Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

cheap brake conversion

Hi guys..
    After alot of rumbeling arround at the scrappy, and comparing part numbers.. i found out that Clio II 1,5 DCi front caliper carriers are a direct fit on a R5 (with original calipers) So you are able to fit 258 mm discs instead og 238 mm discs..

Thought i would tell you guys.. Just in case you didn't know

On a side note Clio II ph3 carriers are a little different but fit aswell..

Post Thanks / Like

Re: cheap brake conversion

Almost the same as the old 'Valver' 259mm conversion, which IIRC some people used as the next step up direct swap.

I aso found out (although not bigger) when swapping discs over that the Clio Mk2 1.2 and 1.4 16V models use 238mm discs, was wondering whether these could be used as a later direct replacement for the GT Turbo (calipers and discs) as the Clio Mk2 ran up to 2005.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Almost the same as the old 'Valver' 259mm conversion, which IIRC some people used as the next step up direct swap.

I aso found out (although not bigger) when swapping discs over that the Clio Mk2 1.2 and 1.4 16V models use 238mm discs, was wondering whether these could be used as a later direct replacement for the GT Turbo (calipers and discs) as the Clio Mk2 ran up to 2005.
    They also fit from megane, the carrieres are the same (for 238 mm). The 2,0 Coupé valver (is also with 258 mm brakes but the bolts on the carrier are further apart.)

The valvers in Denmark are VERY rare (was never sold from the Renault dealer) so had to find another way to get the bigger brakes i know of maximum 10 on the road in Denmark (including my own)

Post Thanks / Like

Hello RTOCers, I'm firing up this thread again as Renault models sold in Australia are limited so I need to confirm what will work and what won't.

I can get std 238mm Discs as they sold the R19 TXE in Aus (DBA*351)

I can get 259mm Discs that are the same spec as R19/Clio1 16v and Williams (DBA2352) as they are fitted to Clio2 1.4 16v models in Aus. The Calipers are the same too (as above models and GTT).

What I don't know (although maybe confirmed above) is whether the Caliper Carriers will bolt onto the GTT hubs? Can anyone confirm this?

*Disc Brakes Australia

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a pic of the 238mm and 259mm Disc Caliper Carriers that are fitted to the GTT (238) and R19 16v, Clio1 16v and Williams (259).

Post Thanks / Like

They should fit Woz!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply Goobie. So do you think that the Carrier from the Clio2 1.4 16v will bolt up to the GTT hub? That's the car I'll probably have most access to.

Post Thanks / Like

If it is the same as the mark 1 Clio 1.8 / 2.0 16v then yeah.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, just to keep this thread updated, I can confirm that the Carrier off the Clio2 1.4 16v has the same 82mm bolt spacing as the Clio1, R19 and GTT* so it looks like it will bolt right up. The Carrier is a slightly different design, but dimensions look good.

I'll get some pics up for reference and give a final confirmation when it's all bolted up.

*Oh, because I bought some off a bloke this AM and I took them off the car myself.
    Last edited by Woznaldo; 06-09-2014 at 11:13.

Post Thanks / Like

OK here's a few pics of the parts off the car. I bolted up one of my 285mm TXI Caliper Extenders to show that the Hub/Carrier bolt spacing is indeed the same.

Here's the bit of the Carrier thats a little different, but I think it won't make any difference to fitment.

Here's the 259mm Disc complete with ABS timing ribs.

I'll take a few more when on the car to confirm clearances.

Woz

Post Thanks / Like

Nicely done Woz

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I've got all the bits together now so just need to put it all on the car. I gave my new Calipers and Carriers a clean up and spray too.

Here's the Pads and Discs.

I have to say that the slots on the new discs look schmick!

More pics once it's all fitted.

Post Thanks / Like

Some of you may have noticed a few things with the painted Calipers. The first thing is that the non-hydraulic halves are of a slight different design to each other (new casting maybe?).

The second thing is the stainless steel spring pates at the bottom of the pic. OEM GTT calipers don't have these. They are fitted to the Caliper Carrier where the Pads locate. My thinking is that they allow the the Pad to slide more efficiently.

Remember that these Calipers are off a 2002 Clio2 1.4 16v, not a Clio1 16v or R19 16v, although they conform with exactly the same dimensions.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, despite me not being able to do the LHS because of a shot wheel bearing, I have done the RHS. First up I made a comparison between the 238mm Disc and the new 259mm Disc.

Not a massive physical difference, but hoping it will translate to a bigger difference on the road. Time will tell....

Here's the new 259mm Disc fitted. No problems, but I did try to use the countersunk torx disc retaining screws from the Clio2 and they didn't want to screw all the way in? Maybe a slightly different thread? Not sure? Original torx screws worked fine.

