Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My F Weg Tungy

Top work as usual Jeff. How long before it's on the road?

Post Thanks / Like

Really liking the engine colour combination, works well.

Post Thanks / Like

Nad, every time I work on it I feel like i'm getting closer to it being on the road then I find another thing that needs cleaning or buying etc and the end date feels further away again I want it on the road in the next couple of months, was aiming for fcs but i doubt it will get done by then but you never know!

Goobie, i think i've just about got away with the colours, wasn't sure at first but its starting to look good now its all together

got the turbo, support brackets and down pipe on now as well and had a test fit of the first section of the new stainless exhaust

Committee Member
    Social Media
    Post Thanks / Like

Love this thread

Post Thanks / Like

Ordered a load of electrical parts to wire up the power steering, Nodiz system and re-wire the connector of death and engine loom so I have all the looms in before dropping the engine back in.

The lots of parts picture:

Received the ebay power steering control kit so wired it all up to test if it works and it does I now have adjustable electric power steering in a R5! Once the dash is in I can place the control knob and tidy up the cables etc but I'm very happy that it works as its taken some effort!

This is the clio control box that the control kit plugs into:

The control knob with freestyle steering wheel:

Also re-wired the OE engine loom to remove the perc fan wiring and replace the tubing. The rad fan temp sensor wiring had been removed in place of a fan switch so I put this back in so I can run the fan off the temp sensor instead of having to turn it on and off all the time.

While doing the re-wire I decided it was only right to ditch the OE connector of death for a modern waterproof replacement. I used a Deutsch DT 12 way connector which costs about £20 and is a great replacement for anyone having problems with the OE connector. I also put a new sealed rad fan power connector on although it's not shown in the picture.

re-wired loom:

New connector:

Post Thanks / Like

Really nice work. I remember seeing this car for sale a few years ago. Can't believe it hid so much rot.

I wish mine was this advanced - time to get excited about getting it running.
    Last edited by Jimmy5; 06-05-2014 at 16:01.

Post Thanks / Like

yeah there was a bit of rust hidden away on this!

Your's is coming along nicely won't be long till your back in the driving seat, I can't wait to get the lump back in mine and fire it up

Post Thanks / Like

That's really impressive stuff Really enjoying this thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Top work with the loom Jeff! I was looking at the same plug to chop out my death connecter block to.

Post Thanks / Like

Engine went in this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

nice work there fella

Post Thanks / Like

#stunning

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking very fresh mate, excellent work!

Post Thanks / Like

this is really top notch stuff jeff, recon at this rate it will be @ the next surrey meet

keep up the great work boss

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys, its really coming together now, I'm actually trying to get it at least running and mot'd by the end of the month as I'd still like to take it to the national day so we will see, just ordered the last batch of parts i think I need so waiting on them to get it finished...

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Good lad, I'm also very keen to get mine to the national day, I think you've got a better chance than me at the moment looking good as always Jeff

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Your car is coming along well. It looks great!!

I think the modification to the connector of death is a great thing for reliability.

I know you have a lot on but maybe write a quick guide to doing it? Where you get the parts from, cost etc

Would be a worthy addition to the website.

Post Thanks / Like

as per Liam's request I have written a how to on the connector change that I will get posted very soon.

My next custom/modern upgrade is to the OE heater fan. The OE fan is naff, it breaks and is exposed to the elements and there is no pollen/dust filter in front of it so craps gets in the heater/fan/your face etc.

i have come up with a solution that will enable a cheap small radiator fan to be mounted in place of the OE fan and then fit some filter material over the top to be held down by the OE fan guard.

Here are some pics of where I'm at with it.

Small fan with all the brackets and mounts cut off of it:

I cut the middle section down in the fan box and re-routed the cables

and here is the fan fitted in the box:

I need to wire a sealed connector onto the cables and route through the bulk head, more pics to follow once its complete.

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

That looks great!! I love OE but I think making the 5 more reliable in all aspects is a great way forward too

Keep up the cracking work!

Post Thanks / Like

Got some clio stalks and an OMP boss to fit the clio column, currently modding the dash to get it all to fit.

Post Thanks / Like

i really like the heater fan mod mate. and more in-depth details on re routing cables etc

Post Thanks / Like

Got some more done last night, repacked the driveshafts with grease and connected them to the car. Started to put all the water hoses back in the engine bay.

In my quest for a more modern/ quiet/ reliable vehicle I have decided to sound proof the entire car with Silent Coat 2mm Damping Mat. This should help take away the tin can feeling when closing a door and lower the road noise and being a sound engineer I want my sound system to sound good so this will also help with this.

