Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flat rate membership fee

Quote Originally Posted by casper View Post
    Just a suggestion but if you look at bluntys Facebook group anything goes.There's still plenty of people who like to drive in a certain way and want to be able to speak about it,the last time I saw a thread like that on here someone put it had no place on the rtoc.There's always plenty of people on here yet the boards are quiet.Since I have been a member some people who seem to be on every day have never replied to anything I have put.Lots of people have though and I am grateful,iv also met a few good people and not been a member long.Its difficult when you have members that have been here years.Getting the members will be the easy part,its keeping them that's hardest.
    And that's a good thing for fb if you mention someone they are notified perhaps people miss certain things and questions bud.. So much and so many threads even I loose track

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BluntyR5GTT View Post
    it would be the 2008 period mate he did say in another post he hadnt been on rtoc for 5 yrs
    Thanks, we can do something for him then.

Committee Member
    North West Regional Area Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

that would be great if you could, like i say i have linked alex to it so he will get a notification to that post

Post Thanks / Like

I am happy to pay a higher amount, £5 is not going to hurt.

I have mentioned before, do we not have information on the renault5gtturbo.com site, I'm sure it's free to join, how many members it has etc would that then give the club some idea if its the joining fee is the problem.

Agree on the getting other cars interested, I like most Renault hatches tbh but this site is just seen as a gt turbo site, the cars are dwindling so something needs to give.

Nothing much goes on in the club up and down the country, it needs more meets and get some real buzz about it like scoffs r/r day last year. I would love to look through pictures of meets from all over the country instead of watching the same old restoration threads all the time.

I can say from my own experiance I log on less and less these days.

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

more feedback

I've had my 5 for about 6/7 years now and always thought about joining but never have! prob because i dont think my 5's good enough compaired to the nice straight ones that are on there.

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Blunty, PM the chaps user name and email address he used and I'll sort it

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

ok mate iv just asked him for details just waiting on reply

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by philg View Post

I have mentioned before, do we not have information on the renault5gtturbo.com site, I'm sure it's free to join, how many members it has etc would that then give the club some idea if its the joining fee is the problem.

Agree on the getting other cars interested, I like most Renault hatches tbh but this site is just seen as a gt turbo site, the cars are dwindling so something needs to give.

Nothing much goes on in the club up and down the country, it needs more meets and get some real buzz about it like scoffs r/r day last year. I would love to look through pictures of meets from all over the country instead of watching the same old restoration threads all the time.

Scoffs rr day was my second outing and it was quality.i

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

that was the last rr day i organised on rtoc, the other 2 were great successes as well especially the pfc mag featured one

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    i aint saying that everyone who runs one is minted and has money to burn i definatly havent but these cars are luxuries to a certain extent would you not agree there are cheaper cars to run day to day. but the point i am trying to make is 25 pound really isnt alot of money and dropping it to 15 will help i just dont believe thats the biggest factor
    Cool

Post Thanks / Like

Could the club get a small advert in some of the French mags offering a discount on the membership.

I'm registered on I think about 10 car web sites and out of them i think there is only a few where there is a joining fee.

Could the club not have a free joining fee and the option for a donation to the site, or maybe charge a fee for using the for sale section, of have restricted areas for full paying members.
    Last edited by philg; 23-01-2013 at 19:59.

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

more feedback

Because you have to pay 25 quid if you've been away for a while! would re-join if it was 10, as have been a member.

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

well thats our first old member now rejoined after a 5 yr absence (aly b)

Post Thanks / Like

It has quite alot of members but it's deader than a dodo on there most of the time apart from the odd newbie & spammer TBH
    Not having a dig but I think Andy's facebook page has near killed it as you get the same & more from his page (Facebook is the in thing & everyone is on it), progress & all that

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

i honestly dont think fb pages can ever kill forums surely? fb is good for certain things which iv mentioned a few times but a forum will always be a much more focused/dedicated place for us.

Post Thanks / Like

i honestly dont think fb pages can ever kill forums surely? fb is good for certain things which iv mentioned a few times but a forum will always be a much more focused/dedicated place for us.
    Why join a forum when facebook is easier, people are always on there, you get notified of things easier, yadda yadda. Like I say not a dig buddy, just saying they get alot of bang for no bucks from the FB site & someone is always on to give advice/abuse

Post Thanks / Like

that was the last rr day i organised on rtoc, the other 2 were great successes as well especially the pfc mag featured one
    Andy,I don't know you but you strike me as a good lad with plenty of enthusiasm so wether its Facebook or rtoc both will benefit with you on board.

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks jon im hoping get to meet you and plenty of others at the rr day in april.