Next on was the Carrier and all was well.... ....other than me forgetting to fit the stainless steel spring clips in the Carrier beforehand.

Next in with the DS2500 Pads and no problems. They sit on the spring clips really well, so maybe this change from the OE design will promote smother/quieter operation?

You can just see the Spring Clips at the ends of the Pads in this shot.

The next stage was to fit the Caliper. I could of course kept the original GTT Caliper as it bolts straight on, but these are newer and have a fresh lick of paint. I will also give the brake system a good bleed so I have all new fluid in the system.

I swapped over my Goodridge Braided Brake Hose and there was no issues here either as the position change is minimal.

Once I've sourced and changed the LH front bearing and fit up the LHS and bleed the system. Once on the road I can bed the Pads in and give you some feedback on feel and power. One thing I'm really hoping I don't lose is the brake feel as the OE setup is exception in the department in my book.

Post Thanks / Like

I've just had a look up at previous posts in this thread and noticed that I may have the wrong side Carrier fitted? Post #10 shows the elongated corner of the Carrier on the same end as the Brake Hose and therefore the top. Not sure if it will make any difference, but it was obviously put there for a reason? Air flow, noise?....

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

sorry to dig up an old thread but does anyone in the uk have any part numbers for the grooved uprated discs for the above modifications and also will the mod work with either trw or the lucs brake caliper??

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    sorry to dig up an old thread but does anyone in the uk have any part numbers for the grooved uprated discs for the above modifications and also will the mod work with either trw or the lucs brake caliper??
    The 259mm discs are from the clio, so any grooved or drilled ones for that car will be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

. As said, any Clio1 16v or R19 16v set of Discs will do the job. There are more cars that use them too, but that should get you what you need.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys , managed to get the calliper sand also a set of grooved discs threw just awaiting some part numbers for the pads . I notice you're using the ferrodo pads wonzanaldo is this threw choice over the ebc green stuff or ??

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The DS2500 became a popular pad on RTOC.

I not tried them but people say they work. Which I, at least, couldn't say about EBC.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
    The DS2500 became a popular pad on RTOC.

I not tried them but people say they work. Which I, at least, couldn't say about EBC.
    the ds2500 is this the part number or pad tye?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

apologies found them online not the cheapest pad but no use having a fast car and not being able to stop hay. lol

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

A new chapter to this saga:

280 mm discs, (Clio 172)
    Peugeot 406 coupe calipers,
    8 x 12 mm washers
    4 longer bolts, OEM does fit if you dare..

Cheap VERY big conversion, fits under 15 inch wheels, might need spacers though..

Last edited by CoooL; 21-11-2015 at 13:56.

Post Thanks / Like

Is this on a GTT? The hubs appear to take nuts not bolts like OE?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

its on a GTT, have just put in studs instead of bolts.. makes it easier to change wheels at tackdays (and keeps the spacers boltholes aligned) i paid around £300 for new with discs.. just need some pads..

Last edited by CoooL; 21-11-2015 at 16:33.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you saying the 406 caliper lugs line up with the GTT hubs?

Have you got a picture from behind the caliper?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woznaldo View Post
    Are you saying the 406 caliper lugs line up with the GTT hubs?

Have you got a picture from behind the caliper?
    Yes the bolt holes have same spacing!!! Needs 4 mm spacers (two washers) to center the discs in the caliper... They bolt directly to GTT hubs! No brackets nothing, all pictures of the above calipers are taken by me..

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Brake lines are a bit short though!

Post Thanks / Like

That's an awesome find! Do they work ok with the standard master cylinder?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Some say they do some don't, I need longer brake lines to verify! And winter has come so no test drive before spring else a pug 406 master cylinder should fit

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CoooL View Post
    Some say they do some don't, I need longer brake lines to verify! And winter has come so no test drive before spring else a pug 406 master cylinder should fit
    I guess it's the fluid volume of the 406 calipers that will determine the master cylinder size. I know there are quite a few 22.5mm piston ms as used on the cupra and golf rallye that is a direct fit.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the CLIO182 or Golf MK2 G60 MC would work well as they have 22.0mm bore which is closer to the 406 Coupe bore of 23.8mm. I'm not sure if the 406 Coupe MC bolts up?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CoooL View Post
    its on a GTT, have just put in studs instead of bolts.. makes it easier to change wheels at tackdays (and keeps the spacers boltholes aligned)

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I had the brembo 406 coupe setup a few years back, pic link is of the exact bits i used and worked ok on a valver master cylinder. But then I broke that car a short while after fitting