Post Thanks / Like

carbon fibre bonnet

Evening i am after a carbon fibre bonnet for my 5 cgb have them but there exspensive so does anyone know where else to try or has anyone got one for sale

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: carbon fibre bonnet

The reality is you'll pay big money for sh1te when it come to carbon bonnets, I wouldn't fit one, i would think your money is better spent putting a wrap over your OE bonnet.. I know a few people will defend theirs, but most I've seen have been poor, I turned one down at £90 as its £90 to much when my OE fits amazballs..

There's only 1 full carbon bonnet I know about, top and bottom section in full carbon, I get a semi just thinking about it.. It's the only one worthy of going on my 5, but an offer of £500 + a go on my misses was turned down

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dangerous dave View Post
    The reality is you'll pay big money for sh1te when it come to carbon bonnets, I wouldn't fit one, i would think your money is better spent putting a wrap over your OE bonnet.. I know a few people will defend theirs, but most I've seen have been poor, I turned one down at £90 as its £90 to much when my OE fits amazballs..

There's only 1 full carbon bonnet I know about, top and bottom section in full carbon, I get a semi just thinking about it.. It's the only one worthy of going on my 5, but an offer of £500 + a go on my misses was turned down
    carbon wrap is ****e man sorry you may aswell buy a bumper box of trojan and stick it to your bonnet! just my opinion!

does the guy still have one for 90???

Post Thanks / Like

Yea cgb there 450 thats big money i wonder how much vents would cost to put in my standerd bonnet tasteful ones i dont want it to look like its crashed into halfords and everything has stuck to it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    Yea cgb there 450 thats big money i wonder how much vents would cost to put in my standerd bonnet tasteful ones i dont want it to look like its crashed into halfords and everything has stuck to it
    What about a louvred bonnet?

Post Thanks / Like

Yea see something like that would be diffrent and not chavvy like when they put the auto bonnets on the 205 gtis

Post Thanks / Like

you could pm harri? he's making a load of carbon bits

Post Thanks / Like

Yea spoke to harri he aint made a mould for bonnet as they make them here and when you factor in delivery from finland it aint worth it but if the quality is high then it would be worth it so mit see what he says

Post Thanks / Like

Just take your time finding one and only buy one you've seen fitted.. I saw mine fitted to another members car so I went with this one.. But I also heard all the nightmares about fitments.. I had to remove the two bonnet springs near the edge of the wings as the corners kept sitting up due to the weight difference.. I personally like the fiber bonnet it's like marmite really

Post Thanks / Like

I like the look of them i will find something

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robx1r View Post
    carbon wrap is ****e man sorry you may aswell buy a bumper box of trojan and stick it to your bonnet! just my opinion!

does the guy still have one for 90???
    I've seen carbon wrapped and the real deal, think both are a waste of money so why waste more?

The wrapped would be no less of a p3nis extension than the shoddy cgb/ktec bonnets, every finish would be like a limp c0ck that would need thumbing in..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dangerous dave View Post
    I've seen carbon wrapped and the real deal, think both are a waste of money so why waste more?

The wrapped would be no less of a p3nis extension than the shoddy cgb/ktec bonnets, every finish would be like a limp c0ck that would need thumbing in..

Post Thanks / Like

I personally haven't seen any of those ktec bonnets fitted. What's wrong with their fitment? Are they all the same?

Post Thanks / Like

I have a louverd bonnet on my GT. Not everyone likes mind but it does look good as the louvers are pressed out of the o.e bonnet. The only down side being the lack of sound deadening on the under side of the bonnet.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adam 005 View Post
    I have a louverd bonnet on my GT. Not everyone likes mind but it does look good as the louvers are pressed out of the o.e bonnet. The only down side being the lack of sound deadening on the under side of the bonnet.

They do look good and another downside is if it rains and the car outside the vents let the water

Post Thanks / Like

How much weight difference is there between carbon and o.e one?

I like those louvers but like mentioned would they not just allow water to poor in?

Mine is not used for track but is there a need for vents? Mine holds a lovely temp no matter how its driven, or is it more the look you like?

Post Thanks / Like

OE is 11kg if I remember correctly. Mine is 2,75 kg, note that my inner panel is made without mould. I don't know about ktec bonnets weight, but I think I could do around 2,5kg if I had both panels moulded and used just carbon fiber. Mine has glass fiber under the carbon due to costs.

