Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flat rate membership fee

Jon has energy and personality, he just needs setting off in the right direction. Like a Staffy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nottswoody View Post
    http://vimeo.com/m/58184068

As spoke about earlier in the thread about my cousin having his own filming talents for hire.. Then strange enough he puts up the link above..
    Yes I know it's not a gt
    Right poses you know who you are this video cost £200 I'm not in the video world is that good? Iv asked what sort of rates he would charge for a full day at blyton plus interviews etc etc.. Lets see what he says.. And no he's not some dude doing it on his iPhone corporate filming/weddings etc is what he dose..
    Check out his site on

http://www.iandearmanmedia.co.uk/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JRP View Post

Another idea, (old but let's rethink it for revenue)

Rtoc polos with club name under the Rtoc badge... Good for meets
    I offered that service for last years Nat day ...printed T shirt with custom/name/pic etc etc ...Got a grand total of ! order from Big Steve .I think it turned out OK and he liked it but don't know if he wore it

Committee Member
    Events
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clee View Post
    I offered that service for last years Nat day ...printed T shirt with custom/name/pic etc etc ...Got a grand total of ! order from Big Steve .I think it turned out OK and he liked it but don't know if he wore it
    I know i certainly would.

It would also help as a sort of an ice breaker at meets where you'd at least know who you were speaking to. Especially for new or less regular forum users.

Great idea IMHO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    Jon has energy and personality, he just needs setting off in the right direction. Like a Staffy
    Last edited by casper; 30-12-2013 at 20:09.

Post Thanks / Like

Right poses you know who you are this video cost £200 I'm not in the video world is that good? Iv asked what sort of rates he would charge for a full day at blyton plus interviews etc etc.. Lets see what he says.. And no he's not some dude doing it on his iPhone corporate filming/weddings etc is what he dose..
    Check out his site on

http://www.iandearmanmedia.co.uk/
    Committe

Ian says he can do national day for £500 as a special family rate edited and all as he says it will be fun to do.. The balls in your hands

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The quality of the video speaks for itself.

It might just be about money as we lost about £5k on the last one and that's another £500. Unless people buy the DVD and we make bit from that? Steve did that last year; sold a CD of the official photos. But would we get any where near recouping £500?

Of course, if the event sold enough tickets then that would be OK.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't see sales being a problem I personally am quite excited at have my car filmed on full boost by a quality filmed instead of trying to catch it on my phone who wouldn't want that track action? Guys how cool would it be to get that camera strapped to your car? I think we could be onto a winner here?? Work the prices out between your selves for DVD sales could be a winner

Post Thanks / Like

We might have lost money on the last ND but this year (or next year if plans are already formed for 2013), is a fresh go at getting an affordable but fun and interesting event organised that may or may not be able to include a £500 video of the day. Nothing is for certain yet, and that includes whether the day will be loss making or not

The GTR vid is very good.

Post Thanks / Like

Trev

The main reason I looked into this was because it was mentioned on revamping the club with some media coverage.. Not just to have personal DVDs as I say it's up to you guys I just know a guy that could doit all for you.. Now you know were he is if you want a local (to blyton) media guy.

Post Thanks / Like

Worth a punt, imho.

Would make for some great footage to go on our YouTube page, and great advertisement for the club/our ND's.

Jon gets my vote, fwiw (feck all ), for the aforementioned role/job.

Post Thanks / Like

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I read about 4 of these pages last night and thought I would chime in.

Im not sure what the big issue is with the Club running at a loss.

In fact Im not sure how the club can ever be in a state of being in a loss in the first place?

From a budget perspective here is how I see it.

Fixed known costs.
    • Web hosting and site mainternance
    • membership packs (including all parafanalia)
    • Maketing flyers?

Once that is paid for by the membership renewals - whatever is left can be put towards events such as National day and what ever else - if the cash is not there then there are no events - simple no?

Not sure how the club can ever be at a loss (whos pockets are paying for the loss?)
    If you mean loss as in the club bought x amount of track time and only sold x amount and did not recoup its outlay - I don't see that as a loss - The money was there to be spent as long as the fixed costs are paid for the site then I see no issue with the club not breaking even.

