Post Thanks / Like

air filter inclosed or not inclosed?

What are people's oppions on inclosed air filters?
    I was thinking of getting this then have a 3" 45 degree hard pipe to the turbo. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=290597718222

Then I saw this but never had one in a box before. The seller reckons its good for up to 500bhp. What's the affect on comp surge sound? http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=221144824503

Post Thanks / Like

Re: air filter inclosed or not inclosed?

If youv got it mounted at front someowhere im sure its fine anyway, but il let other people comment.

And i guess it would probably make induction/compressor noise abit quiter

Post Thanks / Like

Havnt got anything yet was getting people's oppinions. Im not too sure on inclosed filters myself just wanted to see what otther people think.

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been thinking of that box setup for mine and ditching the k&n cone as all it must be doing is sucking in hot air as I have no real airflow through the back l. Gary is your filter not in a nice airflow path?

Post Thanks / Like

I have no filter at all filter would prob end up between n/s light and rad behind the bumper.

Post Thanks / Like

Without commenting on what real world results are, the theory is obviously quite simple. The cooler the air going into the turbo, the cooler it will be coming out the other side and therefore, the cooler it will be again after the intercooler.

Some who have the Morette Twin Headlight conversion often remove the LH inboard light (driving light) and fit a ram pipe to feed the area behind the LH Headlight (where the Header Tank sits but). If that area is isolated (and Header Tank relocated), then the local air will be a fair bit cooler.

The above is effectively what Renault have tried to achieve with the standard setup (the isolation I mean).

To take full advantage of all of this you'd probably need to insulate the entire induction pipe run!?

Those who have actually done it could tell you what benefits were had, if any.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the above fitted Gary, looks a nice bit of kit. As mentioned it does keep the turbo noises right down.

I honestly can not say if there was any improvement in power though. I have however left it on, so it must be doing the job.

Post Thanks / Like

The enclosed type was restricting airflow causing the tip pipe to suck in on my mates 20vt ibiza...that was the expensive bmc cda airbox too, steer clear imo

Post Thanks / Like

mine as you know gary is completely inclosed and i think it is working well and looks alot smarter. I do think you need a good amount of air feeding it as well though as someone also commented on taking a feed from the twin headlight conversion which many have done and probably works well i chose not to run those headlights just for looks to my car and chose to get the wing louvered and its drawing air in quite well and gives a lovely chatter sound as well

Post Thanks / Like

I think that is definatly one of the best engine bays i have ever seen phill simply stunning

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking of moving the headder tank and doing what you have done phill. Maybe not completely enclose it but have a cold air feed. I really don't want to loose the surge sound so I'm thinking one in a box isno good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SCHWARTZ View Post
    I was thinking of moving the headder tank and doing what you have done phill. Maybe not completely enclose it but have a cold air feed. I really don't want to loose the surge sound so I'm thinking one in a box isno good.
    Come out for a spin one time mate and then tell me what you think if I have lost the compressor surge sound mate also I closed mine in to keep the heat from the engine bay away from the filter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    I think that is definatly one of the best engine bays i have ever seen phill simply stunning
    Many thanks mate

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you will loose it too much the way you have done it matey ment the ones in the plastic boxes like in the link more so. Think il buy an open filter and move the headder tank.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    I'll second that.

So much want!