Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Koni Suspension

Quote Originally Posted by Numptysnumnuts View Post
    front strut had the nut jammed solid....that had to have the strut cut just to get the other bits off as it just spun the strut when trying to undo.
    Hence the air tools, as Mart has also said.

Post Thanks / Like

A decent battery power one is just as good

Post Thanks / Like

Can you suggest a decent one Mart?

There are some fairly poor battery ones. The Snap On seemed good but at about £300 a bit expensive.

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-CP240...pr_product_top

this one should be up for the job and a good price for it deliveryed. There are some higher rated ones in Sealey but depends on what else you wanting to use it for.

Post Thanks / Like

The problem with that one would be the 15 year out of date NiCD battery. Permanently flat every time you want to use it. Huge, heavy, slow to charge and soon becoming non chargeable.

For £130 you might just about buy a suitable compressor and air impact wrench. Although you have to haul the hose around and the whole lot adds up to bulky and very loud.

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
    The problem with that one would be the 15 year out of date NiCD battery. Permanently flat every time you want to use it. Huge, heavy, slow to charge and soon becoming non chargeable.

For £130 you might just about buy a suitable compressor and air impact wrench. Although you have to haul the hose around and the whole lot adds up to bulky and very loud.
    I know what you mean about the type of battery but you are not going to find one for a reasonable price with a Li-Ion. I got a from CP a CP8748UL with 2 Li-Ion batteries but that came in at just over £250, that was back in Oct 09 and still going strong today.

Post Thanks / Like

Can you suggest a decent one Mart?

There are some fairly poor battery ones. The Snap On seemed good but at about £300 a bit expensive.
    Snap-on, as you say. Dewalt as well.

The Sealey ones are ok to be fair, but sure, Nicad's don't last forever and its old tech' now. However, for our scenario, you're only on about removing the top shock/rod nut, which any half-decent impact wrench, regardless of battery type fitted, should do with ease.

A normal 13mm, 16mm, and 18mm socket/spanner for all the other strut fixation bolts/nuts.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 1/2 inch snap on gun and nothing comes close we have had dewalt,makita,sealey all of them are not very good either the battreys are either no good or they just lack in power

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got one of THESE and it's never let me down!

Post Thanks / Like

This is all well and good but I doubt an impact wrench would have helped on either front or back in removing the nuts. The nuts were seized solid and upon cutting one open and taking it off the thread of the bolt was inside the nut. Hence why it just spun. The one on the top of the front shock was seized to the shock damper rod and with a nice shiny surface offering no proper grip it would just spin even with one of these. Hence I had to cut the support horizontally to get the fixings and bits and pieces off. To get the nut off the top I had to cut the support vertically to make two square edges to enable grip and then a socket on the top and it came off with minimal effort. And yes as dangerous as it sounds I did try loosening the nut whilst in situ on the car and suspension under tension.

If you look back through this thread or ones that discuss about doing a group buy on these shocks you will find my post stating just how bad my suspension was. My suspension was there for show it didn't do anything other than put pressure on the supports because it was none existent.

I wish it could have been a 4 hour job I really do (would save my ears from a nagging other half) but until you come to do it you never know how long it's likely to take impact driver or not.

I like my trusty ratchet set and torque drivers but would be interested in knowing the benefits of an impact wrench probably air rather than battery

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all,

In response to some PM's, (i know people are still waiting) have spoke to PPD today and the delivery is now due to them early next week.

I'll say it again DON'T HOLD ME TO THIS as its out of my control, and does seem to get shifted, although from what they have said the factory has all the components they need now - BUT - I WILL CONTINUE TO CHASE THEM UP

Will post up again once I hear or know more

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

good on you wally

Post Thanks / Like

nice work. No rush for me as just found out my car wont be going into bodyshop for another month as they havnt got room for it, typical I wanted it done over xmas so I could be building it back up now ready for summer. looks like another year I wont get the 5 out till end of summer #joke

Got to say cheers to Wallace though as without him putting in all this effort it would of died like most of the group buys do, and to all the members for coming up with the peanuts!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gttjames View Post
    nice work. No rush for me as just found out my car wont be going into bodyshop for another month as they havnt got room for it, typical I wanted it done over xmas so I could be building it back up now ready for summer. looks like another year I wont get the 5 out till end of summer #joke

Got to say cheers to Wallace though as without him putting in all this effort it would of died like most of the group buys do, and to all the members for coming up with the peanuts!
    Cheers james

Shame about the 5 but no doubt time will fly as it always does......

I just want the group-buy finished now, so it's a done deal Fingers crossed for next week

Post Thanks / Like

After it is, I think we may still retain the 'dealer' rating and can buy more as we want.

But that's only possibly because everyone in this group paid nice and early so we had some definite buying power to place the large initial order.

Post Thanks / Like

Further Update

Because of the dates being moved back, PPD have kept me in the loop and forwarded me the emails from holland - today, I have received the same email from the factory in holland as they have, which states that Koni Holland is expecting to ship the remaining kits next Tuesday.

