Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My engine rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by Andyturbo! View Post
    U should crack 200bhp mate. Have u ever built an engine before?
    Nope popped my cherry with this one

Post Thanks / Like

Fair play then mate u done great its something I would love to do but wudnt know where to start! Took me a while to rebuild me carb last year lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andyturbo! View Post
    Fair play then mate u done great its something I would love to do but wudnt know where to start! Took me a while to rebuild me carb last year lol
    Buy the Haynes get the tools you've already joined here so your half way there and get to know good local members.. The rest you will learn along the way oh and save a lot of money lol.. It's not a lot compared with newer cars its more effort these old ones need.. Were is the fun in buying a new tuned car I'm a family man now so the mrs knows exactly were I am at all times lol (in the garage) most of it was good fun I really enjoyed it so far.. Already thinking what's next? Any ideas were I go from here guys?

Post Thanks / Like

I've got the green Haynes but I've heard the blue one is better? Mine really needs the bodywork sorting as its dent central! I was thinking of selling her not that long ago but the first boost of the new year soon changed my mind

Post Thanks / Like

I have the green too bud.. But yer the blues more for the turbo 5 but its got me through most things.. It helped me no end bud. The one thing I will say to anyone.. If I can doit anyone can doit.. You just need the right tools its cost me a few quid also buying the tools.. Time for me to get my next project saved for..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nottswoody View Post
    I have the green too bud.. But yer the blues more for the turbo 5 but its got me through most things.. It helped me no end bud. The one thing I will say to anyone.. If I can doit anyone can doit.. You just need the right tools its cost me a few quid also buying the tools.. Time for me to get my next project saved for..
    That's good to know know then pal. Wots next? Another car? Or still 5 related

Post Thanks / Like

Who knows it will be a 5 I keep seeing nice ones up for sale but ploughed all my money into this one this year.. Maybe a phase 1 next.. Or the cossie I promised myself

Post Thanks / Like

Mate do the cossie! I had a series 2 rs turbo a few year ago fast fords are addictive just like 5s

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GTphil View Post
    When i look back at the money spent I'm always thinking what else i could have done with it, a nice holiday or spent it on the house, then when i get in a drive i forget all of that and smile like a Cheshire Cat

Especially after i built my lump the first time i nailed it with 24lb under my foot priceless!
    Here's hoping lol

Post Thanks / Like

Well iv just done the first 50mile in the 5?it ran Sweet done all the 40mph to 30mph ten times to seat the rings in. No waterloss or oil clutch slipped a little bit but I guess that's the new flywheel as it was refaced so I'm guessing that will bedin aswell? I hate the paranoid feeling constantly worrying "what's that noise is the temp ok?"

Oil pressure is at 4 then raises to 5-5.5 when driving is that right?

Even got my running in sheet on the back as people was up my arse when I was bedding the rings in..

Happy so far

South West Regional Rep jesus in the seat of a 5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

good goin paul.... is there a pic of the running in sheet....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jesus in the seat of a 5 View Post
    good goin paul.... is there a pic of the running in sheet....
    Lol I will put one up tomorrow the flash makes it too bright.. My old man said iv wrote many of these in my time lad.. No one dose it any more but I am sticking to the low revs and NO RACING!!

South West Regional Rep jesus in the seat of a 5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol I will put one up tomorrow the flash makes it too bright.. My old man said iv wrote many of these in my time lad.. No one dose it any more but I am sticking to the low revs and NO RACING!!
    , good man.... every rpm over will be a £ and a dad time token wasted...

Post Thanks / Like

lol cant believe how you've stuck to it...... i couldnt resist.... pretty much nailed it from the word go.
    The first time you rev it to 7k you'll be thinking... **** did i torque that cam pulley up properely lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Walker View Post
    lol cant believe how you've stuck to it...... i couldnt resist.... pretty much nailed it from the word go.
    The first time you rev it to 7k you'll be thinking... **** did i torque that cam pulley up properely lol.
    I'm doing that now lol

Post Thanks / Like

Going well so far 120 miles done two oil leaks 1 from the dam oil pipe under the turbo and one from the dipstick. The only worrying part is I keep getting high oil pressure readings for ten mins then it gets to a normal amount.. I think I might of put too much oil in so I'm going to sort things in the morning.. Oh and why dose my t2 dump more than my t25 running more boost. Strange

Post Thanks / Like

Give it some revs and bed the rings in properly, no point in fannying about

Post Thanks / Like

rings will pass oil till there bedded in.... takes quite a few miles and heat cycles to do that.
    The amount of oil wont effect the pressure.
    It starts high as the oils cold/thicker then thins out as it warms up then the pressure drops.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not passing any oil tony it runs sweet there's just clean oil spats at the front and I noticed the dipstick was loose..

