Post Thanks / Like

My 19 16v cabriolet F7R Turbo progress so far...

Just thought i'd show you some of the progess on my 19 16v cabriolet, one of those cars you either love or hate

The story so far I bought this car about 2 years ago from a lady down in Lichfield, Staffordshire who bought it new back in 1995. It was on 60k and unfortunately it had running issues (vacume) which I was told it was the inlet manifold gasket leaking, the car had plenty of tax and MOT and the bodywork, interior, roof etc... was imaculate, even though it was running abit rough I paid £1000. If anyone one knows the 19 they are extremely bad for rot just like the 5 GTT, luckily there isn't a mark on this beauty.

So why a 19 16v cabriolet and not a 5 GTT?

I had a 19 16v phase 2 cabriolet in williams 449 blue back in 2004 when I was 19 which used to belong to the sound company Infinity in the "max power days" which they used for taking to shows to show off their systems. I had a good experience with it then ended up getting a police chase in it (like you do ) and had to get rid of the car, either that or loose my license.

From there on I owned numerous 5 GTT's (2004-5) one of which was a 13 second quarter mile car with 220bhp, doesn't seem alot these days but bearing in mind K-tec had the fastest in the uk in 2002 with 11.89 qm.

Then I packed cars in and went to college, had a baby with the ex like alot of us do, bought a sensible car family car Vectra SRi 170 and got on with my new career.

Skip 6 years to 2011... no longer with the EX (thank god ), new mrs and I wanted a car for the summer hence a 19 16v cabriolet one of them rare cars you just don't see anymore they were even quite rare in 2004 lol, seeminly there are only 60 left in the uk and only 30 on the road. My plan was to put my 19 off the road this winter and buy another 5 GTT for a project which I did because the 19 was too slow but unfortunately on my last outing in the 19 it developed a nasty rattle, so it was an engine replacement over the winter for next summer.

I had a long think to myself what I wanted to do, the engine had to come out of the 19 anyway, the 5 had to be put on hold so I sort of combined the both (no not put a C1J in my 19 ) I wanted the power of a 5 in my 19 16v cabriolet for the summer. So the GTT eneded up going to free up space and money to go ahead with the conversion.

So that's how I ended up going for a williams turbo conversion in a 19 16v cabriolet.

Progress so far...

Engine is being fully rebuilt, 8.5:1 compression ratio, race balanced as we speak

Parts collected so far...

4 paddle helix clutch
    Log turbo manifold
    21 turbo injectors and 2 bar map sensor
    keeping my 19 16v F7p box (for now)
    S/S exhaust

And Scoff will be doing my management Adaptronic ECU and loom

Parts still to get...

Turbo downpipe
    200sx s14 T28
    Front mount intercooler and pipework

I would just like to say thanks to everyone on RTOC who has gave me advice, technical help and pic's so far. I have also had a good response from members on Clio16vforum and Retro Renault

So welcome to my garage...

Williams engine I bought for £200 off Ebay

F7P to come out

Had a brew!

Engine out

Engine bay cleaned

Subframe painted

That's it for now, i'll post some more up when I get my engine back.

cheers
    Last edited by BILLY-R5GTT; 24-11-2012 at 11:53.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My 19 16v cabriolet F7R Turbo progress so far...

glad to see it coming along, with regards to down pipe, you will prob have to make your own,like the rest of us who have gone f7 route at least you've got a bit more room than most in the engine bay which will help, if your planing on more power in the future,either 2 1/2" all the way through, or if you can go 3" then that would be even better

Post Thanks / Like

Looking good mate

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah this year is just a basic set up to get me up and running turbo wise, not looking for the biggest power 200-250bhp ish on the standard skimmed pistons. Once it's done i'll be doing a 500bhp+ fully forged build next.

This is just a learning curve for me dealing with the F7R turbo but once I have sourced all the parts and got it up and running it'll be easy from here on.

Luckily like you say Handy I have quite a bit more space due to it being a 19, I couldn't imagine trying to work round an F7 in a 5 K tec do a downpipe for 280 or somthing I might just go with that unless I can get a blueprint for a custom one?

cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by casper View Post
    Looking good mate
    Cheers mate, still got your oil here by the way I'll be in the workshop all day tomorrow if you want to come down for a brew?

bought my new Snap on welder yesterday so i'll be up to no good sticking things together