Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My engine rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by Brigsy View Post
    Up the boost to your desired level..aim for afr's high 11's-12 flat. You need to listen for det too without any means for listening for knock your asking for trouble
    What are you guys running? I think you both run a t28?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nottswoody View Post
    What are you guys running? I think you both run a t28?
    pretty much, brigsy's is a roller bearing turbo, and i suppose it will flow more than a t28 that i run.

is yours a .49 exhaust housing and a t3 comp housing?

Post Thanks / Like

I think so I'm sure it's a .49 but not sure on the rest I will have a look through the as mark put up..

I have a T28 turbocharger here for sale that is suited for the C1J engine

It has a .42AR compressor housing and a .49AR exhaust housing, not too sure on wheel trims
    Was used recently so not been sat around for long, in good condition with minimal up and down play. Comes with a -31 actuator, not too sure what the boost is set to though
    Has silicone 90deg oil return pipe still attached and exhaust elbow still attached which are sold with the turbo

Post Thanks / Like

Same housings as mine, the wheels could be totally different tho. Good for 200+ anyway, at around 22/23psi.

Post Thanks / Like

As far as boost goes, last time i set mine up i basically kept winding it up until the engine knocked, then went back a couple of lb. Ill be honest i struggled to keep the carb bowl full.

You need to be making sure your not emptying the carb bowl in 4th too when setting up.

Post Thanks / Like

As far as boost goes, last time i set mine up i basically kept winding it up until the engine knocked, then went back a couple of lb. Ill be honest i struggled to keep the carb bowl full.

You need to be making sure your not emptying the carb bowl in 4th too when setting up.
    Coming to work this morning at 5am I gave it some wellie still at 10psi and the AFRs were 14 sat on tick over so no probs there then just normal off boost driving it was 12s to 12.5 then floor it then it seems to goto 10s then 11s.. When I finish here the boost is going up to about 17 I think see what happens got my note pad to right things down as I forget things with too much going in

Post Thanks / Like

It's worth mentioning that whilst doing a pull in fourth gear, you need to make sure you don't lift off then back on again, this will hide any flote emptying issues, be careful as when the flote does empty the afrs lean right off very quickly, at 20+ psi takes a matter of seconds for total destruction

what fuel pump are you using? And have to changed the fuel reg?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GTphil View Post
    It's worth mentioning that whilst doing a pull in fourth gear, you need to make sure you don't lift off then back on again, this will hide any flote emptying issues, be careful as when the flote does empty the afrs lean right off very quickly, at 20+ psi takes a matter of seconds for total destruction

what fuel pump are you using? And have to changed the fuel reg?
    So you want to sit in fourth off boost then just floor it and keep it floored until you hit the revs your planning on revving to. Another point to make is although it fuels for a pull in fourth, doing a run at pod particularly with slicks will highlight any fueling issues sooner as you go right through each gear with a high amount of load on the engine due to the grip the slicks provide.

Post Thanks / Like

Guess if better calm it for a bit then as its still standard fpr and I'm running a phase1 pump.. Two things I know I need but funds ran out..

Post Thanks / Like

Guess if better calm it for a bit then as its still standard fpr and I'm running a phase1 pump.. Two things I know I need but funds ran out..
    Phase 1 pump should be upto the job the fpr however probably wants changing to a rising rate one or an adjustable one. Although on my brothers engine the phase one pump wasn't upto the job it would empty the bowl at 16psi or so, that was most probably the original pump so maybe that's why it wasn't upto it. As soon as we fitted a cheap efi pump it was ok upto 21psi then it started to empty again, haven't yet tryed it with the adjustable fpr, going to be on the rollers this Wednesday and we will see how the fuel system copes with some boost.

Post Thanks / Like

Actuator turned a coupe of turns so off for a test drive (off to work) lets see how she gets on with a bit more boost

Post Thanks / Like

Did you make it there..... and hopefully back?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Walker View Post
    Did you make it there..... and hopefully back?
    Yes bud only up by 0.2 bar so 0.9 now not overly impressed as I'm still used to the snap of 1.5 bar the tomcat gave me daily AFRs seeme better so heading in the right direction hopefully plus traffic was to bad for 6-7 grand runs will push it up a couple or few mor psi on the way home though as there will be less traffic todeal with..

