Post Thanks / Like

Basanti

Ive drove many different cars. Usually blowing up because of my entusiastic driving style. I then came across a gtx. Which i loved so much i bought 13 gtx/monaco since. My favorite one was a Grey 3 door gtx. Which caught fire just off the motorway in stafford but thats another story. Lol Anyone who has drove one knows how good and surprisingly fast they are, i have embarresed many a rep in their newer cars. The main thing i loved was how comfy those big sofa like seat are for long journey.

Im originally from Blackburn. Any way the story at hand. I used to live in Coventry. Where i had a shop. At the time i used to be driving my auto beige monaco. Saw a monaco for sale in bournmouth on gumtree or ebay. 1.7 front end smash, just the front bumper smashed and grill, cracked headlight. As it was the same colour as my auto and had done less than 20k, just had to have it. It had been lowered and had oz racing wheels almst new. Staight through stainless exhaust. The drive back didnt dissapoint the car was a top drive. I had lots of company cars. Mondeos. Passats. Scodas etc at this time. Decided to take it to blackburn for the weekend. Sat in the car started it. Letting it warm up and it cut out. Tried starting for half hour. Got a friend to put jump leads on. Called a mechanic to check it. he said timing belt snapped. Sooooo gutted. Bought a second hand engine from accy and had it put in only to find it was siezed. Double gutted.

Anyway my head office at the time was preston. They had a full workshop with 4 ramps etc. So i sent my car to them, told them to remove the engine and put me a brand new one in from renault preston. I think it was about £650 standard 1.7f2n. #told them to keep car in the main office. Not their yard. As it was more secure.#

Week later get a call telling me someone broke in and nicked your alloys. Main boss said find some on ebay and txt me item number. Two weeks later really apologetic call saying u aint gna believe this they came back and your cars on its side. Exhaust and suspension gone. I didnt speak to him for a week after a few choice words. At the time my boss drove a 911 turbo and his brother a a8 6.0 lwb. They were like it a cheap car why u so bothered. The yard where my things gt stolen from had about 200 cars in there. He said take any car from the yard. Mine probably being the oldest cheapest on there. Wdh i was begging to think maybe im not destined to drive it.

Then i saw a white five for sale in oxford. It had the conversion done and the front passenger side was smashed. Told the boss and he gave me a 1000 and said go get it. He even gave me a recovery truck to go get it. Paid 800 i think. The roof was kinked where the recovry had pulled it out from a tree or somefink.

For the next two weeks they had both cars on the ramp and my auto monaco there too. They stripped both cars down and build up my monaco. Using my auto for the bumper, grill, subframe and head lights. Lost my phone with all these pics. They sent the car back to me in coventry with everythingg done. Except the wiring.

Dropped car off at electrcian in cov. He said he would charge me 500 to fit the loom and mate it to the renault. Main boss paid for this too. Due to my wife concieving twins. Decided to move back to Blackburn this was about six month after id dropped the car off. Tbh id forgotten about it. Went back and he made some exuses he hadn t touched the car at all. Forget his name coventry st in cov if anyone knw it. He didnt return my money and i got the car recovered to blackburn.

At this point i really was frustrated so much i tried to sell the car. After two attempts and lots of swap offers but no cash sale. Left it in the garden.
    My daily was a e34 535i sport auto at this time. After someone crashed into it outside my house. I swapped this for a volvo 480 turbo in grey. Drove it until the box went on a day out in york with my wife. Drove back from york to blackburn via the A59 in fourth gear. As i couldnt select any other gear. Man that was some drive. Timing entering roundabouts in fourth gear. Lol
    Dropped car off to garage and asked him to remove this complete wiring loom as he had told me the one i had already was to ffd to fit. He said he would charge me a grand to get it finished on the rd. I had bought a golf vr6 highline in mulburry purple for 600. I was selling it for a grand so the guy at the garage said give me this one and were straight for your job. Thought that sounded like a bargin. If something sounds too good to be true. It usually is. Lmao

They guy struggled and struggled but couldnt do it. Having sold my car to pay his rent. Car had sat at his garage for six months. You can imagine how pissed i was. Then it finally appears my luck has changed for the better. I was trying to find out where to get my ecu modded and discovered efi parts. scoffs place. Emailed him my story and asked if he knew someone up this way who could help me. He gave me Haz's number. The rest as the say is history. Man looking back now what a journey. Im glad i persevered. Having drove many 90bhp renaults, my dream was to drive this beast. Finally 5 long years later, now my kids are in school the time has come.

