Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

spark and fuel tables

I have made a fuel and spark map for my b18ft with a view to running 2 bar boost. The car dosnt run at the mo so I'm only letting the engine idle, but do these maps look good enough as a starting point?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: spark and fuel tables

Does the b18ft run that high of a idle advance?
    You could keep the off boost ignition a lot higher as that isnt affected by the boost map.

Other then that the ign. Table looks good on the conservative side.

Also i think it would be better to scale in alot more off boost bins as that is where you'll drive daily. Above 200 kpa you'll rise rapidly trough them to 300kpa anyway so not much use to have that much bins.

Try to find a 300kpa table on the net as example and copy the bin layout (Y)

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers matey had a little play how about this one.

Post Thanks / Like

Just realised where it says 289 now says 190.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

You want a lot more vac advance than that and less around the idle (40kpa, 1000rpm). Maybe 10-12 degrees, not 22. Timing at WOT is going to depend a lot on your setup but it looks acceptable. Maybe knock a couple degrees off that for initial testing. B18ft doesn't like a lot of timing at WOT.

I wouldn't get too hung up on 2 bar either, they really don't breath these engines even with the NA cam. I bet you won't see much more after 1.6 bar

Post Thanks / Like

im getting confused now
    so around idle it wants to be around 10 then can increase as revs and kpa increase but when i reach around 100kpa and 3000 rpm i want to drop that advance down?
    has anyone got a decent table i can have a look at i have a few here but none seem right

Post Thanks / Like

Well, to understand what's going on with the map the first thing to do is find out what's going on inside the engine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post
    You want a lot more vac advance than that and less around the idle (40kpa, 1000rpm). Maybe 10-12 degrees, not 22. Timing at WOT is going to depend a lot on your setup but it looks acceptable. Maybe knock a couple degrees off that for initial testing. B18ft doesn't like a lot of timing at WOT.

I wouldn't get too hung up on 2 bar either, they really don't breath these engines even with the NA cam. I bet you won't see much more after 1.6 bar
    Chris, is the head and cam the biggest limiting factors on these engines? What is the biggest torque and bhp that you have seen produced on stock internals/gearbox, with standard management and standalone?
    Nice work Gary

Post Thanks / Like

im trying to see what the stock internals will take im sure its more than my set up can manage tho

Post Thanks / Like

ok still trying to understand this, i need around 10 for idle then i can advance as the kpa and rpm increases until the rpm reaches 4k (turbo kicks in) then i have to start retarding and when the kpa reaches 100 start retarding. but in the areas that i prob wont reach in the map like 40kpa 7000rpm i can really advance? and likewise 500rpm 300kpa where i wont reach i can advance?

Post Thanks / Like

Done some more playing

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Better, but you have more timing at 75kpa than you do at 0kpa at certain rpm's, which doesn't make sense. You can go to 30 deg or more at low kpa's and higher rpm.

It's not about finding the limits of the internals. Whats the point in running 2 bar if it makes no more power than it does at 1.6. From experience they just don't make much more than 230hp without a fight. Hopefully in a week or so well be able to try Lee Wadmoors B18FT engine with it's new cam from Markey mark. There was some problems with valve bounce at high RPM, hopefully thats rectified now and we can continue the mapping. It was showing good power at low boost so fingers crossed.

Post Thanks / Like

that was the head and cam that was accidently made for me
    ok i will advance those areas more still trying to get my head round all this ecu lark

Post Thanks / Like

Right I have been playing with the map on the 3d table and from about 2000rpm now it has a lot of advance and slowly tapers off as the Loa increases. I'll post a pix later to see what ya think.
    Chris I have a rsi cam and it spiked to 2bar accidently when the wastegate stuck and it seemed quicker until a boost hose popped off
    I don't want to reach the limit of standard internals but I would like what power I can get which is why I will be getting it properly mapped when I have sorted the rest of it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Had another play this evening taking into account what everyone has said. How does this one look then?

