Post Thanks / Like

FOCUS RS chargecooler

Does anyone / has anyone used one on the five ? Seems like a reasonably cost efficient way of doing things ?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: FOCUS RS chargecooler

Post Thanks / Like

I made the focus rs chargecooler rad fit but used one of the cheap chargecoolers off ebay, and its a cheap way of doing it but did not get a chance to test. Look in me profile pics

Post Thanks / Like

The question is will it fit? Suck it and see mr bond?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I can't really offer too much advice in this area other than to say there aren't that many Mk1 RS' knocking about so spares won't be that plentiful.

There are lots of options out there on the chargecooler front. The Pace stuff is ok, I ran the first version of this with no problems other that the pump. The newer Bosch pump is pretty bullet proof, mine was some kind of Goldfish tank contraption!? Their later stuff came in a high boost version good up to 70psi.

PWR do some of the best chargecoolers (barrel type) but are expensive but their reputation is second to none.

www.siliconeintakes.com do some cost effective solutions that friends of mine have used to great effect but all at pretty conservative boost levels <15psi.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Intercoolers are better.....not worth the hassle.

Post Thanks / Like

I use pro alloy for a lot of stuff and quality about as good as it gets. Happy to pass on my discount on any of their bits 15% off

Charge coolers can work really well, the pace stuff is not great and of very old core design etc. In the VAG 5 I used AH fabrication to rework the core and ran 2 inline pre rads etc to get the temp control right - more to do with keeping oe looks at the time which was why I never went with the I/C options

http://www.proalloy.co.uk/cgi-bin/si...35&id=proalloy

DG

Post Thanks / Like

In a nutshell...

PWR:

Pro-alloy:

Forge:

Pace:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    In a nutshell...

PWR:

Pro-alloy:

Forge:

Pace:
    PWR stuff was expensive and never delivered in my use of it - pro alloy charge cooler out performed it in every way as it did the pace one and all of the i/c options I have tested - VX220 turbo

Pace is....off the pace lol

Forge good guys to deal with but quality not the greatest imo

AH Fabrications quality up there with the best also and great gang

Pro alloy - quality and service great - have not tested the R5 kit they do but use them a lot - cant say enough good things about their products or how they run the business

DG

Post Thanks / Like

PWR CC barrel worked fine on my Raider, but sure, the barrel is only as good as the pre-rad(s) cooling the water.

Pace CC core isn't the greatest of workmanship ever seen, and their pre-rad's are shockingly inefficient. The pump isn't that much better either.

Pro-alloy gear is reasonably well made, but the fitment (read position; ie, covering/blocking of the coolant rad') of their GTT fmic kit leaves much to be desired, imho.

Forge products are so so. I wasn't impressed with their intercooler for the Evo, their fmic kit for the GTT meant you had to cut n' shut the front crossmember, and the double cap' o.e position 'cooler didn't perform anywhere as good as the GT Tuning 'breadbin'.

From the limited knowledge I have of Focus RS's, it appears the o.e CC works fine on the road @ standard ish levels of tune, but is usually replaced for an fmic if upping the power and/or using the car on track a lot, but again, it's a different engine/dynamics present, and hence may work perfectly fine on a GTT.

Post Thanks / Like

As stated never fitted or played with the R5 kit, sure they would be intereseted to hear if it needs further tweaks

Your on the money though, whatever the core used there is more to it and the pre rad plays a big part but as does the system itself including pump rates. Big thin surface area pre rad used on the vx's and works well with x2 spal fans also

Focus RS CC looks to cool well tbh - have one I was going to use on the track car but went i/c in the end for my requirments

stock i/c on a vx is no good for above 250-260bhp but on the track car with it positioned front mount more than fine for upto 300

I remember putting the big bad boy i/c kit on my old 5 was it radtec one? and coolent temps went up 20deg lol

You can reduce temps by a lot with decent ducting and cowling etc - not only air in / past the heat exhanger but getting the hot air out after also

DG

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andybond View Post
    Does anyone / has anyone used one on the five ? Seems like a reasonably cost efficient way of doing things ?
    Any particular reason for wanting to fit a chargecooler?

I would say don't bother unless you have to.

What bhp are you looking at?

Imo they are too complicated for what they are there to do which can easily be done with a well sized intercooler. I'm led to believe that the Cosworth lads have seen 300 bhp through a 2wd Cossy Cooler. I think it may be ok for a 200 bhp 5.

I made the mistake of thinking the pwr barrel cooler was the answer to all my dreams, it didnt turn out that way.

I tested a Meggy 225 intercooler on mine at Blyton last year and never saw above 36 degrees wheras my pwr was doing 60 and climbing.

The reason I'm going down the Cossie route is becsuse I already have one and I can get it to fit behind the standard grill. I'll let you know how it gets on when I've been to Scoffs.
    Last edited by TNT ANDY; 08-01-2013 at 12:31.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice folks.

Andy - I think I want one because I can .. Rather than some other daft power. I was curious to see if anyone had any experience and massive gains.

I might put the idea to bed.

I have a cossie 4*4 cooler poking out of my cut front bumper. I will change it to a 2wd one and hide it I think.

Interesting point on the meg 225 cooler ..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andybond View Post
    Thanks for the advice folks.

Andy - I think I want one because I can .. Rather than some other daft power. I was curious to see if anyone had any experience and massive gains.

I might put the idea to bed.

I have a cossie 4*4 cooler poking out of my cut front bumper. I will change it to a 2wd one and hide it I think.

Interesting point on the meg 225 cooler ..
    The meg 225 is a very good cooler - but to get it to fit on the front of a 5 without changing the bumper etc, one of the outlets will need to be moved (as I did with my 2x2 Cossie cooler. ) This would mean a very short boost run, oe front and proven working. I don't know if anyone remembers me on Blyton, but I was the turkey who cable tied a FMIC onto the front of my 5 and left the bonnet off. It worked.
    You might even be able to get the 4*4 one on low down if you cut one of the outlets off.

I don't think you will ever see massive gains obtained through your choice of intercooler, by that, I mean if everything else was left the same and you changed nothing but your intercooler, unless you're running silly boost, I don't think you will see much benefit.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember your "unique" look.

I have hte 4*4 fitted now - I see what you mean about the megane cooler. I plan to upgrade my megane cooler on my megane , so it could be a hand me down jobbie.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm currently in discussion with Lars @ AH Fabrications (only initial inquiry so far) about a proper Radiator/FMIC combo that are designed to work together for a GTT as a lot of the Australian companies are charging the world for their universal stuff, let alone anything custom!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woznaldo View Post
    I'm currently in discussion with Lars @ AH Fabrications (only initial inquiry so far) about a proper Radiator/FMIC combo that are designed to work together for a GTT as a lot of the Australian companies are charging the world for their universal stuff, let alone anything custom!
    Tell Lars I said hello really good guy and work is A1

DG