Thats my story hope u enjoyed ppl

Ps big thanks to haz for bringing my baby to life and to scoff for putting me in touch with haz.

Will add pics later.
    Last edited by James5; 13-01-2015 at 21:59. Reason: Heading change request

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 6 cars and buckets of cash later. hello b18ft

Post Thanks / Like

Some more pics car really coming together now. Buzzing now ive found my lost paperwork for the car. Its only done 13k. cant wait to finally drive the b18ft. Renault should have give the monaco this engine to start with.

http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...nts/mojos%205/

Post Thanks / Like

I used to have an immaculate black gtx, its was an absolute minter, apart from that horrible zeneth carb they chucked on there

if I knew then what I know now I would never have sold it, sold it for £400 and bought some coilovers for the raider.

always will have a soft spot for the gtx, it was the car sparked my interest all those years ago

Post Thanks / Like

good read and hats off to your determination

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GTphil View Post
    I used to have an immaculate black gtx, its was an absolute minter, apart from that horrible zeneth carb they chucked on there

if I knew then what I know now I would never have sold it, sold it for £400 and bought some coilovers for the raider.

always will have a soft spot for the gtx, it was the car sparked my interest all those years ago

agree with you there phil....no headache, just drive and enjoy...rare as rocking horse sh!te nowadays. theres only 20 monacos on the rd, taxed and 18 sorn'd dont know about gtx's there even harder to find..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bood View Post
    good read and hats off to your determination
    Thanks bood. so looking forward to my first drive,.

Post Thanks / Like

Great read, i loved my old campus the way it looked was similar compared to the GT much smoother apearance and look great lowered, thinking about it i put a GTX front bumper on it
    You'll have to update us on the first drive out

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks tony. Maybe i should do a vid from hazs to the mot station.

Post Thanks / Like

Almost there cant wait to drive it finally.
    http://m50.photobucket.com/albumview...6.jpg.html?o=0

Post Thanks / Like

South West Regional Rep jesus in the seat of a 5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

great news majid, well done haz, love that feelin, im hopin to have meself when the efi conversion is up and at scoffs... keep us updated..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jesus in the seat of a 5 View Post
    great news majid, well done haz, love that feelin, im hopin to have meself when the efi conversion is up and at scoffs... keep us updated..
    Thanks mate. Im looking forward to a trip to scoffs myself. First weekend driving the car. Im blown away. Its beyond any sxpectations i had. Think the t2 at 120 is really drivable.....

Committee Member
    Events
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome news

I really like these volvo motors now. The t2 is well suited for moderate power with next to no lag but i was at a point where i was wanting a bigger blower for my van. At 1.3 bar it would start pinking if youd been on the pedal too long. Better intercooling would have helped though.

Real pleased youve got it sorted mate

Ross

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks ross agree the t2 is perfect. Just running it in with standard boost. Ready for a trip to scoffs soon.

Post Thanks / Like

http://s1327.photobucket.com/user/ot...t=3&o=11Update. Fixed my dodgy rear dampers. Took some opening to get the nut out. Car driving lovely now.
    http://s1327.photobucket.com/user/ot...ml?sort=3&o=10

Post Thanks / Like

lso had the exhaust and turbo nuts keep coming loose. Finally managed to get all the nuts back on. Need to add a flexi to the exhaust. Car sounds awsome now and the power delivery seems better much.

http://s1327.photobucket.com/user/ot...tml?sort=3&o=4