You can't spend what you don't have - its not a business...

Now if you want to make cash, a mate of mine runs a Mondeo club and brings in about £2K per month from Advertising space sold on the site.

As the Renault's are more home tweaking based that's never going to happen when people bash tuners and want to do the work themselves - but if you get the new blood on board (new cars) - even make it the Renault Owners club ( drop the turbo) and promote independent dealers for a share of traffic clicks or codes that may bring the money in and turn it into a profitable website. - With Low member numbers that ain't going to happen - most R5s are scrapped and rotten now and its only the hardcore that keeps them going, shame they are still seen as chav cars and not a classic piece of motoring history.

Adapt or die - Darwin was right.

http://www.prophpbb.com/ - host it for free with a generic looking site and save I believe Ian S said £2K per year?
    or
    http://www.hostgator.com/apps/phpbb-hosting
    http://www.siteground.com/hosting_features.htm
    Don't look like 2Ks worth of money to run the site - unless we are buying hardware and sticking it in a hosting service. Thats a big no no, use the "cloud" and never get out of date on the hardware.
    Last edited by 6FOOT6; 25-01-2013 at 18:58.

Post Thanks / Like

Nailed it!

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 6FOOT6 View Post
    I read about 4 of these pages last night and thought I would chime in.

Im not sure what the big issue is with the Club running at a loss.

In fact Im not sure how the club can ever be in a state of being in a loss in the first place?

From a budget perspective here is how I see it.

Fixed known costs.
    • Web hosting and site mainternance
    • membership packs (including all parafanalia)
    • Maketing flyers?

Once that is paid for by the membership renewals - whatever is left can be put towards events such as National day and what ever else - if the cash is not there then there are no events - simple no?

Not sure how the club can ever be at a loss (whos pockets are paying for the loss?)
    If you mean loss as in the club bought x amount of track time and only sold x amount and did not recoup its outlay - I don't see that as a loss - The money was there to be spent as long as the fixed costs are paid for the site then I see no issue with the club not breaking even.

You can't spend what you don't have - its not a business...

Now if you want to make cash, a mate of mine runs a Mondeo club and brings in about £2K per month from Advertising space sold on the site.

As the Renault's are more home tweaking based that's never going to happen when people bash tuners and want to do the work themselves - but if you get the new blood on board (new cars) - even make it the Renault Owners club ( drop the turbo) and promote independent dealers for a share of traffic clicks or codes that may bring the money in and turn it into a profitable website. - With Low member numbers that ain't going to happen - most R5s are scrapped and rotten now and its only the hardcore that keeps them going, shame they are still seen as chav cars and not a classic piece of motoring history.

Adapt or die - Darwin was right.

http://www.prophpbb.com/ - host it for free with a generic looking site and save I believe Ian S said £2K per year?
    or
    http://www.hostgator.com/apps/phpbb-hosting
    Tom, we can have a very cheap looking car forum... but members moaned/Disliked that when RTOC went down and we went over to the temp forum hosted by Scoff.... Even though they was very grateful for him to do so.

RTOC website is very unique as car clubs go, we have more than just a forum....Lots more.

As I previously stated the club can exist on very little income and we could have a very low/donations etc if we wanted...but would only be a basic forun

But once again RTOC is very unique (for a club of our size - small), we for the last few years have managed to Hire 2 Unique Venues such as Pod, Mallory, Blyton, Brunters and have the ability to hire other attractions such as Rolling Roads at our events, all these things need to be paid for up front which we use the income from our memberships to pay for.

We normally make a LOSS at these events, which is no real issue as its normally covered by the income from our membership. The club itself does not run at a loss... although we nearly went bankrupt after Brunters 2006, I forget how much that we lost at that events, but we did struggle to pay for ND in 2007 - which if you remember was actually part of FCS for that year and RTOC had an exclusive 1 hour at track session at the end of the day and most members was disapointed with that.

I think most members would love to continue having at least one major event with other attractions, hence why we need a decent income to support that.