Few pics of the work so far:

Before:

after so far...

and my trusty helper Fred the cat testing it out

Post Thanks / Like

Wow great stuff mate will love to come and see your handy work my dad owns a shop by carshalton ponds so know carshalton well

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithyr5gt View Post
    i really like the heater fan mod mate. and more in-depth details on re routing cables etc
    I was hoping it would work on the oe rheostat so the speed control on the dash would control it but it would seem that the rheostat in my fan doesn't work, i'm waiting to see if mike can get spares, in the mean time I got a PWM controller with a potentiometer that controls the speed of the fan off ebay that I am going to try and wire into the dash somehow, it will give infinite adjustment of the fan speed from off to on full, the fan pushes some serious air at full speed so will clear a misty window in no time!

In theory the oe speed controller should work and you just need to pull the wires out the fan box , extend them through the fire wall so you can connect to the fan in the bulk head.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dre5gtt View Post
    Wow great stuff mate will love to come and see your handy work my dad owns a shop by carshalton ponds so know carshalton well
    send me a pm next time you are coming over this way and you can come over for a cup of tea and a look at the 5

Post Thanks / Like

Good work. Fred appears to be padding down the last of the sound proofing. Usually cats just want to supervise from a superior position.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ninebar View Post
    send me a pm next time you are coming over this way and you can come over for a cup of tea and a look at the 5
    Cool mate will bring my 5 Down to

Post Thanks / Like

Real thorough job

Yet another car that has vastly improved

Keep the pics coming.........i may not always comment, but im always interested

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    Good work. Fred appears to be padding down the last of the sound proofing. Usually cats just want to supervise from a superior position.
    Fred has been in there with me for the complete rebuild, I think he'd pick up a spanner and help if he could, Barney my other cat is more of a passer by or just pops in for a sleep, they literally did a one in one out for a sleep in the drivers seat the other night....

more cat in the car photos

Post Thanks / Like

bank holiday update, got lots done, its starting to look like a car again!

Installed the sound proofing over the rest of the bulkhead so I could get the dash and electrics back in. I got the dash connected back to the battery so I could test some of the custom wiring I have installed for the Nodiz, power steering and heater fan and it all seems to work well, having power steering is real nice

Once I have the car up and running with all the electrics off the stock stalks and switches, so I can test them, I'll then do the custom wiring for the Clio stalks and some sort of push button start set up or mount the 5 ignition barrel some how. I had to cut the dash up a fair bit to get the clio stalks to fit so will try and mound some plastic around them to make it look nice or maybe get a clio shroud and cut back more dash so that can fit in...

This is the heater fan mod installed with air filter material over the fan.

Nodiz unit wired into custom loom.

Oil cooler installed and some more engine pipes in. Going to get it all running off the stock pipe routes, then re-route some pipes to clean the bay up when I drain the fluids after the run in period.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow this is such a sweet build.

You need to fit some of those cat radiator cradles in the rear quarter cards so they can cruise with you.

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

I love reading this thread

Your car is shaping up to be amazing once it's finished.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    Wow this is such a sweet build.

You need to fit some of those cat radiator cradles in the rear quarter cards so they can cruise with you.

These are amasing! I think I need a couple in the house

Post Thanks / Like

Got some more done over the weekend, I should be able to get the engine fired up this week. Need to fill the gearbox and engine with oil, fill the cooling system and then make up some ignition leads once the cable arrives then it will be ready to test.

Got my new exhaust test fitted, forgot to take a photo though it all fits well but I could do with the car on a lift to do it properly so once the car is drivable I'll take it down the road to the body shop and use their lift to get it fitted and sealed properly before it gets mot'd etc..

Installed a campus fuel filler neck, this was mainly as it was cheaper than buying a new reserve fuel tank strap It also gives better access to the o/s damper adjuster. Also got the rest of the fuel system sorted with a new custom fuel pump bracket and fuel filter set up with some new fuel pipes.

Done some more soundproofing so the carpet could go back in, I did clean the carpet but i think it needs another go as its still a bit shabby. Welded up some custom seat fixing nut plates. Weld nut onto a bit of flat bar to make mounting the front seats easy and put the drivers seat in. Got a new steering wheel on the way as well.

Piped up the rest of the engine and stuck the carb back on.

Here are a few pictures:

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the info mate i will definitely be doing this after fcs. ur work is awesome mate well done!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Getting close now Jeff.