This should mean that PPD UK receive them Wedsnesday!

This should then mean that by the beginning of w/c:18th March, the remaining kits should have been shipped

Here's hoping

Once again will update with any further news

Post Thanks / Like

UPDATE AGAIN.

Long & short is the delivery has been pushed back another week

The email from Holland states that the kits are being sprayed and delivery is due next week.

I've complained, and expressed that they are now taking the piss because every week I phone them, and everyweek they push the deliver back.
    Will do my bests to keep on the case because I'm sick of calling them and want this complete now.

Post Thanks / Like

its ok - my car has only just gone for paint so no use for them for a while. Others might be in a rush though

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gttjames View Post
    its ok - my car has only just gone for paint so no use for them for a while. Others might be in a rush though

Post Thanks / Like

THEY HAVE ARRIVED

We are sorting out payment and sending them the address details, so for the guys still waiting - you will get delivery next week

So this draws the group-buy to a close, thanks to members paying promptly and getting the info across to Ian

BIIIIIG THANK YOU IAN

He has gained nothing from this group-buy but has been a MASSIVE help throughout

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks

And...

Paid

The two sets to Carl and James may even be delivered tomorrow.

For the Jonny Hogan set they'll be asking for the payment unless you contact them first

There are three sets over in the UK from Holland for anyone else who want some and I'll be putting these in the RTOC shop at some point.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

got mine

Post Thanks / Like

Iv just swopped my 50mm fronts for 30mm and given it 1 full turn on the adjuster will feed back how they feel hopefully if the car starts up 50mm was too low and had no travel..

Post Thanks / Like

got mine today now need a bloody dry day to fit em.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello all, had a long break from the site as i've just got married and come back from 3-weeks hineymoon - pretty awesome.

I managed to get the Konis fitted to the 5 and we actually used the car on wedding day; we drove off in it which was pretty cool.

I have to say though i'm a little dissapointed with the drop / overall level of the car and wondered how springs had turned out for everyone else.

I went with SPAX springs which provided a 30 mm drop ... to my eyes though the back has gone down too far and there's still too much gap at the front (my mechanic said he's only dropped it by one spline on the rear).

I was wondering if anyone had any photos of how there's ended up looking ... note mine is still riding on OE 13s.

I'm going to take a look at getting a photo up myself so you can see what i mean (currently i've been unable to work out how to post a bloody photo still). Many thanks in advance and all the best - J

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jonny,

Congrats on the marriage

Picture attached of how mine sits, if your unhappy with the rears level then further adjustment of the torsion bar is needed - the shocks wont play a part in the ride height.

My springs are a 35mm drop - others arent keen on 35mm as it appear not too different from standard, so once again if you want further drop then try 40mm springs!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Committee Member
    North West Regional Area Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

hi mate dead easy to post a pic, set up a photobucket account then upload the required pics to there. all you then have to to is select get link and then select the IMG codes, return to here and just paste them onto your post.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to disagree with the above post but the gas pressure Konis will lift the back a bit. Non gas pressure won't.

That 'one spline' talk is usually BS. What you do is take out the torsion bar, that releases inner and outer, both of which are splined. You move the trailing arm to where you want it and turn the bars until they go back in. Ideally marking them before removal so afterwards you can see both sides are the same.

Then fit the konis and see the back is now higher. Then take it all off and lower some more!

Me, myself, I left it original height as I wanted sufficient suspension travel over large bumps at high speed. 'Everyone' else is happy to have no rear suspension and the rear punted up by bumps and their spine compressed to the point of pain. And having to drive 20mph slower. Each to their own though.

The Fiat I have now was lowered by the previous owner and even though he cut away maybe 40mm of rear bump stops, it sits on them. It's utter carp and recently felt I've had more than enough and started to look for standard height springs to correct it back to where it was. Doubly so since the anti vehicle powers the be have wasted millions of road tax payers money and fitted those utter cnuts every 100 metres or so on nearly every road around here in Eastern London. It's destroyed my front shocks already.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ian, Blunty, Wallace, thanks for your responses

Top advice as ever and much appreciated.

I'm going to fire up to my folks place this weekend and get the car cleaned up again and will take some snaps; either way, it looks like i need to call my friendly mechanic again and get him back on the job ... its a serious pain in the rse having the back so low - and i also feel like a bit of a gypo driving it now !

Thanks again, watch this space

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Hogan View Post
    i also feel like a bit of a gypo driving it now !
    Weighed down with all the scrap metal you collected!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Would it be possible to get this deal set up again?

Post Thanks / Like

Group buy, no.

They are in the RTOC shop.

Remember to deduct the members discount.

https://www.rtoc.org/shop/index.php?m...roducts_id=110

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

It says out of stock

Post Thanks / Like

I thought there was one set left.

They've sold so slowly they've been forgotten about!

Like most dealers', we don't keep them ourselves, Koni ship them direct after we take the order and place the order.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought there was one set left.

They've sold so slowly they've been forgotten about!

Like most dealers', we don't keep them ourselves, Koni ship them direct after we take the order and place the order.