I did mine for 3 reasons; weight, rust and I wanted to have one with quick release for easier maintenance since my car isn't daily driver anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow that's quite a difference, more than i thought anyway.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, it's good start. Cheaper weight gains come by going to diet especially after Christmas. Page1 of my project thread has scaled weights of most of the parts I've made.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harri View Post
    OE is 11kg if I remember correctly. Mine is 2,75 kg, note that my inner panel is made without mould. I don't know about ktec bonnets weight, but I think I could do around 2,5kg if I had both panels moulded and used just carbon fiber. Mine has glass fiber under the carbon due to costs.

I did mine for 3 reasons; weight, rust and I wanted to have one with quick release for easier maintenance since my car isn't daily driver anyway.
    I would Definatley agree the weight difference shocked me with mine too I like them personally

Post Thanks / Like

I didnt realise how much weight diffrence there was but to be honest i really just like the look

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adam 005 View Post
    I like it who did that for you mate

Post Thanks / Like

i fitted a ktec one years ago when they first came out.
    there is a massive weight difference, between OE and carbon fibre.
    although i do believe the Ktec ones are GRP base with carbon overlay.

the problemm is has, was that the studs for the hing were slightly out. - so i ended up elongatign the holes on the hinge - which worked fine. - i also found that the sides of the bonnet curved slightly more that the edge of the wing - so it always just poked above it! - i also had to adjust the two sprung rests near the bottom of the windscreen- so it sat normal height by the catch. - i think i also had to space the catch out slightly too.

abit of work, but it looked ok and was well light..... innit!

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

As Sparkie said, the KTR bonnets are not carbon fiber. They're basically what appears to be GRP/fiberglass base with a thin carbon overlay.

The fit is dreadful - I also had to re-drill/elongate the hinge brackets to make it fit, and it still looks horrible!

The weight difference is negligable unless you're Red Bull Racing. They are a reasonble amount lighter........ but really!

The only reason I fitted one is because I needed a new bonnet as my old one got damaged and was rusty. I paid £120 brand new for it as there was some imperfections in the carbon weave, so it made financial sence.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Hi Alex picot here I have brand new carbon bonnet in my loft for sale you can ring me on 07500966260 if you are interested mate ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pic gtt View Post

Hi Alex picot here I have brand new carbon bonnet in my loft for sale you can ring me on 07500966260 if you are interested mate ?
    This is not the owner of the proper carbon one that I was referring too earlier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pic gtt View Post

Just arranged to buy this. Seems a top bloke and i am going to hopefully meet him next week

Post Thanks / Like

Just arranged to buy this. Seems a top bloke and i am going to hopefully meet him next week
    make sure it's for you bud.. I personally love it but and there's always a but they are kinda flimsy they could be ripped open if you really wanted to but then agin I don't leave the 5 in ****ty places. As before there like marmite.. As long as your happy that's all that matters everyone always has an opinion

Post Thanks / Like

Yea i do love the look and hopefully it will fit right the firstt time

Post Thanks / Like

I have just bought some morretes and thought about gettin carbon copys made for the covers

Post Thanks / Like

Yea i do love the look and hopefully it will fit right the firstt time
    Mine only took slight adjustment nothing major as you have seen bud not everyone's cup of tea but if we were all the same it would be boring

Post Thanks / Like

Yea i like yours looks good on red

Post Thanks / Like

Yea i like yours looks good on red
    for every one who likes there's 10 that don't bud but its my motor and I like it too that's all that matters.. Is the finish good on the one your looking at? This one could still do with a good mop to really make it shine its ok now but summer worries me.. My bonnet got scorched and went pink that's the other reason I went carbon..

Post Thanks / Like

I had the ktec carbon fibre bonnet on my old gtt..the hinges needed the holes fettled and the catch packing out so it would shut. The sides were never level with the wings and after a few heat cycles it had more ripples than a fat birds arse. I thought it was going to lift off at 120+ mph, looked like it was flapping. I would recommend fitting pins or aeroquip fasteners all round. Very poor for the price imo.

Post Thanks / Like

Im starting to understand why these ktecs are not too positively seen in the club.

Doing grp/carbon copies out of morrettes would be good idea. I have those on my clio and always remember first time I saw them. I actually thought that the inner plastic part was some kind of wrapping, which needs to be removed, the plastic is so thin and poor. They broke a little before I managed to even fit them the first time. Fixing them was actually one of my first laminating experiences.