Post Thanks / Like

looking better, however at max torgue the timing would be least. so after 4000rpm timing could go up a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Just something I've noticed Gary. With the ignition tables I've got with the C1J the values go up with rev's not down. I would think it is the same with the volvo lump.

example of a very early base map on mine
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tutuur View Post
    looking better, however at max torgue the timing would be least. so after 4000rpm timing could go up a bit.
    Damn beaten to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Logg View Post
    Just something I've noticed Gary. With the ignition tables I've got with the C1J the values go up with rev's not down. I would think it is the same with the volvo lump.

example of a very early base map on mine
    so at 8000rpm 300kpa max boost theres 26degrees advance seems a lot
    scoff reckons 10 deg at WOT so was going with that. Also its slightly higher comp and a flat head so dont know if that makes a difference but think it might not be able to have as much as the c1j.
    I want something looking good but quite safe at the min as its not driveable so cant test but will up it when i can

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SCHWARTZ View Post
    scoff reckons 10 deg at WOT so was going with that. Also its slightly higher comp and a flat head so dont know if that makes a difference but think it might not be able to have as much as the c1j.
    I want something looking good but quite safe at the min as its not driveable so cant test but will up it when i can
    See the words early base map the car wasn't ever run over 200kpa on that map plus different engines like different things (C1J). The main thing was the map shows the trend that after peak torque more advance is slowly added.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Logg View Post
    See the words early base map

i have advanced after 4000rpm a bit more now but will prob leave it there until i can drive it and see how it behaves

Post Thanks / Like

that was the head and cam that was accidently made for me
    Thats the one mate

I must admit i did talk to Waddie about opening the exhaust port alittle as this looks the restrictive part of the head but he decided to leave as to see what difference the cam made
    Heads now fitted with double valve springs fitted so should be sorted now, engineers did admit old springs were way too soft for cam profile

Post Thanks / Like

Can't wait to see the power it will make. Hoping I will get a fair bit, will be good to see how much a pretty much standard engine can make.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe something to look into at some point, but saying that if I did want more I'd prob go f7p and o2m

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe something to look into at some point, but saying that if I did want more I'd prob go f7p and o2m
    I'll see how much power can be made from modding the B18FT further, if can get it to flow better then it'll be cheaper/easier getting power from current then changing.

Lifes not all about 16v's

Post Thanks / Like

nope would have thought a lot of it is down to the inlet One side n exhaust otherside tho.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Markey Mark (BD) View Post
    I'll see how much power can be made from modding the B18FT further, if can get it to flow better then it'll be cheaper/easier getting power from current then changing.

Lifes not all about 16v's
    I'm at a crossroads, with the possibility of entering my r5 into rallycross, I have all the b18ft gear, just will it be powerful enough This is all being done on a tiny budget, so whatever I pick has to last me a while.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TrixNFlix View Post
    I'm at a crossroads, with the possibility of entering my r5 into rallycross, I have all the b18ft gear, just will it be powerful enough This is all being done on a tiny budget, so whatever I pick has to last me a while.
    The engine will be powerful enough, make car light enough and it'll go well
    Got to think of reliability too, these are built like battle ships very strong bottom ends

Ask Romil and Logg what my B18FT van went like at 160bhp when we had alittle race on way to Nat Day this year

Post Thanks / Like

The b18ft can be done on a tighter budget. All I have is a rsi cam and a big blower. The ms cost 250quid if I were to go straight to where I am now I reckon I could have done it for 1k. Hopefully soon il be able to do some power runs to see how much easy power can be had

Post Thanks / Like

I was pleasantly surprised by the thickness of the con rods

Post Thanks / Like

Right since sorting the timing the engine has now developed a miss fire over 3k. I have cleaned the plugs and its not that, I'm sure its down to the timing as when I sorted it it got knocked back by about 10degrees over the whole rev range. How much can I advance the timing in low load areas?

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think I said 10 deg at WOT ? I wouldn't have offered any exact suggestions for WOT. You also can't compare B18FT with C1J, the timing map requirements are nothing like. C1J needs more advance just about everywhere.

As the guys say you have the top half of the table arse about face. With the B18FT you dont want a lot of timing at WOT where peak torque happens. You need to be feeding it back in as revs rise though. I'd be starting very safe where peak torque happens and initially no more than 16deg@ 6000rpm / 230kpa. Work from there. You need to look at and absorb some other turbo timing maps to get a feel for what the engine wants. I wouldn't put too much stock in the b18ft timing map that floats around on the web, it doesn't look right to me

You can put more timing in at vacuum above 3000rpm say. Beware that moving the timing has an impact on how it fuels in those areas too, so pulling 10 deg probably made it go richer in those areas. Maybe it's bogging down now.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Just as a random aside, I finally got to tuning Lee Wadmores B18FT GTT last week with it's headwork and custom cam from Markey mark. I was very impressed, it went as well as I expected it to with a real cam. 203hp at 13.5psi and 224hp at about 17psi. He has a 0.86 T28. His actuator was knackered so we could not test with more boost but it goes to show how much better these engines will go with a performance cam.