Post Thanks / Like

Right then lads... Fourth gear 6500 revs and flat 10s on the Afr still 0.9bar.. Talk to me

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Turn the boost up

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Reed View Post
    Turn the boost up
    Definitely, it needs at least another bar! ok maybe that's a little exaggeration, just think about it like this, your second stage is 1.3 your A/C is 1mm and your running boost that a standard carb wouldn't be far off fueling for

I would say give it at least 1.1 bar..... And see how you get on, t28's are pants at low boost they seem to start to get in their stride at around 20lb or so

I'm presuming your measuring the boost from the aei line?

Post Thanks / Like

Yea phil I'm wanging it up now I'm going for 18 psi but taking the tools with me for on the way home tonight.. it juts seemed even power if that makes sense? Temps were good and pressures were good. Only thing is I have a touch of man flu so finding it hard to get motivated.. See how we get on today

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea phil I'm wanging it up now I'm going for 18 psi but taking the tools with me for on the way home tonight.. it juts seemed even power if that makes sense? Temps were good and pressures were good. Only thing is I have a touch of man flu so finding it hard to get motivated.. See how we get on today
    Man up nottswoody get some boost in your system and you'll be fine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nad-5GTT View Post
    Man up nottswoody get some boost in your system and you'll be fine
    its up I'm just stuck at work so can't try it yet I set it at 1.4bar for on the way home
    Pulled well on the way here it seems really even not as snappy as the t25 see how it boosts later..

Post Thanks / Like

heavy duty clips my arse full chat and my intercooler pipe blew off **** myself lol.. It's getting there pulls well all the way through think the DV has to come off far too many joins for bigger boy boost.. Felt good till it popped

Post Thanks / Like

heavy duty clips my arse full chat and my intercooler pipe blew off **** myself lol.. It's getting there pulls well all the way through think the DV has to come off far too many joins for bigger boy boost.. Felt good till it popped
    Always an issue once the boost starts to increase, loose the dv, they are gay anyway i have even blown boost hoses with mikalor clips on, i find once they blow they need a good de-grease with thinners on the inside of the hose and whatever it pushes over then the grip from the clip is a million times better.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've seen a vid where the bloke used hairspray too, it worked well.

Post Thanks / Like

Not happy my oil pressure (standard) has started going up an down when I rev it the gauge went down then up then high pressure then low the normal checked and no leaks.. That bit I'm mad about I was chasing an st at the time I think I'm running about 15psi now will check the flow tomorrow and change the sender for my old one I know that one works correctly..

Post Thanks / Like

doesnt make alot of sense mate..... then again.... neither do renault oil pressure gauges.... and for that matter neither does the actuall oil pressure lol.

Post Thanks / Like

When id slightly cracked a piston my pressure was at 80 at turnover then 35 idle then 60-100 on boost and it was breathing like a motherf.......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Walker View Post
    doesnt make alot of sense mate..... then again.... neither do renault oil pressure gauges.... and for that matter neither does the actuall oil pressure lol.
    We're should I start looking? It was exactly the same this morning no smoke no smell and no knocking just the gauge telling me different readings..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Red October View Post
    When id slightly cracked a piston my pressure was at 80 at turnover then 35 idle then 60-100 on boost and it was breathing like a motherf.......
    I take it you had an aftermarket oil reader?

Post Thanks / Like

Standard oil pressure gauge is crap, get an aftermarket one fitted matey

Post Thanks / Like

Standard oil pressure gauge is crap, get an aftermarket one fitted matey
    Will do bud but what should I be looking for?
    Basicly when I get home I will take off te turbo oil feed into a cup and as long as that's getting good oil pumped we should be golden shouldn't we?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

As brigsy said.. Get a mechanical after market gauge.. I can never understand why peeps spend all this money then don't have an oil pressure gauge fitted...

Post Thanks / Like

As brigsy said.. Get a mechanical after market gauge.. I can never understand why peeps spend all this money then don't have an oil pressure gauge fitted...
    Will do guys I hope it is just the gauge its not as if I'm running crazy boost yet

Post Thanks / Like

Hear you there Dave

It's another thing I'm sorting out, been looking at these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2808869923...=p5197.c0.m619

Like the idea of adding the reliability of a modern set-up!