Post Thanks / Like

It's less that £2k I expect but I was rounding up. We pay probably too much for 4 domain names and from time to time pay for someone to do something or other. You can recall how bad the site was with Webfusion for the three years we were with them and unusable in the end. It's great now. So I rather be with a good reliable host that fast with vB sites than a cheap sh1t one. Not that Webfusion was low cost particularly.

Probably as much as the hosting cost is the fee paying for a managed backup service. We also have a fair size database which was always a issue before, requiring a dedicated server, until VPS appeared.

Ideally we'd spend more and have a fully managed web hosting service where they can do all the site updates or whatever needed as the committee cannot do any of that and relied on just one man who's now too busy for it.

There is also the old site still on an expensive Windows server waiting for someone to fix it's problems and move it to a cheap server. But 18 months have gone by and I can't 'make' these people do this stuff, not even for the full rate of pay. So why not dump it? Because it packed with useful data, such as all the article photos and info that's linked to. Or maybe the photos have been moved but the threads haven't. I used to go there often to look up stuff but since it scans the www when it switched on I have to keep it off.

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve - Raider View Post
    In all seriousness though, why doesn't JRP or Matt Cole put themselves forwards for it?
    Matt gets my vote, I know he's got plenty of spare time to do the job and he's a whizz with MS Project!

Post Thanks / Like

Trev

The main reason I looked into this was because it was mentioned on revamping the club with some media coverage.. Not just to have personal DVDs as I say it's up to you guys I just know a guy that could doit all for you.. Now you know were he is if you want a local (to blyton) media guy.
    No probs. I was supporting you in what you were saying.

What I said was in response to Ian's post. I meant that there's no reason to discount the option of paying for a high quality video simply because last year's ND made a big loss. Who knows that this year's ND cost make-up will be. It might be easy to set aside £500, who knows.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh I wore it Clee, loved it!

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=JRP;310975]Lol waiting to see me fail and then make a JRP fail tshirt for the club shop,

You can put them next to Dales t-shirt

Post Thanks / Like

Lol

Post Thanks / Like

So can we have a basic summary of whats been decided for the clubs future, idea's ect and where help is needed,

And let's pull together and get it done

Post Thanks / Like

More than one member has asked for a summary of all the changes/ideas that have sprung from this very important thread. Can someone from the committee please respond, even if it's only to say that an overview is in the pipeline (and give us an idea when it's going to be presented).

I have also asked a number of times about the club flyer. It's now been six days since Chris said he would update it 'asap'. If the updates have been done, I'm still looking for a jpg copy so I can print out my own (and for all members to receive one to their email addresses). If the changes haven't yet been incorporated, please for goodness sake send the master file to someone who has the time to do it.

Post Thanks / Like

More than one member has asked for a summary of all the changes/ideas that have sprung from this very important thread. Can someone from the committee please respond, even if it's only to say that an overview is in the pipeline (and give us an idea when it's going to be presented).

I have also asked a number of times about the club flyer. It's now been six days since Chris said he would update it 'asap'. If the updates have been done, I'm still looking for a jpg copy so I can print out my own (and for all members to receive one to their email addresses). If the changes haven't yet been incorporated, please for goodness sake send the master file to someone who has the time to do it.
    Hi mate unless nobody else does so in the mean time i will do everyone an update tonite. Also find out about them flyers

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Chris, thanks

Btw, just in case there was any confusion, when I said 'Chris' in my previous post I was referring to Chris Miller who is the one doing to flyer update.

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re membership fees.....

Yes it looks like they will be altering. Ian S is looking into altering pages from this site to reflect the price change. When this is done we should be ready to go ahead.

Post Thanks / Like

Re flyers;
    I thought I'd posted that last Tuesday and Wednesday I telephoned the printer Miller used to see if they still had the original artwork and could edit it. So far I received an email to say they'd received my email and will look for the stuff and let me know.

I'm waiting for Sparkie to investigate with GSF to see what the status of our discount with them is and if there is a contact person as the one on the flyer has moved on.

It's not about sending something to a printer and expecting them to print it and send it back to us the same day. That's not gong to happen. The changes to artwork have to be decided, text altered, names and numbers found out first, editing done by the printer. Printing. Postage. Then suitable artwork retrieved / converted, uploaded to this site and people told where.

