Post Thanks / Like

F3N conversion

hi guys, happy monday

anyone ever done an f3n conversion? like the gte, i think its and f3n....?....
    but i dont mean the usual volvo 1.7 turbo (b18ft) i literally mean the straight 1.7

besides the reno 19 and the volvo 440 & 480, where else can i find one of these?? i have a spare campus knocking about so wouldnt mind putting a 1.7 in it, all other mods will come first of coarse such as brakes suspension and so on so got quite a bit of time before an engine is needed

many thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Re: F3N conversion

Could try a Renault 11 gtx, Renault 9 gtx or you could try a Renault 5 gtx

Non-member Matt@CodeRedMotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You mean the 1.7 n/a engine or did you want to do do a clio RSI conversion?

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to find the gtx etc!!

Yeah just want the straight 1.7, would be quite a lot of fun I would have thought, not looking for a Clio engine but if I can't find the f3n then I suppose that would be the next avenue to venture down

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Clio RSI engine f3p tho, but ive converted my GTE to 1.8 engine, easy to do..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CoooL View Post
    Clio RSI engine f3p tho, but ive converted my GTE to 1.8 engine, easy to do..
    oh ok, thats sounds ace, will be looking into that also then. just thought i would do something else rather than the usual c1j, as much as i love them engines though. you got any pics on your profile of it?

Post Thanks / Like

Clio rsi uses same cam as b18ft but higher lift is basicly the same engine. Why don't you want a turbo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SCHWARTZ View Post
    Clio rsi uses same cam as b18ft but higher lift is basicly the same engine. Why don't you want a turbo
    ah ok thats handy to know.... i duno i just like natural aspiration sometimes lol... i had a c1j in a campus i had a few years back and it was constantly breaking down, i know they are great engines but i really think they require a driver that has decent knowledge and know how about them

Post Thanks / Like

i once chatted to someone who was putting the 2 litre 8v lump out of a laguna in their campus for rallying..... he reckoned it was easy to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    i once chatted to someone who was putting the 2 litre 8v lump out of a laguna in their campus for rallying..... he reckoned it was easy to do.
    yeah ive seen that done before, it was in telford for a while. a bloke carlos i met im sure sold it (im pretty sure hes on here)

Post Thanks / Like

Just whack a b18ft in and be done? The conversion will be reliable enough if done well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brigsy View Post
    Just whack a b18ft in and be done? The conversion will be reliable enough if done well.
    might do but im going to venture down the n/a route first, see if i can source a decent engine or donor car, rsi route is looking tempting

Post Thanks / Like

Rsi lumps are slow mate ill be honest. If your heart is set on n/a fit a 16v lump f7p or f7r, will be miles better

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brigsy View Post
    Rsi lumps are slow mate ill be honest. If your heart is set on n/a fit a 16v lump f7p or f7r, will be miles better
    hummmmm now youve got my mind ticking

im not drastically concerned for speed because i probs wont track it, and theres no point in having a drastically fast car just to pop to tesco haha. but is nice to have a bit of poke for the summer down the country lanes, it may boil down to what is easier to get hold of

i treat my cars like i used to bikes, but since i nearly killed myself my missus wont allow me to get another bike, fair enough i spose :/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ren_5hitbox View Post
    Hard to find the gtx etc!!

Yeah just want the straight 1.7, would be quite a lot of fun I would have thought, not looking for a Clio engine but if I can't find the f3n then I suppose that would be the next avenue to venture down
    Lol got a gtx one in my basement with gearbox and carb still on it. im way up north though. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

B18ft is an easy and reliable conversion will get you near it to the 200bhp mark with little effort (volvo green injectors and bigger turbo and a n/a cam) anything more than that and you've got to fit bigger injectors and this means tricking the maf and reliability can be compromised along with fuel economy.

Leeds & South Yorkshire Area Rep
    Loose Bolts Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SCHWARTZ View Post
    B18ft is an easy and reliable conversion will get you near it to the 200bhp mark with little effort (volvo green injectors and bigger turbo and a n/a cam) anything more than that and you've got to fit bigger injectors and this means tricking the maf and reliability can be compromised along with fuel economy.
    b18ft is the way to go

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B18ftMOJO5 View Post
    Lol got a gtx one in my basement with gearbox and carb still on it. im way up north though. Lol

dude your in blackburn, i work up that way quite often would be very interested, will inbox you

i know what everyone else is saying about the b18ft, great engine. might leave that for a later date tho as i have a couple of shells now

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in nottingahm bud so not as far a hike so how much to carbon wrap the roof? I have more pressing things to take care of but would be nice to know.. It's a sunroof model and in great condition.. The reason I was thinking of it is because last summer when it rained then sunshine it kept leaving bleach spots all over the roof and bonnet iv changed the bonnet to carbon already.. Cheers.

Sorry wrong post please delete!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nottswoody View Post
    I'm in nottingahm bud so not as far a hike so how much to carbon wrap the roof? I have more pressing things to take care of but would be nice to know.. It's a sunroof model and in great condition.. The reason I was thinking of it is because last summer when it rained then sunshine it kept leaving bleach spots all over the roof and bonnet iv changed the bonnet to carbon already.. Cheers.

Sorry wrong post please delete!!
    will inbox you bud

Post Thanks / Like

dude your in blackburn, i work up that way quite often would be very interested, will inbox you

i know what everyone else is saying about the b18ft, great engine. might leave that for a later date tho as i have a couple of shells now
    Lmao have to agree with the b18ft advice...thats the route ive gone.

Post Thanks / Like

F7P/R will be heavy up front but pull like an absolute train in a 5 shell

My vote would be the RSI engine, lighter and almost as quick as an F7P, probably better actually as it'll give you a bit more low down grunt and less top end

Non-member Matt@CodeRedMotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

An R5 with a good F7 engine does go very well, especially with bike barbs.....
    https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=30622

Post Thanks / Like

hey guys, sorry i havent replied. im not rude, just had a crazy xmas and new year. food poisoning followed by the noro virus followed by a chest infection boohoo poor me. ah well life goes on, now i can start thinking about the car again.

how is everyone?

Post Thanks / Like

Hey thought you given up are you still guna do that 1.7 conversion?

Post Thanks / Like

nah not given up mate, was in the hospital most of jan

but yeah, id love to do the 1.7 conversion still just got a few work projects to get out the way and get start getting back on with it

Post Thanks / Like

nah not given up mate, was in the hospital most of jan

but yeah, id love to do the 1.7 conversion still just got a few work projects to get out the way and get start getting back on with it
    Yea i was intrested in this because its certainly something out of the ordinary. At least your better now cars can always wait

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    Yea i was intrested in this because its certainly something out of the ordinary. At least your better now cars can always wait
    After owning many renault 5 gtx's and monaco i agree with you there mate. For these small roads the 1.7f2n is a great drive ian. No loss of traction. 90bhp.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post

cheers mate cant wait to get involved with it. will be my first transplant in a car! so might go pete tong but im sure it will be fun like