Does anyone have any links of a kit that would do the job?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    Hear you there Dave

It's another thing I'm sorting out, been looking at these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2808869923...=p5197.c0.m619

Like the idea of adding the reliability of a modern set-up!

Does anyone have any links of a kit that would do the job?

The one in the link would be fine, stick with mechanical (maybe old school) but there's less to go wrong

Post Thanks / Like

Well thanks to chris he's sent me a gauge cheers Chris I will just need the fixings now

Post Thanks / Like

On the way home perfect reading lol bloody gauges well I hope it's that...

Post Thanks / Like

So I left work early to see if my actuator off my t25 would fit my t28 with a bit of modding it did got it fitted and went for a test drive and 20psi was given and lets just say I'm still smiling now temps good pressures good.. You can smell everything getting hot but the temps stayed normal.. I didn't go flat out but to about 5grand and that was fun.. Do you think 20s safe on a t28? 4th gear and still low 10s then high 11s what do I have todo to this carb to get in the 12s?

Post Thanks / Like

for setting up the boost afr's, I would rev it to where you would when absolutley pushing it. Like 7k or 7.5k if you want to go that far, as thats where you want the fuelling to be absolutley spot on.

I am happy to sacrafice exact fuelling lower down the revs for safer top end afr's. If something were to let go at 7k+ rpm then it aint gonna be pretty

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tubbyG View Post
    for setting up the boost afr's, I would rev it to where you would when absolutley pushing it. Like 7k or 7.5k if you want to go that far, as thats where you want the fuelling to be absolutley spot on.

I am happy to sacrafice exact fuelling lower down the revs for safer top end afr's. If something were to let go at 7k+ rpm then it aint gonna be pretty
    I haven't got "a private road" big enough for that

Think I need the 0.9 instead of the 1

Good fun though

How do you find it day to day? Has the smell gone from yours or is that just the c1j thing?

Post Thanks / Like

0.9 a/c will make it richer...stop fannying about and give it some revs, it will most likely lean off at the top

Post Thanks / Like

0.9 a/c will make it richer...stop fannying about and give it some revs, it will most likely lean off at the top
    Ha I live in the city briggsy I can't get enough room to give it the beans.. Its pod I'm after this year 15.2 can not happen again spools up somthing wicked now though as you know.. When's the closest date for pod? I think I need a trip and soon.. Anyone going soon?

Post Thanks / Like

Consider yourself told off!

in all fairness it's virtually impossible on the work run, not to mention insane, you need to do some late night private (ahem!) road fourth gear pulls, and feel that t28's real lungs!

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly, it would be mad to tune on the work run...night time tuning ftw

Post Thanks / Like

every clip was loose on my ic and I have 8 even the lobster was loose.. Hpegully that will sort it.. Think I'm going to buy all heavy dutie ones but even those ha come loose too. Any way has anyone got a pic on how to fit a bleed valve?

Post Thanks / Like

No pic but just T it into the pipe going to the actuator.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by casper View Post
    No pic but just T it into the pipe going to the actuator.
    And the bottom pipe?

Post Thanks / Like

Like this Paul

Run bottom pipe well out of the way of the turbo and manifold

Post Thanks / Like

1.4bar reached with old actuaor back on and bleed valve now fitted happy days.. Off to bed so the trip to work will come sooner.. Think it will be more fun getting there this time..

Post Thanks / Like

Trip to work was much more fun now I'm actually using the boost and I fixed my speedo it actually freeked me out seeing it as it hasn't worked for two years.. Simple things lol

Post Thanks / Like

So now running 1.6 bar but still have a few questions..
    It's running well pulls to a bar then seems to go again to 1.6 at a different rate. My car seems to come alive at 5grand onwards i cant even spin the wheels as all the powers top end is that right? not that i want to spin the wheels but my t25 used to spin all over I'm running 99 and I'm only getting 32miles to a tenner is that about right?

Cheers getting used to the lag now iv had to re learn the roads and oponats I pick.. All good so far. Got the work run down this morning from 15mins to 11 this morning

Post Thanks / Like

What would of moved the power to the top end will be the cam timing, as its timed to 112deg it will move the power band to the top end. If you want bit more lower down power and response i'd advance the cam timing abit then