I have to re-write some of the back of the flyer. I've stated to the printer the changes to do to the front.

There are four sides to deal with as we need to alter the membership letters too, all need some changes.

Post Thanks / Like

More than one member has asked for a summary of all the changes/ideas that have sprung from this very important thread.
    Not me, no time and I can barely read. I can't read back though this thread.

Any volunteers?

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to let you know that Blunty has re-joined the committee.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ian.

Yes you did post that. Although you didn't quite articulate all the things that would need to be done (and in doing so manage our expectations). Apologies if I'm jumping the gun.

From my POV it looks like there needs to be two flyers, one which includes the back et al that people can fill in, and another with just the front that members can print single-sided (on basic home printers) at will. Most people receiving them will only need the net address these days anyway.

Also, I had thought that the changes required to the artwork were minimal and agreed in any case a fair while ago (another reason for me thinking this would be a quick turn-around).

Lastly, I'm not sure whether Miller is doing the changes, or you're dealing directly with the printers (it looks like both are happening based on the posts in this thread). If it's the latter, have they yet confirmed that they have the master file? If not, they need to get us up their priority list.

IMO the single-sided version should be a quick job and an easy hit to get out to members' inboxes but up to now I've had any assurance that this is going to happen...
    Last edited by Trevhib; 28-01-2013 at 15:08.

Post Thanks / Like

there needs to be two flyers, one which includes the back et al that people can fill in, and another with just the front that members can print single-sided
    You appear to have read my mind That what I'm trying to do.

minimal and agreed in any case a fair while ago.
    yes most of it is but still it needs all the communication, printer to go through filing, etc. Rear page is a bit is more involved, difficult for a poor reader, but no-one else is jumping forward to do this.

Miller
    Directly. No. And I can't make them go faster. To get their attention I told them we'd have a few 1000 prints.

members' inboxes
    I'd not thought of mass emailing it. A large % of members don't receive their emails.

I hoped the printer would have confirmed by last Wednesday that he had the original files. I posted a thread last August in the committee forum with proposed changes. It's very hard to get any progress made when people ignore posts and requests for information and help.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Ian.

I did mention at least twice in this thread that the club should send the updated flyer frontage to members email addresses. The emails members used to sign up via Paypal must be in use!? Even if there is a disparate database, 200 out 400 is still 200 better than 0 out of 0 for example.

Regarding the printers (assuming I've read your response correctly), if they haven't even confirmed they have the artwork within this last week then there's a problem as it means they haven't even started. We are paying them so we want a date for completion. Where's that committee bulldog, this is the perfect job to chase?

Basically, if they have the master artwork then we want it, not at the end of the print job at an as yet undetermined date/time but a copy in the meantime so we're at least back in control. Or a copy from Miller. If he doesn't have the time to update this thing then why not get the master file from him and absolve him of any responsibility on this issue. Someone else in the membership base can make changes (at least to the front) and get it out to members.

Post Thanks / Like

I vote Trev for bulldog ...jeeeezzz louise ..if all that energy was channeled outside the forum Just an observation

Post Thanks / Like

I think Miller does not have originals now, if at all.

We're not paying the printer yet. Only after he does something. If he does something. They might be very busy, we can either wait or someone else, not me, can design something from new based on the one in the filing. Best to wait a while. we've waited for a log time so far. Members can print and use the one in the files if they want. I just needs a bit crossing out, etc.

If they find they do have the original, then he said it's a few minutes work to edit it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Ian.

I did mention at least twice in this thread that the club should send the updated flyer frontage to members email addresses. The emails members used to sign up via Paypal must be in use!? Even if there is a disparate database, 200 out 400 is still 200 better than 0 out of 0 for example.

Regarding the printers (assuming I've read your response correctly), if they haven't even confirmed they have the artwork within this last week then there's a problem as it means they haven't even started. We are paying them so we want a date for completion. Where's that committee bulldog, this is the perfect job to chase?

Basically, if they have the master artwork then we want it, not at the end of the print job at an as yet undetermined date/time but a copy in the meantime so we're at least back in control. Or a copy from Miller. If he doesn't have the time to update this thing then why not get the master file from him and absolve him of any responsibility on this issue. Someone else in the membership base can make changes (at least to the front) and get it out to members.
    It's frustrating reading this!