Post Thanks / Like

Just as a random aside, I finally got to tuning Lee Wadmores B18FT GTT last week with it's headwork and custom cam from Markey mark. I was very impressed, it went as well as I expected it to with a real cam. 203hp at 13.5psi and 224hp at about 17psi. He has a 0.86 T28. Annoyingly his actuator was knackered so we could not test with more boost but it goes to show how much better these engines will go with a performance cam.

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers Chris I will have a look and re tune my map tomorrow and il post it up to see what ya think. I too have a t28 with a .86 rear but only have a rsi cam. Will be good to see what the headwork has done.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you road-mapping, on the dyno, using a steth', etc? Surely you're not just entering the numbers willy nilly?

As a good r.o.t, try not to have too large a value variation between cells. 3 is about the most you want to go on the scaling you have.

Can you source an o.e ign' map? At least you'll have a good starting point, then tweak accordingly from there.

Leeds & South Yorkshire Area Rep
    Loose Bolts Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

The b18ft can be done on a tighter budget. All I have is a rsi cam and a big blower. The ms cost 250quid if I were to go straight to where I am now I reckon I could have done it for 1k. Hopefully soon il be able to do some power runs to see how much easy power can be had
    off topic, but is the clio rsi cam any good before i chuck into my b18ft??

Post Thanks / Like

Mart I haves had a look for std ign map but no joy il keep looking tho. Atm its just idling an revving as it can't drive so I'm just getting it to rev nice. I will be tuning it on the rd until I can get it to someone like Chris. I have a knock monitor but want to test it. Is there any way I can test it with out making the engine nock?

Post Thanks / Like

the rsi cam seems good i can only compare to the ep cam and to me it feels better bit more power but who knows could be making less

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think I said 10 deg at WOT ? I wouldn't have offered any exact suggestions for WOT. You also can't compare B18FT with C1J, the timing map requirements are nothing like. C1J needs more advance just about everywhere.

As the guys say you have the top half of the table arse about face. With the B18FT you dont want a lot of timing at WOT where peak torque happens. You need to be feeding it back in as revs rise though. I'd be starting very safe where peak torque happens and initially no more than 16deg@ 6000rpm / 230kpa. Work from there. You need to look at and absorb some other turbo timing maps to get a feel for what the engine wants. I wouldn't put too much stock in the b18ft timing map that floats around on the web, it doesn't look right to me

You can put more timing in at vacuum above 3000rpm say. Beware that moving the timing has an impact on how it fuels in those areas too, so pulling 10 deg probably made it go richer in those areas. Maybe it's bogging down now.
    Chris i apologise i have gone back and it looks like i miss read your advice.
    I will be having a play with tunerstudio tomorrow so hopefully i can get a good base set.
    Is it just a cam upgrade as i thought there was a lot of head work to incorporate the cam?

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, head work is to accept the cam. It's machined, double sprung etc.

Post Thanks / Like

the rsi cam seems good i can only compare to the ep cam and to me it feels better bit more power but who knows could be making less
    What's it like compared to the 'e' cam Gary?

Post Thanks / Like

Never had the 'e' cam to campare matey but don't think the 'e' is much more wild than the 'ep'.

Post Thanks / Like

How about this then?

Post Thanks / Like

Looks lots better mate!

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Too much at 4000rpm for my liking though. You need to be very safe at peak torque with these engines. 10-12 deg maybe then progress from there.

Post Thanks / Like

Too much at 4000rpm for my liking though. You need to be very safe at peak torque with these engines. 10-12 deg maybe then progress from there.
    So arround 10-12deg at 4000rpm above 100kpa then slowly bring it up as the revs increase then? Would it be more advanced before 4000rpm then slowly retard up til the 4k mark then advance it after?

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Well lets say 10 deg at about 230kpa, it can ramp up as load decreases.

Post Thanks / Like

Excuse the ignorence but is this what ya ment chris?

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking best so far Better to start safe than sorry.