Post Thanks / Like

Could the club get a small advert in some of the French mags offering a discount on the membership.
    We have a big advert, but haven't offered discount on joining.
    I'm registered on I think about 10 car web sites and out of them i think there is only a few where there is a joining fee.
    But what do they offer?
    Could the club not have a free joining fee and the option for a donation to the site
    We'd lose too much money, more than half our income = no ND.
    maybe charge a fee for using the for sale section, of have restricted areas for full paying members.
    Is it free to register and some some of the site, the rest is restricted. Classifieds is free if anyone new, other than spammers, can find it. I did talk about starting to charge a fee for advertising, like Pistonheads, but it didn't go anywhere as we'd need to change the software.

Post Thanks / Like

I think there is a feeling that to rejoin from a lapsed membership £25 would be charged.

So a flat rate would stop that erroneous belief. Provided those people weren't still put off by £15.

I wonder if the site would be more attractive if the articles and classifieds sections were easier to see and use.

Post Thanks / Like

would you like me to tag you in the post so you get notified when there is a reply? just had first feedback
    It's ok, I don't get on FB that much, but if you could keep us posted on here that would be great Plus I'm not on the Committee, so it's not as if I can do anything about the feedback anyway

Just seen you've helped an old member re-join. Good darts mate

Post Thanks / Like

The mlr site is free to join but you only get 30 free posts a month. It would give people full access to the site to get a bit of a feel for it.

South East Regional Rep soapymech's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Could the club not have a free joining fee and the option for a donation to the site, or maybe charge a fee for using the for sale section, of have restricted areas for full paying members.
    think the fee maintains nd and pod also this site so if we could get the joining fee down as much as possible and not restrict members in any way it would be better, cliqe and all that.
    What with parts getting more desirable and expensive I see the shop playing more of a role.

Post Thanks / Like

well thats our first old member now rejoined after a 5 yr absence (aly b)

well done

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

from what i can see there should be another 3 old members rejoining and 2 new members so in total 6 not bad for just a few hours last night on fb

Post Thanks / Like

Well done blunty single handed saving Rtoc keep it up

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JRP View Post
    Well done blunty single handed saving Rtoc keep it up

Post Thanks / Like

Great stuff.

The word needs to go around (everywhere, not just FB), that if you were an RTOC member previously, that it's not going to cost £25 to rejoin.

Post Thanks / Like

More meets needs more members. We're too thinly spread. Plenty goes on up and down the country in proportion to how many active members there are.

As for 'the same old restoration threads' Phil, for me they have been the best thing about RTOC in the last couple of years (yours especially). A lot more GTT's saved from the scrap heap, improved quality of work, it's been really exciting to watch as more and more resto threads have appeared. I've learnt a lot and the encouragement from other members to get the job finished has resulted in some great outcomes!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    More meets needs more members. We're too thinly spread. Plenty goes on up and down the country in proportion to how many active members there are.

As for 'the same old restoration threads' Phil, for me they have been the best thing about RTOC in the last couple of years (yours especially). A lot more GTT's saved from the scrap heap, improved quality of work, it's been really exciting to watch as more and more resto threads have appeared. I've learnt a lot and the encouragement from other members to get the job finished has resulted in some great outcomes!

Agree on both points Trev. More members would get more of a buzz on the site and get more meets organised, we can blame a lot on the weather last year, but i have been available for a local meets for a good 3 years now, im even prepared to travel so far and thats saying something in those dam seats of mine I think the guys down south seem to do there bit on meets better than us northern folk .

As for builds i like them to, especially when done to a high standard or a really trick engine conversion. This was not meant as a dig, just we need some really good buzz threads about local meets, r/r days, track days, ring trips and our national day.

I have not been on the site for as long as some, but its regrettable that threads like this keep popping up looking for ways to get numbers up and organize better days out.

Think we are all guilty of the same bug, standard looking cars are whats desirable now, gone are the day of carisma kits and crazy exhausts popping out of tailgates and anyone ever putting a car on like that would get ripped to shreds and never come back.

Ditching the gt turbo label with this site and getting other renault members on board is the way forwards imo

Great that bluntys back on the scene, good stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

i haven't read the whole thread so maybe it has been mentioned before but the thing that kept me from joining the club was the lack of access without being a paid member.

i didn't knew the club or forum but been told there's alot of knowledge around here, i was fortunate i had a friend who was a member already so i could have a peek inside.

after that i decided to join up for myself. maybe it's a good idea to give new members full acces for a week or so, or maybe still restricted access but more into the technical discussions. so they can see for themselves how much this club has to offer.

ofcourse there will always be lads who only look for info that week and never join but hey, would they have joined otherwise?

Post Thanks / Like

It's not a bad idea, if it's technically possible, to have like a 'x' number of days full pass for free. Could it be controlled by IP address?

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the idea of letting people have x amount time free is not technically possible with our software...

Post Thanks / Like

Unless perhaps Scoff were to find a way to write some more custom hacks which is not likely. There is a timer he created that shows the 30 day notice before account expiry. we're not going to manually keep a list and give every new member a free period, it has to be automatically done by the system.

