad keen then why don't you all buy your tickets months before and don't complain if it rains, and make sure the event sells out.

And people seem oblivious at the finances.

Please people, get with it.

How may times must it be said, and in how many threads, before it hits home. The membership numbers are a lot smaller and so the income is a lot smaller.

The events have to sell out or the club will soon run out of savings.

Post Thanks / Like

If it's not too late to have a Pod day on a Friday this year:

• we need to have a good idea how many will pay, even if it rains.
    • Or buy event cancellation insurance if that's possible and affordable.
    • See if other clubs want to join in and split the cost, or the people in this thread will have to pay £200(?) each to have their own day for them selves. Even if it rains. And Pay in advance and have no refunds.

Is that OK with you all I'm not organising it by the way, just helping out here with the discussion

Other tracks in the past have not been popular as a ND venue with RTOCers due to members wanting to put down competitive times, even if only competing with their own previous times.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

So how much are we going to charge for blyton this year £600 per ticket?

Post Thanks / Like

Well if 70 people go and the costs are £11000.

To break event it's £157 each.

Or if 150 people by a track ticket then it's £73. But can 150 fit onto the track? Will 150 buy a track ticket?

Wasn't it about £95 for non members for the one that did bread even, 2010? A lot of non members went to that. Don't know the numbers.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

So Ian who's decision was it to book blyton and not pod as if your going by previous figures would you not rather loose £600 at pod rather than 5k a blyton at the moment this to me seems very one sided in the way pod makes a loss so best thing to do is wash your hands with it and the paying members who enjoy it but on the other hand blyton makes a 5 grand loss but I know will book it again this year I am quite p***ed off actually as being a paying member like everyone else I look forward to pod every year as that's what I enjoy most and seeing all the great people I have made mates with over the last 10 years but I don't do track days and get quite bored there but I will still go to them to support the club and meet up with all the lads.
    Don't you think it would have been nice for members to choose where we have national day 2013 rather than the committee if we could only afford one main event ?

Phil
    Did you miss this thread Phil?

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthrea...901#post289901

I hereby tender my resignation from the committee to let some of the other members give something back to the club.

Post Thanks / Like

who's decision was it to book blyton
    Thread from Sep 2012 re: ND 2013: https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=29829

Post Thanks / Like

Don't dig out Phil to much guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Phil asked the question

Non-member old skool turbo power's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The new Bill J View Post
    I'd much rather have an exclusive day somewhere, with that exclusive feel about it, or at least an event where we're not totally outnumbered! Whether that be at McDonald's car park, a field in the middle of no where, or anywhere else.....

There was a thor dyno at the 2004 Santa Pod National day.
    my 1st meet was up a car park that was up at derby in 2005 i think it was,it was at at the KFC car park wasnt a bad meet got lost a few times finding it think....a few meets like that arnt bad esp to meet new people like i did,there was about 10/15cars there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve - Raider View Post

I hereby tender my resignation from the committee to let some of the other members give something back to the club.
    If your resignation decision is made on me asking why pod has never been spoke about not being held this year then you are a very sad person mate and in regards to the thread you copied me in on I'm sure the title stated WHEN did everyone want nd to be on i didn't see it mentioned blyton or pod I understand 99.9% of the commitee would rather hold a national weekend at a track and I couldn't agree more but what my point is have some consideration for the other half of the members who like pod and at least inform them there was no intention of booking it this year am I really that much of a bad person cause if so please tell me

Post Thanks / Like

From little acorns big oak trees grow.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve - Raider View Post

Come on Steve.. You and dawn done a great job at making last years nd a wicked weekend! Don't take it so personal buddy, we're just having a discussion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Reed View Post
    Come on Steve.. You and dawn done a great job at making last years nd a wicked weekend! Don't take it so personal buddy, we're just having a discussion
    I could not agree more with dave I have a lot of respect for yourself and the rest of the commitee Steve and if I wanted to have a pop I would not choose to do it on here but all I asked is when was we going to be told there was no pod day I didn't once indicate anything direct to yourself mate if you look at my posts

Post Thanks / Like

If your resignation decision is made on me asking why pod has never been spoke about not being held this year then you are a very sad person mate and in regards to the thread you copied me in on I'm sure the title stated WHEN did everyone want nd to be on i didn't see it mentioned blyton or pod I understand 99.9% of the commitee would rather hold a national weekend at a track and I couldn't agree more but what my point is have some consideration for the other half of the members who like pod and at least inform them there was no intention of booking it this year am I really that much of a bad person cause if so please tell me
    Phil he has thought about it for ages it's not your comment

Post Thanks / Like

I might be wrong, but I believe Blyton was cheaper to 'hire' than Mallory.

If so, I guess it's a case of numbers were down last year?
    All correct. Blyton is a lot less.

Mallory 2011 lost £3800 but had more people buy in advance and no frills, no RR, disco, plates. Some trophies were bought and so was some sine-age and printed materials.

It was 2010 that about broke even with a lot more non members paying the significantly higher non member price. But a few people later complained about the busier track full of non Renaults.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

£1140 for a mobile RR unit to be present?! Fecking hell, I'm in the wrong game...
    You wouldn't say that after spending 40k on one m8

Post Thanks / Like

I could not agree more with dave I have a lot of respect for yourself and the rest of the commitee Steve and if I wanted to have a pop I would not choose to do it on here but all I asked is when was we going to be told there was no pod day I didn't once indicate anything direct to yourself mate if you look at my posts
    I will be honest i just assumed we would be joining in on another day again but try and be abit more organised and the pod days to ourselves where before my time. Obviously now i can see thats not what people want but does anyone see a way round this problem without falling out and try and work together

Post Thanks / Like

Damned if you do, damned if you don't, in this club sometimes.

We didn't have a Pod day as such last year, so why does the Committee have to inform us/anyone that there won't be one this year?

If there isn't a thread about it, or nothing listed in the Events section, then surely common sense tells you the club won't be hosting one (this year).

If people are that worried about missing out on Pod, why doesn't someone organise an rtoc get-together at one of this year's many rwyb days? (like we used to have regularly years back).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post
    You wouldn't say that after spending 40k on one m8
    Serious dollar