Post Thanks / Like

Matt, I think you were the other person suggested for the proposed new committee position. Are you interested in taking it on?

From PM conversations it would seem that one of the biggest problems is that committee is so loosely joined and lacking in overall direction (new members notwithstanding).

Even if the new members are enthusiastic, if they are met with the lack of cohesion and direction that the rest of the committee suffer (no offence intended at any 1 member of the committee), then they'll fall down the same hole.

A master list of deliverables and the status (and some shove), would really be useful IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Cole View Post
    It's frustrating reading this!
    It shouldn't be. I already answered all those points. They're not point that exist as it were. Apart from the email suggestion but I'm not sure the website mass email facility can email an attachment. So that would have to be established first anyway. The printer may not have the files. Miller may not have the files. That's the starting point, establishing who has the original, if any. They don't owe us anything. We don't owe them anything. I already said I got a response on perhaps Thursday or Friday to say they will look.

Do you suggest we pay this printer money just to go and have a look? They still might not if they're busy.

We need someone / people to actually go and do stuff. Not someone to p1ss off the key workers by goading them constantly but offering no action. We had that already on this committee and it caused arguments, divisions and people to resign. And I'm not talking about this year with people leaving because I asked some simple questions, to try and establish some simple facts, and people injected their own imagined emotional content into my words where there was none, and drew out messages that weren't there.

We only need peoples email once, when they join and get the return link. From then on, if they change it, they don't need to tell us, we don't need to know. Of course they can't then have the emailed notifications but that's their choice. Other people have it switched off. There have been committee threads about mass email over the years and how much worth there is in using it for anything important. We do sometimes anyway, just in case it does reach some people.

Post Thanks / Like

Any help needed?

Post Thanks / Like

What can you do to help?

Post Thanks / Like

Pm

Post Thanks / Like

Matt, I think you were the other person suggested for the proposed new committee position. Are you interested in taking it on?

From PM conversations it would seem that one of the biggest problems is that committee is so loosely joined and lacking in overall direction (new members notwithstanding).

Even if the new members are enthusiastic, if they are met with the lack of cohesion and direction that the rest of the committee suffer (no offence intended at any 1 member of the committee), then they'll fall down the same hole.

A master list of deliverables and the status (and some shove), would really be useful IMO.
    Trev, I'm not sure what the position is?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Re membership fees.....

Ian S is looking into altering pages from this site to reflect the price change.
    Altered https://www.rtoc.org/club/

Post Thanks / Like

Great work Ian let's spread the word on this folks

Post Thanks / Like

I vote Trev for bulldog ...jeeeezzz louise ..if all that energy was channeled outside the forum Just an observation
    All that energy IS channelled outside the forum. Mainly on developing algorithms for trading the stock market. I come on here for a break, to look at other people's hard work on great little cars that I can't afford atm.
    Last edited by Trevhib; 29-01-2013 at 14:22.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Cole View Post
    Trev, I'm not sure what the position is?
    I'm not on the committee but my idea of the role would be an amalgamation of the things I've said thus far on the subject Matt.

There has been a problem identified but it's the problem itself which is stopping the solution being progressed. Go figure.

Post Thanks / Like

odd one, but just noticed this " Window sticker, tax disc holder and keyring displaying the club logo"

is that just the initial first joining thing because i havent been sent one in about 6 years

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adey aka Ewok View Post
    odd one, but just noticed this " Window sticker, tax disc holder and keyring displaying the club logo"

is that just the initial first joining thing because i havent been sent one in about 6 years
    Yes, just when you initially join up. If you haven't got one or want one I can send one out.....

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adey aka Ewok View Post

+1 same here think i might of had a keyring about 2 years ago but no tax disc holder or sticker

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoolio View Post
    Sobering numbers those.
    You should see the 21TOC numbers....

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian S View Post

Even though the 21T OC and other clubs like that are now small, they want their own club. So we won't get those cars here.
    Silly really isnt it. I dont see how a merge would harm.