It's further complicated by us having to fully moderate all new applications. That is we now manually vet every one of them as that seems to be the only way to stop spammers registering at a rate of several per day. Penfold found 550 spammers as registered users! We've been deleting them but it takes time.

A new hobby for me over the last few weeks has been checking each IP address and adding it to a banned list within the RTOC vB forum. I'm now seeing that's not working as banned IP's are being re-used.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
    Unless perhaps Scoff were to find a way to write some more custom hacks which is not likely. There is a timer he created that shows the 30 day notice before account expiry. we're not going to manually keep a list and give every new member a free period, it has to be automatically done by the system.

It's further complicated by us having to fully moderate all new applications. That is we now manually vet every one of them as that seems to be the only way to stop spammers registering at a rate of several per day. Penfold found 550 spammers as registered users! We've been deleting them but it takes time.

A new hobby for me over the last few weeks has been checking each IP address and adding it to a banned list within the RTOC vB forum. I'm now seeing that's not working as banned IP's are being re-used.
    I think we have found the very first task we need to look at as a priority.......the website! I agree with all that a free trial would be beneficial in the long run. I also think that we should provide some free memberships to some lucky people of other relative clubs who can hopefully spread the joy and attend national day.

Ian,

the commitee really needs to get together now and discuss the way forward. People are coming up with ideas and are willing to help out but this must be controlled by the club officials as people are now implementing ideas of their own withought discussion from the club hierachy!

Post Thanks / Like

Matt, the reason these things are starting to happen ad-hoc is because good ideas in the past haven't had backing from the committee. Not because they weren't good ideas but because there wasn't enough capacity within committee's spare time to discuss and implement them. They've been waiting for a simple flyer update for a year for goodness sake.

A lot of the committee's time is taken up by keeping the website running (which includes the shop), and organising and paying for ND. The technical issues with the website are manifold and the ND a pain in the butt from all perspectives, including financial.

Then you have committee members leaving which makes it yet more difficult for those that remain.

So it's no surprise that there are people who have decided to just get on and do things.

You are right though, ideally it should all be done under the guidance of the committee and the only way to do that is to reform the way people get on and off it, enlarge the number of roles, define roles/responsibilities and then fill the bloody positions with people who can devote enough time to the club.

I'd like to know just how much coherence and communication there is between committee members. Is there even a weekly conference call to chat about club matters for example? Skype works a treat.

Post Thanks / Like

Matt, the reason these things are starting to happen ad-hoc is because good ideas in the past haven't had backing from the committee. Not because they weren't good ideas but because there wasn't enough capacity within committee's spare time to discuss and implement them. They've been waiting for a simple flyer update for a year for goodness sake.

A lot of the committee's time is taken up by keeping the website running (which includes the shop), and organising and paying for ND. The technical issues with the website are manifold and the ND a pain in the butt from all perspectives, including financial.

Then you have committee members leaving which makes it yet more difficult for those that remain.

So it's no surprise that there are people who have decided to just get on and do things.

You are right though, ideally it should all be done under the guidance of the committee and the only way to do that is to reform the way people get on and off it, enlarge the number of roles, define roles/responsibilities and then fill the bloody positions with people who can devote enough time to the club.

I'd like to know just how much coherence and communication there is between committee members. Is there even a weekly conference call to chat about club matters for example? Skype works a treat.
    Communication.... erm can be limited.... can be very indepth...

Thats why we have the boards for us, so we can access it 24/7....Heres a screenshot

We do hold conference calls when we need to discuss things like ND/POD... but with most things not everyone was able to commit (Myself being one of those as I worked evenings/overnight and weekend)

But I would say communication been us isnt to bad, we also have each other telephone numbers to call/txt, email address and can pm via here...

I do think that we could do with a few new members on board either as Committee or part of the RTOC team...

Post Thanks / Like

Ooh, really interesting

Good to see there's some structure. I notice 5 threads have seen action since the turn of the year.

Old events calendar - 0 replies
    Filling roles 2013 - 4 replies
    PFC advertising - 4 replies
    Membership renewals
    RTOC festival - 7 replies

I realise that there will be a lot of ongoing work with memberships but are there things going on that aren't reflected in the screenshot? As (ignoring the membership thread), there's less than 1 committee post a day since the New Year. With 8 people on the committee (I think), it means an average of less than 1 post per week, per committee member...

EDIT - I don't mean that to sound like nobody on the committee does anything but it would be good to understand how much is done and by who. Otherwise how can you identify what needs tending to.

Post Thanks / Like

Trev, Remember that over the winter its pretty quiet for us...

ND has already been booked and was booked along time ago...

Website is pretty much ticking over, we have been let down so much with professional companies, we cant seem to find anybody willing to do the custom work for RTOC.