I've got the campus pipe set up to, mainly to save space and to keep it simple and tidy as a bonus.

Are you going to be fitting side decals?

Post Thanks / Like

Looks mint mate top work

Post Thanks / Like

Looking great jeff

Post Thanks / Like

cheers chaps, it is close, I filled the engine up with oil last night and cranked it over to get the oil flowing around to the turbo and it all seems to be flowing nicely. Just need to fill the cooling system, buy a couple of cans of petrol and make up the ht leads then I can fire it up.

Got a steering wheel now as well, so have been able to get a proper feel of the power steering. It is really nice, feels nice and light just like the steering in my Fiancee's clio that has the same column. Spent most of last night just spinning the wheels around in the garage one handed

This is the mounting plate I made for the outer rail on the clio seats. I welded a weld nut on to a section of flat bar, long enough so I can hold onto it as the bolt is screwed into it, something that was proving difficult with a spanner and a single nut/washer set up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goobie View Post
    Getting close now Jeff.

I've got the campus pipe set up to, mainly to save space and to keep it simple and tidy as a bonus.

Are you going to be fitting side decals?
    yes mate once all the body work is back on i have oe decals to fit. the campus set up is definitely much neater and simpler

Post Thanks / Like

Got the last few bits sorted on the car to get it fired up over the weekend.

Connected fuel lines to the carb and found that the fuel pump won't run without the fuel pump relay getting a signal from the AEI unit so had to bypass the relay to get the pump working. Once I did that I found I had no fuel and I could hear the pump grinding to a halt, found I had the pipes crossed to the fuel pressure regulator. swapped them round and had fuel at the carb. Also made up my HT leads and fitted an oil catch tank.

Tried to fire it up but no luck, it was trying to go but kept stalling like it was firing too early or late, think my base ignition timing is out so had to pop out and buy a timing light gun. Going to set it all up with that tonight and see what happens.

Didn't get any pics of that so here is one of my exhaust...can't do an update without pictures right?...

Post Thanks / Like

can't do an update without pictures right?...
    Correct.

Post Thanks / Like

I've spent most of the last week trying to get the engine to fire up on the Nodiz system and I'm not having much luck. I also don't seem to be the only one having issues following posting on the RTOC facebook group. Seems to be an issue getting a reliable signal from the crank sensor which is causing the timing to fire way out. Got some advice from another member so will be trying that this week...

Got a few more parts back from the spray shop, tailgate, doors and one wing.

Post Thanks / Like

I got it started! then it died and wouldnt start again I swapped the crank sensor for a spare and re-did the earth for the sensor wiring shield. It sounded like it was firing on time and it started then it died and was playing up again....

I'm going to change the shielded cable supplied with the Nodiz for some braided screen star quad mic cable I use at work as I don't think the supplied cable is providing enough shielding. I'm getting a lot of sync loss showing on the software, meaning the coils are firing all over the place.

Post Thanks / Like

I've finally found out the cause of the starting problems with the Nodiz ignition. Narrowed it down to interference on the crank sensor wiring by testing for an AC voltage across the two wires at the Nodiz plug. The interference was coming from the spark plug leads I made to fit the coil pack location, I'd used standard wire core cable, I should be using suppressed high resistance cable that shields against electrical interference.

When cranking the engine over with the leads disconnected from the coil pack there was a steady 2 volts, with the leads connected I was getting a voltage spike as the engine fired and locked up. I decided to try the leads supplied with the system that were too short to mount the coil pack anywhere useful and it fired up straight away. I've ordered up some new suppressed HT cable to make some longer leads to suit my coil pack location.

Here is a video of it starting on the Nodiz.

http://youtu.be/NwonlOmTXUo

Also done the rest of the soundproofing in the boot and on the roof.

Last edited by Jeff Ninebar; 26-06-2014 at 11:02.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Great news Jeff I take it 1/4 mile Times aren't important with all that sound deadening

Trader
    GT Turbo Spares co.uk
    South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Surrey meet soon then

Post Thanks / Like

Not too bothered about 1/4mile times, not really building it for that, the sound deadening does add a fair bit of weight, the 285 cam upgrade should cancel out the extra weight

Mike, soon I hope!
    Last edited by Jeff Ninebar; 26-06-2014 at 11:27.

Trader
    GT Turbo Spares co.uk
    South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike, soon I hope!
    Excellent be nice to see it in the flesh and we have a few months of good weather left.

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent work fella