Happy so far if that's all I need to do is tighten a clip and change a dipstick then I'm happy.. And the clutch now dosnt slip.. Lesson learnt clean the flywheel and cover plate before fitting

Post Thanks / Like

Bloody rocker cover had worked its way loose or I didn't tighten it up right is ther a tourque for these bolts don't want to make it too tight and crack the paint and squash the gasket.. I can see me becoming obsessed with cleaning it now..

South West Regional Rep Alastair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Use a bit of tube over the studs to stop you over tightening them and bending the cover ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Well done m8, keep clocking those miles up, I have been giving mine a bit of boost after the first 200 miles, only been taking it to about 5-6000 rpm.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mike's r5 View Post
    Well done m8, keep clocking those miles up, I have been giving mine a bit of boost after the first 200 miles, only been taking it to about 5-6000 rpm.
    How's it feel bud? You happy?

Post Thanks / Like

Guys my t28 turned up yesterday (thanks Marky mark) do you know what thread the one way oil feed is? I'm taking the turbo to pertec today but I will be in the 5 so I can't match up the other end.. Just wonderd what the standard thread is.. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Guys my t28 turned up yesterday (thanks Marky mark) do you know what thread the one way oil feed is? I'm taking the turbo to pertec today but I will be in the 5 so I can't match up the other end.. Just wonderd what the standard thread is.. Thanks
    Any one?

Post Thanks / Like

no sorry, take some spanners whip it off while your there. Dont spill any oil on your shiny new engine tho.

Post Thanks / Like

0 miles this weekend daddy duties have kicked in.. Tuesday I have to myself so I will be putting the t28 on but boost right down.. Some blue water hoses going on as my main bleed nipple started to leak. And some shiny bits to go on too..

Gutted not to be going to Malory that's were I was hoping to rack up a good 100miles..

Post Thanks / Like

decided to give it some throttle today temptation was too much and to say i was dissapointed was an understatement i only went to 5grand and it just seemed flat my cam is timed to 112degrees do i need to go to 7grand with the little t2? somethings not right it dosnt even feel like theres anything there or is it just that im used to the tomcat?

Post Thanks / Like

What turbo? The t28's are laggy. It will feel flat unless your running a decent amount of boost..

Post Thanks / Like

FYI: my standard T2 ran out of puff at 5.5K (maybe just before)... T25 will pull further in the rev range.

Didn't I read something about bedding in the cam? or was that just each to their own?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Romil Davda View Post
    FYI: my standard T2 ran out of puff at 5.5K (maybe just before)... T25 will pull further in the rev range.

Didn't I read something about bedding in the cam? or was that just each to their own?
    Iv done this bud and about 170mikes if its not bedded in now it will never be

Bigger problems now.. report later afterwork.

Post Thanks / Like

So my main water hose nipple split on me so I changed it for a Samco one then all of a sudden it kept over heating drove it for two days after thinking I'd got air blocked.. I bled and bled for ages then it would be alright for a bit.. Took the oil filler off and it had light scum onit took the rocker off and there was scum on the passenger side. So I thought I'd re tourque the bolts one was losse a quarter turn below we're the scum was so put it all back together then ran it bled and bled it.. Thought **** it if its going to blow I want it to blow near home.. Went out and gave it death the sure enough the temps flew up again.. Checked the oil cap and no scum.. Bled and bled and bled and it went alright.. Went to work this morning and talking to a guy who just said "thermostat" then like a flash it came to me put the bloody thermostat in the wrong way round silly boy but phew!! Hopefully back on track now..

Post Thanks / Like

The good news is I have fit the oil feed off my tomcat to this t28 so that saved me £40 so hopefully get it on Sunday.. Also got the enrichment out of my other carb to swop at the same time then hopefully some bigger boosting.. So what boost would you run on my set up?

Post Thanks / Like

Minimum of 20 psi

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tubbyG View Post
    Minimum of 20 psi
    On a new build? I was thinking more 16ish? Then give it some more am I aiming to get the AFRs at 12 dead or just the low 12s? 2nd stage is at 1.3 and iv got to swop the 1.2 enrichment for the 1.. Think that will fuel it correctly for the bigger boy boost.. Is there a massive difference in t25 to t28?

Post Thanks / Like

Once you have run it in, then yeah go for it. Going up in small increments ensuring your fueling is good each time is the way.