The biggest issue recently was Spammers (Notice how recently we havent had the forum spammed)

The Koni suspension kit was more or less 99% arranged by Wallace (think it was him anyway), He and Ian S no doubt exchanged a few emails - committee didnt need to be involved as such...

Now we have this thread all these new ideas/people offering to help I have no doubt the committee boards will get a flurry of action...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Penfold, and thanks for continuing to answer my questions

It makes sense that it's a quiet period in January but then if that's the case, from a member's perspective you'd hope that with the breathing room this time of year affords, some of the good ideas posted by the membership base in threads over the previous 12 months might have been collated and perhaps looked at. To see what might have potential.

It does seem that there needs to be constant chivvying up of each other within the leadership but then I guess that's natural when folk are doing it out of the goodness of their hearts.

You're right, here does seem to have been some really good impetus from this thread so I do hope it's picked up on.

Incidentally, from your point of view, is there anyone in the committee that is really leading from the front?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Penfold, and thanks for continuing to answer my questions

It makes sense that it's a quiet period in January but then if that's the case, from a member's perspective you'd hope that with the breathing room this time of year affords, some of the good ideas posted by the membership base in threads over the previous 12 months might have been collated and perhaps looked at. To see what might have potential.

It does seem that there needs to be constant chivvying up of each other within the leadership but then I guess that's natural when folk are doing it out of the goodness of their hearts.

You're right, here does seem to have been some really good impetus from this thread so I do hope it's picked up on.

Incidentally, from your point of view, is there anyone in the committee that is really leading from the front?
    Ian S is the back bone of RTOC/Committee - Love him or Hate him (I am sure he will admit sometimes his Passion for RTOC gets peoples backs up)

Ian does do soooo much work behind the scenes, emails, telephone calls, PM's etc...

I feel the committee dont need to get any bigger... Personally just needs to ask members to help, elect members to be RTOC helpers as such.

Post Thanks / Like

Knowing Ian and speaking to him it sounds like you need one more role - Ian's go-getter.

To face inward, to chase round/encourage/assist other committee members where progress appears slow, and to make the group more cohesive, and also to face outward to the membership base to collect/collate all good ideas (and provide insight as to the interim status on matters that seem to have drifted).
    Last edited by Trevhib; 24-01-2013 at 18:06.

Post Thanks / Like

Trev I pretty much agree with your comments above and the rest of your posts in this thread

It's obvious that people are passionate and want to get their ideas heard and implemented. They just want to get on and do it! The problems come when The ideas aren't discussed within the committee thoroughly and limit the possibility of some thing backfiring against the club. I know of one instance on another thread where a member has come up with a great idea for a you tube channel and a committee member has said 'just do it' with i guess no details of what's to be included on the channel or suggested to have the rest of the commitee /club to moderate prior to going live!

IMO that's pretty irresponsible and would certainly not be tolerated in any other organisation with a correct structure in place!

Maybe it's come to the point where the club should look at becoming a business with a paid team to oversee the daily tasks.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with that Matt. Perhaps Steve thought that no-one on the committee would do it.

I think there isn't the income to pay people to run the club. Also we'd need to pay tax, banking fees, and have audited accounts.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Cole View Post
    I know of one instance on another thread where a member has come up with a great idea for a you tube channel and a committee member has said 'just do it' with i guess no details of what's to be included on the channel or suggested to have the rest of the commitee /club to moderate prior to going live!

IMO that's pretty irresponsible and would certainly not be tolerated in any other organisation with a correct structure in place!
    It's not the spanish inquisition Matt, were an internet based car club. I don't see the harm in creating an RTOC youtube channel that will help pull all of the various video's taken at various RTOC days/events together in one place, rather than searching youtube looking for them?

I've said before Matt, if someone would like to take over from me they're welcome to it, no hard feelings. I'd be delighted to go back to just attending the events etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve - Raider View Post
    I don't see the harm in creating an RTOC youtube channel
    Neither does anyone else

The point was simply that the content might be better being committee vetted, that all

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
    Neither does anyone else

The point was simply that the content might be better being committee vetted, that all
    Who's going to sit & be the censor then Ian? What are the right attributes for that position? You'd dam near have to be a magistrate or maybe Judge Dredd. Why make more work and red tape for the committee to do?

Just my view.

Post Thanks / Like

That's why we need bigger committee

Post Thanks / Like

Leading on from other thread, Robbo is right that there are hardly any committee left. I personally have invested three full days this week into the RTOC. How about you?

Three days that I NEEDED to be doing other stuff, but here the need was greater but I'm not going to carry on putting in the hours like I used to. The load needs to be better shared.

Post Thanks / Like

Vet the footage lol, I'm with Steve, is this china are we under censorship? Maybe it's Russia post ww2

It's gets worse