I run at 12.3 at wot 21psi in 5th gear. Richer slightly in lower gears though which can take more boost but then runs leaner when in 5th., but others may be richer than that to be on the safe side.
    I cant comment on what difference between turbo's would be. I went from a t2/25 to t28 and the difference was vast

Post Thanks / Like

Vast as in keeping up or leaving behind Theresa a guy I see with a p1 I still have a bone to pick with lol

Post Thanks / Like

Just slowly keep on upping the boost a little at a time, you might want to think about some form of det monitoring device, 6mm hard nylon pipe and a stethoscope, bolt the steth to the cylinder head, pipe the 6mm pipe into the cabin and onto the head set. It's not fool proof and can be hard to make out whilst your travelling at warp 10 watching the afr/boost/temp/oil pressure whist trying to watch the road. Make sure the pipe can't rattle on anything either as this can make it harder to listen for, also make sure you pipe the nylon straight to the headset and noise detection thingy, no rubber hose on either end.

the boost on my engine went from 8psi to 22psi within 10 runs at pod before this it hadn't seen any boost at all, if it's gonna break it's gonna break

i would also look at a .9 air corrector, playing around with my motor and with the second stage at 1.4mm and the .9 A/C along with the malpasi reg and efi pump fuels for 24lb (manifold right up to 7k in fourth and there abouts in Fifth, i had 139mph on the sat nav a few months ago next to a Honda nsx on a private road of course, as for the p1 that might be a battle you may struggle to win with 20psi and under

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers phil your advice is always appreciated
    That's going tobe a challenge lol listening for det but if it needs to be done I will do that. I will pick another drill up tomorrow just incase I need it.

As long as I'm pissing the p1 off that will do me just fine

Post Thanks / Like

Right then here we go again...

Had a few hrs this afternoon so I thought let whack the t28 on
    Had to strip my other two turbos to get the new water journals off which was fun scrapping my knuckles got them off and fitted them to the t28.. So I also changed my carb the one below the brass pipe from a 1.2 to a 1 as I read that's a mod todo my 2nd stage is at 1.3 now.. Also changed my rocker gasket as I must of pinched I and it was leaking oil abit.. Any way slapped it all back together and I bloody shared the oil feed off thankfully between all three turbos I managed to make a pipe up .. Went out for a blast and discovers the t28 was set to 0.7bar which I think is 10psi everything went well no water or oil loss but my AFRs were crap foot down it slams to 10 low boost 11.8 then hi boost 12.5 is that about right or do I need todo anything else the reason I say this is I'm aiming for an extra 10psi ontop..

My backs broke again and the mrs said

If you touchéd me as much as you touch that ****ing car I'd be happier lol

Thinks she's getting pissed off with this car I keep telling her I'm nearly there but we all know that's not going to happen..

Post Thanks / Like

What exactly is high boost?

Post Thanks / Like

What exactly is high boost?
    Sorry phil I ment wot full chat giving it the beans peddle to the metal

Post Thanks / Like

wouldnt worry bout afrs at that boost. whack it up a bit see what it does.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry phil I ment wot
    Ok, so foot flat to the floor, so that's 10psi, what gear were you in and what revs did you take it upto?

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so foot flat to the floor, so that's 10psi, what gear were you in and what revs did you take it upto?
    3rd gear about 6grand plus watching the temps and the boost and for fuzz it's bloody hard going

Post Thanks / Like

3rd gear about 6grand plus watching the temps and the boost and for fuzz it's bloody hard going
    4th gear is the gear to be in so you need a decent stretch of tarmac if it goes slightly uphill that's even better, as you can imagine at the top of fourth you are indeed most definitely moving.

12.5 is good but once the boost gets above 18psi or so i would be looking for a little richer than that, maybe 12.2 ish hard work getting it spot on, like Tony says if your happy the lumps doing the job, then start to increase the boost a little at a time. Really WOT is all you should be concerned about at first.

Post Thanks / Like

Motorway trip tomorrow then can go up a junction or two see what happens what psi do you think I should turn it upto? Iv done 226 miles on the engine so far..

Post Thanks / Like

Up the boost to your desired level..aim for afr's high 11's-12 flat. You need to listen for det too without any means for listening for knock your asking for trouble

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brigsy View Post
    Up the boost to your desired level..aim for afr's high 11's-12 flat. You need to listen for det too without any means for listening for knock your asking for trouble
    Defiantly worth installing a steth before the boost gets to high.

Post Thanks / Like

We're would i get a stethoscope from?